Old 01-04-2012, 02:25 AM
Total Recall [2012] - Len Wiseman

Summary:
Quote:
As the nation states Euromerica and New Shanghai vie for supremacy in the far future, a simple factory worker suffering from violent nightmares (Farrell) also begins to suspect that he's a spy whose memory and personality were erased and replaced, though he is unaware which side of the fight he's on and how important his lost memories will be in its outcome.

Director: Len Wiseman (Underworld, Live Free or Die Hard)
Screenwriter(s): Kurt Wimmer (Equilibrium), Mark Bomback (Unstoppable), James Vanderbilt (Zodiac)

Cast:
  • Colin Farrell as Doug Quaid, a simple worker suffering from strange violent dreams[
  • Kate Beckinsale as Lori, Quaid's wife
  • Jessica Biel as Melina, a prostitute who may have links to Quaid's past
  • Bill Nighy as Kuato, a Euromerican rebel leader
  • Bryan Cranston as Vilos Cohaagen, a powerful corporate leader and main antagonist
  • John Cho as McClane, a suave rep for the futuristic company that offers Quaid the chance to experience an imagined adventure
  • Bokeem Woodbine as Harry, Quaid's best friend
  • Ethan Hawke as an Euromerican scientist
  • Steve Byers as Henry Reed

VFX:

Vids:

Last edited by Digifruitella; 03-28-2012 at 10:01 PM..
Old 01-04-2012, 09:57 AM
I normally would say this sounds like a terrible idea... but I'm lovin the cast. And I believe Len Wiseman will do a good job with it.

Jessica Biel and Kate Beckinsale in one movie looking DAMN sexy... I'm in!
Old 01-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Who is that delicious looking woman on the far left with the short black skirt on?
Is it Jessica Biel? Holy cow, she is smokin'! And Katy as well. WOW! There's 2 good reasons alone to go and see this
Old 01-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Far left is Kate Beckinsale. Two great fuckin' reasons to see this haha
Old 01-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Just fucking call it something else for god damn fuck's sake! I'll watch it, but this is so NOT Total Recall! Come the fuck ON!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:39 PM
I feel you man, they veered off into different territory here from what the synopsis is for the film. Though it doesn't bother me.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Just fucking call it something else for god damn fuck's sake! I'll watch it, but this is so NOT Total Recall! Come the fuck ON!

I think this is supposed to be more of a direct adaptation of the book which Total Recall was based off of. I think they should rename the movie We Can Remember It For You Wholesale since it's going to be more of an adaptation from the book than a remake of the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. I can understand why they are keeping the name though.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Actually, Frosty, it isn't a more direct adaptation. They're putting on their own spin with the story. Philip K. Dick's short story didn't have a far off future of "Euromerica" and "New Shanghai" vying for supremacy, this is a totally new creation by the writers of this film.

Verhoeven's take was actually a bit more faithful to the story than this already is. The beginning of the film was closer to the short story, the entire Mars section of the film is thought up, but it's close to the short story in that it's got a 'dream' that correlates with the events taking up in Mars.

You can actually check out the short story here http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~cavitch/pd..._Wholesale.pdf it's 11 pages long.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Actually, Frosty, it isn't a more direct adaptation. They're putting on their own spin with the story. Philip K. Dick's short story didn't have a far off future of "Euromerica" and "New Shanghai" vying for supremacy, this is a totally new creation by the writers of this film.

Verhoeven's take was actually a bit more faithful to the story than this already is. The beginning of the film was closer to the short story, the entire Mars section of the film is thought up, but it's close to the short story in that it's got a 'dream' that correlates with the events taking up in Mars.

You can actually check out the short story here http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~cavitch/pd..._Wholesale.pdf it's 11 pages long.
Good to know. Thanks man.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:17 PM
I thought this was a terrible idea when I first heard about it but i'm really impressed with the cast. This could definitely be a surprise film of 2012.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:44 PM
I will echo the others and say the cast has me really excited. I'm glad they are doing it differently and not just some bland remake. Looks like it could be really fun.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:03 PM
I'd love to eat Kate as though she were a strawberry sundae. And perhaps Jennifer could be a side dish. She looks rather yummy as well. A double whammy, so to speak. I also shuddered at the thought of a Total Recall remake film. But it does look very promising. Do you think we'll get to see some of Kate's boobs?
Old 01-14-2012, 03:04 AM
Ok, so I just finished reading the Kurt Wimmer draft from Sept. 2010, and I wanted to write a short, ambiguous review. There's still Bomback/Vanderbilt polishes after this one so it's hard to say how much of the this draft is in the final film. But still, read at your own risk.

Anyway.

This draft, is actually very different from both the short story and the Verhoeven adaptation. There are little elements and homages from the short story and '90 version just to sort of be truthful to and to please the fans of the original film.

It starts very differently, and pretty much for the first 30 some pages it establishes Quaid, and his friend and mostly Euromerica, the environment. We don't get to actually see New Shanghai until 30 pages in.. which is basically "Mars" in this new version.

