Old 03-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Alien and Blade Runner in the same universe?

I've always wondered have the two been connected beyond both having the same director. Think about it, both have dominating corporations Tyrell (Blade Runner) and Weyland (Alien). Now, I know there are some inconsistencies--specifically in terms of how Blade Runner takes place in 2018 while Alien takes place in 2122--and how Blade Runner features advance Replicants while Alien only has androids. We know in Blade Runner Replicants were outlawed, but if they are good they don't really have to worry about anything. What if after Tyrell was killed the company bans the making of all future Replicants. This could lead into Weyland coming along, making the first androids because they're easier to control, and eventually using them to their advantage for planet and organism exploration (Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Prometheus). I just would like to get others opinion on this subject because I'm really fascinated by the idea.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:19 PM
This is the alternative possibility that it really bothers me no one ever talks about. The debate is always going back and forth - even between the people who made Blade Runner - about whether Deckard was a replicant or not, but no one asks the obvious question: couldn't he have been an alien? Think about it. Tyrell suffers a catastrophic failure since their cost structure, exacerbated by the new shift in macroeconomic forces them into bankruptcy. Meanwhile, Deckard, free from having to worry about being hunted down, can go to a distant planet in order to discover his true sense through meditation and lots of alone time. Meanwhile Weyland - once a subsidiary of Tyrell which has become its own powerful monopolistic force - realizes that, in discovering his true self, Deckard has become a powerful tool for realizing pure market domination, and so they send a fleet to find him; thus beginning Alien.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:45 PM
This is something Damon Lindelof brought up last year in one of the quotes. I certainly like the thought of it, it's something I'm content with on my own - however you'll find dozens of people who would disagree with that thought for many reasons. It's best left for one's imagination I think. But as for an actual connection, I doubt Ridley even intended it to be so. They're doing that however with Prometheus and Alien. Which I'm content with too.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:01 PM
I think Alien is in the same continuity as Prometheus but not Blade Runner. Blade Runner is in the same universe as Kingdom of Heaven. Prove it's not.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
I've always wondered have the two been connected beyond both having the same director. Think about it, both have dominating corporations Tyrell (Blade Runner) and Weyland (Alien). Now, I know there are some inconsistencies--specifically in terms of how Blade Runner takes place in 2018 while Alien takes place in 2122--and how Blade Runner features advance Replicants while Alien only has androids. We know in Blade Runner Replicants were outlawed, but if they are good they don't really have to worry about anything. What if after Tyrell was killed the company bans the making of all future Replicants. This could lead into Weyland coming along, making the first androids because they're easier to control, and eventually using them to their advantage for planet and organism exploration (Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Prometheus). I just would like to get others opinion on this subject because I'm really fascinated by the idea.
I think the problem with these films existing in the same setting is that they take two very different approaches to artificial intelligence. To me, it doesn't feel as if replicants and androids should be two separate types of robots that coexist in the same universe. The androids in the Alien universe are much more subtle than the replicants in Blade Runner and they're also more loyal to their programming. Ash may have behaved violently at one point in Alien, but that was only because Ripley was interfering with company orders. Bishop rescued Ripley, but only because he was programmed not to allow human beings to be harmed in a mission of action. The replicants, on the other hand, go deliberately against their programming and do, not only what is necessary to obtain their freedom, but they actually turn on their creator when he informs them of the inevitability of their death.

In the Alien universe, you only ever hear the company talk about how "the A2's were always a bit twitchy." That seems to be the extent of the problem the people in that universe have with robotic beings. If replicants existed in the same universe, or the writers intend to have them exist in the same realm in future installments, they're going to have a difficult time explaining why we never heard about the replicants in the Alien films and vice versa. Also, if you listen closely in the Weyland viral video with Guy Pierce, Peter Weyland says that by the year 2033 the Weyland corporation will be able to make robotic beings that are nearly indistinguishable from humans. He speaks about them as if they are the first of their kind, which would make the existence of replicants in the Alien universe impossible since the replicants existed in the Blade Runner universe during the year 2018.

The names, replicant and android, are pretty much arbitrary titles that refer to the exact same concept; a robotic being that resembles a human in appearance. So you see, there is no like universe where replicants and androids coexist because they are essentially the same thing. They're just two different intrepretaions of the same kind of being, not two separate breeds of robot.

Unfortunately, I think the guy who did the rewrite for Prometheus, (Lindelof) got people overly excited about the idea of a crossover of the Alien and Blade Runner franchises. I don't remember the actual quote, but he said something akin to "they're will be lots of easter eggs for fans of both films in Prometheus." That got people thinking that they might see some things from Blade Runner in the film, but I think what he really meant was that fans of Blade Runner will enjoy Prometheus because of some similar themes that might be explored in the film. I don't think you'll see the Tyrell corporation emblem or anything like that in an actual scene in Prometheus. If we do, Lindelof will have a hell of a time explaining the appearance of such a thing in a possible Prometheus sequel. Then again, we are talking about the asshole who worked on the most convoluted show in TV history, Lost. Sorry, I just have no faith in the guy.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycheoutsteve View Post
I think the problem with these films existing in the same setting is that they take two very different approaches to artificial intelligence. To me, it doesn't feel as if replicants and androids should be two separate types of robots that coexist in the same universe. The androids in the Alien universe are much more subtle than the replicants in Blade Runner and they're also more loyal to their programming. Ash may have behaved violently at one point in Alien, but that was only because Ripley was interfering with company orders. Bishop rescued Ripley, but only because he was programmed not to allow human beings to be harmed in a mission of action. The replicants, on the other hand, go deliberately against their programming and do, not only what is necessary to obtain their freedom, but they actually turn on their creator when he informs them of the inevitability of their death.

