Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Celeb Talk/Gossip
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Penn State (president, Paterno..) concealed facts about Sandusky sex abuse

This is really sports, but Joe Pa is a celeb, so "here we go"

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...sex-abuse?lite
Quote:
Penn State report says president, Paterno concealed facts about Sandusky sex abuse

By Bill Dedman
Investigative Reporter, msnbc.com

Penn State football coach Joe Paterno and other university leaders "repeatedly concealed critical facts relating to Sandusky’s child abuse" from authorities, according to Louis Freeh, the former FBI director who conducted an investigation for the university in the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal.

Freeh also found that "although concern to treat the child abuser humanely was expressly stated, no such sentiments were ever expressed" by university officials, including Paterno and the university president, for Sandusky’s victims.

The most saddening finding by the Special Investigative Counsel is the total and consistent disregard by the most senior leaders at Penn State for the safety and welfare of Sandusky's child victims. As the Grand Jury similarly noted in its presentment, there was no "attempt to investigate, to identify Victim 2, or to protect that child or any others from similar conduct except as related to preventing its re-occurrence on University property.

Four of the most powerful people at The Pennsylvania State University -- President Graham B. Spanier, Senior Vice President-Finance and Business Gary C. Schultz, Athletic Director Timothy M. Curley and Head Football Coach Joseph V. Paterno -- failed to protect against a child predator harming children for over a decade. These men concealed Sandusky's activities from the Board of Trustees, the University community and authorities. They exhibited a striking lack of empathy for Sandusky's victims by failing to inquire as to their safety and well-being, especially by not attempting to determine the identify of the child who Sandusky assaulted in the Lasch Building in 2001. Further, they exposed this child to additional harm by alerting Sandusky, who was the only one who knew the child's identity, of what McQueary saw in the shower on the night of February 9, 2001.
There is a hell of a lot more too, but just click the link.

I am the type of person to say I told ya so. I felt this way from the start that everyone at Penn State knew including Joe Paterno were covering it up. Paterno's family has been saying for the last couple days that Joe did not know anything. They lied. Joe knew all and hid it all to keep his football program clean. He and the whole college hid the truth to protect football. I don't care what good Joe did in his life (and he did a whole lot more than most people) I will always remember him for this. They did not care about the kids at all. I hope it is decided to discontinue the football program Joe and the college wanted guard so badly.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:21 AM

JoePa is a POS. His legacy is forever tarnished.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:21 PM
I hope Joe Paterno is roasting in Hell. The Penn State president should have life in prison. And of course, I'm glad Sandusky's been convicted.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:29 PM
I don't understand the level of obsession with a game that would justify protecting a child molester. And the blind fandom that defended the scum is sickening. It's not even professional-level football, these are amateurs. Everybody involved in the cover-up, and anybody that supported or defended these monsters should be fucking ashamed.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Has there ever been such a dramatic fall from grace for any other American icon in history like this one??

...I'm having trouble thinking of any.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectRatio1986 View Post
Has there ever been such a dramatic fall from grace for any other American icon in history like this one??

...I'm having trouble thinking of any.
Hitler was Time's Man of the Year in Jan of 1938. Does that count?

OJ Simpson.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:22 PM
It made me sick to my stomach watching people cry over this guy. It's all well and good unless it's your brother, cousin, whatever getting ass raped in a shower. People are stupid and sick. I too will never understand why people hold sports in such a high place. Football towns, yuck
Old 07-12-2012, 04:43 PM
I think the social worker's joke in a recent episode of South Park sums up this whole thing very well...

"Joe Paterno doesn't walk into a police station..."
Old 07-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Sandusky may be a creep, but he was a damn good defensive coordinator.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Do you guys wonder what happened to the DA that was investigating the case at the very beginning who disappeared? Do you think the university paid him off, or maybe killed him off?
Old 07-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRbeauty View Post
Do you guys wonder what happened to the DA that was investigating the case at the very beginning who disappeared? Do you think the university paid him off, or maybe killed him off?
People do not just go away like that for nothing. Nothing will probably become of this, because unless someone admits to knowing or doing something, there is no one to charge and no way to get a conviction. But yes, I think he was murdered.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Yes too big of a coincidence. I have always thought that Sandusky was supplying kids to other people too. Maybe other big wigs from the university. All this trouble to conceal this for one guy? Was Sandusky that big of a deal at the university? I don't know much about the football politics of Penn State. However, I can't understand why they though this would go away, have they learned nothing from the Catholic church?
Old 07-13-2012, 05:06 PM
They should posthumously convict Joe Paterno of whatever criminal charges he would have gotten were he alive.

