Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Celeb Talk/Gossip
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 03-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Lee's actions amplify the irony of him directing Oldboy.
Is he still attached to that? Fuck, if the schmoes around here actually like an Oldboy remake I'm going to be more annoying than I am during conversations about The Departed.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Is he still attached to that? Fuck, if the schmoes around here actually like an Oldboy remake I'm going to be more annoying than I am during conversations about The Departed.
I'm pretty sure he's still attached.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-31-2012, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
anytime anyone commits a crime, their race is mentioned! I mean, to say that is something solely to black people is a fabrication. When someone is robbed, they ask what he looked like and when you build a house, you start with a foundation, what race the person is, is that foundation! White Male, Mid 20's, Black hair, Pierced nose!

You know, I thought someone might try to construe it as if I was talking merely of describing someone, but then I said "Nah, these guys are too with it to keep a straight face and act like I don't know race is a commonly used description.

Dude, you know what I'm talking about. It's the same reason there are a bunch of jokes about black people committing crimes and aren't any about whites. It's the reason the truck driver in Goodfellas blames two *blacks* instead of just saying someone stole his truck (and the reason this trope is used in lots of movies, usually letting the audience laugh at society). The same reason that some lady killed her kid some years back and said her kid was kidnapped by a black carjacker (there's hundreds of stories like that one). And it's probably the same reason some random guy put some other random guy in a situation where someone got shot. No Sir, sorry but I'm not talking about the response to the question, "Sir, can you describe the attacker."

When white people are wronged by white people, sure - race gets brought up. It's not one of the first things that gets brought up though. I don't have any non-anecdotal proof here, but you could start finding some by watching episodes of COPS. ANd hell, why don't you look for some movie theater rants here on these boards. Just watch how many times it gets mentioned that an annoying theater patron was black. And seriously, I don't think you believe that if people do it when they get annoyed at the movies that they aren't going to do it when they got robbed.

So yeah - the root of my point: I think it's silly when people act like blacks are the only one who bring up race. It's the same reason there is the existence of phrases like "Now I'm not racist but…" and "I know this doesn't matter but *whisper* they were black…"

Last edited by The Postmaster General; 03-31-2012 at 08:27 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-01-2012, 12:36 AM
As much as I love the condescension sir... you made a point and I responded to it. Whether or not you clearly conveyed what you wanted to say or not, what was written is what I responded to and it was all very in context.

I have a lot I would love to talk with you about your perceptions of Racial Stereotypes and the over PC world we live in... but at the risk of derailing the thread any more, I will let it rest!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
As much as I love the condescension sir... you made a point and I responded to it. Whether or not you clearly conveyed what you wanted to say or not, what was written is what I responded to and it was all very in context.

I have a lot I would love to talk with you about your perceptions of Racial Stereotypes and the over PC world we live in... but at the risk of derailing the thread any more, I will let it rest!

What's your deal, man? I was in pretty good spirits when I replied and was even glad that it was you I was responding too and not someone I was unfamiliar with. What made you think I was being condescending? I bet it was the part when I called you "Dude." That always gets me in trouble. I call people dude, and they are all like, "Look how he thinks he so much better than us." I'll learn man, I'll learn. Give me time, dude… I… I… mean, "man."

Really though, to tell me that I only have one shot to make a point, and if I don't make it clear the first time - that's the end ----- Those aren't discussion rules, thems debate rules and the last I check I didn't sign up for the debate club. It's also, what's the word you used? Condescending, as in -- You only get one chance to make a point with me. Otherwise, discussion over!

And do you really think talking about perceptions of race in a thread about Trayor Martin and Spike Lee is off-topic? That your final basis for ending the discussion?

I think I get your point, though. Essentially what you are saying is "HEY LOOK OVER THERE!!!!"

Last edited by The Postmaster General; 04-01-2012 at 10:06 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Again, your condescension is something I have come to look forward to in all of your posts! Whether it is to me or to someone else!

But, the reason I chose to not go down the path of Race Relations in this thread is because topics like that are hot button, and your condescension aside, you are a person capable of such a discussion without things getting heated, others may not be and it may lead to a heated thread, where one doesn't need to be. (Also you are more than welcome to amend an original point you made, but to talk down to me for replying to your original point prior to you clarifying, and then to talk down to me again after calling you on it is what the term condescension refers to and means). If you want to continue the discussion, feel free to PM me and we can discuss further, but there really is no need to continue this in the thread here.

So, that Spike Lee... what an ass hole, huh?!
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Lol.
That is all.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-01-2012, 02:31 PM
I'm not seeing the condescension.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
I'm not seeing the condescension.
Don't patronise us all dude.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 04-01-2012, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCoverVersion View Post
Don't patronise us all dude.
LOL, sorry.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 04-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
Again, your condescension is something I have come to look forward to in all of your posts! Whether it is to me or to someone else!
This reminds me of Floyd from True Romance.

Quote:
But, the reason I chose to not go down the path of Race Relations in this thread is because topics like that are hot button, and your condescension aside, you are a person capable of such a discussion without things getting heated, others may not be and it may lead to a heated thread, where one doesn't need to be. (Also you are more than welcome to amend an original point you made, but to talk down to me for replying to your original point prior to you clarifying, and then to talk down to me again after calling you on it is what the term condescension refers to and means). If you want to continue the discussion, feel free to PM me and we can discuss further, but there really is no need to continue this in the thread here.
Trying to keep a Spike Lee thread from getting heated is like trying to get Floyd to buy a roll of toilet paper.

Last edited by The Postmaster General; 04-01-2012 at 05:21 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-24-2012, 01:57 AM
Funny on how touchy people are about the subject of race...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8i...-boyfriend_fun
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump