Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 03:14 AM
Here's more reason for everyone to hate Bay, and love Fincher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tHDM...layer_embedded
Old 07-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Wow. I didn't realize Michael Bay directed so many Meat Loaf videos.

I'm not exactly shocked that Michael Bay seems to have "copied" so much from David Fincher. Bay has never struck me as an original director.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Fuck Fincher. Yeah, I said it. I would rather watch Bay than Fincher. I know you all love Fincher, but to me, he has 3 movies I can watch over and over. I can watch Bays movies over and over and still enjoy. Neither one is Hitchcock.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:49 AM
I'm not sure that this is necessarily a reason to love Fincher. But one can never have enough reasons to hate Michael Bay.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:11 PM
It's actually a good case for disliking both of them. I bet you could find earlier sources for those images, specifically the chick in the bathtub shot. I'm not going to do it, but instead encourage you to do it.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:15 PM
I noticed that both directors used flashlights in the dark in their respective videos, the youtube video remarking that Fincher used it first.

I think Spielberg did before both of them in E.T. So what does that prove? Not much. Everybody steals from everybody.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
I noticed that both directors used flashlights in the dark in their respective videos, the youtube video remarking that Fincher used it first.

I think Spielberg did before both of them in E.T. So what does that prove? Not much. Everybody steals from everybody.
I agree. I didn't see anything really innovative in Fincher's videos to see the big deal.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:56 PM
The top YT comment:

Quote:
FOR THE RECORD: THE MEATLOAF VIDEO WAS FINCHER'S CONCEPT THAT BAY WAS BROUGHT INTO DIRECT... "Fincher was very expensive. He and the label were at an impasse over the Meat Loaf video, so I said, "Why don't we just give this to Michael Bay?" Fincher gave it to Bay, we ended up spending $750,000, and it was a seminal video. Michael directed it, and it was David's concept. That was the first and last time Fincher and Bay collaborated." - Joni Sighvatsson from the book I Want My MTV.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:40 PM

no need to hate Michael bay.and loved fincher's work in Fightclub.since then,fincher is just playing safe,nothing exceptional.The social network is hugely over-rated.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Fincher is a genius filmmaker and hands down my favorite director. I will admit I didn't quite care for a couple of his last films though (Benjamin Button & Dragon Tattoo, which I thought was unnecessary). Social Network & of course Zodiac were both flat out awesome though.

Can't wait for his next project.

Michael Bay...not so much.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Personally I like both Bay and Fincher. I just know the general sentiment from everyone concerning Bay is pretty negative. However Fincher wins.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:36 PM
I actually can't hate on Bay. You know why? Because he knows how to do two things: (1) make mindless, yet entertaining popcorn flicks, and (2) blow shit up. With that said, he's by no means a great or original director, and his filmography consists of some absolute garbage which I cannot and will not defend.

As for Fincher, he's a brilliant filmmaker. One of the best working in the film industry today. I love most of his work, with exception of a couple. When he releases a film, that film is a must-see, a big event for me. Fincher FTW!

Strider
Old 07-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Right. Because if there is one thing music videos and TV commercials are known for, its the 100% originality of every single one.

Bay and Fincher came up through the same production company; it only makes sense that their stuff at that time would look similar. I mean, what else can you really do with a chick in a bath tub?
Old 07-10-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm not going to read a single post on the subject.
I don't need any more reasons to hate Bay & love Fincher.
I have more than I need already.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:19 PM
If you think that's bad, check out this video exposing some hack named Quentin Tarantino ripping off Ringo Lam's City on Fire nearly word for word and scene by scene.

Who Do You Think You're Fooling?
Old 07-11-2012, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Fuck Fincher. Yeah, I said it. I would rather watch Bay than Fincher. I know you all love Fincher, but to me, he has 3 movies I can watch over and over. I can watch Bays movies over and over and still enjoy. Neither one is Hitchcock.

I'm not Finichers best fan.... I really like Fight Club and Zodiac.... None of his movies I alright hate. But watching Bay instead? Yuck.

Damn dude. Bay sucks. He's probably the only outright director I hate. Joel Schumacher has made more good films than him.

Armageddon/Pearl Harbor and Bay Boys 2 are three of the worst movies ever made. Armageddon was the movie where I first started to suspect that Bay was a hack. Bad Boys 2 made me sure of it. His films are a reflection of our society.... Dumb, shallow and prone to consumption. Americans can't get enough of consuming garbage.

Last edited by rocknblues81; 07-11-2012 at 02:51 AM..
Old 07-11-2012, 02:58 AM
I loved Michael Bay in the 90's. Bad Boys, The Rock and Armageddon were freaking awesome movies! But he started to get on and off in the 2000's. Pearl Harbor was just a guilty pleasure. Taking the movie seriously, it's pretty awful. But the movie is fairly enjoyable albeit too long. Bad Boys 2 was enjoyable but too long by a good 30 to 45 minutes. The Island was fantastic for the two thirds. But the third act was incredibly disappointing and pretty stupid. And then there are the Transformers flicks. The only one I liked was the last one. The other were pretty mediocre. Especially the first one.