After Quaid visits the implant facility from that point on is when the film kicks into high gear and becomes action filled. We get treated to some very familiar scenes from the '90 film, as homages, which is pretty cool. But overall it's a bit different. There's the scene that fucks with your head - like in the Verhoeven's version when you see Dr. Edgemar who's trying to convince Quaid he's dreaming and stuff, with a different take on it. And there's some cool futuristic chase sequences that sort of reminded me of Minority Report.

Also there is one awesome element, and concept in general that I found to be pretty fucking awesome and an epitome of "classic futurism" and it's a form of 'commute' which later on is practically the final sequence of the film that should be insane.

Since this draft there was a Bomback/Vanderbilt polish so it'd be interesting to know how much will make it into the final film and what has been added for depth, because I do wish it wasn't as 'standard' and they played up the paranoia of the short story and film a bit more. So I hope they worked on that aspect a bit, other than that it felt a bit standard. But still cool enough for me to see this when it gets released.

I'd give this draft a 6.5/10

Last edited by Digifruitella; 01-14-2012 at 03:06 AM..
Old 01-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Kate Beckinsale about her character

Spoiler:
“It’s going really great, and everyone’s very excited about it. I suppose the thing is, Sharon Stone’s interpretation of Lori is safe because my character is more… It is Lori, but it’s an amalgamation of Lori and Richter. So I guess one of the differences about our movie as opposed to their movie is in that period of time they needed her to have a right hand man. I am the right hand man and Lori at the same time. So it’s a little bit more of an amalgamation of a couple of parts.”

“It’s incredible. There’s a lot of stuff that I feel like has only just been possible to do with some of our cars and all that stuff. It’s going to be amazing. And then for me there was a lot of… I mean, I’m beating everyone up. Fighting with Colin [Farrell], fighting with Jessica [Biel]. The fight with Jessica is going to be great. I like the fact that it’s a proper fight. It’s not two girls, and one of them, the shoulder is ripped off, and the bra comes out. It’s not like one of those stupid girl fights. It’s a proper fight.”

http://collider.com/kate-beckinsale-...erview/135923/
Old 01-21-2012, 04:00 PM
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/28001

Quote:
Hows post on Total Recall going?

Im just about wrapping up my directors cut. Producers and editors are tapping their feet as Im on this phone call. Im right in the thick of it. I turn it in in about four days.

This one doesnt use Mars. It uses two Earthbound nation states. When I spoke to Kate a few weeks ago she said this one would be a bit more serious.

I love the original. It exists in a tone that works in that era. Its a bit more of a serious tone, still a hell of a lot of fun though. But its a bit more into the cerebral dilemma that Quaid finds himself faced with.

I always loved the idea of Recall itself does. Whether it takes you to Mars or a tropical island or a different section of a futuristic earth. Its more about the dilemma that sets up. In the Philip K. Dick story he never physically goes to Mars. Its a choose your own adventure book in your mind. So this chooses a different adventure because weve all seen that one and we already love it. That concept of Recall allows you to do any experience. I thought it would be great to do another experience of that.

Any favorite moments you cant wait to share?

I loved shooting the confrontation scene where everything comes into play. Where all the cards are on the table and were trying to answer if were in a fantasy or in reality. I love the scenes that deal with that question. So shooting the scene where youre really having that argument was a lot of fun.

Colin Farrell has been taking a lot of interesting roles lately outside of the action spectrum. Do you feel he brings a certain depth to this action role?

I could not be happier with the guy. It was the perfect blend of the emotion and depth I was hoping for, as well as the action star he aspect he brings to it. Hes a great action star, but the reason you care about him is because he has such a vulnerability. Such a soulful nature. Youre onboard with the action. I grew up watching Harrison Fords action films and you like him because you feel like you might be that way in a certain situation. Hes relatable and has an ability to show vulnerability while being tough at the same time. Which is quite difficult to do.

There were some pretty iconic moments and characters like Johnny Cab and the characters on Mars in the first one. Are any of them returning?

Some of them [the moments] are. I couldnt do this film without having some of those. As a fan of the original I would be disappointed if there werent a few things in there. But I never like to copy moments, so there are shifts in perspectives on some of those. I dont step on the ones from the original, but I have fun acknowledging that we all love some of those moments. As I do.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:10 PM
I'll rather be in a Johnny Cab than in the theatre that is playing this shit! Can we remake/reboot hollywoods asshole so we dont get more of this awkward shit sprayed on the silver screen ?
Old 01-21-2012, 04:19 PM
I was completely against it at first... but the more I hear and see, the more I like and can't wait!
Old 01-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkface View Post
I was completely against it at first... but the more I hear and see, the more I like and can't wait!
darkface, you're such an ass - everytime I pm you, you never answer. bitch
Old 01-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Looks like news are beginning to pick up. Marketing machine ready to be set in motion it seems.

http://collider.com/len-wiseman-unde...erview/139514/

Quote:
Do you know when we’ll see the first trailer for Total Recall?

WISEMAN: I’ve seen it, and it’s great. I believe it will hit in March. I could be wrong, but I think March.

Where are you at now, in the editing process?

