Old 01-10-2013, 11:28 PM
Haha, screeners were definitely not the problem. What happened was obviously political. Bigelow and Affleck didn't get in because a lot of the people sitting around Montana who don't really watch the films thought a) Bigelow had won too recently, b) It's been years since they've really done much in the film industry and they still view Affleck as Bennifer.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Haha, screeners were definitely not the problem. What happened was obviously political. Bigelow and Affleck didn't get in because a lot of the people sitting around Montana who don't really watch the films thought a) Bigelow had won too recently, b) It's been years since they've really done much in the film industry and they still view Affleck as Bennifer.
This is why I think the DGA could be interesting. It's a bigger group with a lot of young talent in both film and television. I still think Spielberg will take that though.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:58 PM
Guess we know how big of a precursor the DGA was for the Director's category.

It makes things more interesting, but, yeah. The alternative sucks this year. At least they got Haneke in. That almost makes up for the other two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
This is why I think the DGA could be interesting. It's a bigger group with a lot of young talent in both film and television. I still think Spielberg will take that though.
Well, judging from the reaction that Affleck got today from the CCMAs, I wouldn't be too sure. I understand that most of the people voting for the DGA winner weren't a part of the crowd in the CCMAs but still. I could totally see either Affleck or Bigelow winning DGA just for consolation

Last edited by DaMovieMan; 01-11-2013 at 12:01 AM..
Old 01-11-2013, 12:50 AM
WOW, what a boring group of nominees!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 02:15 AM
So I think this year - once and for all - proves that the oscars have become a joke.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:17 AM
Having just seen Zero Dark Thirty i have to say that the academy must have their heads so far up their asses this year.

Argo and Zero Dark Thirty have the BEST uses of edge of your seat tension in the final 30 minutes of each movie that i have EVER seen. And I mean that, EVER. Even though these 2 movies are recreating events that most people know the outcome, these 2 movies create these moments of sheer suspense that I have never seen done better. For Affleck and Bigelow to be left off that list of Nominees is ridiculous, I am sure Hanake and the Beasts/ Southern Wild directors did amazing jobs with those movies, and yes Lincoln is really good, did Spielberg REALLY do anything super special with it? I dont think so, maybe not making the movie boring and actually engaging is a massive achievement, but not when it means Bigelow and Affleck get left out in the cold when they both demonstrated some of the best tension i have ever seen on film.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:43 AM
The oscars have never been about talent. they are more about who can whore out their movie the best. that said, I like pretty much all the categories except Director.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post

I'm happy that The Master was snubbed in the screenplay category. I'm fine with Joaquin Phoenix and Phillip Seymour Hoffman getting in, but I don't really get Amy Adams' inclusion. I love Amy Adams in general, but I didn't think her performance in The Master was anything special. I mean, like Leo Dicaprio in Django, it's something different from her. But still not really anything special.
I think people were more surprised about The Master not getting a cinematography nomination than a writing one.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:04 AM

Sucks that Leo wasnt nominated. I really thought he would not only get nominated but win too.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Sucks that Leo wasnt nominated. I really thought he would not only get nominated but win too.
I think the snub has a strong shade of jealousy against the man. He bags women like a bagger bags groceries. Nice analogy, I think.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
I think the snub has a strong shade of jealousy against the man. He bags women like a bagger bags groceries. Nice analogy, I think.
I'm also upset that Leo wasn't nominated. One of the best villain performances of the year, easily.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Don't worry about Leo guys. Not only is he getting nominated next year, but he's winning next year for Wolf on Wall Street.

The director's category is easily the worst of the bunch, which is crazy to me considering that my favorite (with a chance) got nominated.

Out of the nine best picture nominees, at least five are in my top ten of the year, so that's still a pretty good indication that the nominees are, overall, damn good this year.

On an unrelated note, here's further proof of why I think Spielberg is a bit of a douche.

On Bigelow's snub:

Quote:
Yes, it was a surprise, but I've been surprised myself through the years, so I know what it feels like. I never question the choices the academy branches make, because I've been in the same place that Kathryn and Ben find themselves today. I'm grateful if I'm nominated, and I've never felt anything other than gratitude even when I'm not – gratitude for at least having been able to make the movie. So I never question the choices.
Ok so that last part is fine, makes him sound like a normal human being, but dude...you haven't been in the same place before. First female director to win an Oscar, go on to make the most critically acclaimed film of the year, get nominated by every possible awards body but get shut out by the Academy? Make three outstanding films in a row, get critically praised for all of them, get the MOST praise for your last one, get nominated by every major awards body but get shut out by the Academy?

Yeah, he knows exactly how they feel.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:26 AM
All Spielberg was saying is that he's been snubbed before, so he probably knows what they are going through.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Quote:
All Spielberg was saying is that he's been snubbed before, so he probably knows what they are going through.
Yeah, but, he doesn't because when he was snubbed (for his first film, Jaws back in the 70s and for Color Purple in 1985) it was completely different. Neither of those films were as praised as Zero Dark Thirty and Argo by the critics, and the thing is Bigelow must have that extra feeling of being fucked out of the boy's club.

All I'm saying is, he turned it around and made it about him when he could have just said the last thing and expressed his shock and surprise - like everyone else.

Just smells like such an Academy friendly response to me, reminding everyone how he got snubbed (nevermind that he picked up two directing Oscars after those snubs) so that his chances of getting a third are even higher.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Check out 5 new Oscar promos featuring host Seth MacFarlane - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2xG
Old 01-11-2013, 10:55 AM
After being snubbed by the Academy, Argo and Affleck win big at 18th Annual Critics Choice Awards - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2xL
Old 01-11-2013, 11:40 AM
SNUBBED IMO:

Ben Affleck

Richard Gere

John Hawkes
Old 01-11-2013, 01:47 PM
I still don't know why the Academy seems to hate pt anderson so much. I think it's because his movies don't make $100 million dollars, but that's weird since the academy usually doesn't recognize big blockbuster movies, but hey Tarantino is cool(lol) so I guess they'll make an exception. but if you want to talk about snubs how does a screenplay like The Master get that many nominees in the best acting categories yet doesn't get a nomination for best original screenplay? weren't those great roles a result of the screenplay? pt anderson is a much better writer than quentin tarantino. too bad the academy doesn't recognize that, but how long was it before martin scorsese finally got his academy award? so maybe pt anderson should be proud to be in great company.

I read a draft of the Django unchained screenplay and it came across as a big mess to me. there's nothing original about sloppy writing.

I am happy that a movie like beasts of the southern wild was recognized so it wasn't all disappointing news.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
Yeah, but, he doesn't because when he was snubbed (for his first film, Jaws back in the 70s and for Color Purple in 1985) it was completely different. Neither of those films were as praised as Zero Dark Thirty and Argo by the critics, and the thing is Bigelow must have that extra feeling of being fucked out of the boy's club.
He was snubbed last year for War Horse as well (sure you can argue if he was even deserving of a nomination, but it was a snub for him nevertheless).
Old 01-11-2013, 06:25 PM
Golden Globe Predictions

Best Picture - Drama: Argo
Best Actress - Drama: Jessica Chastain - Zero Dark Thirty
Best Actor - Drama: Daniel Day-Lewis - Lincoln
Best Picture - Comedy or Musical: Silver Linings Playbook
Best Actress - Comedy or Musical: Jennifer Lawrence - Silver Linings Playbook
Best Actor - Comedy or Musical: Hugh Jackman - Les Miserables
Best Animated Film: Wreck-It Ralph
Best Foreign Film: Amour
Best Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway - Les Miserables
Best Supporting Actor: Phillip Seymour Hoffman - The Master
Best Director: Ben Affleck - Argo
Best Screenplay: Tony Kushner - Lincoln
Best Original Score: Life of Pi
Best Original Song: "Skyfall" - Skyfall

Might make a few changes before Sunday.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Is it possible, when marking down the ballots, people put Affleck and Bigelow lower because they assumed they would both get in and instead put Hanake and Zeitlin in the top 2 positions to help them?

