Old 07-18-2012, 11:07 AM
2012 Mid West Drought

We are fucked! I just read a report and with the huge mid west drought going on we are fucked! Food prices are going to go up at least 10% across the board. Sadly, so much stuff need corn related products. Some are saying the recent increase in gas pricing is due to the increase in ethanol, which is made from corn. Not only is the economy going to suck until at least Nov, but pricing is going up, up, up.

Time to diet and get solar panels!

I would like to hear if you live in this area and how is it there? Comments?

Last edited by Erroneous; 07-18-2012 at 11:11 AM..
Old 07-18-2012, 05:34 PM
I just saw today on my way home from work that the highway signs now post warnings about tossing lit cigarettes out of your car...I don't remember drought conditions being this bad for a long time
Old 07-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beard_of_Meat View Post
I just saw today on my way home from work that the highway signs now post warnings about tossing lit cigarettes out of your car...I don't remember drought conditions being this bad for a long time
Beard of Meat - One of the most bizarre usernames I've ever seen online. Is that like another way of saying "double chin"? Because it's so huge, it's a "beard of meat"?

Or if not, what in the hell does your name mean? And why did you choose it? Just thought I'd ask!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:50 PM
To answer your question it is a quote from a cartoon...I found it funny

Last edited by Beard_of_Meat; 07-18-2012 at 06:00 PM..
Old 07-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beard_of_Meat View Post
To answer your question it is a quote from a cartoon...I found it funny
Oh.... Ok.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:12 PM
This is true, I moved to a neighborhood outside of Nashville 3 years ago from a northern suburb of Detroit. It started 3 weeks ago where we had temps that were over 106 everyday for 10 straight days. It was fuckin terrible,everyone prayed for rain. Only problem is, is that the ground was so dry that it pretty much turned to concrete. Week 2 brought on an onslaught of severe t-storms. A nice steady rain is what we needed for about 2 days,instead we ended up heavy downpours of 3 inches a hour. I was out on the middle of a storm propping my gutters up with 2x4's so they didnt fall off. The ground was to dry to soak up the water so it flooding like a bastard. Week three,this current week has brought temps in the mid 90's which is welcoming from the heat wave we had before but the only problem is the humidity is in the upper 70's and 80's. I dont have to tell anyone that its just awful being outside when its like that.

Gas has gone up,milk,dairy,produce, and sweet corn has become somewhat of a luxury,it still doesnt break the bank but its a helluva more expensive than it used to be.

If you dont have a newer ac unit youre fucked, i recently bought a house down here in march and my compressor unit went out during the heat wave. it took 2 days to get a new one (thank you $60 home warranty deductible) those 48 hours were among the worst ive ever endured
Old 07-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post

Time to diet and get solar panels!

We've looked into solar panels, for a 1500 sq ft home you're looking at about $20,000 in costs when its all said and done. The electric company down here will pay 4 cents per kilowatt hour generated. To anyone considering this make sure that you get the dual meter that shows how much you have used and another meter showing how much you have generated,as opposed to an offest meter tries to calcuate the difference. Oh yeah they're always way off not in your favor. 2016 is as long as you have right now to take advantage of the us governments tax credits and refunds regarding solar panels on your house. A friend i work with did it ansd he got a $ 7500 refrund from uncle sam
Old 07-18-2012, 09:45 PM
Oh so the Mid west is in drought
So what apart of America is the mid west Erroneous
i feel dumb asking this but l had to ask

Well in Australia only two years ago we came out of a 14yr drought and we had harsh water restrictions so l can tell you l know how those people would feel

Plus you are righ the prices do go up when there is a drought since you can grow certain things

We were at the stage where we had to get drought prrof trees because we could use much water our dams were down to 15 percent meaning we had two years water left in the dams
Old 07-18-2012, 10:01 PM
The drought has been terrible for my job. I read something a couple weeks ago about Michigan farmers lost $220 million in crops. Its been hard getting certain products for the restaurant. Michigan cherries were non-exisistent, tomatoes, green beans, and corn all came later then it should. The A/C at work broke a couple weeks ago and the kitchen was 120 degrees one day.

