Old 03-25-2012, 01:27 PM
The Shawshank Redemption

This is my favorite film of all time. One of the things I enjoy about it so much (besides Freeman's voice over) is how it feels like a film made in the 40's and 50's. Robbins and Freeman's friendship on-screen is one of the strongest to be told. And it has one of the most satisfying endings ever to be put on screen.

Does anybody else feel this way about this film?
Old 03-25-2012, 01:58 PM
It's a great, great film. I can even put my cynic hat on and still love the movie from start to finish. I've heard some say that it is too sentimental/contrived, but as Mark Kermode says, "There is a whole lot of Shawshank before we get to the Redemption." I honestly couldn't see them ending it any other way. It's also a nice compliment to Darabont's most recent film, The Mist. Shawshank shows what happens when you don't give up hope, while The Mist shows what happens when you do.

Last edited by Bourne101; 03-25-2012 at 02:02 PM..
Old 03-25-2012, 02:01 PM
one of the best drama's of all time.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Shawshank is undoubtedly one of the greatest dramas I've seen. I'm getting speechless just trying to describe it. I truly love this film. There's so much there to digest. That quote by Kermode sums it up to a tee.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:43 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with all of you. I just wish I had seen this in the theater. None of my friends wanted to go see a "men in prison" film.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:59 PM
^ then you should have went alone...they'd have only gotten in the way of a film like this
Old 03-25-2012, 06:02 PM
I should have but I was unconfortable going to the movies alone. Now I could care less. I actually saw it for the first time, 2 days after it lost Best Picture to Forest Gump. Now I liked Gump but I was so bummed Shawshank didn't win.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Forrest Gump is a great film but Shawshank was by far the better film that year. Hell, Shawshank is better than a lot of Best Picture winners over the last twenty years.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:22 AM
A movie I have seen a million times and can watch a million more times and NEVER get sick and tired of it. Whenever it's on television, I have to stop and watch it. A true classic. A masterpiece!

Get busy living or get busy dying! - one of my favorite movie quotes of all time!

along wit this:

"Hope is a great thing. Maybe the best thing."
Old 03-26-2012, 06:39 AM
It used to be my all-time favorite film... but then I discovered how many parallels it has with "Escape from Alcatraz" and, while I still appreciate it, my love for it has somewhat diminished. : ?
Old 03-26-2012, 07:28 AM
Shawshank is one of the greatest character-driven dramas of all time. Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins deliver awesome performances in it. I love the story, the characters, the direction, and the ending. There are so many awesome scenes in the movie also that I would watch the entire movie for one of them, individually, alone. From the roof tarring scene, the opera scene, or Red's final parole meeting . . . simply fantastic.

My one beef with the movie is Gil Bellows as Tommy. I didn't like the performance and therefore the character. It seemed forced and over-the-top, and stood out - in a bad way - against the likes of Robbins, Freeman, and even William Sadler, Bob Gunton, James Whitmore, and Clancy Brown.

(And I would've gone with Pulp Fiction for the Best Picture Oscar, not this or Forrest Gump.)
Old 03-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Hands down my favorite film. I have probably seen it more than any other movie in my entire movie watching life. Even though I already know whats going to happen I still get a nervous feeling in the scene with Red in the field and hes looking around, that's how strongly influential the character is to me, I get nervous for him that someone is gonna catch him.

Great movie to update from DVD to Blu Ray, it might not be visually compelling but its a must own for me.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearMisfit View Post
Hands down my favorite film. I have probably seen it more than any other movie in my entire movie watching life. Even though I already know whats going to happen I still get a nervous feeling in the scene with Red in the field and hes looking around, that's how strongly influential the character is to me, I get nervous for him that someone is gonna catch him.
I know how you feel. I get goosebumps everytime when Andy is entering Shawshank the first time.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight101 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with all of you. I just wish I had seen this in the theater. None of my friends wanted to go see a "men in prison" film.
I wasn't old enough to see the film because I was a kid back then but I really wish I could have seen it. They really haven't had a movie of that caliber in a long time. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying movies have been terrible but there haven't been many long and in depth classics.

And most of the best films have been "men in prison" films IMO

The Great Escape
Cool Hand Luke
One Flew Over the Coo Coos nest
Escape from Alcatraz
Green Mile
Old 03-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
It used to be my all-time favorite film... but then I discovered how many parallels it has with "Escape from Alcatraz" and, while I still appreciate it, my love for it has somewhat diminished. : ?
My favorite scenes in that film was the entire time Morris had called the guy Litmus and he introduced him to Charlie Butts "Charlie Butts, you got a funny name kid" "Oh yeah whats yours?" "Al Capone!" and he was dead serious about it too.