It's something to think about.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:53 PM
The fuck man Leo got snubbed and what in the flying fuck is Les Miserables doing on the best pic nom?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
He was snubbed last year for War Horse as well (sure you can argue if he was even deserving of a nomination, but it was a snub for him nevertheless).
Haha, good one. I'm pretty sure he wasn't expecting to be nominated for that.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Golden Globe Predictions

Best Picture - Drama: Argo
Best Actress - Drama: Jessica Chastain - Zero Dark Thirty
Best Actor - Drama: Daniel Day-Lewis - Lincoln
Best Picture - Comedy or Musical: Silver Linings Playbook
Best Actress - Comedy or Musical: Jennifer Lawrence - Silver Linings Playbook
Best Actor - Comedy or Musical: Hugh Jackman - Les Miserables
Best Animated Film: Wreck-It Ralph
Best Foreign Film: Amour
Best Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway - Les Miserables
Best Supporting Actor: Phillip Seymour Hoffman - The Master
Best Director: Ben Affleck - Argo
Best Screenplay: Tony Kushner - Lincoln
Best Original Score: Life of Pi
Best Original Song: "Skyfall" - Skyfall

Might make a few changes before Sunday.
I agree with almost all of your picks, except I think Les Miserables will win Best Picture (Comedy/Musical). The Golden Globes have always been much more friendly to musicals than the Academy, even when there were actual alternatives in the comedy category to choose from. For instance, Sweeney Todd beat out Juno in 2007, and Dreamgirls beat out Little Miss Sunshine the year before that. I mean, they even nominated the much maligned movie adaptations of The Phantom of the Opera and The Producers.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeyjw View Post
I agree with almost all of your picks, except I think Les Miserables will win Best Picture (Comedy/Musical). The Golden Globes have always been much more friendly to musicals than the Academy, even when there were actual alternatives in the comedy category to choose from. For instance, Sweeney Todd beat out Juno in 2007, and Dreamgirls beat out Little Miss Sunshine the year before that. I mean, they even nominated the much maligned movie adaptations of The Phantom of the Opera and The Producers.
And going back even farther than that, they picked Evita over Fargo.

Again, to the people upset with the DiCaprio snub, I do think the Waltz category business hurt him. Harvey said last year he would get DiCaprio the nomination, but he screwed him over. Missing SAG also hurt him a lot.

It's apparent to me now that Harvey's real pony in this race was always Silver Linings Playbook. He's going to do whatever it takes to get Best Picture.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
It's apparent to me now that Harvey's real pony in this race was always Silver Linings Playbook. He's going to do whatever it takes to get Best Picture.
Yep, he's going to try like hell to get that movie to win. If it wins either the PGA or SAG Best Ensemble award, it's going to be a fight to the end. Of course, Lincoln could just steamroll its way through the guilds, thus making the possibility of a Silver Linings Playbook victory seem very remote, but I'll say this much: if Weinstein's efforts prove successful, I think it will cause the biggest backlash to an Oscar winner since Crash, since I know quite a few people (including critics) who don't get what the big deal about Silver Linings Playbook is. So whether you like it or not, just for having Weinstein behind it, it's not the "little movie that could" like Juno or Little Miss Sunshine were, and Silver Linings Playbook vs. Lincoln is not David vs. Goliath; if Weinstein pushes hard for it, there's no way a Best Picture win wouldn't come without an enormous amount of negative press, and in the end, I believe it would unfortunately lead to the reputation of Silver Lining Playbook being forever linked to an unpopular Oscar victory, just like Shakespeare in Love and Crash (neither of which were nearly as hated before they won Oscars).

Last edited by Tkeyjw; 01-11-2013 at 11:44 PM..
Old 01-12-2013, 12:17 AM
Anyone here think that Affleck's director snub might actually help Argo for Best Picture? It's still picking up steam (especially after Critics Choice) and given the controversy of his snub and the continual acknowledgment of his hard work, the Academy might just decide to compensate him with the Best Pic Oscar (which he would share with Clooney, a big time favorite of theirs). I mean seriously, how ideal would that be for them? The grand prize going to a movie that practically salutes Hollywood and would be shared by two of the most well-liked and respected leading men (not to mention actors-turned-directors) in town. I wouldn't call it a "Lincoln vs. SLP" showdown just yet.

Last edited by Reckoner; 01-12-2013 at 12:25 AM..
Old 01-12-2013, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Anyone here think that Affleck's director snub might actually help Argo for Best Picture?
No. The last time a movie won best picture without having a best director nomination was way back when Driving Miss Daisy won. That's an awful long time ago and just proves how rare an occurrence it is.