In the Alien universe, you only ever hear the company talk about how "the A2's were always a bit twitchy." That seems to be the extent of the problem the people in that universe have with robotic beings. If replicants existed in the same universe, or the writers intend to have them exist in the same realm in future installments, they're going to have a difficult time explaining why we never heard about the replicants in the Alien films and vice versa. Also, if you listen closely in the Weyland viral video with Guy Pierce, Peter Weyland says that by the year 2033 the Weyland corporation will be able to make robotic beings that are nearly indistinguishable from humans. He speaks about them as if they are the first of their kind, which would make the existence of replicants in the Alien universe impossible since the replicants existed in the Blade Runner universe during the year 2018.

The names, replicant and android, are pretty much arbitrary titles that refer to the exact same concept; a robotic being that resembles a human in appearance. So you see, there is no like universe where replicants and androids coexist because they are essentially the same thing. They're just two different intrepretaions of the same kind of being, not two separate breeds of robot.

Unfortunately, I think the guy who did the rewrite for Prometheus, (Lindelof) got people overly excited about the idea of a crossover of the Alien and Blade Runner franchises. I don't remember the actual quote, but he said something akin to "they're will be lots of easter eggs for fans of both films in Prometheus." That got people thinking that they might see some things from Blade Runner in the film, but I think what he really meant was that fans of Blade Runner will enjoy Prometheus because of some similar themes that might be explored in the film. I don't think you'll see the Tyrell corporation emblem or anything like that in an actual scene in Prometheus. If we do, Lindelof will have a hell of a time explaining the appearance of such a thing in a possible Prometheus sequel. Then again, we are talking about the asshole who worked on the most convoluted show in TV history, Lost. Sorry, I just have no faith in the guy.
I understand your points. I think Ridley never intended for the two to be in the same universe, he just has a similar style so it is of course more than just coincidental that the two would look similar in terms of being this dystopian future landscape. Your stance on Androids and Replicants is what can be argued with regards to the two films being more than a hundred years apart from one another. Like I said, the murder of Tyrell could shock the company and place them in this state of fear, forcing them to shut down shop permanently. Weyland could be the remains of Tyrell Corporation or even a competitor that came further down the line promising people obedient servants that don't develop emotions and only do as they're programmed to do. It was said by Fassbender that his character David is one of more than 20,000 identical models all used around the world as maids, drivers, etc.
As for Pearce making the announcement for the new direction of the Weyland company by 2033, I bet when Scot gets around to doing the next Blade Runner or whatever he decides to do, it'll be set further in the future.
And I think this image can be considered just a simple easter egg, but it's definitely a tip in the right direction for my stance.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:48 PM
This would be interesting, especially since Aliens & The Terminator are in the same universe (based off of the mention of Cyberdyne in T2 & Aliens). That would mean that Alien, Terminator, & Blade Runner all happened in the same universe.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:44 AM
Quote:
That screenshot of the same "PURGE" message is just an homage to ALIEN for amusement's sake. Nothing more.
Films constantly have references to past movies - the creators' own or other peoples' - all the time.
If I remember right that purge was for the Nostromo to be blasted into simthereens, yet it's used on Deckard hover car during takeoff in BLADE RUNNER, right? Two completely different actions for the same command? How is this anything more than an amusing bit of trivia?

Of course you don't see Earth in ALIEN, but the only similarity I really see between the two movies is Scott's vision at the time of completely immersive environments with elaborate sets and models to try to create a world drastically different from what we knew from 1980-ish.

It can be argued for or against and as long as someone has viable arguments from either side it might be fun to debate. I personally feel that it's not consciously on Scott's mind to do this. I would say any similarities are because it's directed by the same person working at a time in which his style was similar.

Last edited by KcMsterpce; 03-19-2012 at 08:52 AM..
Old 03-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Quote:
I understand your points. I think Ridley never intended for the two to be in the same universe, he just has a similar style so it is of course more than just coincidental that the two would look similar in terms of being this dystopian future landscape. Your stance on Androids and Replicants is what can be argued with regards to the two films being more than a hundred years apart from one another. Like I said, the murder of Tyrell could shock the company and place them in this state of fear, forcing them to shut down shop permanently. Weyland could be the remains of Tyrell Corporation or even a competitor that came further down the line promising people obedient servants that don't develop emotions and only do as they're programmed to do. It was said by Fassbender that his character David is one of more than 20,000 identical models all used around the world as maids, drivers, etc.
As for Pearce making the announcement for the new direction of the Weyland company by 2033, I bet when Scot gets around to doing the next Blade Runner or whatever he decides to do, it'll be set further in the future.
I agree with that last sentence. The best way to connect the two would be to set the Blade Runner reboot after Prometheus and Alien. The Replicants seem to be more advanced than the androids, so I think they should emerge further down the timeline.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:19 PM
I need to watch Blade Runner again; it's been too long.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
I need to watch Blade Runner again; it's been too long.
I remember last time I saw it I found it really overrated with exceptional art direction and a brilliant Rutger Hauer.

Alien on the other hand, is a downright masterpiece that I need to see again.

That Prometheus trailer reminded me how good Ridley Scott is with sci-fi.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Nice, and I can get on board with that. I've always wondered the same question with the events in the movies I, Robot and ending with the Matrix Trilogy. Maybe, squeeze in Terminator somewhere in there.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
I remember last time I saw it I found it really overrated with exceptional art direction and a brilliant Rutger Hauer.

Alien on the other hand, is a downright masterpiece that I need to see again.

That Prometheus trailer reminded me how good Ridley Scott is with sci-fi.
Which version did you catch? Try the Final Cut version, though the Theatrical Cut is the one for some, Guillermo del Toro included.