Old 08-18-2011, 09:18 AM
Most people (90%) don't finish video games

According to this CNN article: Link.

Quote:
In fact, the attrition (or bounce rate) of video games is pretty pathetic. "What I've been told as a blanket expectation is that 90% of players who start your game will never see the end of it unless they watch a clip on YouTube," says Keith Fuller, a longtime production contractor for Activision.
Interesting... but I can't say it's all the surprising. The article basically comes to the conclusion that since video gamers are all getting older and have jobs and responsibilities that we are no longer finishing video games. In fact most of us simply check out You Tube to find out how the story ends.

I know I can relate to that. Some games I play are just too fucking hard, but I am interested in the story and want to know how it ends still. I just don't have the hours and hours dedicated to mastering the button mashing and exact timing required to beat some games. These days, I always change the game setting to "easy" because I know otherwise most likely I won't finish it. If the game is particularly good I will replay it on a more challenging setting.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:57 AM
I don't think that we are not finishing as many games as much as we are playing fewer games all the way to the end. What i mean is that, for my self at least, i still play games till the end but i do far less of them then in my teen age years.

At the end of the day it's more about what you have the time for. Like you said the gamer generation has grown older and has time to game but its not by choice i'm sure. I'd finish every game i've ever gotten into if i actually had the time. Luckily for myself i've gotten to the point where if i don't think i'll have the time to play a game i won't buy it. It has to be something much beloved for me to ust buy regardless of my current situation of game time vs everything else.

But what i don't see is that ppl are just not finishing the games cause they can find out the conclusion online somewhere. If someone really wants to play your game they will find the time, even if its years after the games initial release. Otherwise maybe its more a question of the quality of product that is out today, if a game sucks ppl aren't going to play it till the end.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm pretty surprised by this. I'm in the boat of guys who used to love games but now have responsibilities, and what it does is limit the games I actually choose to play. For example, I know I'm not going to play a game like Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. I don't have the time to invest in a game of that magnitude.

But the games I do decide to play, I finish, unless it's too hard (freakin Donkey Kong Country Returns). I only play games after a lot of research and word of mouth (unless it's from a franchise I trust, like Zelda or Resident Evil). I don't want to start a game that I know I'm not going to enjoy.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
I'm pretty surprised by this. I'm in the boat of guys who used to love games but now have responsibilities, and what it does is limit the games I actually choose to play. For example, I know I'm not going to play a game like Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. I don't have the time to invest in a game of that magnitude.

But the games I do decide to play, I finish, unless it's too hard (freakin Donkey Kong Country Returns). I only play games after a lot of research and word of mouth (unless it's from a franchise I trust, like Zelda or Resident Evil). I don't want to start a game that I know I'm not going to enjoy.
This is the big reason why EVERY game needs some sort of demo. I understnd that some companies don't want them cause it can actually keep a person from buying their game but i bet they'd make up the difference by ppl who buy it cause they actually got to try a bit of it for free.

One game i'm on the fence for is Warhammer 40K: Space Marine. With Dead Island and NHL12 coming out in the same month i don't know if i want to drop the cash and spend the time playing if it's not a quality game, even though i love the WH40k universe. If there is a demo before release then it might sway me to pick the game up but if there isn't one released i'll probably end up steering clear of it.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
This is the big reason why EVERY game needs some sort of demo. I understnd that some companies don't want them cause it can actually keep a person from buying their game but i bet they'd make up the difference by ppl who buy it cause they actually got to try a bit of it for free.
In the case of people gaming on PCs, it also is a huge help to know if "X Game" will run properly on my PC. I was on the verge of buying Arkham Asulum for a dirt cheap price but got the demo to see if it would run. It didn't and I was happy as hell the Demo prevented me from wasting my money.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc5145 View Post
In the case of people gaming on PCs, it also is a huge help to know if "X Game" will run properly on my PC. I was on the verge of buying Arkham Asulum for a dirt cheap price but got the demo to see if it would run. It didn't and I was happy as hell the Demo prevented me from wasting my money.
Yeah computer requirements can be really annoying sometimes. Even if you have the minimum listed onthe box taht doesn't mean the game will run well on your particular system.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:42 PM
I don't know why but I have a respectable game collection and I rarely finish my games. I'll get 4-7 hours into the game then just stop playing.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Quote:
But what i don't see is that ppl are just not finishing the games cause they can find out the conclusion online somewhere. If someone really wants to play your game they will find the time, even if its years after the games initial release.
Using Heavenly Sword as an example. I made it to the last boss in the game (Andy Serkis) and I just couldn't freaking beat it. I got so close so many times and kept failing. Finally I just said fuck this, went to YouTube, and watched the ending.