Most people here seem to be predicting Lincoln as the frontrunner, but, while I reserve the right to change my mind later on, I'm actually leaning on Silver Linings Playbook winning as of right now. That could change, but this is what my gut is telling me.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
Haha, good one. I'm pretty sure he wasn't expecting to be nominated for that.
I agree with Reckoner. He was snubbed. War Horse was my favorite movie of last year.

I would also argue that he should have been nominated for Amistad. Such a great freaking movie! And Minority Report too. And maybe even possibly A.I.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:20 AM
Quote:
I agree with Reckoner. He was snubbed. War Horse was my favorite movie of last year.

I would also argue that he should have been nominated for Amistad. Such a great freaking movie! And Minority Report too. And maybe even possibly A.I.
The only movie he should have been nominated for out of all of those is A.I. no maybe or possibly about it. It's among his very best.

Anyways, whether you or Reckoner feel he was snubbed last year is kind of irrelevant to my original point (no offense). If you look at the history, hardly any pundits had him penciled in for a director's nomination for last year whereas Bigelow and Affleck were considered complete locks for this year. Please don't tell me it's the same thing and because he was "snubbed" for freakin' War Horse [a film that the majority of people feel is below the man's standards] he knows how Bigelow and Affleck feel. Come on now. I get that you're a huge fan of his work, but look at it a bit more objectively.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:42 AM
Yeah, comparing Spielberg's "snubs" to Bigelow's and Affleck's is ridiculous since they were both considered possibilities to win, Affleck less so, but certainly possible.

Spielberg has only ever been the frontrunner to win for Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan and now Lincoln.

Not sure about The Color Purple though? His snub was shocking, but I don't know about him being a frontrunner that year, especially since it went home empty handed.

I will never be upset about his snub though since it got Kurosawa his first and only Director nomination, which was awesome.

Last edited by Matchbox225; 01-12-2013 at 03:46 AM..
Old 01-12-2013, 10:22 AM
I think the comparison between Spielberg and Affleck/Bigelow is somewhat apt because he did get a DGA nom for Purple and the movie got a boatload of noms (11? 12?). I don't really find his cement that out of the norm. It was a surprising snub back in the day. This was 10 years after Jaws became a box office hit.

Back to Bigelow for a second, despite being left out for directing and the controversy over the pro-torture and the whole thing of accuracy, ZD30 is still looking to be #1 this weekend with a 25 million dollar haul. Sweet.

Last edited by Lazy Boy; 01-12-2013 at 10:50 AM..
Old 01-12-2013, 10:48 AM
I find the BAFTA's to be much more watchable and the Noms are fairer ...

Nominations are:

BEST FILM
Argo
Les Misérables
Life Of Pi
Lincoln
Zero Dark Thirty

OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM
Anna Karenina
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Les Misérables
Seven Psychopaths
Skyfall

OUTSTANDING DEBUT BY A BRITISH WRITER, DIRECTOR OR PRODUCER
Bart Layton (Director), Dimitri Doganis (Producer) The Imposter
David Morris (Director), Jacqui Morris (Director/Producer) McCullin
Dexter Fletcher (Director/Writer), Danny King (Writer) Wild Bill
James Bobin (Director) The Muppets
Tina Gharavi (Director/Writer) I Am Nasrine

FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
Amour
Headhunters
The Hunt
Rust And Bone
Untouchable

DOCUMENTARY
The Imposter
Marley
McCullin
Searching For Sugar Man
West Of Memphis

ANIMATED FILM
Brave
Frankenweenie
Paranorman

DIRECTOR
Michael Haneke – Amour
Ben Affleck – Argo
Quentin Tarantino – Django Unchained
Ang Lee – Life Of Pi
Kathryn Bigelow – Zero Dark Thirty

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Michael Haneke – Amour
Quentin Tarantino – Django Unchained
Paul Thomas Anderson – The Master
Wes Anderson, Roman Coppola – Moonrise Kingdom
Mark Boal – Zero Dark Thirty

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Chris Terrio – Argo
Lucy Alibar, Benh Zeitlin – Beasts Of The Southern Wild
David Magee – Life Of Pi
Tony Kushner – Lincoln
David O. Russell – Silver Linings Playbook