To be fair to Bay though, his next movie, Pain and Gain, sounds pretty promising. But the truth is, Armageddon was the last movie he did that I flat out loved.

Fincher, on the other hand, is just a really awesome filmmaker. Love the guy.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Fincher is a genius filmmaker and hands down my favorite director. I will admit I didn't quite care for a couple of his last films though (Benjamin Button & Dragon Tattoo, which I thought was unnecessary). Social Network & of course Zodiac were both flat out awesome though.

Can't wait for his next project.

Michael Bay...not so much.
This. I completely agree. Dragon Tattoo sucked all kindsa shit. Hoping his next movie is significantly better!
Old 07-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Quoted from someone on Youtube...I don't understand the internets obsession with shitting on Michael Bay who is an objectively accomplished film maker....I can't stop laughing..I just watched the 3rd Transformers on Netflix and I have no idea how this pile of shit is allowed to get within 50 miles of a Hollywood studio
Old 07-11-2012, 11:09 PM
At least Bay is actually capable at crafting a decent action sequence. Say what you will about the movie as a whole, but the building scene, where Sam and company are in the building as it's being cut in half, is a virtuoso piece of action filmmaking. It's a terrific scene. Had me at the edge of my seat. Wish the rest of the movie were on that level.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Bay can definitely craft awesome action, no doubt about it. I think it's the only thing he's good at. Blowing shit up.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Can't say I'm not surprised. It seems like everyone was copying everyone at the time. Music videos were still new in the 80's, so it would make sense for there to be certain traits that were copied from one video to another. Also, Bay was learning at the time. He probably thought of himself as a protege to Fincher, so what better way to learn than to emulate somebody you look up to? Personally, he didn't do a bad job at all. He clearly knew how to recreate those shots because to be honest, they're not that hard or special to do. I think they're both talented in their own way. Fincher could never direct an action sequence half as good as Bay and Bay could never direct a serious script half as good as Fincher.

To balance out the love/hate fest, here's an interesting quote from R. Lee Ermey about working with Fincher on Seven:

RLE: I don't think David Fincher is any better of a director than anybody else in Hollywood. If anything, I think he's a little chicken shit. He's afraid to take chances. He's afraid to let anybody change one word in the script, and you know what? I don't have any respect for a director that does that. He wants puppets. He doesn't want actors that are creative. If you're not worth a shit at acting, and you're not creative, then I would recommend that you go work with David Fincher, because he won't let you act, even if you are a fucking good actor. In other words, David Fincher can kiss my ass. I don't think he's much of a director. After Se7en came out, everyone was ranting about David Fincher. Shit, I didn't see him do anything creative. All he did was set the shots up. Anybody else you want to slam?

I know Ermey's crazy, but I always get a chuckle out of that one.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
At least Bay is actually capable at crafting a decent action sequence. Say what you will about the movie as a whole, but the building scene, where Sam and company are in the building as it's being cut in half, is a virtuoso piece of action filmmaking. It's a terrific scene. Had me at the edge of my seat. Wish the rest of the movie were on that level.
Yes..I do agree with you on that 100%..I kind of wish I got to see that scene in the theatre
Old 07-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop No. 633 View Post
To balance out the love/hate fest, here's an interesting quote from R. Lee Ermey about working with Fincher on Seven:

RLE: I don't think David Fincher is any better of a director than anybody else in Hollywood. If anything, I think he's a little chicken shit. He's afraid to take chances. He's afraid to let anybody change one word in the script, and you know what? I don't have any respect for a director that does that. He wants puppets. He doesn't want actors that are creative. If you're not worth a shit at acting, and you're not creative, then I would recommend that you go work with David Fincher, because he won't let you act, even if you are a fucking good actor. In other words, David Fincher can kiss my ass. I don't think he's much of a director. After Se7en came out, everyone was ranting about David Fincher. Shit, I didn't see him do anything creative. All he did was set the shots up. Anybody else you want to slam?

I know Ermey's crazy, but I always get a chuckle out of that one.
Some of those criticisms sound similar to another director Ermey worked with. But still, when you've worked with Kubrick, every director is going to be chicken shit compared to him.

Last edited by Matchbox225; 07-12-2012 at 06:11 PM..
Old 07-16-2012, 06:37 AM
Fuck David Fincher.
For being the type of director that he is.
And fuck Michael Bay too. For being the type of director he is.
And while we're at it,
since no one director out there is universally loved, particularly for whatever style they use,
fuck every single director out there working today.