So yea, fuck this drought stuff.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Old 07-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBateman View Post
If you dont have a newer ac unit youre fucked, i recently bought a house down here in march and my compressor unit went out during the heat wave. it took 2 days to get a new one (thank you $60 home warranty deductible) those 48 hours were among the worst ive ever endured
Are you really thanking the $60 home war deduct or being sarcastic? Is the compressor the fan on the outside? I own a house, but I don't know that thing does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBateman View Post
We've looked into solar panels, for a 1500 sq ft home you're looking at about $20,000 in costs when its all said and done. The electric company down here will pay 4 cents per kilowatt hour generated. To anyone considering this make sure that you get the dual meter that shows how much you have used and another meter showing how much you have generated,as opposed to an offest meter tries to calcuate the difference. Oh yeah they're always way off not in your favor. 2016 is as long as you have right now to take advantage of the us governments tax credits and refunds regarding solar panels on your house. A friend i work with did it ansd he got a $ 7500 refrund from uncle sam
Good info. Do you know how long the batteries or whatever lasts? I am asking about replacement parts and ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Oh so the Mid west is in drought
So what apart of America is the mid west Erroneous
i feel dumb asking this but l had to ask
Easy answer is the middle of America. A bit harder, it is basically between the Rocky Mountains (Colorado) in the west, east to the appalachian mountains (Ohio)
Old 07-19-2012, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Are you really thanking the $60 home war deduct or being sarcastic? Is the compressor the fan on the outside? I own a house, but I don't know that thing does.

Good info. Do you know how long the batteries or whatever lasts? I am asking about replacement parts and ect.
No I'm was being serious,the condenser is the unit outside your home. All it cost me was $60 fo basically a whole new unit,so score!

I'm at work right now,ill post later regarding your other question
Old 07-19-2012, 06:17 PM
http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/19/12834892-gas-prices-may-go-up-too-because-of-drought?lite&__utma=14933801.1977892332.1342640546 .1342724127.1342739426.7&__utmb=14933801.2.10.1342 739426&__utmc=14933801&__utmx=-&__utmz=14933801.1342640546.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|ut mccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=14933801.|8=Ear ned%20By=msnbc%7Ccover=1^12=Landing%20Content=Mixe d=1^13=Landing%20Hostname=www.nbcnews.com=1^30=Vis it%20Type%20to%20Content=Earned%20to%20Mixed=1&__u tmk=142243506

Quote:
The slim silver lining to the global economic malaise has been low prices at the gas pump. That’s about to change.

Economists are already predicting price increases for staples like milk and beef as scorching heat and drought wreak havoc on America’s corn crop. Now, beleaguered consumers can add gasoline to that list.

“We’re pretty well hooked on ethanol,” said Bruce Babcock, professor of economics at Iowa State University. “It’s 10 percent of our gasoline supply.” The complexity of the market makes it hard to predict exactly what this will mean for drivers, but Babcock estimated the impact of ethanol, which is derived from corn, among other grains, could be as high as 15 cents a gallon.

A 46-cent per gallon subsidy to ethanol producers expired at the end of last year, which means the product is exposed to market gyrations. One-month corn futures already are trading at record highs, said Dan Flynn, an analyst at Price Futures Group. “We are definitely at all-time highs and right now, with the drought, there’s no end in sight. Expect higher prices at the pump.”

Babcock said a recent glut in ethanol production was one of the factors responsible for driving down the cost of gasoline at the wholesale level, where it is bought by refiners and mixed with ethanol. Since drivers today are used to falling gas prices, a sharp reversal could have a ripple effect across the economy, especially if the cost of food is climbing at the same time.

Related story: Worsening drought could persist through October

But that overproduction might give consumers a bit of breathing room, according to one economist. Nicholas Paulson, a professor in the University of Illinois' agriculture and consumer economics department, wrote a paper earlier this year that explored a type of credit called RINs.

RINs are associated with the Environmental Protection Agency's fuel mandate that energy companies get for using ethanol in their gasoline blends. These companies are required to earn a certain number of RINs based on the total amount of gas they produce, and if they have extra credits, they can stockpile them and apply some to the following year's requirement.

There are a lot of these "extra credit" RINs floating around now, according to Paulson's research. If the price of ethanol got prohibitively high, oil companies could elect to cash in these credits instead of paying a bundle for ethanol and then passing that cost along to drivers. "The current level of RIN stocks can serve to act as a buffer for the mandate should conditions arise which threaten the economic viability of conventional ethanol production or importing, and ethanol blending," he wrote.

The caveat is that energy companies weren't just saving those credits for a rainy day; they were hoarding them in advance of a change in EPA rules that would require more ethanol usage. Burning them now might be a less desirable option than just buying expensive ethanol and passing the cost onto consumers.

Up until now, "ethanol in 10 percent blends has been sold at the same price as gasoline," University of Illinois agriculture and consumer economics professor Darrel Good said via email. "If ethanol prices go above gasoline prices, then that will tend to raise prices at the pump."

SUCKS!!!!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Thankyou for telling me where the mid west is Erroneous