LEADING ACTOR
Ben Affleck – Argo
Bradley Cooper – Silver Linings Playbook
Daniel Day-Lewis – Lincoln
Hugh Jackman – Les Misérables
Joaquin Phoenix – The Master

LEADING ACTRESS
Emmanuelle Riva – Amour
Helen Mirren – Hitchcock
Jennifer Lawrence – Silver Linings Playbook
Jessica Chastain – Zero Dark Thirty
Marion Cotillard – Rust and Bone

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Alan Arkin – Argo
Christoph Waltz – Django Unchained
Javier Bardem – Skyfall
Philip Seymour Hoffman – The Master
Tommy Lee Jones – Lincoln

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Amy Adams – The Master
Anne Hathaway – Les Misérables
Helen Hunt – The Sessions
Judi Dench – Skyfall
Sally Field – Lincoln

ORIGINAL MUSIC
Anna Karenina – Dario Marianelli
Argo – Alexandre Desplat
Life Of Pi – Mychael Danna
Lincoln – John Williams
Skyfall – Thomas Newman

CINEMATOGRAPHY
Anna Karenina – Seamus McGarvey
Les Misérables – Danny Cohen
Life Of Pi – Claudio Miranda
Lincoln – Janusz Kaminski
Skyfall – Roger Deakins

EDITING
Argo – William Goldenberg
Django Unchained – Fred Raskin
Life Of Pi – Tim Squyres
Skyfall – Stuart Baird
Zero Dark Thirty – Dylan Tichenor, William Goldenberg

PRODUCTION DESIGN
Anna Karenina – Sarah Greenwood, Katie Spencer
Les Misérables – Eve Stewart, Anna Lynch-Robinson
Life Of Pi – David Gropman, Anna Pinnock
Lincoln – Rick Carter, Jim Erickson
Skyfall – Dennis Gassner, Anna Pinnock

COSTUME DESIGN
Anna Karenina – Jacqueline Durran
Great Expectations – Beatrix Aruna Pasztor
Les Misérables – Paco Delgado
LIincoln – Joanna Johnston
Snow White And The Huntsman – Colleen Atwood

MAKE UP & HAIR
Anna Karenina – Ivana Primorac
Hitchcock – Julie Hewett, Martin Samuel, Howard Berger
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – Peter Swords King, Richard Taylor, Rick Findlater
Les Misérables – Lisa Westcott
Lincoln – Lois Burwell, Kay Georgiou

SOUND
Django Unchained – Mark Ulano, Michael Minkler, Tony Lamberti, Wylie Stateman
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – Tony Johnson, Christopher Boyes, Michael Hedges, Michael Semanick, Brent Burge, Chris Ward
Les Misérables – Simon Hayes, Andy Nelson, Mark Paterson, Jonathan Allen, Lee Walpole, John Warhurst
Life Of Pi – Drew Kunin, Eugene Gearty, Philip Stockton, Ron Bartlett, D. M. Hemphill
Skyfall – Stuart Wilson, Scott Millan, Greg P. Russell, Per Hallberg, Karen Baker Landers

SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS
The Dark Knight Rises – Paul Franklin, Chris Corbould, Peter Bebb, Andrew Lockley
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton, R. Christopher White
Life Of Pi – Bill Westenhofer, Guillaume Rocheron, Erik-Jan De Boer
Marvel Avengers Assemble – Nominees TBC
Prometheus – Richard Stammers, Charley Henley, Trevor Wood, Paul Butterworth

SHORT ANIMATION
Here To Fall
I’m Fine Thanks
The Making Of Longbird

SHORT FILM
The Curse
Good Night
Swimmer
Tumult
The Voorman Problem

THE EE RISING STAR AWARD (voted for by the public)
Elizabeth Olsen
Andrea Riseborough
Suraj Sharma
Juno Temple
Alicia Vikander
Old 01-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
I think the comparison between Spielberg and Affleck/Bigelow is somewhat apt because he did get a DGA nom for Purple and the movie got a boatload of noms (11? 12?). I don't really find his cement that out of the norm. It was a surprising snub back in the day. This was 10 years after Jaws became a box office hit.

