Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles The Movie.

Who remembers this cult classic? one of my favorite comic based movies and fave movies growing up, i still remembered seeing this movie in theaters when i was 8 5 times as it was like a dream come true for one of my childhood tv shows to be a movie but then i did read the comics (The Mirage ones which were different) and when i read in Starlog back in 89 that a movie was in production i was excited and shocked with the first picture of Leonardo, i even saw the trailer to it when i saw Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 in theaters as i was blown away.

Such a fun, well done and action packed movie that appealed to kids, teens and adults as it had some emotion, laughs and some references that can go over kids heads, i love how faithful to the comics it was yet using some cartoon elements and too bad this was Jim Henson's last movie.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Loved it as a kid... Been many years since I've seen it. Would like to watch it again. Always thought Casey Jones was a badass in this as well (Elias Koteas). Great stuff!
Old 05-26-2012, 03:43 PM
I also loved it as a kid. Lot of fun, the turtle characters were great, Casey Jones was bad ass, April was hot (though I thought the actress that took over the role in the sequels was hotter), and it was a great adaptation of the animated series and toy line. It's been a while since I've seen it; I wouldn't mind watching it again for nostalgia sake.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
I also loved it as a kid. Lot of fun, the turtle characters were great, Casey Jones was bad ass, April was hot (though I thought the actress that took over the role in the sequels was hotter), and it was a great adaptation of the animated series and toy line. It's been a while since I've seen it; I wouldn't mind watching it again for nostalgia sake.
TMNT:***1/2
TMNT II:***1/2
TMNT III:*
Old 05-26-2012, 10:09 PM
I was actually playing Turtle Power by Partners In Kryme when I was coming into the forums, so to see this thread pop up is awesome.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Most people seem to not like the third one. But it's actually my favorite of the three.

Enjoy the hell out of this franchise though. The second film is a little too cartoonish and silly but it's still a huge guilty pleasure.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:58 PM
The first one is a legitimately good comic book/cartoon adaptation. A childhood favorite.

The second is cheesier and more dated, but it still is a crap load of fun, mostly for nostalgic reasons.

The third one is just a travesty. Contains none of the campy fun or entertainment value of the first two. It's dull and lifeless as well as stupid, ever by for a Ninja Turtles film. It even has the worst effects of the three films.

TMNT is awesome imo. Slick, good chemistry between the four brothers and genuinely fun action sequences.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopontheshoes7 View Post
The second is cheesier and more dated, but it still is a crap load of fun, mostly for nostalgic reasons.
The Vanilla Ice thing is terrible now.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopontheshoes7 View Post
The first one is a legitimately good comic book/cartoon adaptation. A childhood favorite.
Completely agree.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Liked the first movie when I was a kid, however as I got older my fondness for it has diminished drastically. A classic example of a movie that has not aged well. I thought the sequels were extremely mediocre, even as a kid. If memory serves me, I think I saw the second and third movies in the theater, and I remember feeling they were completely cheesy, corny, and lame. The Vanilla Ice cameo alone proves my point.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
The Vanilla Ice thing is terrible now.
Yeah, I watched that a few years ago (in my mid 20's) and it was embarrassingly bad. Not even on the "so bad it's good" level, but on the "so bad it's horrible" level actually.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:15 PM
original turtles movie is great.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:17 PM
You guys are crazy! Go ninja, Go ninja, Go! is awesome!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
You guys are crazy! Go ninja, Go ninja, Go! is awesome!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:30 PM
The first one holds well with time and has great costumes. Really good film.

The second was way too kiddy, even for the Turtles standards. Just a boring movie.

The third..what the fuck happened?

TMNT sucks ass. It fucking sucks ass.

1 out of 4 isnt too bad, I guess.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Most people seem to not like the third one. But it's actually my favorite of the three.
I don't get the hate for the third one either. I didn't like the look of the turtles in it and the villain was pretty weak compared to The Shredder, but I enjoyed it. It also brought Corey Feldman and Elias Koteas back.

