Old 12-09-2012, 02:07 AM
When I say best, I'm actually referring to favorite, and I understand there is difference but I NEVER necessarily do a best list. It'll always be a favorite.

It might be unfair, but sometimes my opinion of the movie itself sometimes goes along with how I feel about a performance. I understand from a technical perspective Joaquin Phoenix's portrayal is flawless. He is able to completely disappear into his character. But the other performances moved me more or entertained more, even if they are not as deep.

Even so though, I would STILL rank Neeson and Grillo in The Grey a head of Phoenix because both of them are fantastic in the movie. The Grey will be on my top 10 as well.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:15 AM
Fair enough. If we're agreeing that "from a technical perspective Joaquin Phoenix's portrayal is flawless" then I cannot really complain about the way you choose to organize your lists. Still, given your criteria it's too bad you didn't throw in Mark Duplass since he rather steadfastly makes otherwise unwatchable indie films really compelling and entertaining.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:17 AM
I'll throw my list out there as well.

01. Marion Cotillard, Rust And Bone
02. Joaquin Phoenix, The Master
03. Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
04. John Hawkes, The Sessions
05. Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
06. Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
07. Matthias Schoenarts, Rust And Bone
08. Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook
09. James Gandolfini, Killing Them Softly
10. Jack Black, Bernie
Old 12-09-2012, 02:34 AM
Les Miserables isn't off to a great start.

Rotten Tomatoes - 68% with 19 reviews

Metacritic - 55% with 7 reviews

Now we knew this wasn't going to really be a critics favorite, but I expected it to start higher than this. We still have many reviews to go, but if the scores don't move up a whole lot from where they currently are, then I think the movie is in trouble for the win. The nomination should still be easy to get.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:45 AM
It's pretty clear that Zero Dark Thirty has emerged as the frontrunner right now.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:24 PM
For those of you on twitter, follow LA Film Critics. The voting is happening now and they are tweeting the results.

Amy Adams wins Supporting Actress over Hathaway!

Dwight Henry from Beasts of the Southern Wild gets Supporting Actor

The Master seems to be getting love in LA. Got Production Design, Runner up in Music, Adams...

But..it only gets runner up in Cinematography. Deakins for Skyfall wins that one. Don't agree with Tapley, should of been the other way around.

Nice to see The Master getting some love though. So curious about Best Actor now. Phoenix??!

Last edited by DaMovieMan; 12-09-2012 at 04:00 PM..
Old 12-09-2012, 04:05 PM
So far, so good. I haven't seen Beasts though, so I can't comment on Henry. I disagree with Tapley as well, but the cinematography in both of those films is impeccable, so I really don't care. I'm hoping they go with Phoenix, but I'm not counting on it.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Mums the word on LAFCA top choices, but 0D30 continues the plowing with top wins with Boston Film Critics and NY Online critics. It's really starting to look like an unstoppable force now.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
So far, so good. I haven't seen Beasts though, so I can't comment on Henry.
I'm curious to find out what you think of Beasts when you see it. It's been the critics' darling for pretty much the whole year, but I find it somewhat overrated with a protagonist that's a bit too unbelievable to believe. That said, Wallis and Henry (for people who've never acted before in their life) give super performances.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Phoenix gets it with LAFCA. And Lavant is runner up. As much as I loved DDL, those are some excellent picks right there
Old 12-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
Phoenix gets it with LAFCA. And Lavant is runner up.
Pleased with this. Still need to see Holy Motors though.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Jennifer Lawrence and Emmanuelle Riva tie for best actress. Bah, Riva should've won that alone.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:37 PM
I am a fan of both performances, so I'm happy to see them both win.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:40 PM
PTA for Best Director
Old 12-09-2012, 05:42 PM
LAFCA knows what's up.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:43 PM
I think There Will Be Blood dominated LA back in '07, right?
Old 12-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Yeah, Riva should have taken that all by herself. It's funny to see those two tied. Knight's tweet was awesome. When Lawrence was born, Riva was 63 years old.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:44 PM
You're right Lazy Boy, TWBB dominated over NCFOM back in '07.

The Master will most likely get BP, runner up either ZD30 or SLP. Should be Holy Motors.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Amour for BP? Get outta here.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Amour wins Best Picture!! Master is the runner up. WOW. So sick.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Whoa, what? Really? Wouldn't be my choice. At least they're thinking outside the box, so I can respect that...
Old 12-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
Whoa, what? Really? Wouldn't be my choice. At least they're thinking outside the box, so I can respect that...
Exactly. Amour is one of the best of the year, and in such a strong year, there's nothing wrong with giving it top prize. Love that choice.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Quote:
I agree. Wouldn't be my choice either, but at least they didn't go with something obvious.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:05 PM
I love how they are announcing Best Foreign Film AFTER Best Picutre with Amour's win haha. If anything else wins it, it would be hilarious and good proof that they're just picking these choices to stand out from the crowd.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:09 PM
OK, so they are just picking to be contrarians and thinkers outside the box, but they actually picked the best film of the year for their Best Foreign Film. LAFCA has just become my favorite awards body
Old 12-09-2012, 06:19 PM
@Michael_Haneke

"aparentlee i jst wons an Las Angelies critix award for best picture!!1!! @brettratner can u pick it up 4 me wen ur out of hooters lol"

Old 12-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Quote:
@Michael_Haneke

"aparentlee i jst wons an Las Angelies critix award for best picture!!1!! @brettratner can u pick it up 4 me wen ur out of hooters lol"

Hahaha, that's the best parody account on Twitter.