Back to Bigelow for a second, despite being left out for directing and the controversy over the pro-torture and the whole thing of accuracy, ZD30 is still looking to be #1 this weekend with a 25 million dollar haul. Sweet.
For The Color Purple and Jaws, that's the only two films he can legitimately feel snubbed for. The Color Purple was the only time he was as locked as Bigelow and Affleck this year, I think.

That's great news for Zero Dark Thirty
Old 01-12-2013, 02:01 PM
I actually forgot about Jaws. He was robbed of a nomination there. He didn't deserve to win, but a nomination, absolutely.

Back to The Color Purple. Does anybody know if Spielberg was ever considered a contender to win at any point? Or was it always going to be Sydney Pollack for Out Of Africa?
Old 01-12-2013, 04:29 PM
I don't know, maybe I'm crazy, but I have NO idea what's so great about Zero Dark Thirty. The most overrated movie I can remember. Chastain and was good in her role, Jason Clarke in his, and there were a few scenes I really enjoyed. Bigelow's direction was very good, but I don't think deserving of an Oscar nomination by any means. Basically the epitome of an 'above average, nothing more/nothing less' type film. Can someone for the love of God please explain why everyone is crapping in their pants over this film? I know it's easy (and usually warranted) to crap on the Academy for their snubs, but they snubbed the right person (Bigelow) in this case. I didn't feel any of this so called "tension" that everyone keeps going on about. Basically the entire movie played out exactly as I expected it to in a "finding and killing Osama Bin Laden is like, totally hard!" movie. Cheers to those who really enjoyed it, I'm quite envious because it seems those who are in favor of this film are REALLY in favor of this film (...somehow), but yea, this movie belongs nowhere near any Oscars as far as I'm concerned (Chastain was very good, but not even close to Lawrence, or Riva for that matter). All of the other characters I found totally irrelevant for the most part, because they basically were. I'd say that maybe knowing the ending killed the suspense for me, but that can't be because Argo totally pulled off the same thing.

Now, moving beyond that:

What the Academy did right:

-Thank God they didn't snub Joaquin Phoenix just because he said the Oscars are bullshit. IMO it's far and away the best performance of the year, and really should win although I'm OK with Day-Lewis and his once every few years monopoly of the Oscars taking it, as he was fantastic as well.

-Emmanuelle Riva and Haneke getting in for Amour.

-Waltz for Best Supporting - has anybody ever been better with Tarantino's dialogue than Waltz?

-Skyfall/Deakins for Cinematography

-Aforementioned Bigelow snub

What they did wrong:

-Alan Arkin for Best Supporting? For what? Playing Alan Arkin in a handful of scenes in a great movie? He had a few great lines, and said them in his 'grumpy Alan Arkiny' way, but how the hell does that warrant a nomination? If anybody from this film should get nominated, it should be Scoot McNairy, who was the emotional core of the film, and the guy I was most connected with and rooting for. Not to mention he was also great in Killing Them Softly.

-No DiCaprio for Best Supporting? Let me get this straight...Alan Arkin playing himself for 25 minutes of a movie is more deserving then one of the best actors working stretching himself and fully committing to the type of role people have demanded of him for years, playing against type, and stealing every single scene he's in? Plus the whole 'his real blood' thing is the mythical stuff acting heroes are born from. Plus he's overdue. Plus it would have been nice to see at least ONE person nominated for Best Supporting who hasn't won before.

-Hugh Jackman over John Hawkes? lmao

-A fucking five year old over Marion Cotillard? lmao 2

-Snubbing The Master and/or Moonrise Kingdom in favor of....nothing? Why not just celebrate one more great film rather then arbitraily having 9 because of the stupid way the votes work? Even in weak years, there are always at least 10 fantastic films. This year there are a TON of great films. I see nothing wrong with just rewarding the 10 best films.

-Jacki Weaver? JACKI WEAVER? Unless this is a "we're still reeling from her great performance in Animal Kingdom" type of thing...I don't understand how the hell this is possible. I totally forgot she was even in the movie. All she does is scream and cry when Cooper/De Niro fight. She wasn't bad by any means (in the 3-4 scenes she actually had dialogue in) but what gives? It's not even like it's an Academy favorite who's getting in on name alone. Totally baffled by this, though I did love the film itself.

