Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Official Rian Johnson's LOOPER Thread

The director of Brick and The Brothers Bloom discusses his next project:

Quote:
For the next few weeks, a lot of people will be talking to Rian Johnson as his great film The Brothers Bloom begins to roll out. (It opens limited this week, then wide on May 29.) He'll be getting a lot of questions about his next film, Looper, which he's previously described as a violent, character-oriented sci-fi film involving time travel.

Johnson told /Film during the IFFB that the story will take place about thirty years from now in a dystopian future. Now he's given a few more tiny tidbits to Vulture:

"Itís not like a I, RobotĖtype thing. Itís a very character-based film, and itís very violent and very dark. Itís set in the near future, and things are very bad in an industrial town in Kansas. The worst crime you can commit 30 years from now is messing with time travel, so the only people who will mess with it are big criminal groups. Itís a weird mixture; it has elements of the first Terminator and Witness, bizarrely enough."

There are bits in there that sounds tantalizing: going Dystopian but also rural, and having criminals be the time travelers. (Previously, he'd told /Film the criminals were 'a disruptive element'.)

With respect to the Terminator reference, Johnson has said "I'm using time travel in a way almost identical to the first Terminator, which helps keep things simple," though there's also a more recent post from his forum ("I took somebody's advice and just went balls out with it") that, if not at least slightly facetious (or, more likely, a reference to the wild Balls Out script, as one email suggested) could mean that simple is out the window. Regardless, this is something to be excited for.
Sounds intriguing. I think Brick is awesome and even though I thought Bros. Bloom could've been alot better, especially considering its cool concept, I still found it very enjoyable. Still, I like Rian's style and have much admiration for upcoming writer/directors, so he's definitely on my list of filmmakers to watch.

I'll be very interested to see who ends up getting cast in this bad boy. I'd like to see him team up with Joseph Gordon Levitt again. I could definitely see him cappin' some muthafuckas...

Last edited by SkyNet; 07-04-2012 at 03:57 AM..
Old 11-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Glad to see that quality, smaller science fiction films are back in style.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:13 PM
I loved Brick, one of my favorites of the decade, but Brothers Bloom's trailer didn't interest me enough to see it. Maybe a rental. But this sounds intriguing.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:55 PM
I've been anticipating this project since I first heard of it over half a year ago. Just the thought of Rian Johnson, one of the most interesting new filmmaking voices to emerge in recent years, making a science fiction film is exciting enough. And one that sounds as exciting and different as this? Count me in! Although I have to say, the time travel angle is always a dangerous one... Then again, if this is more in vain of Primer and less Butterfly Effect, we'll be fine! Can't wait to hear more about this. If it comes out next year, that's TWO mindfucks to look forward to, aside from Inception.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:54 AM
So Rian Johnson presumably took a break from his work on this to direct an upcoming episode of the AMC series Breaking Bad, which is awesome. I doubt this has slowed up his production at all, especially considering there have been ZERO updates about this project

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 01-04-2012 at 10:04 AM..
Old 05-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
I'll be very interested to see who ends up getting cast in this bad boy. I'd like to see him team up with Joseph Gordon Levitt again. I could definitely see him cappin' some muthafuckas...
*clears throat*

It appears that Joseph Gordon-Levitt actually is in-talks to star in Looper.

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 12-05-2010 at 07:41 PM..
Old 05-04-2010, 10:14 AM
http://twitter.com/rcjohnso/status/13347217365

"hit men [who] are sent their victims from crime orgs in the future."

+

=

Last edited by Dutchman; 05-04-2010 at 02:47 PM..
Old 05-04-2010, 10:49 AM
First, I loved Brick. Second, I love Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Overall, this movie is going to be bad ass. Like many have said, it's nice to see smaller sci-fi films making a comeback.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Brick is overrated. But that said, this sounds pretty cool actually.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:23 PM
I've been interested in this since it was announced and now they have an awesome actor in the lead, my excitement has peaked again. Good to see an update, I was wondering what happened to this.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Brick is one of the freshest and most original films to emerge from the American indie film movement in recent years. And the mere thought of Joseph G-Levitt re-teaming with Rian Johnson is enough to make me cream my pants. But throw in the fact that it's a science fiction film (sci-fi renaissance ftw!) and shaping up to be one hell of a mindfuck, and I'm totally there. Please let this actually happen!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Liked Brick, indifferent to Brothers Bloom. But -

Cool name, very cool premise, even cooler lead actor...I'm in.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Sounds interesting.

Not a real big fan of Brick but I respect the director for trying something really off beat.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:33 AM
Quote:
"Looper is a time travel movie, set in a near future where time travel doesn't exist but will be invented in a few decades. It's pretty dark in tone, much different from Bloom, and involves a group of killers (called Loopers) who work for a crime syndicate in the future. Their bosses send their targets hogtied and blindfolded back in time to the Loopers, and their job is to simply shoot them in the head and dispose of the body. So the target vanishes from the future and the Loopers dispose of a corpse that doesn't technically exist, a very clean system. Complications set in from there. I can't wait to make it, I'm a big sci-fi fan and it's going to be a fun world to play in. Fingers crossed."
http://www.cinematical.com/2010/05/0...ishes-on-loop/
Old 05-14-2010, 08:10 PM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Bruce...per-18598.html

Quote:
Bruce Willis Joins the Cast of Looper

The last time we got news on Rian Johnson's upcoming sci-fi project Looper, Joseph Gordon-Levitt was rumored to be in talks for the lead role, but nothing was confirmed. We don't know if contracts have gotten signed and things worked out, but Deadline Hollywood is now treating Gordon-Levitt's casting as fact, and has another name to add to the cast as well.

