#161  
Old 02-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FailSafe View Post
I've come to accept lack of depth and subtlety as something inherit with The Walking Dead, but if the writers can't manage to at least curb the repetitiveness and monotony on this show...

For instance, Rick handling the meeting with Tyreese and company - kill them, let them go, or bring them into the group? Those are the three options, and like it did in the first part of this season, it played out ( as far as it's gotten, anyway) almost exactly the same. It's boring. Does anyone actually think that they'd introduce this group only to have Rick give them the boot at this juncture? Or, at least, anyone with half a brain in their head, I should say. No, but since they need Rick to reject this new group (for whatever reason), they have him hallucinate and see Lori - problem solved (even though we had already been led to believe that hs issues had been resolved once already...).

And the writing... Merle just kind of blurts out that Andrea is at Woodbury, and Michonne scowls when Rock asks her about it; Rick also kinda' just tells Carol that Daryl left; etc. it's like they're attempting to relay these plot points in the most boring way possible - no drama comes from any of it (although Carol had what was easily her best episode last night). That's kind of unforgivable in a show that is clearly meant to be about the characters.

Andrea at Woodbury... Why is she such an important citizen all of a sudden? By my clock, she's been there a little over a week, possibly two, and she 's delivering motivational speeches to an incredibly unconvincing set of town extras? Why? Why does she even decide to stay in Woodbury, knowing how crazy the Governor is? It makes no sense.

The creative staff have failed at the most basic of levels - show, don't tell. Everything is relegated to shitty dialogue, instead of through the actions of the characters. What it actually takes for a character on this show to be considered fleshed out is kind of laughable, and with the writer of Ghost Rider 2 on board as the LEAD CREATIVE FORCE behind the show going forward, the future doesn't look to bright. Or at least, not as bright and shiny as that brand spankin' new Hyundai the group travels in.

TellTale's writers should take over for the current writing staff - including Kirkman - in season four. They did an amazing job fleshing out a relatively similar number of characters over a shorter period of time, even if every character wasn't likable (Ben and Larry, in particular).
Yes, I agree with this post, it is enjoyable but no where near as QUALITY as people make it out, and this is mainly due to the writing.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 02-13-2013, 06:07 PM
I actually can't argue any of what Fail Safe had mentioned. However, this show entertains the hell outta me. That's all I can ask for and want in a TV show!
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 02-13-2013, 07:33 PM
I agree with everything he said, in fact I have said most of it before now.

Still find the show fun as hell to watch though.
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 02-14-2013, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
I actually can't argue any of what Fail Safe had mentioned. However, this show entertains the hell outta me. That's all I can ask for and want in a TV show!
cosign
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 02-17-2013, 10:38 PM
"That was quite a speech you gave" -- Actual quote from the episode.
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 02-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
"That was quite a speech you gave" -- Actual quote from the episode.
Are you pointing this out because you think the writing sucks? Or for some other reason?
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 02-18-2013, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Are you pointing this out because you think the writing sucks? Or for some other reason?
I assumed everyone was in agreement that her terrible low-key unmotivating political speech full of banal platitudes and clichéd comments which received some head-nodding and made everyone suddenly decide "oh we were going to riot, and leave but I guess whatever it's cool" was one of the low-lights of the show's writing. For the writers to double down the next episode and have a character discuss how awesome the speech was seemed amazing to me.
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 02-18-2013, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I assumed everyone was in agreement that her terrible low-key unmotivating political speech full of banal platitudes and clichéd comments which received some head-nodding and made everyone suddenly decide "oh we were going to riot, and leave but I guess whatever it's cool" was one of the low-lights of the show's writing. For the writers to double down the next episode and have a character discuss how awesome the speech was seemed amazing to me.
Yeah, it made me laugh.
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 02-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I assumed everyone was in agreement that her terrible low-key unmotivating political speech full of banal platitudes and clichéd comments which received some head-nodding and made everyone suddenly decide "oh we were going to riot, and leave but I guess whatever it's cool" was one of the low-lights of the show's writing. For the writers to double down the next episode and have a character discuss how awesome the speech was seemed amazing to me.
It's all within the context of the world it's set in.... Weak no matter what world that may be.... I can understand your incredulity.
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 02-19-2013, 04:00 PM
So one bad piece of dialogue trumps almost ten minutes of pure, uncut, sustained Awesome.



Good to know.
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 02-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Yeah last ten minutes were pretty excite.
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 02-19-2013, 10:14 PM
Well I posted that as I was watching the episode. This episode was a little slow (the first five minutes being Rick just chasing his ghost wife with virtually no dialogue) obviously building towards the great ending.

Still, I see no reason why this show so constantly has a rather slow and boring episode with a great finale. It seems to me that I often just watch the episode anticipating the last ten minutes.
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 02-20-2013, 02:31 AM
Those last 5 minutes were incredible. I was totally on the edge of my seat! Man, just when I was liking that one guy, they kill him off.

So happy no one else died though. For a while I thought Herschal was a goner. And I knew they would obviously not kill off Rick, but it didn't look good for him for a minute. Of course then Daryl and Merle come to his rescue. I swear to god when that happened I jumped up from my seat and nearly yelled, "YEAH!"