-How in the fuck Affleck didn't get nominated for Best Director over Benh Fucking Zeitlin is something I'll never understand. I personally thought Affleck would/should win the damned thing. His film actually had the tension and suspense that people swear Zero Dark Thirty has, and the Academy usually overpraises actor-turned-directors. Plus he pulled off the period aspect insanely well, turned a story that seems kinda goofy on paper into an incredibly relatable and tense thriller, and not to mention he was also very good in the film. Would have been the perfect way to reward the 2nd/3rd best film of the year (critics wise) since it obviously belongs nowhere near any of the other major categories, except maybe for writing.

-Tarantino for Directing obviously would've been nice, though I'm having trouble finding who I'd replace him for (not counting Zeitlin, that's Affleck's spot). I personally think David O. Russell earned his nomination (I know others disagree), Lee should be in there, Spielberg was always a mortal lock, and I like the Haneke love. Hopefully he wins for writing to compensate.

As for my predictions of what will win:
-Best Picture - Lincoln
-Best Actor - Daniel Day-Lewis
-Best Actress - Jennifer Lawrence
-Supporting Actor - Tommy Lee Jones
-Supporting Actress - Anne Hathaway
-Directing - Steven Spielberg

As for what I think SHOULD win:
-Best Picture - Django Unchained
-Best Actor - Joaquin Phoenix
-Best Actress - Jennifer Lawrence
-Supporting Actor - Leonardo DiCaprio (if that's cheating, then PSH)
-Supporting Actress - Anne Hathaway
-Directing - Ben Affleck

This just seems like too good of an opportunity for the Oscars to just go full on "Steven Spielberg appreciation night" for this not to happen. Lincoln will walk away winning at least 6-7 I think. The only films that are even a remote threat to steal Best Picture are Argo and Silver Linings Playbook at this point. ZDT has rightfully lost most of it's insane hype/momentum, Life of Pi went a bit too under the radar to win anything major (except possibly Best Director, though that still seems very unlikely to me), and Django Unchained, despite being by far my favorite film of the year, is obviously WAY too controversial for the Academy to fully get behind.

Luckily I was smart enough to bet on Lincoln winning back when ZDT was the some hwo the odds on favorite.

Last edited by izzy2024; 01-12-2013 at 04:32 PM..
Old 01-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
I actually forgot about Jaws. He was robbed of a nomination there. He didn't deserve to win, but a nomination, absolutely.
"I didn't get it! I wasn't nominated!"

"I was beaten out by Fellini!"

That year: Altman, Fellini, Forman, Kubrick, Lumet

After the initial shock, I'm sure Spielbergo himself acknowledged the quality of that class of nominees.

Predictions:
Picture: Silver Linings Playbook
Director: Steven Spielberg, Lincoln
Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, The Master
Actress: Emannuelle Riva, Amour
A. Screenplay: Tony Kushner, Lincoln
O. Screeplay: Mark Boal, Zero Dark Thirty
Supp. Actress: Anne Hathaway, Les Misérables
Supp. Actor: Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln
Old 01-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayzlor View Post
"I didn't get it! I wasn't nominated!"

"I was beaten out by Fellini!"

That year: Altman, Fellini, Forman, Kubrick, Lumet

After the initial shock, I'm sure Spielbergo himself acknowledged the quality of that class of nominees.
1975 was one of those rare years where every film nominated in Best Picture would have been worthy winners. They're all classics.

Spielberg should have taken Fellini's spot though, even though Amarcord is great, but it had won the year before and this was back when the rules were different regarding Foreign Films competing in the main categories in different years.

Had Spielberg been nominated, I would say he would have been more deserving than Forman and Lumet, by not as deserving as Kubrick and Altman.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:05 PM
The irony is that the snubs are exactly the opposite. Spielberg was (rightly) snubbed as the new kind in favor of the grand masters who were both in the prime of their careers, and at the near-end of their prime. Bigelow/Affleck/Tarantino were (wrongly) snubbed in favor of the new kid.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:54 PM
The fact is, even with those two snubs, Spielberg has still been treated much better than most other directors. The man has two directing Oscars.

As for the 1985 year, between Kurosawa and Spielberg, the academy made the correct choice. Kurosawa should have taken the whole damn thing, but he was lucky to even be nominated.