Old 10-31-2012, 02:58 AM
Unless you've read the comics and know the character through that, it's impossible to get a read on him on just the one episode. The Governor is a character that will probably continue to develop as the season comes along. I haven't read the comics but I am aware of some of the things that are to come, if the show is faithful to the comics. And I'm excited to see it play out even thought it's going to be brutal and really sad.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
And I'm sure if Dale had stuck around, he'd have loosened up a bit more too.
Dale was destined to not make it. His death was always inevitable. The reason reason being, to be survive in the world they currently live in, you have to be able to adapt and learn to live the "survival of the fittest" kind of way. But that was something that Dale was never willing to do. He was a good guy. Very strong in his ethics and morals. But that's not what you need to survive. Not in the world they currently live in. I think he said something to that effect in the episode where he died. The whole episode was building up to his death. That's why I thought it was a great episode.

Herschal is learning to adapt a little better. Ever since he lost everything (other than his daughters), he's sort of just stopped caring. I still worry about him. And yes, they were able to save him. But the fact that he can't run is probably going to cost him sooner or later.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:47 AM
Don't say that. He's going to be the Cherry Darling of the show.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Romero on TWD - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgRVU...eature=g-all-u
Old 11-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Well that was a weird episode. I get that people were complaining the show was too slow last season... but that was just WAY too much for one episode. The pacing was all off and the deaths just didn't feel that meaningful at all because they had no build up.

I am very disappointed in the show right now.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Spoiler:
Seeing as how T-Dog and Laurie did nothing for me as characters I was not sad at all. I just kept thinking that someone would say to the prisoners "Well today's your lucky day, we have two openings in the gang"
Old 11-04-2012, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Well that was a weird episode. I get that people were complaining the show was too slow last season... but that was just WAY too much for one episode. The pacing was all off and the deaths just didn't feel that meaningful at all because they had no build up.

I am very disappointed in the show right now.
I have a completely opposite reaction to this. What an intense episode. It was simmering, simmering and BAM. There was intensity and emotion - especially towards the very end. They tied that scene between Carl & Rick real well. Good episode.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:41 AM
Holy. Shit.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Readers of the comic, forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't

Spoiler:
Lori suppose to die from the hands of the Governor? That's what I thought.

If so this is obviously a major deviation from the comic. But that said it was an utterly fantastic episode! Definitely best of the season thus far and probably the best episode since the one where Rick had to kill Shane.

Man that last scene between Carl and Lori and then Rick breaking down at the end, hit me hard. Powerful stuff. Lori's death was probably all the more worse for Rick since the last time they were together, it wasn't exactly a happy moment for them! He must really feel bad about that now.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Freaking awesome episode! Might be my second favorite of the series, next to the season 2 finale.

My only complaint is the baby being alive (as morbid as that sounds). I doubt it's going to be around for long and it's just going to be annoying to have to deal with in future eps.

"Okay guys, we're surrounded by walkers, everybody be quiet" *Baby cries* "Everybody RUN!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Lori and the baby die in the comics during the Governors attack on the prison. It's not actually the Governor that kills them though, it's Lilly who is also from Woodbury.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Quote:

Spoiler:

If so this is obviously a major deviation from the comic.(
on Talking Dead last season, Kirkman - I believe - or one of the writers/producers mentioned that with the show, it gives them liberty to go in different directions rather than just following the comics page by page. So I'd imagine this was one of those liberties they took on the show.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistAh BlistAh View Post

My only complaint is the baby being alive (as morbid as that sounds). I doubt it's going to be around for long and it's just going to be annoying to have to deal with in future eps.
Hopefully they kill it off ASAP. I hope they have the balls to have the baby get eaten by zombies or it's going to get really annoying really fast.

Also, wtf, could this show be any more cliche with the token black guy? I mean really?! We just can't have two black guys in the group at once or the universe will explode?

After my initial frustration at how poorly they handled the death, the episode wasn't horrible, but it just could have been so much better. The deaths had no meaning because they were just so rushed. So much potential lost in the story.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Quote:

Spoiler:

If so this is obviously a major deviation from the comic. But that said it was an utterly fantastic episode! Definitely best of the season thus far and probably the best episode since the one where Rick had to kill Shane.

Man that last scene between Carl and Lori and then Rick breaking down at the end, hit me hard. Powerful stuff. Lori's death was probably all the more worse for Rick since the last time they were together, it wasn't exactly a happy moment for them! He must really feel bad about that now.
Spoiler:
Lori doesn't die directly at the hands of the Governor, but a female soldier of his crew. She also kills Judith (the baby) with the same shot, then freaks out because of it and takes out the Governor

This way actually works out better for the show though, since it's the start of the growing up period for Carl, which was really supposed to start when he killed Shane - human Shane, not zombie Shane.

Carol's death was too easily glanced over though, and they could have saved T-Dog's death for the death of another similar character in the books.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Wait, Carol died as well?
Old 11-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Wait, Carol died as well?
We don't know yet. There was no body just her scarf. The group thinks she is dead though.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:19 PM
It's pretty ridiculous how....
Spoiler:
T-Dogg dies and we have a black prisoner that can thankfully play the non-character that T-Dogg so awesomely took hold, start to have a personality, then probably bite it when he does.

