Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy - Summer 2014... really?

Story on IGN

And, of course, there are Rocket Raccoon and Groot. One is a militant, gun-toting space raccoon. The other is a giant tree who only speaks one sentence. Together, they're the greatest action hero pairing in the galaxy. Their inclusion isn't up for debate. No two Guardians better personify the fun and wackiness the franchise promises. Throw in Cosmo the talking space dog and the movie is practically guaranteed to out-gross Titanic.

I have to say... I did not see this one coming. A raccoon with guns is coming to a theater near you.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:10 PM
These characters have appeared in the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon recently. I guess Marvel is trying to capitalize on Avengers' success by making movies that are somewhat related. I'm assuming after the movie came out, more people started checking out the cartoon, so they might know who Rocket Raccoon actually is.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Never heard of these characters but I'd definitely rather see a gun-toting space raccoon than a Captain America movie.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:08 AM

I consider them an alternate universe Avenger team. They would fit with the ending of the Avenger movie as they are on the trail of Thanos.

But i'll let Soda give you the whole 411 (i'm no expert).
Old 07-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Wait, so who exactly are the members of this group?
Old 07-14-2012, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Never heard of these characters but I'd definitely rather see a gun-toting space raccoon than a Captain America movie.
No, you wouldn't.

Fresh off the presses from comic-con:

Captain America:The Winter Soldier hits theatres April 4, 2014

Its exactly as I strongly suspected (The first avenger was a perfect set-up for a winter soldier movie), and now, Marvel has officially confirmed it. Winter Soldier is a piece of pure art, and, to this fan, the greatest captain america story of all time, by far. If Marvel does this story justice (and I have no reason to believe they won't) then you're in for something special. I still remember the feeling I had when I read issue #1, I remember the pacing, the action, the guessing, then the big reveal. Winter Soldier is a HUGE story-line, that only finally "ended" around issue #42 (so that's 42 issues, or one a month, for 3 and a 1/2 years. Guess who has every single one)

As for Guardians of the Galaxy, there's really not much to tell. The team first appeared in the late 60s, and was an alternate universe sort of deal (that was back in the day when alternate universes were all the rage in sci-fi), since then, they've had appearances here and there, had a pretty concrete run in the 1990s (forget how long) and a few years ago, a new team was assembled and got a book, that didn't really go anywhere.

Here would be my guess, as to why Marvel's digging them up now, the guardians of the galaxy (not to be confused with DC's the guardians of the universe) fight galatic level threats, as their name implies. If there's any threat that's galatic in nature, its Thanos (purple dude in the post-credit scene of the Avengers) and doing a guardians movie might be a cool way to introduce some of Thanos' back story and do set-up for Avengers 2. Plus, the characters are just flat out fun to think about and fun to use. Their origin harkens back to the heyday of the silver age, when comics were being redefined as a fun to read medium. This was the same era, after all, that gave us (the much more famous) Captain Carrot and his amazing zoo crew. It was a heady time, and anything was possible.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soda View Post

Its exactly as I strongly suspected (The first avenger was a perfect set-up for a winter soldier movie), and now, Marvel has officially confirmed it. Winter Soldier is a piece of pure art, and, to this fan, the greatest captain america story of all time, by far.
Easily the best Captain America, and in my personal top 5 of any Marvel story. It's up there with Dark Phoenix, Age of Apocalypse, The Infinity Gauntlet, X-tinction Agenda (very underrated), and obviously the death of Gwen Stacy (not as big as these other ones as I think it was only like 2 comics, but still epic).

Granted, I very rarely read comic books any more (really stopped regularly after Onslaught), so there might be more recent stuff that's great. But Winter Soldier still has to be up there.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Easily the best Captain America, and in my personal top 5 of any Marvel story. It's up there with Dark Phoenix, Age of Apocalypse, The Infinity Gauntlet, X-tinction Agenda (very underrated), and obviously the death of Gwen Stacy (not as big as these other ones as I think it was only like 2 comics, but still epic).

Granted, I very rarely read comic books any more (really stopped regularly after Onslaught), so there might be more recent stuff that's great. But Winter Soldier still has to be up there.
The thing is, DC does the big stories a little better than Marvel does. However, Marvel has had more than their share of moments. I won't do a top five list, but I'll list some of my favorites:

-AvX - this story is going on right now, and I've been loving every minute of it (JoeChar agrees with me, I think) and for those who have doubts, let me put it like this: if you're a fan of Marvel comics, this book is something you've been waiting fifty years to see, the logical conclusion of being Scott Summers.

-FF, the coming of Galactus - this is the seminal silver age FF story, and it really holds up to a modern audience. The surfer's guilt and eventual turn make this one to check out.

