Old 08-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Andy Garcia

Any Andy Garcia fans in here?

This guy used to be my favourite actor of all time. I mean he was Stone in the Untouchables. He was such a bad-ass in that. Then he went on to wow me in Internal Affairs and The Godfather Part 3.

But, then he kinda disappeared. I enjoyed him in Things to do in Denver When You're Dead, but he didn't seem to have an awful lot to do in the Ocean films.

I just feel he never really exploded like I expected him to.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Yeah, he definitely did under perform based on expectations. He was in Black Rain, the BEST cop flick ever IMO. So he's got that going for him. Plus, as you mentioned, The Untouchables and Things To Do....but he never REALLY blew up like everyone thought he would/should.

I seem to remember him doing a bunch of drama stuff after Untouchables/Black Rain. He should have just went on and done more gangster cop stuff and he probably would have blown up. It seems like he tried to be a leading drama guy, like he didn't want to be typecast as the cop or gangster guy and I think it hurt him. He ended up being a career second fiddle when he could have been one of the top dogs.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel1980 View Post
I just feel he never really exploded like I expected him to.
I've long felt the same way. He was especially amazing in the terribly underappreciated Internal Affairs.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:24 PM
He was great in The Godfather Part III, The Untouchables, and the Ocean trilogy. He's definitely an underrated actor who doesn't get enough credit.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Sort of combining this post with the trilogies thread but see there are some merits to Godfather III that doesn't make it terrible. I just think there's such a wide gap between the qualities of the first 2 Godfathers that makes Part 3 seem bad by comparison but alone by itself standing alone its very good. I mean come on that helicopter scene was awesome!
Old 08-02-2012, 10:07 PM
He's terrific in City Island and The Man From Elysian Fields.

You guys make it seem like he's failed because he isn't as popular as he used to be. Most actors who are serious about their craft would probably prefer the smaller films because the roles are better and the scripts are better. He's just one of many actors that are doing more low profile stuff lately, which is cool by me.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
Sort of combining this post with the trilogies thread but see there are some merits to Godfather III that doesn't make it terrible. I just think there's such a wide gap between the qualities of the first 2 Godfathers that makes Part 3 seem bad by comparison but alone by itself standing alone its very good. I mean come on that helicopter scene was awesome!
He was pretty much the only good thing about The Godfather 3. Every scene he was in was electric. But....Sofia Coppola! And who was the dude that was supposed to be Robert Duvall's replacement?!
Old 08-03-2012, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel1980 View Post
He was pretty much the only good thing about The Godfather 3. Every scene he was in was electric. But....Sofia Coppola! And who was the dude that was supposed to be Robert Duvall's replacement?!
Agree on those flaws and I don't think anyone would disagree with that. I'm not going overboard to defend it because it is inferior to the first two but again standing alone its still pretty good, if 1 & 2 were never made it probably wouldn't be looked down upon as much.
"Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in." - classic line
The helicopter attack scene was great.
The production value was pretty solid and it kept the same authentic look as the first two.
There was a number of memorable shots in it.
It was far from an embarrassment as a film, arguably an embarrassment to the saga but they were astronomical expectations to begin with.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:20 AM
I'm not gay, but if I had to say a guy was sexy, it would be 80s-90s Andy Garcia. Him or Idris Elba.

No homo.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:56 PM
I like him as an actor, but it is really astonishing how consistently bad his movies perform when he is the leading man. He has no problem cranking out a hit as a co-star, and everyone seems to like him, but the moment you make him the star of the show...

I made this joke in the For Greater Glory thread, so it probably went unnoticed by most: Andy Garcia isn't just box office poison, he's box office genocide.