But don't worry! There will probably be another one waiting in the wing!

Anyways, this show certainly feels more focused and enjoyable than the past two seasons, but can't do shit with making a full group of viable and entertaining characters.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:31 PM
do they kill off members of the group often in the comics, like they do here?
Old 11-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Yup! The main thing that the comics try to force is the fact that nobody is safe or off limits.

Kirkman just brings in new characters to replace them whenever it happens.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:09 PM
good episode ... 2 "main" characters dying. Poor T-dawg ! He had a hero exit tho.

I understand Michonne is supposed to be big in the comics but so far i don't feel her in the series. Like Andrea said " You know all about me but i know nothing about you after 7 months".

Merle stepped up his game. I loved to hate him because he was a major jackass in season 1 but now he seemed more paused and trust-worthy

Since the show deviates from the comics ... here's my prediction

Spoiler:
Merle will take out the Governor
Old 11-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
Since the show deviates from the comics ... here's my prediction

Spoiler:
Merle will take out the Governor
Since this is purely speculation on my part, no spoilers.

I was thinking about this earlier today. My prediction is similar and could happen along side yours. I was thinking Merle would end up joining the group. It seems like all he cares about now is his brother. He won't choose the Governor over Darrel and Darrel won't leave the group. So either Merle ends up dead or he joins the group. Or... the Governor ends up killing Darrel and then Merle kills the Governor for it.

There really is so many different and interesting ways for them to take it.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:49 PM
I have another question about the show : Is the sexual tension between Carol and Daryl pan out ?
Old 11-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Quote:
I understand Michonne is supposed to be big in the comics but so far i don't feel her in the series.

I thought the samurai sword was silly. I was hoping they would put some effort into transitioning what seems to be a larger than life character into a television show, but she just showed up, sliced some shit and now her white samurai sword is sitting on a mantle. But I don't have any problems with her character. Only her sword felt out of sorts. I'm sure it has some backstory.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:06 PM
What a great episode!! I mean, HOLY SHIT…

Spoiler:
They killed T-Dog!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:11 PM
I like the phrase Hardwick coined on Talking Dead

Spoiler:
T-Dog is now with T-God

lulz
Old 11-05-2012, 10:37 PM
To T Dawg

Spoiler:
RIP homie.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:05 AM
I've seen some folks criticize the dude who plays Rick's acting, and there have been times when they were right, but goddamn not this time. He knocked it out of the park with that ending, I mean seriously.
Spoiler:
It was a great place to end the episode, too. If they'd ended it right after Lori's death and left us with a sorta-cliffhanger about how he's going to take it or whatevs (which is what I expected to happen when I started to realize she was going to die) , that would've been unsatisfying as hell. It wouldn't have left us with the emotional wallop of everyone breaking down, and would've actually felt kinda sucky. I thought Sophia walking out of the barn last season was one of the best single moments in television, and it will be impossible for this show to ever top, but last night's ending shows that at least they're trying.

As for the kid living, that had to happen and I'd bet money that it stays alive for the remainder of the series. There had to be a payoff to Lori's death and also Rick's going to need something new to justify not just dying out of sheer grief. Sure Carl could hypothetically play that role, but as viewers we're used to him and he wouldn't be sufficient. "Protect the kid" is going to become the first commandment for the show itself and also for the characters in-universe.

Carol isn't dead. As for T-Dog dying sure it was a little underplayed but that's mostly 'cuz of the more important doings and he was the least developed character anyway so I'm a little meh about it. All the other shit going on made up for it.

Is it just me, or has all of television upped its game this year?

Last edited by Chillingworth; 11-07-2012 at 11:40 AM..
Old 11-06-2012, 12:34 AM
This show has definitely upped it's game. Up until last night, I thought this season was alright though not nearly as good as the first two seasons. If they are able to keep the quality the same as last night's episode for the remainder of the season, this will definitely be the best season yet.

And I agree that Andrew Lincoln's performance was outstanding. It always has been IMO. But last night in particular. The scene at the end with him breaking down was truly heartbreaking. Hopefully Lincoln will get an Emmy nomination next year as I thought he deserved one last year.

I also thought Sarah Wayne Callies and the kid who plays Carl did an outstanding job too. There last scene together was a powerful moment as well.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Quote:
And I agree that Andrew Lincoln's performance was outstanding. It always has been IMO. But last night in particular. The scene at the end with him breaking down was truly heartbreaking. Hopefully Lincoln will get an Emmy nomination next year as I thought he deserved one last year.
IMO He deserves the emmy for that scene alone. That was probably the SINGLE best reaction I have ever seen in tv or a movie for someone losing a spouse. That moment alone will forever cement Andrew Lincoln in my mind as an amazing actor.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
I thought the samurai sword was silly. I was hoping they would put some effort into transitioning what seems to be a larger than life character into a television show, but she just showed up, sliced some shit and now her white samurai sword is sitting on a mantle. But I don't have any problems with her character. Only her sword felt out of sorts. I'm sure it has some backstory.
I would much rather have a weapon like a katana than a gun in this situation. However, you are right, I hope they don't just gloss over how she got her ninja skills. It would be a disservice to the reality they are trying to portray to not give a little explanation as to how she became so good with the sword.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Amazing episode. As someone who is caught up on the comics, this is the kind of changes that catch me off guard and one of the better ones I thought.

