Old 09-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Trouble with the Curve

Directed by Robert Lorenz

Written by Randy Brown

Genre: Drama

Plot Outline: An ailing baseball scout in his twilight years takes his daughter along for one last recruiting trip.

Starring: Clint Eastwood, Amy Adams, Justin Timberlake, John Goodman, Matthew Lillard

Rated PG-13 for language, sexual references, some thematic material and smoking

Runtime: 111 minutes

I hear that it's good, but the promo material isn't really selling it very well if that's the case. I'll still probably see it, as it's kind of hard to pass up a movie with Clint Eastwood and Amy Adams and I usually dig baseball movies.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:44 PM
Clint Eastwood + Amy Adams + Baseball + Mentioning Dale Murphy in the trailer = Must see opening Friday! I can't wait!
Old 09-14-2012, 12:40 AM
I thought the trailer was not great but good. Love Eastwood, Adams and Timberlake looks good in this too. Definitely looking forward to it.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:03 AM
I'll be checking this out, just not sure if it'll be during its theatrical run or not...
Old 09-14-2012, 12:37 PM

I'll probably see this cause Clint is surprisingly good at comedy.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Yeah this looks great. I don't get all the bashing of it.

I get that its Eastwood doing Eastwood, same old same old. But isn't he one of the guys that is allowed to do that? Besides nobody plays "curmudgeony old guy" better.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:37 AM
Eastwood's in it. It's a baseball movie . . . and the Braves too . . . so that's a plus as well. Not to mention Amy Adams is in it as well.

One downside . . . Timberlake - he's been hit or miss with me a lot - mostly miss.

But I'll go and see it because of Eastwood and Adams.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Looks like weak feel-good oscar-bait crap.

But I love baseball and Eastwood so I'll be there regardless.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:42 PM
8/10

Maybe sentimentality got the better of me but whatever the case, I enjoyed this movie. Clint Eastwood, Amy Adams and even Justin Timberlake are all wonderful in their roles. Sure the story itself is predictable and not really deep but the film does deliver heart. I liked John Goodman’s character but the rest of the supporting cast of characters is shallow to the point of cheese. (Front office computer heavy sleazeball, punk high school kid, etc.) There’s enough baseball to keep the baseball fan satisfied and I kind of like that this movie really is the anti-Moneyball film. No one plays grumpy better than the aged Eastwood!

Not an award contending film on any level IMO but worth the watch.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Enjoyable enough, but boy was it silly as hell. A lot of shit just didn't make sense. Timberlake blew out his arm, the Red Sox gave him a scouting position for a year, and he hopes to become an announcer the next year? The last time I checked that wasn't a logical transition of jobs. Matthew Lillard's character follows the statistics on his computer, so of course, in every scene he must have a computer sitting beside him. There were just little things like that throughout that were really silly. And then the ending came, which is emotionally satisfying in some ways, but also absolutely ridiculous. What a coincidence that there was a pitcher's mound outside of Adams' shitty motel room where peanut boy and his brother were playing baseball. C'mon.

Ultimately, this is an anti-Moneyball film, which makes for a contrast between the different views, but ultimately I think Moneyball's message was more resonant and well-conveyed. It wasn't simply "computers are better than old scouts", whereas Trouble with the Curve was pretty much "computers are shit, scouts know best".

On the positive side (and again, it was very watchable), Amy Adams is really good here. Eastwood borders on self-parody, but also brings some of the goods that he brought with Million Dollar Baby. Timberlake is solid in a supporting role. The relationships between Adams and Eastwood as well as Adams and Timberlake were handled pretty well (although a twist at the end was slightly out of nowhere). It's also pretty funny and moving.

I'd wait for DVD.

Last edited by Bourne101; 09-22-2012 at 03:03 PM..
Old 09-28-2012, 01:35 AM
I thought this was a lovely father/daughter tale and both Clint Eastwood and ESPECIALLY Amy Adams, were wonderful in the movie. Adams is simply luminous and radiant here. I could watch her reading a phone book for two hours.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
I could watch her reading a phone book for two hours.
You too?
Old 09-28-2012, 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
You too?
Preferably naked.