Etch it on his fucking tombstone.

"Joe Paterno, would let your child get raped to win a football game."

Last edited by jolanar; 07-13-2012 at 05:08 PM..
Old 07-13-2012, 05:23 PM
That Mcquery guy is a real piece of work. Who the hell would ignore a witnessed sexual assault of a child? Any decent human being would have beaten the shit out of that sick fuck. That interview Sandusky did with Bob Costas was a gem."Are you attracted to young boys?" Silence. The answer's no motherfucker!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRbeauty View Post
Yes too big of a coincidence. I have always thought that Sandusky was supplying kids to other people too. Maybe other big wigs from the university. All this trouble to conceal this for one guy? Was Sandusky that big of a deal at the university? I don't know much about the football politics of Penn State. However, I can't understand why they though this would go away, have they learned nothing from the Catholic church?
I have been to that town several times. It is really close knit. They all know each other there. I place a huge part of the blame on Paterno
Old 07-13-2012, 09:15 PM
I hope they tear that statue of him down.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Hitler was Time's Man of the Year in Jan of 1938. Does that count?

OJ Simpson.
Forgot about OJ

Old 07-14-2012, 04:59 PM
And wow, I haven't been following this story all that closely - this is the first time I've heard about the missing DA. Holy shit.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:13 PM
About 2 years ago Gizmodo posted the suicide note of a programmer who killed himself. He was raped repeatedly as a young child and grew up with what he called "the darkness" that followed him since that violation. He described himself as an empty husk of a human being, and detailed every excruciating aspect of his life in regards to how this darkness would affect him and every failed attempt to temporarily escape it (booze, relationships, exercise, programming, etc) until he accepted the idea that he would never get away from it, that it was this permanent grime he would wake up to upon himself forever. That's when he killed himself.

I think of that letter when I read about this shit and all I can think is: Hell is not hot enough for what these people deserve.

Last edited by electriclite; 07-14-2012 at 05:16 PM..
Old 07-14-2012, 05:27 PM
What you said electriclite reminds me of the movie Mysterious Skin with Joseph Gordon-Levitt. A very very uncomfortable watch...but pretty relevant to this thread.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
If ignorance is bliss then there must be very many content people around here. Such misplaced hatred for a great man that admittedly made a huge mistake makes me sad. If any haters cared enough to pay attention to what his former players and colleagues had to say today then they would get a more complete picture of the icon. Joe Pa died loved and admired and certainly not in shame.

Until (if ever) something else comes out then basically saying "I don't know what happened and I don't want to know... you handle it" will NOT taint his legend. Sure it was the absolute wrong thing to do but it doesn't override all the good he did or all of his accomplishments. Save the hatred for Sandusky himself or the PSU hierarchy. Until I see more, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt like any intelligent person should.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philalva77 View Post
the only thing he did wrong was not knowing what was going on with his coaches, so he should not be at fault at all about the sex offenses. Shame he had to go out like this & to cancer none the less. I noticed there was not many articles on his death either which is sad. I am not defending nor claiming i was ever a fan. Surprised the moderators here would even allow this as a topic, its slander.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
I am very annoyed at the way Paterno went down. When he was told about the deeds that were going on, he did what ALL of us would have done, alerted his superiors. Should you call the cops? Probably, but as is the case, as is what most people would do, you tell your superior and have them start up an investigation. 1 unsubstantiated report when dealing with a person you have known for ages, it is hard to just up and call the cops. Should Paterno have been involved in finding out the truth, fuck yes, he should have... but i am sick and fucking tired of people equating him with a pedophile... he wasn't and should not even be mentioned in the same breath as Sandusky.

Paterno should have done more, but im sure it wasn't easy.. it is easy as fuck to say "You call the cops, you call the cops right away"... but it was not Paterno who said "look, sandusky is doing this and we are just going to look the other way"... he found out about it, unsubstantiated, as it may have been at the time, and he reported it to his superiors... he did what he had to do... and now in his death, people label him in the same breath as a man like Sandusky... that my friends truly sickens me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
Paterno got put into a situation I guarantee he never ever in a million years expected he would be involved in, and he didn't know what to do, and in his head, he did the right thing by going up the ladder to his superiors. His superiors lack of execution has painted Paterno as an enabler and that could not be further from the truth. He could have and should have done more, 100% agree, but the dude is not some sycophant who stood in the corner jerking off while Sandusky raped young children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
What's disgusting is everyone jumping to the wrong conclusions and vilifying the wrong person. Given the circumstances, I understand the anger but it's so misplaced directing it at Joe Pa at this time. His undisputed track record of caring and of integrity earned him the benefit of the doubt from anyone truly aware of what he has done in life. That has NOTHING to do with winning football games. I'm not even a PSU fan but I know what Joe Pa has contributed over the years to his players and University.