The 2nd one I think is the worst of the bunch.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:11 AM
I remember on the UK release they had to cut out any scenes with Michaelango's nunchucks, so the last scene when Shredder flew off the roof made no sense at all!
Old 05-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel1980 View Post
I remember on the UK release they had to cut out any scenes with Michaelango's nunchucks, so the last scene when Shredder flew off the roof made no sense at all!
Why? Why did they cut the nunchuck scenes out?
Old 05-28-2012, 04:07 PM
When the first TMNT came out there was a huge controversy over it being too violent and too dark for kids. It was certainly a lot darker than its cartoon counterpart. Parents were outraged over them killing Shredder so violently. I remember being in school and a student's mom gave my mom a "warning" flyer, which pretty much warned parents about how TMNT was too violent for kids.

TMNT 2 gave in to the screaming soccer moms 110%. The turtles don't really use their weapons. It was far more campy & cartoonish. And they brought back Shredder in a "see, we didn't really kill him" kind of way.

TMNT 3, I don't know what the fuck happened with that.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Why? Why did they cut the nunchuck scenes out?
The UK has stricter rules regarding weapons and violence in cinemas. Theyre like the opposite us. Sex in our movies is like violence in theirs.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:37 AM
They cut out all scenes involving nunchuks and switchblades apparently because you can buy them quite easily in the UK. The even cut out the nunchuaks scene from Enter The Dragon. I think the laws have been relaxed recently though.

Heat-butts and ear-claps were always cut out of UK releases of films too. See the UK version on The Matrix for an example.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Who else saw this in theaters?

And the comics weren't really kids stuff as they were dark and violent, the movie was more true to the comics than to the cartoon.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
The UK has stricter rules regarding weapons and violence in cinemas. Theyre like the opposite us. Sex in our movies is like violence in theirs.
Crazy, innit? I'll never understand either logic.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:29 PM
I find myself watching the first one every couple of years. Love revisiting it and bringing back all the great childhood moments with the Turtles.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:36 PM
It was cute movie in its time. If it comes out these days it fails. I think Nolan could make this great if he rebooted. Bay would also do a great job. Cant get enough of cars flipping over.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:35 PM
I remember it like it was yesterday, and it still holds up.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:49 PM
haha me too. I saw it in theaters too. I haven't seen it in a while. the sequel was a horrible movie but the first one was entertaining. I never saw the third one.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:03 PM
First two were great, the third was awful. My kids have recently started watching them.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Old 06-02-2012, 08:51 PM
BTW, the first movie is legitimately good. The cinematography was excellent and when speaking about actors in weird suits with animatronic heads, you lose yourself in the characters surprisingly well. Even the humor really, really works.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:13 AM
All three are stupid but cheesy and I enjoy them.

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:42 PM
I was a fan of the original film growing up. The scene that I remember most will always be Raphael screaming "DAAMMNN!!!" because that was way edgy back when I was a youngster
Old 06-03-2012, 02:58 PM
I bought the three on DVD recently and watched all three. The first one, like most already said, holds up really well. The directing and cinematography are terrific. The turtles are more believable in the first one than all the other ones.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoGenie View Post
I was a fan of the original film growing up. The scene that I remember most will always be Raphael screaming "DAAMMNN!!!" because that was way edgy back when I was a youngster
I know what you mean, i was surprised when i was 8 that Raph was cussing and knew it would be different than the cartoon but did had elements of both the cartoon and comics.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoPanFan View Post
Who remembers this cult classic?
Serious? You call the at the time highest grossing independent movie a cult classic?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:01 AM
I loved the original movie when it came out..A lot closer to the actual graphic novels I read as a kid and probably the closest we will ever get to a true Ninja Turtles movie.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:09 AM
I was about 10 ish when the 1st came out in theaters and if memory serves me I saw ALL 3 in theaters. I was like a kid with his hand in the cookie jar I was excited because it look cool; as for the 2nd one seriously you gotta love the Vanilla Ice dancing scene even thought it made no sense at all (at the time). As for the 3rd one meh it was alright. TMNT wil always be a classic in a fun cheezy kind of way
Old 02-18-2013, 08:08 PM
It's still a pretty decent comic book film in it's own right aside from being a nostalgic favorite. The turtles are all fun. Shredder is a badass, Casey Jones is a badass and the fight scenes are well staged.

I have a soft spot for part 2, as cheesy as it is. I hated the third even as a kid.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Funny you mention the fight scene were well stage considering that by today standard they are consider bad or cheesy or whatnot but on the upside they are better handle than some of the "fake" fight scenes that are in today's movie(s)
Old 02-18-2013, 10:51 PM
The cinematography, the acting, the music, the editing - this movie is SO well made.