Spoiler:
I think the writers did about as much as they could this season to redeem Laurie for all the dumb and annoying things she said and did last season to make us all hate her. It was obvious they were listening to the fans and I don't think they could have done a better job killing her off at that point. Brutal scene.

And I actually felt bad for poor T-Dog despite him being somewhat of a meme for not doing or saying much throughout the show. I was really sad after watching the Talking Dead and seeing how nice of a guy the actor who played T-Dog is and how he seemed genuinely sad to be off the show.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
IMO He deserves the emmy for that scene alone. That was probably the SINGLE best reaction I have ever seen in tv or a movie for someone losing a spouse. That moment alone will forever cement Andrew Lincoln in my mind as an amazing actor.
I said the same exact thing last night...that was Andrew Lincoln's Emmy reel!
Old 11-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Predictions for tomorrow's episode...

Spoiler:
Rick, distraught over the death of his wife, will go on a one man zombie killing spree inside the prison. There, blinded by his rage and emotion, he will accidentally kill Carol, causing Darryl to lose his shit and leave the group. This will set the stage for Darryl's inevitable reunion with his brother Merle.

And, a prediction for the future of the season...

Spoiler:
Rick will at some point be at the mercy of The Governor and Merle, but Darryl, despite his anger towards Rick for killing Carol, will intervene and save his life. I think Darryl will end up killing his own brother.

Just a hunch as to what will happen.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Why on earth did they dig a grave and then fill it for Carol when they never even bothered to find her body... wtf is that about? It's been what... like 12 hours (if that) since the zombie attack? That just seems like shitty writing to me.

Also, does it piss anyone off that they don't just kill every zombie they see? It would take literally like 30 seconds to kill those zombies on the fence. Instead they spend all this time try to corral them away off to the side. Are these guys fucking morons?

/end rant.

Overall another really good episode on the whole.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Why on earth did they dig a grave and then fill it for Carol when they never even bothered to find her body... wtf is that about? It's been what... like 12 hours (if that) since the zombie attack? That just seems like shitty writing to me.

Also, does it piss anyone off that they don't just kill every zombie they see? It would take literally like 30 seconds to kill those zombies on the fence. Instead they spend all this time try to corral them away off to the side. Are these guys fucking morons?

/end rant.

Overall another really good episode on the whole.
Yeah...don't know why they prematurely decided Carol was dead, but whatever, the writers must have decided that it wasn't important enough to explain. Speaking of unimportant aspects of this show, Carol, as a character, seems pretty unimportant to me. I was so sure they were finally going to get rid of her this episode because the only purpose she seems to serve is to balance out Darryl a little bit. I was a bit aggravated when the preview of the next episode revealed the possibility of Darryl starting another epic sofia-esque search to find her, but perhaps this plot line will pay off.

This season has been good so far, but one thing I definitely don't like about it is the fact that they fired Darabont and cranked up the blood/guts/killing factor just to satiate the people who bitched about last season's pace. I had no issue with how everything played out in season 2, now it just feels like they're rushing it.

Last edited by psycheoutsteve; 11-12-2012 at 05:35 PM..
Old 11-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Alright episode, but Jesus H. Christ on trying to lament T-Dog's death through such hackneyed, hilarious exposition from Glenn.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:09 PM
So according to what was said on The Talking Dead...

Spoiler:
The zombie Rick finds in the boiler room, COMPLETELY ate Lori....like clothes and all. It may seem a bit nitpicky, but come on now.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:07 PM
I just think its hilarious...
Spoiler:
Kill one black guy, gain another. How convenient.
Kill one person, gain another. Can't let the group get TOO small, can we?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:02 PM
My explanation for all the Carol sloppiness is that no one in the group liked her very much.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger^Cart View Post
My explanation for all the Carol sloppiness is that no one in the group liked her very much.
Actually they do ... she came a long way from being the useless abused wife in season 1 to performing test c-section on a zombie corpse.

Granted i haven't seen episode 5 yet ( It's TIVO'd and i'll watch it just before tomorrow's episode 6 )

The bandana just tells me she fled .... T-Dagw's sacrifice was not in vain ! She'll be back in a couple of episodes.

And since we make blind wagers ... 10$ Andrea will end up as Rick's next lover
Old 11-17-2012, 02:10 AM
this topic got to me ... didn't feel like waiting anymore so i watched my Tivo'd episode 5 . Glad nothing was about Carol. So my theory still stand.

This was a good episode ( not great ) and i loved the phone ringing finale.

8/10