I also like the mutual respect between Morris and English.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:19 PM
It's ranked #1 on imbd but it's not even on AFI's top 100.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearMisfit View Post
My favorite scenes in that film was the entire time Morris had called the guy Litmus and he introduced him to Charlie Butts "Charlie Butts, you got a funny name kid" "Oh yeah whats yours?" "Al Capone!" and he was dead serious about it too.

I also like the mutual respect between Morris and English.
"I'm Charlie Butts"

"CHARLIE'S BUTT?!?"
Old 04-21-2012, 05:18 PM
A truly wonderful film. This really captures the "Hollywood Magic" that we're always hearing about but rarely see. It's like a collaboration between so many great talents for a common cause that went as well as one could ever hope for, and much, much better. I couldn't imagine one actor or crew member being replaced in the film, even Morgan Freeman, whose character Red was original a white, red-haired man in the novella the film was based off of. Speaking of its source material, this is one film that easily surpasses the text from which it was derived in just about every way. I can't recommend this film enough.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Fanatic View Post
It's ranked #1 on imbd but it's not even on AFI's top 100.
Yes it is on the 10th anniversary list. Around the time of the first list around '98 it wasn't considered one of the all time best ever it wasn't nominated for best director and its rated an 8.1/10 on RT with 6 rotten reviews. IMHO a tad bit overrated on the IMDB but would probably still make it in my top 5 of the decade. Pulp Fiction was much more groundbreaking for that year.

Last edited by creekin111; 04-21-2012 at 05:29 PM..
Old 04-23-2012, 01:55 AM
To me, this is by far the most overrated movie ever. Yes ever as in of all time. I seriously don't get how such tripe is so loved by film "connoisseurs". Talk about a film being heavy handed and overtly disingenuous. Its not Forrest Gump or Green Mile bad but its not far behind.

Sleepers told a very similar story in a far more powerful, poignant, realistic, engrossing, competent, and responsible manner. The fact Shawshank gets so much praise baffles me to this day. I just do not see it.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
My one beef with the movie is Gil Bellows as Tommy. I didn't like the performance and therefore the character. It seemed forced and over-the-top, and stood out - in a bad way - against the likes of Robbins, Freeman, and even William Sadler, Bob Gunton, James Whitmore, and Clancy Brown.
I don't really have a problem with Bellows' performance but the way his character's story develops is the one false note in Darabont's script. King gets to the same place in the novella in a far more realistic and less melodramatic way.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
Yes it is on the 10th anniversary list. Around the time of the first list around '98 it wasn't considered one of the all time best ever it wasn't nominated for best director and its rated an 8.1/10 on RT with 6 rotten reviews. IMHO a tad bit overrated on the IMDB but would probably still make it in my top 5 of the decade. Pulp Fiction was much more groundbreaking for that year.
There's about 10 movies on that list that just don't belong. Shawshank could have easily replaced any of the 10. Doesn't surprise me that Critics would put Pulp Fiction on it while Shawshank goes unoticed at that time.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Don't you know that Quentin Tarantino's the super-mega-genius of our time? He trumps all, according to some critics...ugh. What an ego-maniac.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Fanatic View Post
There's about 10 movies on that list that just don't belong. Shawshank could have easily replaced any of the 10. Doesn't surprise me that Critics would put Pulp Fiction on it while Shawshank goes unoticed at that time.
Shawshank was very weak box office compared to other classic films of its time so don't just blame the AFI or critics because general audiences didn't embrace it as well during its initial release.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exophrine View Post
Don't you know that Quentin Tarantino's the super-mega-genius of our time? He trumps all, according to some critics...ugh. What an ego-maniac.
Who are you talking to?

If that was directed to me I don't like Quention Tarantino as a person and a filmaker. He's a squirelly fucker who can't keep his ADHD together. He's one of those I would hate to be stuck in an elevator with.

Aside from Reservoir Dogs I don't like any of his films. Although I can see why critics/people would and do.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:06 PM
Somebody doesn't like Quentin Tarantino?

Pulp Fiction is pretty great, but still overrated. I don't think it's one of the greatest movies ever made like so many people do.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:42 AM
I'm not too fond of him, no...

Love some of his movies, but even then, his filmmaking can get verbose and stretched out longer than it should. Truth be told, a lot of his movies can go without being so damn long...screw that whole "setting the mood/environment" argument. There's setting the mood and then there's just not leaving film on the cutting room floor...
Old 04-25-2012, 06:55 AM
Shawshank is one of my favourite movies of all time because it has this great watchability factor. Whenver I catch it on TV, I have to sit and watch it until the end.

I remember being blown away by it the first time I saw it. I honestly didn't see the end coming at all.
Quote:
I had know idea, he was planning to escape all along!