Director - Sam Raimi

James Franco
Mila Kunis
Michelle Williams
Rachel Weisz
Zach Braff
Abigail Spencer

Trailer - http://bit.ly/N447Hl

Synopsis - Disney’s fantastical adventure “Oz The Great and Powerful,” directed by Sam Raimi, imagines the origins of L. Frank Baum’s beloved character, the Wizard of Oz. When Oscar Diggs (James Franco), a small-time circus magician with dubious ethics, is hurled away from dusty Kansas to the vibrant Land of Oz, he thinks he’s hit the jackpot—fame and fortune are his for the taking—that is until he meets three witches, Theodora (Mila Kunis), Evanora (Rachel Weisz) and Glinda (Michelle Williams), who are not convinced he is the great wizard everyone’s been expecting. Reluctantly drawn into the epic problems facing the Land of Oz and its inhabitants, Oscar must find out who is good and who is evil before it is too late. Putting his magical arts to use through illusion, ingenuity—and even a bit of wizardry—Oscar transforms himself not only into the great and powerful Wizard of Oz but into a better man as well.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:21 PM
The cast excites me, besides Franco. This could be really okay or really bad. I doubt it'll be really good.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Color me impressed. I actually think this could be an interesting family film. Out of all the "let's retell a classic story" films that have been coming out lately, this seems to be the diamond in the rough.

I never count out Sam Raimi. He can surprise you when you least expect it. The guy's got real flare, and the cast seem pretty solid. I look forward to Rachel Wiesz go full witch mode.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:46 PM
It looks like Sam Raimi is trying ape Tim Burton to me. Watching the teaser, it just feels more Burton-esque than from Raimi. Teaser frequently reminded me of Burton's Alice in Wonderland. But I actually like the idea of doing a prequel of Wizard of Oz. Certainly beats the idea of doing a remake/reboot! And James Franco as the wizard is sort of perfect casting.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty impressed as well. I'm a Franco fan, but I find he phones it in a bit with some roles. He actually looks quite good here and really genuine. While I understand the comparisons to Burton, I actually think that this looks more impressive visually (and certainly emotionally) than anything Burton has done in a while.

I also loved that last shot.

Last edited by Bourne101; 07-17-2012 at 12:57 PM..
Old 07-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post

I also loved that last shot.
That was actually my biggest problem with it. Why did it need to be CGI?
Old 07-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Love the cast, but the trailer (or was it a teaser) didn't really do that much for me. I don't know how much of a prequel this is to The Wizard of Oz, but I'll probably give it a shot . . . simply out of curiosity.

I think I would rather have seen a film adaptation of "Wicked."
Old 07-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Didn't do much for me either bigred.

I do agree with Bourne that Franco is known to "phone it in" (esp in Rise of the Apes) but I'm still a fan of his(127 Hours was awesome and he is great in Freaks & Geeks).

I'm hoping this is great but I have my doubts
Old 07-18-2012, 03:02 PM
The trailer was okay. But the movie looks like it has a serious case of "Chosen One"-itis, much like Alice in Wonderland did.