They should all just direct one way.
Then maybe, just maybe,
they'll be loved by everyone. And then we wouldn't have to take out our opinionated frustrations on threads like these.
But since that's an impossibility,
fuck them all.

Shit.
I shouldn't have read this thread.
Now I'm pissed.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:38 AM
Man,
how I hate directors.....
Old 07-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Micheal is a great shill for the corporate corruption state that american is currently in.

-Product placement

-Phony sentiment

-Big dumb action

-Over-budget spectacle that appeals to a population of consumers.

-Model women that fit the ridiculous american beauty standards
Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
Micheal is a great shill for the corporate corruption state that american is currently in.
Riiiiiiiiiiiight!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Riiiiiiiiiiiight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irw7SRv-l44&feature=plcp

Bay's films represent a lot of what is wrong with American TV today.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:28 PM
I stopped watching that video once they started talking about "Brangelina" and them complaining about lack of privacy "even though they alert the media every time they adopt a baby from another country".

What a bunch of bull shit. Shitty video not worth my time.

And Michael Bay makes entertaining movie for the masses. Nothing more. You may not like them, heck, I'm not as big a fan of Bay's as I use to be. But that's all he does.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:41 PM
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irw7SRv-l44&feature=plcp

Bay's films represent a lot of what is wrong with American TV today.
Pretty good video. Best part was 2:15, "trained monkey collaborators of death." ha. I think that's my new favorite put down. Thanks North Korea!

Yeah, America is severely fucked up, but so is the rest of the world including NK. I think some of their statistics are wrong and inflated in the video, but that doesn't surprise me and doesn't change the hideousness of the problems.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Quote:
I stopped watching that video once they started talking about "Brangelina" and them complaining about lack of privacy "even though they alert the media every time they adopt a baby from another country".

What a bunch of bull shit. Shitty video not worth my time.

And Michael Bay makes entertaining movie for the masses. Nothing more. You may not like them, heck, I'm not as big a fan of Bay's as I use to be. But that's all he does.
The way things are, and the way people are now, people got the america they deserve.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:03 PM
Quote:
The way things are, and the way people are now, people got the america they deserve.
Once again, comments like these just make me go:

For the record: I'm talking about pop culture. Not the government or politics or anything like that.

I hate how snobbish some people are about reality television. People should be allowed to have their guilty pleasures. Especially same people seem to ignore the good stuff. For instance, many people, I'm included, will show you that we have actually reached a golden age for television drama. Shows like Justified, Homeland, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, etc. easily offset the reality television junk that we often get.

Last edited by ilovemovies; 07-16-2012 at 11:06 PM..
Old 07-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Quote:

For the record: I'm talking about pop culture. Not the government or politics or anything like that.

I hate how snobbish some people are about reality television. People should be allowed to have their guilty pleasures. Especially same people seem to ignore the good stuff. For instance, many people, I'm included, will show you that we have actually reached a golden age for television drama. Shows like Justified, Homeland, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, etc. easily offset the reality television junk that we often get.
but if you watch the whole video, they talk about how these guilty pleasures mainly serve not as a brief escape for otherwise dedicated people struggling for "a better world", but mainly as a surrogate narcotic for the timid that ruins their minds like many other addictive substances. I've seen the evils first hand. Don't do crack kids...or t.v.

Last edited by Bengt Ekerot; 07-16-2012 at 11:14 PM..
Old 07-16-2012, 11:15 PM
Quote:

Every show you just mentioned is a cable show that doesn't have the large audience that reality tv still does. Reality tv dominated the networks for a long time and that's partly why most of the great shows now are on cable.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Fine. Some great network shows: Fringe (well, okay, this is not highly rated, but it is a network show that has managed to last 5 seasons), The Good Wife, Supernatural, Person of Interest, Nikita among others.

Haven't seen Revenge and Once Upon a Time but I've heard good things about them.

Plenty of good stuff on television both on the networks and on cable.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
Every show you just mentioned is a cable show that doesn't have the large audience that reality tv still does. Reality tv dominated the networks for a long time and that's partly why most of the great shows now are on cable.
I don't even think someone like Paris Hilton and Snooki deserve to called humans. They're basically parasites.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:24 PM

Last edited by ilovemovies; 07-17-2012 at 12:09 AM..
Old 07-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Quote:
I don't even think someone like Paris Hilton and Snooki deserve to called humans. They're basically parasites.
That made me think of this Hahaha

http://youtu.be/YxKjga305cY
Old 07-17-2012, 11:49 PM
There are worse people on the planet than Paris Hilton and Snooki. I think maybe we should focus more on them before we worry about someone like those two.

I'm gonna actually defend Snooki though. It really seems like she's taking motherhood seriously and is doing away from her partying ways to raise her baby and I give her props for that.