Mitch Albom said it best, "A man should not be judged by the worst thing he ever did, let alone be judged by the worst thing he's ever been accused of and never had a chance to really respond to. Whatever took place in the Sandusky issue - and none of us likely know - a man's life has ended, and respects must be paid, and Paterno did a lot of good and it should be noted. Prayers for his family."
I had some fun re-reading this thread www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144756
Old 07-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Penn St is taking down the statue. Took them long enough as usual to do the right thing. Those kids at that school are supposed to be smart. I guess not.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:24 AM
Quote:
I hope it is decided to discontinue the football program Joe and the college wanted guard so badly.
How about instead of that, they just fire the people involved and hire new people? That way, the people that deserve to be punished are punished and the student athletes who worked their asses off don't get punished.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Quote:
I hope it is decided to discontinue the football program Joe and the college wanted guard so badly.
I don't know if that would be fair to the kids who trained their asses off to get into the program. Of course, I doubt they'd have any problem getting a football scholarship for other schools.

Quote:
Penn St is taking down the statue. Took them long enough as usual to do the right thing. Those kids at that school are supposed to be smart. I guess not.
I forgot that the students make all the decisions.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
How about instead of that, they just fire the people involved and hire new people? That way, the people that deserve to be punished are punished and the student athletes who worked their asses off don't get punished.
No, that would not be the point. The point is the cover up was to protect the program. The student athletes are allowed to transfer right now and they do not get hurt. What you want is the happy go lucky way of looking at things where no one, but the bad people get hurt. In reality, good people get hurt all the time at the expense of the innocent.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ns-dating-1998

Quote:
The NCAA has hit Penn State with a $60 million sanction, a four-year football postseason ban and a vacation of all wins dating to 1998, the organization said Monday morning.

The career record of former head football coach Joe Paterno will reflect these vacated records, the statement continued.

Penn State must also reduce 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period, the release said.

The NCAA revealed the sanctions as NCAA president Mark Emmert and Ed Ray, the chairman of the NCAA's executive committee, and Oregon State's president spoke at a news conference in Indianapolis at the organization's headquarters.

"In the Penn State case, the results were perverse and unconscionable," Emmert said.

"No price the NCAA can levy with repair the damage inflicted by Jerry Sandusky on his victims," he said, referring to the former Penn State defensive coordinator convicted of 45 counts of child sex abuse last month.

The NCAA said the $60 million was equivalent to the average annual revenue of the football program. The NCAA ordered Penn State to pay the penalty funds into an endowment for "external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university."

The Penn State athletic program will also be put on five-year probation and must work with an athletic-integrity monitor of NCAA's chosing.

"There is incredible interest in what will happen to Penn State football," Ray said at the news conference. "But the fundamental chapter of this horrific story should focus on the innocent children and and the powerful people who let them down."

The NCAA's announcement followed a day after Penn State removed Joe Paterno's statue outside Beaver Stadium, a decision that came 10 days after a scathing report by former FBI director Louis J. Freeh found that Paterno, with three other top Penn State administrators, had concealed allegations of child sexual abuse made against Sandusky.

The Freeh report concluded their motive was to shield the university and its football program from negative publicity.

The NCAA took unprecedented measures with the decision to penalize Penn State without the due process of a Committee on Infractions hearing, bypassing a system in which it conducts its own investigations, issues a notice of allegations and then allows the university 90 days to respond before a hearing is scheduled.

Following the hearing, the Infractions Committee then usually takes a minimum of six weeks, but it can take upwards of a year to issue its findings.

But in the case of Penn State, the NCAA appeared to use the Freeh report -- commissioned by the school's board of trustees -- instead of its own investigation.

"We cannot look to NCAA history to determine how to handle circumstances so disturbing, shocking and disappointing," Emmert said in the statement. "As the individuals charged with governing college sports, we have a responsibility to act. These events should serve as a call to every single school and athletics department to take an honest look at its campus environment and eradicate the 'sports are king' mindset that can so dramatically cloud the judgment of educators."

NCAA Division I Board of Directors and/or the NCAA Executive Committee granted Emmert the authority to punish through the nontraditional methods.

"It was a unanimous act," Ray said. "We needed to act."