They're reporting from Cannes that Bruce Willis has signed on to play an older version of Gordon-Levitt's character, who plays a hit men put in charge of victims sent back from the future for their executions.
YES.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Wow.

So is Willis gonna have hair, or is JGL gonna be bald?

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 05-15-2010 at 09:12 AM..
Old 05-14-2010, 08:54 PM
hmmmm, consider me further intrigued
Old 05-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Looking forward to this.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:02 PM
I don't like this. Because now it's just become a Bruce Willis movie.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by overwatch View Post
I really hope not
Old 05-14-2010, 10:43 PM
This went from sound pretty cool to outright AWESOME!
Old 05-15-2010, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by overwatch View Post
Agreed. Willis is one of those huge stars like Tom Cruise or Julia Roberts who, though talented, also seem to basically be playing themselves in each role. Then again, I DO trust Rian Johnson and I think that if there was a list of directors who can tone Willis down and elicit a restrained, calculated performance out of him, Rian is definitely on it. Hopefully he won't take up too much screentime anyway - I'd rather watch Joe G-Levitt kicking some time-traveling ass!

Also, is it just me, or does the addition of Willis to the cast lend this whole thing a bit of a Twelve Monkeys vibe...?
Old 05-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotreme View Post
Also, is it just me, or does the addition of Willis to the cast lend this whole thing a bit of a Twelve Monkeys vibe...?
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
I was thinking the same thing.
Same here, and given that Twelve Monkeys is a personal favorite of mine, that's a good thing. Bruce can do good work with the right director, and I think Rian Johnson is up to the task.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corran horn View Post
Same here, and given that Twelve Monkeys is a personal favorite of mine, that's a good thing. Bruce can do good work with the right director, and I think Rian Johnson is up to the task.
I hope we're right! This past decade he's become something of a caricature of himself, but in the 90's he really did used to work with some daring and different directors and projects. This does move this film out of the realm of the "little indie", though, and into a different category, so it'll be interesting how it's all handled.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Paul Dano joining the cast of Looper!

http://screenrant.com/paul-dano-loop...n-rothc-90702/

Fuckin'A!

P.S. IMDb gives a tentative release date of 2012. We shall see....

UPDATE: This bit flew under my radar, but Emily Blunt has also joined the cast. Wonder if she'll be a Brit or not...

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 12-05-2010 at 07:38 PM..
Old 12-05-2010, 08:31 PM

^^^
Book em Dano! Good to hear he is joining the cast.

I'm really excited about this film. I like that Rian Johnson says that its gonna be "a very character-based film, and itís very violent and very dark".
Old 01-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Johnson has added a few more names to his cast including Jeff Daniels and Piper Perabo:

http://www.joblo.com/rian-johnsons-s...niels-and-more

Also, Johnson has brought on Shane Carruth of Primer fame to work out some of the kinks in his time travel mechanics.

So pumped for this fuckin' thing and its soooooo far away

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 01-04-2012 at 10:04 AM..
Old 01-23-2011, 02:18 AM
I've been in love with Piper Perabo ever since I first saw her in The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and then later that summer in Coyote Ugly, a movie that should have made her into a star, but for some reason didn't.

And between her and Emily Blunt, the hotness factor is WAY off the charts!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:14 PM
First stills from Looper: http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=26438

Nothing featuring any of the actors, but I think it establishes the look/tone of the film....
Old 02-07-2011, 11:58 PM
This is one of my most anticipated movies.

The premise is terrific and the cast is awesome.

Jeff Daniels needs to be in more movies. The man is very underrated.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Quote:
I was getting that vibe even before I saw that Willis was in it!

I don't love Brick, but it is strikingly original, so I couldn't be more excited for Rian Johnson to tackle the sci-fi genre.

Edit: The IMDb synopsis really makes it sound a lot like 12 Monkeys (possibly spoilerish for 12 Monkeys):

Spoiler:
A killer who works for the mob of the future recognizes one of his targets as his future self.

Last edited by dannywalker17; 02-08-2011 at 12:14 AM..
Old 02-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Can't wait to see some footage! Looks like after the REALLY dry 2010 we're finally getting the sci-fi renaissance that started in 2009 back on track! Bring it on.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:48 AM
First Image from Looper!

Old 05-13-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm excited for this, but that image looks like it came from every other recent Bruce Willis action film. Hmm.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Here we are, our first look at the time machine:

So goddamn excited for this film, almost as much as I was anticipating Inception.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:14 AM
This movie looks awesome. It's definitely one of my top five most anticipated for 2012. I never saw The Brothers Bloom (I intend though) but Brick was amazing so I'm sure that Johnson can make a film that is different than any thing that we've seen before. Levitt has big year ahead of him, he deserves it.

Last edited by Frosty_86; 01-04-2012 at 10:18 AM..
Old 01-04-2012, 11:07 AM
This was screened a month or two ago to a handful of movie bloggers and they said it was great.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Holy shit, that time machine looks like something out of Bioshock.

This is sounding incredible.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:04 PM
JGL is gonna dominate 2012. Holy shit