For me that is very rare though. I only do that in special circumstances.

Another game I did this with was the 100% ending for FF X-2. I think I was like 99.7% and realized I messed up on one of the side quests and couldn't go back and fix it without replaying the entire game.

I've never really done that for lack of time though.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
For me that is very rare though. I only do that in special circumstances.
Yeah, I've done it with games that have multiple endings (Bioshock) or sequels whose stories I care about because of the franchise but I think suck (FF X-2). Typically, though, I play games because they are fun, not to see "what happens." So looking up the ending wouldn't really do much for me.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:33 AM
I think it has more to do with that the guy works for Activision. Hi-yo!

Of course 90% of people don't finish your games, if only 5% of them have that high of a pain threshold and 5% are playing your actually decent games.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-dae-su View Post
I don't know why but I have a respectable game collection and I rarely finish my games. I'll get 4-7 hours into the game then just stop playing.
I have a friend like this, though he does finish the odd game. I always ask him why he never trades in games to reduce the cost of new games he gets and he says cause he likes them and might want to play them sometime again, but he never does........

Myself the only way i can swing games is to get credit for games i follishly bought or have finished. Got New Vegas for free and will only have to pay $12 for Skyrim when it hits
Old 08-20-2011, 12:28 AM
Quote:
I'm like this. Sometimes I just give up and move on. I'm really bad about playing a game once or twice and never again. I have a stack of games that I've barely touched. It's kinda stupid, really.

In my case, that 90% number might be low. Probably closer to 95%.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
I have a stack of games that I've barely touched. It's kinda stupid, really.
That's what happens to me. I have a local video game store near me which sells older consoles/games and often, I'll go in there, buy some games, and sometimes, not even play them. Last time I was in there, I bought Toy Commander, Mortal Kombat 3 and Halo Wars. I've played a little bit of MK3 and about 5 minutes of Toy Commander but haven't even opened Halo Wars.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:37 AM
Quote:
That's what happens to me. I have a local video game store near me which sells older consoles/games and often, I'll go in there, buy some games, and sometimes, not even play them. Last time I was in there, I bought Toy Commander, Mortal Kombat 3 and Halo Wars. I've played a little bit of MK3 and about 5 minutes of Toy Commander but haven't even opened Halo Wars.
ah ok, older games. I thought you meant you had a shelf of new releases that you've bought for $60 a piece that you never seem to play
Old 08-21-2011, 01:17 AM
Quote:
ah ok, older games. I thought you meant you had a shelf of new releases that you've bought for $60 a piece that you never seem to play
http://craziiantics.files.wordpress....w-hell-naw.jpg
Old 08-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Just realized this poll was done by Activision. So it leads me to believe, what does "finishing" a game mean?

When I think of Activision, obviously Call of Duty comes to mind. I know a lot of people who buy COD games just for the multiplayer. So while they may not finish the campaign (or even start it), they definitely put tens of hours into the game itself.

I also think of Guitar Hero games from a few years ago. Again, a lot of people may not "finish" the solo mode, but perhaps they just bought it as a party game.