Penn State athletics had been given no indication from the NCAA about what sanctions or penalties were to be levied on the department and football program, a source with direct knowledge of the situation in State College told ESPN.com's Andy Katz on Sunday night. If this were a traditional infractions case, the athletic department would have known up to 24 hours in advance.
WOW! They got slammed. Joe P loses a huge chunk of wins! They lose a ton of scholarships for 4 years. Their football program is going to take years to rebuild. I am thinking think Marshall.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Quote:
WOW! They got slammed. Joe P loses a huge chunk of wins! They lose a ton of scholarships for 4 years. Their football program is going to take years to rebuild. I am thinking think Marshall.
Paterno is dead. I doubt he gives a damn. Instead, taking away wins hurts the living student athletes who work hard and are completely innocent of any crimes.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Paterno is dead. I doubt he gives a damn. Instead, taking away wins hurts the living student athletes who work hard and are completely innocent of any crimes.
His family is alive and still doing their best to hide the truth. They are privately paying for their own investigation. lol His son was on staff and you know he knew.

I will say this a different way. If you work for a company and the big bosses make decisions and choices that kill the business, innocent people lose their jobs and get hurt. Those big bosses get golden parachutes. It is not fair or good, but that is life. The NCAA did what they had to do. They did right, but the innocent children that were hurt when Joe and Penn St could have stopped it. Those student athletes do not lose their education. That is why they went to Penn St. Education is the job of Penn St. Besides taking away wins is what the NCAA does. When USC lost wins just because of some little thing Bush did, where was your outcry for the others that did nothing wrong? for the school that had nothing to do with anything?
Old 07-23-2012, 12:47 PM
I tried to tell you guys in the other thread that the guy was nothing but scum.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Well, those wins are mostly identified with Paterno, who is no longer the winningest coach in college football history. I didn't think it was fair for him to have that record anyway because he coached there for as long as Wilford Brimley has been alive (rough estimation).
Old 07-23-2012, 01:34 PM
DAMN. PSU just got effed in the a.

GOOD. They have no one to blame but themselves.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:53 PM
While I agree with removing the Paterno statue and fining the school that hefty price tag.. I can not be on board with them not allowing Penn State to be involved in any bowls for 4 years. That SOLELY screws the students who are playing at the school. These kids have dedicated their college careers to Penn State and they deserve to be able to compete. I know I know, by not allowing Bowl Appearances Penn State loses massive chunks of money... but the kids who are playing for Penn State right now don't deserve this... they didnt fuck young kids and conceal the facts, they chose a school with a hidden and seedy past that they had no way of knowing, and now they are fucked.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Collateral damage. While protecting Sandusky and helping the program in the short term, they screwed over the students in the long run. Besides, those students are not the real victims here, let's not forget that.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:27 PM
The student/players are not screwed. They can keep their scholarships and choose not to play, they can transfer without penalty (and some already have said they would) or they can play on a team that will remain tarnished for years and not win a bowl game no matter how well they play.

They have a choice and at this point who would want to remain on a team that for years had this dirty little secret and did nothing about it?
Old 07-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Besides, those students are not the real victims here, let's not forget that.
Yeah, anytime life metaphorically fucks me in the ass, I have no right to feel bad because at least I wasn't literally fucked in the ass by Sandusky.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magjournal View Post
Yeah, anytime life metaphorically fucks me in the ass, I have no right to feel bad because at least I wasn't literally fucked in the ass by Sandusky.
It's not my fault you're not his type.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:06 PM
I think everything done here is ok EXCEPT the removing of 40 scholarships.

Paterno's legacy deserves to be trashed. I also think the fine is legit, as is the postseason ban.

But I think removing the 60 scholarships is brutal. Since players can transfer without penalty, I think Penn St. will essentially be using their limited scholarships to replace people who will probably transfer.

Emmert said that the "death penalty" would bring significant damage to people who had nothing to do with the case. Seems like what he did still has that effect.

I also think there's some hypocrisy in Emmert's statement about, essentially, not glorifying football in universities. Please.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 07-23-2012 at 06:09 PM..
Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 PM
The point of the NCAA sanctions was not only to punish but to try to change the football culture at Penn which made it sacrosanct and above everything else. As has been mentioned, the players haven't lost by having taken their wins away. They still received an education (one would hope) and can take pride in their achievements. However, as someone mentioned on a show this morning, a football win, even a championship season, never gave a student an advancement in life, never gave them a job, never earned them a salary. Hopefully the culture at Penn will change but it's bothersome to see that even today, alumnae have been posting to discussion boards, saying things like the causes from these sanctions came from without the school and are made to tear down everything good the school and its football program has done. Sorry, but the damage was done from within, the school didn't need any help in causing the damage it did.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
It's not my fault you're not his type.

Yea he is over 16 so that is gross to Sandusky.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:35 PM
I'm way too old for Sandusky. I mean I'm in high school for Chrissake!

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.