-Planet Hulk - a personal fav, and probably the best of the more modern marvel stories. Remember how, for years, people thought they'd never get the Hulk "right" in film? Planet Hulk was the Hulk book everyone wanted: put the hulk on a planet where everyone is stronger than he is, and let him punch his way to the top.

-Dark Phoenix - nuf said. We need a real dark phoenix saga on the big screen.

-Days of Future Past - The seminal silver age time travel story, worth checking out.

-Age of Apocalypse - Maybe the best thing Marvel did the entire decade of the nineites. AoA is a simple story premise: what happens if someone went back in time and assasinated Charles Xavier before he founded the X-men? AoA gives us the answer, and it ain't pretty.

-Winter Soldier - looks like Marvel will be adapting this.

-Infinity Guantlet - a book that may form the basis of Avengers 2.

That's my short list. Some that just missed were House of M and Annihilation. I also found Secret Invasion to be a very interesting premise, but one that Marvel didn't go anywhere with aside from the boiler-plate stuff. Civil War was a huge disappointment, for me, it should be a warning to us all about the dangers of comics that preach.

Caveat - I'm not actually as old as I sometimes appear on the internet. I was a child of the 80's, and so, I missed the entire silver age when it was coming out. Most of my knowledge of that era is garnered from people I know who read comics during that time, and who pass along suggestions for classic books to read, and who are willing to discuss that era. You find them at every convention. The silver age was the golden era of Marvel comics. That was when Stan Lee and Jack Kirby were at the height of their creative powers. Its when Chris Claremont and John Byrness Blazed new trail after new trail, issue after issue, with the x-men. Its when Steve Ditko invented Spiderman. Mostly, though, it was the house that Stan and Jack built.

Stan Lee is famous these days, as he should be. He's a producer and actor, so he doesn't have much time for writing. However, the biggest name that people at large don't know from this era, but who should know is Jack Kirby. Marvel wasn't Stan's house, it was Stan and Jack. The king, as Kirby was called, was a visionary, the likes of which comics has never seen since, and won't again. He invented the Silver Surfer, and only Kirby could do that. He made the Fantastic Four into legends during that time. Most of the outre' and really cool stuff that was happening was all Kirby. His art on amazing Spiderman (and John Romita's) defines the character to this very day. Kirby's contribution was immesurable, and to many people who read comics during that era, the greatest single issue they ever read was a genesis of Kirby's genius: Fantastic Four Annual #1. (note: for me, it has since been eclipsed as "the greatest single issue of all time" by countdown to infinite crisis. To each his own.)

Unfortunately, Jack Kirby died before the modern deluge of Superhero films would lead the masses to properly recognize his genius. There's a saying, in my local LCS: that every question that the mind of man has ever wrestled with, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and Silver age marvel comics have already answered. Marvel, in that era, embraced sci-fi, and embraced numerous and diverse ways of telling a story. It was in this era that marvel became the biggest comic book company on earth, in this era they passed DC (and DC has never really caught up). To this fan, the contribution of the creators who made that happen, and who aren't Stan Lee, should be recognized. Sorry for the tangent, but sometimes, you just have to rant, you know?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Quote:
The thing is, DC does the big stories a little better than Marvel does. However, Marvel has had more than their share of moments. I won't do a top five list, but I'll list some of my favorites:

-AvX - this story is going on right now, and I've been loving every minute of it (JoeChar agrees with me, I think) and for those who have doubts, let me put it like this: if you're a fan of Marvel comics, this book is something you've been waiting fifty years to see, the logical conclusion of being Scott Summers.

-FF, the coming of Galactus - this is the seminal silver age FF story, and it really holds up to a modern audience. The surfer's guilt and eventual turn make this one to check out.

-Planet Hulk - a personal fav, and probably the best of the more modern marvel stories. Remember how, for years, people thought they'd never get the Hulk "right" in film? Planet Hulk was the Hulk book everyone wanted: put the hulk on a planet where everyone is stronger than he is, and let him punch his way to the top.

-Dark Phoenix - nuf said. We need a real dark phoenix saga on the big screen.

-Days of Future Past - The seminal silver age time travel story, worth checking out.

-Age of Apocalypse - Maybe the best thing Marvel did the entire decade of the nineites. AoA is a simple story premise: what happens if someone went back in time and assasinated Charles Xavier before he founded the X-men? AoA gives us the answer, and it ain't pretty.

-Winter Soldier - looks like Marvel will be adapting this.

-Infinity Guantlet - a book that may form the basis of Avengers 2.

That's my short list. Some that just missed were House of M and Annihilation. I also found Secret Invasion to be a very interesting premise, but one that Marvel didn't go anywhere with aside from the boiler-plate stuff. Civil War was a huge disappointment, for me, it should be a warning to us all about the dangers of comics that preach.