I think there are a lot of popular games like that for each developer. I think the stat is somewhat misleading. My initial reaction was "people play games and quit halfway through," but that not might be the case at all.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:32 AM
I used to love long games, when I was in elementary and high school, the Final Fantasy series was def my main focus outside of playing sports. I would invest 100+ hrs into them easily, on top of the Resident Evils, Silent Hills, Metal Gears, etc. But these days, I just can't stomach any more long games. I don't have the patience to sit down and play for 30-60+hrs anymore. I had to quit LA Noire because it was so long and tedious and just plain boring to me. I did invest a lot of time in Fallout 3, and tried to invest a lot in Fallout NV, but it was so buggy I had to stop. I have Skyrim on preorder and the only reason I'm getting it is because I know it will last me through the winter when I'm hibernating in my man cave. But for this reason alone is why most people are so into COD and the NHL series/Madden series, it's just easier to sit down and quick play for a couple hrs and be done with it. There's no story to catch up on, no managing an inventory, etc etc. I would like to play all these big title games, but I don't want to spend my $60 on a game I'll just quit playing after a 10 hrs into it, like Mass Effect 2. I bought it, I liked it, but I couldn't stomach the story after I stopped playing for 3 days. I got about 15 hrs in, turned it back on and just completely lost interest. But that's the beauty of games like Arkham Asylum and Uncharted 3, they are about a 15-20 hr campaign with a fast acting story, with not too much side stuff to do, AA will prob have more this time) but they are easy to sit down play for 2-3 hrs a day and in a week it's over.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:44 AM
I happen to know quote a few people who don't finish games. I for one can't imagine not finishing one. The only time I won't is if it gets boring or repetitive or is too freakin hard (Demon's Souls anyone?).

Otherwise, I HAVE to finish a game. To know what happens, but also to know my money was well spent. Otherwise I consider it a waste.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:27 AM
I've actually drastically reduced the amount of games i am willing to buy in a year simply because i know that i wont have time to enjoy them all. Had to quit Old Republic for the same reason, not enough time.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Quote:
I've actually drastically reduced the amount of games i am willing to buy in a year simply because i know that i wont have time to enjoy them all. Had to quit Old Republic for the same reason, not enough time.
I've drastically reduced the amount of new games I buy, but I still buy tons of older games on sale.

Come on, Dead Space 1 and 2, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Bioshock 1 and 2, and countless other great games for 5 bucks each? Hell yes! Even though I end up not playing them for ages lol.

I probably have a backlog of about 15 games right now, and despite that I still spend the majority of my time in the same few games (lately it's been Starcraft 2 and WoW.)
Old 06-16-2012, 02:31 PM
That statistic makes sense.

I think the arcade version of Bionic Commando might have been the last game I finished. On a console, it might have been The Legend of Zelda (all the way through with no saves). That was right around the time I was hitting puberty.

But the games were different than they are now. The closest I got, which was also my foray back into gaming, was GTA: Vice City. I only finished the story though, and never got 100%. It's just much more time consuming, I think. It's hard to say if it's whether I have more going on, or if the game is just more complicated, but it seems like the older games had a single goal. Zelda, you had to get to the last level and defeat whats-his-nuts. Vice City, it wasn't just finishing the story, you had to like do car stunts and other random stuff that had nothing to do with the main game play.

I still play lots of different games, but chances are I'm not going to beat Metroid Prime. It's fun to throw on and get through some levels. The same with Resident Evil and others. But to actually 100% complete the games, they are really asking too much.

That's why I tend to think games where it's just about scoring, like arcade deals such as Pac Man and more modern, 2 player sports games, are just more fun. Gaming, for me, is about killing time and having fun. It's bowling, or even karaoke, for people who don't feel like going out. At least that's how I take it.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
That's why I tend to think games where it's just about scoring, like arcade deals such as Pac Man and more modern, 2 player sports games, are just more fun. Gaming, for me, is about killing time and having fun. It's bowling, or even karaoke, for people who don't feel like going out. At least that's how I take it.
Amen.

That's why I always get upset when people complain about a "lack of story" in certain games. Plot, to me, is icing on the cake. Games are about having fun. If you want plot, read a book.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Article sounds right, I keep playing WoW but I just never get to the end =(