Old 07-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Mitt Romney Insults the British....in London

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ys-gaffes.html

Quote:
The Democratic National Committee released the video which is a compilation of Mr Romney's trip. One part of the video highlights a Telegraph Commentary, that said: "Mitt Romney is perhaps the only politician who could start a trip that was supposed to be a charm offensive by being utterly devoid of charm and mildly offensive."
As well as the media, David Cameron and Boris Johnson, Carl Lewis, the winner of nine Olympic gold medals, hit out at Mr Romney saying "seriously, some Americans just shouldn't leave the country".
Mr Romney's London trip has been filled with a series of missteps, starting with an NBC interview in which he questioned Britain's readiness to host the Olympics.
His comments drew a sharp rebuke from David Cameron. His performance was seriously criticised by the media and politicians alike.
Lewis, who is generally regarded as one of the greatest Olympians of all time - winning gold medals from 1984 to 1996, told The Independent newspaper as Michelle Obama arrived in London to lead the US delegation: "Every Olympics is ready, I don't care whatever he [Romney] said. I swear, sometimes I think some Americans shouldn't leave the country. Are you kidding me, stay home if you don't know what to say."

Ok, this bit of news is a couple of days old, but with Syria, the Aurora shooting, and the Olympics dominating the news I've fallen a little behind with the election. (In fact, I can't remember the last time I've been this zoned out during a presidential election.)

Look, stupid things are said by every candidate in every election. Obama has said some pretty head scratching things himself. However, this was a pretty simple task and Romney failed it miserably, with an air of douchey indifference. He probably won't lose votes for this, but he certainly won't gain any. It's like the purpose of the trip was to brag about how great the 2002 Winter Olympics were.

Well, Mitt, you've convinced us all that you're the greatest Olympic overseer ever. The British prime minister thinks you're a douchebag, but that's worth it, right?
Old 07-29-2012, 03:28 PM
I haven't been following any election/campaign coverage, other than the onslaught of anti-Romney tweets courtesy of Roger Ebert, but honestly, there really isn't a chance in hell that Romney wins, is there? Not only shouldn't he win, but the backlash against Obama isn't strong enough for people to sway to the other side and vote Romney.

Honestly, when the coverage consists of Republicans bashing Obama for bullying a girl in high school and Democrats bashing Romney for cutting a classmate's hair when he was 16, it's not worth watching.

Last edited by Bourne101; 07-29-2012 at 03:42 PM..
Old 07-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Agreed. Right now this is almost as dull and uninspiring as the 1996 election. However, I think it will get a lot more interesting once both parties have their conventions. I give Romney a good shot at winning because Republicans tend to get the biggest boost after the conventions and it's close enough as it is, but I think Obama will pull it out. I'll be surprised if it's as one-sided as 2008, though.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:52 PM
Nate Silver, who probably comes as close to having a crystal ball for these things as any human being ever has, puts the odds (for now) at two-thirds for Obama.

Anyhow, Mitt Romney seems unable to keep the silver foot out of his mouth. I wonder what a better candidate could have made of things.

Last edited by Gordon; 07-29-2012 at 08:59 PM..