Caveat - I'm not actually as old as I sometimes appear on the internet. I was a child of the 80's, and so, I missed the entire silver age when it was coming out. Most of my knowledge of that era is garnered from people I know who read comics during that time, and who pass along suggestions for classic books to read, and who are willing to discuss that era. You find them at every convention. The silver age was the golden era of Marvel comics. That was when Stan Lee and Jack Kirby were at the height of their creative powers. Its when Chris Claremont and John Byrness Blazed new trail after new trail, issue after issue, with the x-men. Its when Steve Ditko invented Spiderman. Mostly, though, it was the house that Stan and Jack built.
Oh, I do agree about AvX and do agree with every story you mentioned.

It appears we are about the same age and have read most of the same stuff. I may have drifted to the Marvel side of the fence but I grew up reading DC as well. I loved anything John Byrne back in the day and I worshipped his reboot of Superman.

The Days of Future Past story may still be my favorite read all-time. If the rumors are true that they're adapting that for the X-Men First Class Sequel then that may wind up being the best comic adaptation film of all-time.

I have to admit I was one of those loud idiot fans who was bitching about the concept of Winter Soldier before it hit. "YOU CAN'T BRING BACK BUCKY! ARRRRRGH!" Man, was I wrong. That Winter Soldier first arc is a pure classic and so well done. It has carried over to this day because the current Winter Soldier book is one of my top three favorite reads Marvel has going right now.

I trust Fiege and Marvel Studios but Guardians is a strange call when you have Black Panther and other more grounded characters prime for a solo film. Maybe they want to break what anyone might think of as a tedious glut of Avengers characters? I just hope they give us the badass Drax. That character could steal every scene.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Oh and how about The Rock as Drax? Just tint him green in post and leave the tattoo as is!

Old 07-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Quote:
The thing is, DC does the big stories a little better than Marvel does.
Oddly enough, I agree with you, but the problem is...

Wow, I can't believe I'm saying this...

I'm glad these forums are anonymous, because otherwise, I think people might hunt me down and kill me...

I don't like the DC characters. There, I said it. Seriously, none of them. I think the DC big stories are better written, that's for sure. I loved Kingdom Come, I loved Tower of Babel, I read all the classic Batman graphic novels, and many others. But I'm a character guy, and I just find DC's characters to be a little boring. The only ones I like are Batman (who I feel is overrated, but I still like him) and Wonder Woman. Even the villains are a little overrated to me. Joker is great, but there are easily 5 Marvel villains I'm more interested in. If we expand the search to all comics, including Japanese manga, I don't think Joker is a top 10 villain.

Quote:
Caveat - I'm not actually as old as I sometimes appear on the internet. I was a child of the 80's, and so, I missed the entire silver age when it was coming out. Most of my knowledge of that era is garnered from people I know who read comics during that time, and who pass along suggestions for classic books to read, and who are willing to discuss that era.
Yeah, I only got into comics because of my sister. She got into them because of the Fox cartoons of the early 90's. Then she started collecting. Our father had a ton of older ones from his childhood (including Fantastic Four #1) that we went back and read later on and loved. She collected them, and I read them when she finished. It started to get annoying with Onslaught, as the magnitude of the crossover was just too big. Once my sister went to college, she just sporadically collected. Eventually, once I discovered scanlations online, I shifted to Japanese manga (always loved anime). Now, I'll read a graphic novel once in a while, but that's pretty much it. I still get nostalgic talking about these things, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
Oh and how about The Rock as Drax? Just tint him green in post and leave the tattoo as is!

I can't believe that's what Drax looks like now (what does he need knives for?). I used to like him. Remember him owning The Hulk in a little skirmish and was just awe-struck. Would love to see him on the big screen, but in that case, they'd have to include Thanos, and that might steal the thunder of the Avengers sequel.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:20 PM
per numerous sources (ie, the director himself) James Gunn has been hired to helm this movie. What exactly do we know about him? What's his previous work like? Can't say I've ever heard of him myself.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Quote:
per numerous sources (ie, the director himself) James Gunn has been hired to helm this movie. What exactly do we know about him? What's his previous work like? Can't say I've ever heard of him myself.
Well he made Super, which was a weird superhero film in itself.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:47 AM
I think Gunn is an inspired choice. If they are going for a witty/fun tone with a slightly dark edge, he's the guy. Slither is awesome.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:17 PM
I hope Gunn nails it because GotG is not a widely popular comic like Spiderman or Ironman.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
I think Gunn is an inspired choice. If they are going for a witty/fun tone with a slightly dark edge, he's the guy. Slither is awesome.
This