"playin ‘who has the most parms dorz’ with terruns malick gets so borin. im sick of winnin evrytime lol #teamhaneke"
Old 12-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Tweet of the day, surely
Old 12-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Zero Dark Thirty's now gotten an entire Charlie Rose episode for those who are interested.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:46 PM
^^

Saw that the other night. Good interview, but Charlie coaxes them into giving away a lot of plot/structural details.

Last edited by Bourne101; 12-09-2012 at 10:10 PM..
Old 12-09-2012, 11:25 PM
the person who did Amour is the same person who did funny games. most of us don't go to watch a movie like Amour because it gives us some sort of satisfaction. we go because it often helps us deal with traumatic events we're going through in our lives. I really think this filmmaker underestimates how film can be used therapeutically. this is the same reason horror movies make some of us feel better when we're depressed. he seems to want to punish us for trying to use film in the way it's meant to be used. that doesn't seem fair
Old 12-10-2012, 12:09 AM
To paraphrase the great philosophers Snoop and Clint Eastwood: Fair's got nothing to do with it.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:09 AM
The guy that made Amour is also the guy who made The White Ribbon, which was a masterpiece, imo.

I love that Hanake doesn't do what 99% of other filmmakers do, and they often do it poorly anyway.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
I love that Hanake doesn't do what 99% of other filmmakers do, and they often do it poorly anyway.
And for the first time ever, his film has a solid chance of getting nominated for Picture, and him for Director. He's the definition of arthouse filmmaking for me so to actually have one of his films be a serious contender, makes me very happy.

LAFCA rule
Old 12-10-2012, 02:59 PM
AFI's Top 10 of 2012:

"Argo"

"Beasts of the Southern Wild"

"The Dark Knight Rises"

"Django Unchained"

"Les Miserables"

"Life of Pi"

"Lincoln"

"Moonrise Kingdom"

"Silver Linings Playbook"

"Zero Dark Thirty"
Old 12-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
AFI's Top 10 of 2012:

"Argo"

"Beasts of the Southern Wild"

"The Dark Knight Rises"

"Django Unchained"

"Les Miserables"

"Life of Pi"

"Lincoln"

"Moonrise Kingdom"

"Silver Linings Playbook"

"Zero Dark Thirty"
Apart from the excellent inclusion of The Dark Knight Rises, an overwhelmingly predictable list

Last edited by DaMovieMan; 12-10-2012 at 04:02 PM..
Old 12-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
Apart from the excellent inclusion of The Dark Knight Rises, an overwhelmingly predictable list
Only American releases allowed, so nothing like Amour, Holy Motors, etc. was eligible. Would have liked to see The Master make the list.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:26 PM
The Master is the biggest snub but it would of been also pretty cool to see some smaller films just like Beasts make the cut. Middle of Nowhere, Perks of Being a Wallflower, Killing Them Softly, Brave, End of Watch, The Grey...

Pretty predictable, even without the foreign films.

Last edited by DaMovieMan; 12-10-2012 at 04:47 PM..
Old 12-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Boston Society of Film Critics

Best Picture - Zero Dark Thirty
Best Actor - Daniel Day-Lewis for Lincoln

Best Actress - Emmanuelle Riva for Amour

Best Supporting Actor - Ezra Miller for Perks of Being a Wallflower

Best Supporting Actress - Sally Field for Lincoln

Best Director - Kathryn Bigelow for Zero Dark Thirty

Best Screenplay - Tony Kushner for Lincoln

Best Cinematography - Mihai Malaimare Jr for The Master

Best Documentary - How to Survive a Plague

Best Foreign-Language Film - TBD

Best Animated Film - Frankenweenie

Best Film Editing (awarded in memory of Karen Schmeer) - William Goldenberg and Dylan Tichenor for Zero Dark Thirty

HUGE kudos for recognizing Ezra Miller in Perks. Definitely one my favorite (and most underrated) performances of the year.

WFCA

Best Film:
Zero Dark Thirty

Best Director:
Kathryn Bigelow (Zero Dark Thirty)

Best Actor:
Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln)

Best Actress:
Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty)

Best Supporting Actor:
Philip Seymour Hoffman (The Master)

Best Supporting Actress:
Anne Hathaway (Les Misérables)

Best Acting Ensemble:
Les Misérables

Best Adapted Screenplay:
David O. Russell (Silver Linings Playbook)

Best Original Screenplay:
Rian Johnson (Looper)

Best Animated Feature:
ParaNorman

Best Documentary:
Bully

Best Foreign Language Film:
Amour

Best Art Direction:
Uli Hanisch, Hugh Bateup - Production Designers; Peter Walpole, Rebecca Alleway - Set Decorators (Cloud Atlas)

Best Cinematography:
Claudio Miranda (Life of Pi)

Best Score:
Jonny Greenwood (The Master)

The Joe Barber Award for Best Youth Performance:
Quvenzhané Wallis (Beasts of the Southern Wild)

Best Supporting Actor is definitely a wildcard category this year...
Old 12-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmKing2000 View Post
Best Supporting Actor - Ezra Miller for Perks of Being a Wallflower

Best Supporting Actress - Sally Field for Lincoln
Very pleased to see Miller recognized. It's a very good performance. But then to follow it up with Sally Field? Huh?