Old 12-13-2012, 10:31 PM
The Impossible

Directed by Juan Antonio Bayona

Written by Sergio G. Sánchez

Genre: Drama

Plot Outline: An account of a family caught, with tens of thousands of strangers, in the mayhem of one of the worst natural catastrophes of our time.

Starring: Tom Holland, Naomi Watts, Ewan McGregor

Rated PG-13 for intense realistic disaster sequences, including disturbing injury images and brief nudity

Runtime: 114 minutes

The first half of this film is completely riveting. The second half is very moving, if a bit repetitive and contrived. Tom Holland steals the film and is a very promising young talent. It might get lost amongst all the wide releases, but if you get a chance, check it out.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
The first half of this film is completely riveting. The second half is very moving, if a bit repetitive and contrived. Tom Holland steals the film and is a very promising young talent.
This.

This first half is absolutely harrowing. Some of the most intense disaster footage I've ever seen. The second half does drag a bit, but this film is lifted by its fantastic performances. Watts will probably get nominated, but Tom Holland and Ewan McGregor are fantastic as well.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:35 AM
It looks like an incredible movie. Can't wait to see it.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:00 AM
Im moved each time i watch the trailer and that soul stirring music...wow...really looking forward to this
Old 12-14-2012, 10:31 AM
The tsunami hit is one of the best scenes of 2012. The image of Tom Holland in the swimming pool as the wave comes, is one of the best shots of 2012.

This is a great film through and through. Like Bourne and Katsumoto, I think the second half does drag just a slight bit but there are moments in that second half that moved me to tears, and as for the outcome (try and stay away from the trailers because there is a shot there that pretty much reveals the end) I was on the edge of my seat, since I didn't know what had happened to the real family.

Many complain that the film yanks harshly, rather than tugs slightly, on the heartstrings, that the melodrama is overbearing and that you're left thinking about all the other families in the disaster. I can't make this complaint myself because I feel like the story justifies the melodrama and the events can't do much else but pull the heartstrings harshly. As for the other families, the film is dedicated to them and that's enough. The story is about one family, not all families. I would, however, have liked to have seen a little more about the Thai people whose homes and livelihoods were shattered and turned upside down by this tragedy. That is a missed opportunity by the makers.

The performances are amazing. McGregor is the one who impressed me the most and I'm hoping the Academy pulls their usual "WTF" nomination with him as he's not getting mentioned anywhere with the precursors. Holland is definitely a young talent to watch though, and Watts gives the most physical & visceral performance of her career which she should be nominated for.

This one is going to be loved, I feel. And come Oscar time, will probably get

Best Picture
Best Actress
Best Supporting Actor
Best Visual Effects
Best Editing
Best Sound Mixing
Best Sound Editing

among a few others perhaps.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Just finished this...

Thought it was well done, but a bit too sappy and straight forward. Predictable, and they showed too much in the trailers. The acting was top notch and the emotional build up was solid.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:13 AM
Intense,gripping and at times emotionally overwhelming true story of Maria and Henry Belon and their 3 sons Lucas ,Thomas,
and Simon and their fight for survival after the devastating tsunami in Thailand on the morning of December 26, 2004.
Incredible performances by the entire cast are coupled with extraordinary SFX ,creating one of the most incredible movie watching experiences i have ever had.Director J.A. Bayona and Sergio G. Sánchez definitely capture the raw emotions and loss of that day and the days that followed.
The films only flaw are a few coincidental moments that dont ring true towards the end of the film.
Any nominations and awards the film gains are truly well deserved.
Scale of 1-10 a 9
Old 01-10-2013, 01:49 PM
I've never seen a movie that had tears welling up in my eyes for the entire running time. Every second. And a lot of them ran down my face. I can't believe it isn't getting more love.

Maybe I'm biased because my parents best friends, a couple and thier two young daughters who I've known since I was a kid, were there. Lucy and her two daughters were on a beach and saw the wave coming so they ran for high ground through a jungle and made it safely to the top of the hill. They were very lucky that they stayed at a hotel at the foot of a hill. Thier hotel was destroyed. Jim was on a boat on the other side on the penninsula waiting to go scuba diving and didn't even know what happened until it was over and they came back around to the hotel side. Imagine coming back in a boat and seeing the hotel you left your family at just gone. He searched for them for a day and a half before finally finding them. A bunch of fellow survivors cheered as they hugged and cried all together, something all of them thought may never happen again.

So watching The Impossible I couldn't help but put our family's friends in the places of the family on screen but I also think of myself as someone who can judge a movie on it's own merits. Watts and McGregor are flat out great as is Holland who plays the eldest son and the direction was top notch. The story is in fact Impossible and I imagine there are a million stories from the Tsunami that are just as unbelievable. I highly recommend giving this movie a look in theatres and prepare to shed some tears. If you don't tear up you are probably a sociopath, get help.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:57 PM
I have to each the thoughts of the other posters here - this was a great movie. Even the somewhat repetitive second half worked for me because of how good all of the performances were. One of my favorites for 2012.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:33 AM
This movie is showing now in aus l remember the hell a lot Indonesian,a lot of tourists went through a harrowing time and now having the movie will be interesting,and also emotional so very soon l am,going to see it see for myself if it is any,good
Old 01-29-2013, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
This.

This first half is absolutely harrowing. Some of the most intense disaster footage I've ever seen. The second half does drag a bit, but this film is lifted by its fantastic performances. Watts will probably get nominated, but Tom Holland and Ewan McGregor are fantastic as well.
Have to agree with the majority. The first half is stunning and the entire cast does shine bigtime!!!