I also think the writers deserve credit for actually making me somewhat sympathetic towards Merle for the first time. Never thought that would happen.
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 02-25-2013, 07:55 AM
So originally I thought Rick would be the one to kill the Governor but after last night's episode I think that it could Andrea who ends up killing him. Assuming he dies this season that is. But unless they prolong the Woodbury vs Rick's crew rivalry to last into next season, I don't see any other ending than the Governor being killed.

For a second, I thought Andrea was actually going to try and kill the Governor but end up getting killed herself. But that didn't happen.

She's got a great ass though! Laurie Holden is a hottie!
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 02-25-2013, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
So originally I thought Rick would be the one to kill the Governor but after last night's episode I think that it could Andrea who ends up killing him. Assuming he dies this season that is. But unless they prolong the Woodbury vs Rick's crew rivalry to last into next season, I don't see any other ending than the Governor being killed.

For a second, I thought Andrea was actually going to try and kill the Governor but end up getting killed herself. But that didn't happen.

She's got a great ass though! Laurie Holden is a hottie!
Kind of expected The Governor to wake up and grab her, which would have been kind of cliche. I like that she couldn't actually go through with it. Andrea killing him would make a lot of sense, but then again, pretty much every single character on the show has a reason to kill him.
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 02-25-2013, 09:53 PM
The Governor ain't gonna die this season.... They've renewed for season 4, so no way could I see them killing him off before this season's through!

Somewhat shitty show last night.... Mediocre at best. I DID enjoy the zombie curb stomp and arm hacking scene however. Outside of that, this show made me LOATHE Andrea as a character.... She's a poorly written, lame, mess of a character that has no angle at all. She really shoulda died in Season 1 IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 02-26-2013, 02:00 AM
I disagree. I thought last night's episode made Andrea one of the more interesting characters on the show. I love her the inner struggle her character is going through. She hates the Governor but loves Woodbury and her loyalties are divided between the prison group and Woodbury.

Besides, she's hot and has a great body. Especially her ass!
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 02-26-2013, 11:38 AM
We need gifs of that scene
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 02-27-2013, 08:22 PM
I hope they don't make the governor last into another season. That would be reaaallly stretching the plot thin. Already very little actually happens in the hour because the fans will rage if there isn't at least one long action scene.


I don't like Andrea's character, but as I have said before... I don't like any of the characters with maybe one or two exceptions. This show desperately needs likeable characters, which is why I was really saddened to see what they are doing with Tyrese. Feels very forced and like they are changing stuff for the arbitrary reason of changing it, instead of it actually serving the plot.
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 02-27-2013, 09:47 PM
Why the hell is every lead female on this show protrayed as a complete idiot?

With the exception of Michonne (who is apparently terrible at communicating) and Merle's daughters (who barely interact with the group), the women on this show are mind numbingly stupid and make very bad choices.

Hopefully the writing will get better in the near future.


...or not.

http://www.ibtimes.com/walking-dead-...runner-1106710
Reply With Quote
  #181  
Old 03-03-2013, 10:17 PM
The men pretty much all act stupid too. The worst was in season 2 when Lori went after Rick and ended up crashing her car lol.


This episode was good though. I wish there were more character episodes like this one. Carl, Rick and Michonne all three got some really good and much needed character development.

They should do more episodes that focus on smaller groups like this to give people more than 1 or 2 lines per episode.
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 03-03-2013, 11:44 PM
Man, I thought this was a superb episode. Also a great setup for next week's bloody showdown.
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 03-04-2013, 01:25 AM

Definitely one of the best episodes of the series.
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 03-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Gotta agree with you guys. Morgan's insanity pretty much brought Rick back to reality, I thought.

Also Michonne was all kinds of bad ass! Good show to make up for the shitty one from the week before.
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 03-05-2013, 08:26 PM
I just realized the guy who wrote this episode will be the showrunner for season 4.

This gives me great hope.
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 03-06-2013, 12:50 AM
Michonne finally got a bit of depth which was great, I loved the rucksack guy, that was ruthless.
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 03-06-2013, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
They should do more episodes that focus on smaller groups like this to give people more than 1 or 2 lines per episode.
Yes, I agree with this. So many characters yet without much character development because nobody gets enough lines or screen time. They really should do as you suggest here.

I loved this past episode too! Hardly had to look at Andrea at all, so that's a bonus.
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 03-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by [SD] Bob Plisskin View Post
I loved the rucksack guy, that was ruthless.
That was my initial reaction but I glanced at the IMDb boards after the episode and they made a pretty good case that it was the most reasonable course of action. I mean I guess the idea is: Would you pick up a random hitchhiker nowadays, in a country full of laws, government, police, and military? Probably not. Now add an apocalypse onto this...

One of the possibilities people mentioned was, given what we see of the scenario, it looks entirely possible he was cast out of his group for some unknown reason before they were overrun. But from Rick's POV it's sort of like (1) He could be part of a trap from Woodbury, (2) He could have been cast out of his group (because how else could he have survived this long without a group?) and therefore have some variable risk, (3) Given his seeming inability to survive despite how long he would have had to survive up until this point, it's possible he was locked away somewhere and is only now discovered what happened, in which case now is not the time for them to show him the ropes.

