Old 02-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Epic Moments in Video Games

Just a topic I'd like to get started for fun; even though I haven't played games regularly for years, I thought it'd be cool if we all shared those gaming moments that shocked us, made us feel a sense of accomplishment or were just plain cool. Self-explanatory. I'll start with the one that made me think of this in the first place...

And yeah, there's probably SPOILERS here.

Half-Life: The Opening Scene
The fact that I played this game for the first time ever today, should tell you how far behind I am when it comes to games. Anyways, the opening 20 minutes are a great setup, with you taking a tour of the entire Black Mesa facility (with the same four guys running everything!). I had no idea what they were doing in that place but I did know things would go wrong, and that made it even better.

Once I was inside the test lab and everything went to shit, all I could think of was "What the fuck is going on?" and in a flash I saw quick glimpses of an alien landscape and four ugly beasts standing right in front of me. No idea what just happened, but a great way to kick off the game.

Duke Nukem: Famous Dead Bodies
There was something a bit creepy about wandering around this game and stumbling upon the corpses of Indiana Jones, Luke Skywalker and the space marine from Doom just laying there. Of course, Duke had to break the tension with a cheesy one-liner. For me, the Duke games are king when it comes to including jokey references.

Bioshock: Would you kindly...
I never ever expected the twist in this game to happen, and it just floored me. That precise moment when you found out that you've been a pawn the entire time really turned the game on its head; and then finding the famous Andrew Ryan as an old man who's practically defenseless and shooting him dead without hesitation; quite a ballsy move for a game. This game has an awesome storyline, actually one of the best I've ever seen in a video game.
(How many times did I write "game" in that sentence? I need a thesaurus)

God of War I, II, III: A lot comes to mind
The God of War series is built upon epic moments. All three games get started with a bang, either with you fighting Poseidon on the back of a Titan, being chased around a ship by a giant Hydra, or especially outrunning a reanimated statue as it rampages across a city. Hard to pick just one badass moment out of all the games, but slaughtering Cronos in GOW3 is certainly up there.

For me, the one moment where my hands were clammy with sweat and I was literally yelling at the screen was during one small stretch in the second game, where you have to jump across stone columns across a pit while they collapse all around you. It was at that moment that I knew I was playing something special.

Live-A-Live: The Fate of Orsted
This is a really obscure one; this Square RPG was only released in Japan, but it can be found translated into English on emulators. Hopefully I'm not the only one that has heard of it.

To recap: the game is made up of a bunch of scenarios, each set in a different time period. There's a Western with a Clint Eastwood type, a Kung Fu movie, a fighting game of sorts, a Prehistoric chapter where no one speaks, a futuristic story where you control a robot aboard a spaceship, and so on. They're all linked to a grander story, and it's only until you beat all of them and unlock the final chapter that the link is explained.

The final scenario at first plays out like your typical fairytale Medieval scenario, with the brave knight Orsted setting off to slay a demon, save his kingdom and win the heart of the princess. But then everything goes wrong, and once the final revelation comes around, I felt really bad for poor Orsted. The impact is dulled somewhat by the game's shitty graphics, but still, a totally unexpected moment in a game almost no one has heard of. If there is a title that deserves a remake for a next-gen console, it's this one.

StarCraft: Destroy the Overmind
The final campaign in the first StarCraft, with you controlling a Protoss/Terran alliance, is appropriately epic; and the ending cinematic, showing Tassadar sacrificing himself to destroy the monstrous Zerg Overmind, is a get-up-and-cheer moment. Watch that and you'll agree that this game is tailor made for a movie or TV series.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Now let's hear from other gamers!

Last edited by EZM22; 02-26-2012 at 04:25 AM..
Old 02-26-2012, 12:21 AM
Mass Effect
So many moments, but the two that come to mind immediately as my favorite are the conversation with Sovereign (http://youtu.be/R_NAoNd4YyY) and the ending with
Spoiler:
Shepard walking out of the rubble and casually smiling after the grim looks on Garrus' and Wrex's faces assuming he died.

Also: SHEPARD PUNCH!!! http://youtu.be/X5ccaXFrOcM

Mass Effect 2
The entire Suicide Mission is insanely epic (with the possible exception of the Zelda-like boss, which was a tad disappointing) but for me, the most epic moment is Grunt's loyalty mission, where you face down the thresher maw. The thresher maws were near one hit killers in the first one (the one in the second one is pretty close to that) and kept you on constant alert roaming around planets, so the fact that you have to face one down on foot is exhilarating. Nevermind that the objective only says "survive the thresher maw" and it's that much more epic when you manage to bring the beast down.

Dragon Age: Origins
The battle with the Archdemon. So much character drama leads up to and plays out right before the final battle and then the final battle is an epic war raging against the Darkspawn while you struggle to defeat the Archdemon. I've never played a boss battle quite like it and I loved it.

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Leaving Seyda Neen. Venturing out into the wide world and realizing "I can do anything..." was one of the most epic moments in a video game for me ever. I don't think I'll ever quite experience that wonder at a truly open world that just me do whatever I desired.

Fallout 3
I really prefer New Vegas as a whole package, but Fallout 3 had the better epic moment: the assault on the Enclave with Liberty Prime. Holy shit was that awesome.

That's all I can think of right at this moment...
Old 02-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Off the top of my head...

Aeris's death
Cliche... but I guess that's for a good reason. It was pretty mindblowing then, and frankly I don't think anything like that has ever been done since.

Would you kindly
Agreed, but he didn't shoot Andrew Ryan. Ryan committed suicide by forcing you to smash him in the head with a golf club.

Knights of the Old Republic
Near the end when you find out you actually used to be Darth Revan was incredibly awesome story telling.

Final Fantasy
While it may seem lackluster now, finding out at the end of the game that you were the cause of everything that went wrong to begin with by forcing Garland to travel back in time in the first 10 minutes of the game. Well that was pretty epic by 80's standards.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post

Would you kindly
Agreed, but he didn't shoot Andrew Ryan. Ryan committed suicide by forcing you to smash him in the head with a golf club.
I stand corrected. It's been a looong time since I played Bioshock; the whole game I was expecting Ryan to be some cackling megalomaniac and then when you find him he just asks you to kill him... only to find out who the real villain is.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Gears of War - The final level where you battle the Locusts on a runaway train is epic. On one end, there's a Berserker smashing through cars, on the other end in General Raam, and all the while there's a huge air battle going on in the background between your gunship and the enemy Reavers.

Halo - The Maw. The amazing last level where you have to escape your ship as it self destructs. You've got a timer and two miles to travel while the ship blows up around you and you're getting attacked by hundreds of Covenant.

Legendary - Not so popular FPS from a few years ago. A flawed game with an awesome premise: Pandora's box is opened and New York is invaded by all kinds of fantasy creatures. The opening level where this happens is mind blowing as massive creatures tear the city apart.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein - The level where you are camped out in the ruins and have to take on six Super Soldiers with nothing more than the guns you have on you.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Mengsk leaves Kerrigan for dead
Another 'holy shit' moment where a character dies. This character just happens to get reborn as the queen bitch of the universe. It's a damn shame that the story quality dropped off a a steep hill with Starcraft 2.

The Force Unleashed 2 - Gorog
The Gorog boss battle. For such a completely forgettable cash grab that this game was, it did have one boss fight that was the exact opposite. Completely UNforgettable. Check the spoiler tag for a picture of the boss.

Spoiler:

The Battle for Washington DC
A lot of people complain that the story of the CoD series has gone downhill since MW1. Personally, I felt like MW2 was filled with far more "holy shite" moments. For example, the battle for Washington DC mission. Holy. Shite. And then to top it all off, it ends with a bang. In this case a bang just happens to be a nuclear weapon. The catch? It was sent by our own soldiers.

Spoiler:

Old 02-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM22 View Post
God of War I, II, III: A lot comes to mind
The God of War series is built upon epic moments. All three games get started with a bang, either with you fighting Poseidon on the back of a Titan, being chased around a ship by a giant Hydra, or especially outrunning a reanimated statue as it rampages across a city. Hard to pick just one badass moment out of all the games, but slaughtering Cronos in GOW3 is certainly up there.

For me, the one moment where my hands were clammy with sweat and I was literally yelling at the screen was during one small stretch in the second game, where you have to jump across stone columns across a pit while they collapse all around you. It was at that moment that I knew I was playing something special.
For my experience, I also played GHOST OF SPARTA and CHAINS OF OLYMPUS. I have never played a game multiple times and have gotten as amped up every time for the main character as this series. This series actually had me pissed at the gods, and I really did feel that moment in GOW3 when Hephaestus tried to relate to Kratos: "Surely, you understand. You were once a father too." Kratos only paused for a moment while walking, but that moment spoke volumes to me because I knew exactly what happened (from CHAINS OF OLYMPUS).
Old 02-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Everything In the entire God of War series is EPIC. The story, characters, locations, battles, bosses, Gods, Titans, monsters, puzzles, magic, and the mythology.

But above all else. The mini-sex games and the bewbz are of epic proportions
Old 02-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Old 02-27-2012, 05:23 PM
the attack on the citadel cinematic in the first mass effect before you make the final push
Old 05-08-2012, 07:07 AM
RED DEAD REDEMPTION
AND THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE MISSION ENDING

Spoiler:
when you ride your horse through the moutians and back to Abagail. a work of magnifigence.