WISEMAN: I am two days away from turning in my director’s cut. I’m actually just doing some finishing touches on it. So, I’m done with that, and the studio takes a look at it fairly soon. So far, it’s actually been a very fun process. There’s a lot of excitement around it, and I’m very happy with it.

How long is your cut, at this point?

WISEMAN: I think we’re close to two hours, but it’s not all completely assembled. We still have a lot of the visual effects shots that we’re putting in, last minute. I’ll be here for about 20 hours today, and another 20 hours tomorrow.

Are you at a point where you’ve figured out that there’s a shot or two that you might still need, and you might need to do a day or two of pick-ups?

WISEMAN: I am at that point. I have been very fortunate, on this one, that we got almost everything – I would say 98% of everything – in our shoot. Really, the only things that I have are literally tabletop inserts, like gadgets and buttons and car consoles, and all that boring stuff. Nothing too heavy, thank God.

Is there anything that you’re most excited for fans to see?

WISEMAN: I would say how much it really plays with fantasy versus reality, in a way that I wanted to dive into a little bit more. It’s a thing I’ve always been fascinated about with Philip K. Dick’s story and the concept itself. It really has to operate on two playing fields, at any given time. It’s either the fantasy or reality. That’s the thing that I think is the most exciting. It’s got a load of really fun action sequences and visuals, and a whole new world to experience as well, that is really fun, but what makes that all super-engaging is this constant mystery of what world we’re existing in, whether it’s his fantasy or reality.
Well considering this is a Columbia Pictures release, it could be released with 21 Jump Street on the 16th. Or maybe with Think Like a Man on the 9th, which is a Screen Gems release, which Sony owns along with Columbia. And if it won't. Then I'd guess The Hunger Games on the 23rd

Last edited by Digifruitella; 01-22-2012 at 11:03 AM..
Old 01-30-2012, 10:49 PM
I have a bad, bad feeling about Total Recall (remake).

Boy I hope I am wrong.

Last edited by The DragonKeeper; 01-31-2012 at 10:20 PM..
Old 03-10-2012, 12:43 AM
Trailer this Sunday @ 5pm PST
Old 03-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Where's the trailer? What a tease
Old 03-15-2012, 06:40 AM
Tv Spot

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headlin...=24289&count=0
Old 03-15-2012, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
Old 03-15-2012, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
What? It's better than nothing...

Last edited by God of War; 03-15-2012 at 07:36 AM..
Old 03-15-2012, 08:27 AM
I'm really skeptical about this remake. First of all, Total Recall is not a movie that demands a remake. For me, the first film's mix of schwartzenegger one liners and action combined with an intriguing sci-fi premise works perfectly. I suppose you could make the argument that Verehoven's Total Recall was a little too macho for the source material, but I personally thought that the balance between story and theatrics was well maintained, (especially for a Schwartzenneger film). They also made the story more interesting by taking the setting from Earth to Mars, which deviated from Phillip K. Dick's story a bit.

Now we have Len Wiseman directing the remake, who I consider to be a mediocre director. IMO, Wiseman is only a notch or two above Paul W.S. Anderson, and the two are very similar. I did enjoy Live Free Or Die Hard, but it does pale in comparison to the other films in the franchise. Maybe I would be more excited about this remake if they had actually added anything to the story that would up my anticipation for it. Seriously though, Euromerica? New Shanghai? It sounds like an 8th grader came up with some of the story elements in this. The only thing that makes me slightly intrigued about it is the inclusion of Colin Farrell in the lead role.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Quote:
What? It's better than nothing...
I am not upset the was almost no footage...I am upset cause it looks bad.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Whats up with these teasers FOR trailers lately? Just release the damn thing....
Old 03-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Looks good, just as I imagined it when reading that script
Old 03-15-2012, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
I am not upset the was almost no footage...I am upset cause it looks bad.
Ah ok. Gotchya now. I thought you got mad cuz I posted it
Old 03-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Old 03-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Trailer coming soon, for real clocked at 2:15
Old 03-24-2012, 06:48 PM
While I still enjoy the Arnold movie, it is dated. The cast for the remake/renewal/whatever is looking good (in more ways than one) and it'll be interesting to see the new take on the story.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Geeze I thought the trailer was supposed to hit like 2 weeks ago? Lessssgo!
Old 03-27-2012, 04:31 PM
http://youtu.be/T-Jt9RCy4v4

*waits for teaser for a preview haters to come in*

looks good
Old 03-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Old 03-27-2012, 08:08 PM
The teaser looked cool, I like Colin's "fuck it" attitude (too many actors take themselves WAY too seriously), and Wiseman makes Underworld look slick even if they bore me to tears now.

It's got a shot at being cool if its R rated. If they go PG 13 they can suck my scrotum.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:20 PM
It's Official; Len Wiseman is the next Paul WS Anderson. Now direct a Gears of War movie!

I'll wait until the full trailer arrives so i can tell my opinion about another unnecesary remake.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:28 AM
The original TR is one of my favorite Schwarzenegger films,so i was pissed it was being remade but i will reserve judgement until i see the final product.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Saw the trailer of the trailer and it looks pretty good, if a bit like Minority Report.