All in all it was pretty sensible. The risk doesn't make sense when they're trying to do a quick in-and-out mission with Rick's son, and with the possibility that at any time Woodbury might come back to the prisons -- which is out of ammunition -- and murder the rest of the group. I mean I have a group of friends who pulled over when someone pretended to be injured on the side of the road, and then they were beaten up by a group of people, robbed, and had their car stolen. I feel like in a post-apocalyptic world, especially with the types of people that had survived for such a long time, that sort of thing would be a constant concern. It all reminded me of The Road a bit.

Last edited by Gordon; 03-07-2013 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 03-07-2013, 02:50 PM
oh yea Gordon, I agree it was the right thing to do. I think that element of the episode was another addition to Carl's development, and Rick's somewhat. Previously there would have been a discussion about that, about what was right to do. The wordless way they just went back on got the backpack was epic. I guess I meant ruthless in a good way; because that's what is required in the world they live in. Although The Governor (especially in the comics) shows why you have to retain some humanity.
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 03-08-2013, 12:14 PM
The only logical explanation I could think of for the hitchhiker was that Morgan stole his weapons and or killed any other people he was with. Which makes it even sadder because he may have been trying to warn Rick about Morgan.

This is one of those "less is more" moments that I reaaaaally love. Sometimes it's good to put little thing like that in and then let the audience fill in the blanks however they see fit.

Similarly, I also loved how they showed the sign saying something along the lines of "Erin we are going to try the mountains." And then shortly after they get attacked and one of the walkers has a wristband on that says "Erin". Makes you think about things like, did she ever see the sign? What happened to the people who put it there etc?
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 03-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Great fucking set up episode!! Next week shits gonna hit the fan!
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 03-11-2013, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectRatio1986 View Post
Great fucking set up episode!! Next week shits gonna hit the fan!
Great bottle episode. Given the amount of money the war is going to cost the production, this is just about as good an episode as you can expect out of them.

The only thing a little bit bothersome from a logic stand-point (though obvious from a narrative perspective) was why either side didn't just murder everybody on the spot.
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 03-11-2013, 02:18 PM
This was yet another good episode, though it was a bit frustrating. I was completely on Merle's side this time. They could have killed the Governor right there and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
The only thing a little bit bothersome from a logic stand-point (though obvious from a narrative perspective) was why either side didn't just murder everybody on the spot.
The Governor didn't because Michonne wasn't there. Rick didn't because, well, he's Rick.
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 03-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
The Governor didn't because Michonne wasn't there. Rick didn't because, well, he's Rick.
It's a nice thought but, honestly, what would stop the Govenor from (a) killing everyone at the meeting with overwhelming fire power, then (b) gathering his army and taking the prison? Think about how vulnerable that prison would have been with Rick and Daryl out of the picture, and with them not expecting the attack. If the Governor went into the meeting already deciding that he was going to kill them, then this would have clearly been the most effective way.
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 03-11-2013, 03:14 PM
I didn't care for the show last night. I didn't like how they were both trying to be "diplomatic" in a zombie overrun post-apocalyptic world! Nonsense! This show is a non-traditional premise, so they should be doing non-traditional things.... If I were the writer, I woulda made Rick or the Governor kill the other on the spot. Make it unexpected, that would've really added to the show I think.

Regardless, this was a waste of an episode. It was completely unnecessary IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 03-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
It's a nice thought but, honestly, what would stop the Govenor from (a) killing everyone at the meeting with overwhelming fire power, then (b) gathering his army and taking the prison? Think about how vulnerable that prison would have been with Rick and Daryl out of the picture, and with them not expecting the attack. If the Governor went into the meeting already deciding that he was going to kill them, then this would have clearly been the most effective way.
But the prison is now heavily armed, and the Governor knows this (he even mentions this). Add that to the fact that the prison is a heavily fortified fortress. The Alamo pops in mind. A well armed fort can allow a small number of people to take on a very large group.

The Governor will stop at nothing to get Michonne. So why risk going up against the fort when he can get everyone he wants dead to come to him?
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 03-11-2013, 06:15 PM
I get that they needed to have this episode but it was just not impressive, boring in fact. A let down after last weeks amazing episode.

The sit down was so anti dramatic and the dialogue was just pathetic. Andrea being stupid for the millionth time makes me want to punch the screen. The bad ass showoff between Daryl and the other tough guy was an ok moment I guess but again a let down.

The only good moment might have been the ending with Rick and Hershel.
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 03-17-2013, 08:28 PM
Tonight better be balls out awesome
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 03-18-2013, 01:33 AM
Because this show has never been gun shy about killing off characters and has deviated from the comics in the past, I was on the edge of my seat for a HUGE section of tonight's episode! Absolutely intense!
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 03-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Last night's episode was great. I have found The Governor to be kind of lame up until last night, he was truly scary and looks like he is just getting started! Can not wait to see what happens next week! A great episode after last week's let down.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump