Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > The TV Forum
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 11:07 PM
So I'm the only one who actually liked The New Normal? It's not great by any means, but it's amusing and the 4 leads are very likeable.

Still need to catch Go On and The Mob Doctor as well as the second episode of New Normal.

So far my list:

New Shows:

Revolution: A-
Last Resort: A-
The New Normal: B
Vegas: C+

Returning shows:

Person of Interest: A-
Hawaii Five-O: B
Bones: B

Last edited by ilovemovies; 09-28-2012 at 04:08 AM..
Old 09-19-2012, 01:25 AM
I always feel bad for you Movies! You invest good time into a lot of these shows and then they don't make it!

Hopefully this season you have a better average! (Although, from the sounds of it, I'd steer clear of Mob Doctor, it had terrible first week numbers, and they generally go down from there)
Old 09-19-2012, 01:38 AM
I know it's inevitable that some shows I watch will be canceled. I'm OKAY with that. It's just part of the business. I'm not going to let that stop me from giving shows a try. So I will give The Mob Doctor a try even though I know it's probably going to be one of the early casualties of the season.

I'm happy about Revolution doing well since I loved the pilot. I'm still worried though because shows like that tend to do alright in the beginning only to be canceled at the end of it's first season. I hope that fate doesn't befall either Revolution or Last Resort as I find both shows to be awesome.

I don't really care about sitcoms though. Most of them, even those I enjoy, I wouldn't really miss if they were canceled. The exception being Parks and Recreation. Love that show.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
I always feel bad for you Movies! You invest good time into a lot of these shows and then they don't make it!

Hopefully this season you have a better average! (Although, from the sounds of it, I'd steer clear of Mob Doctor, it had terrible first week numbers, and they generally go down from there)
It's kind of a tricky situation. If everyone has the notion that they'll only watch/invest time in a show after they know it will be around for a while, that could seriously diminish the ratings and thus it would end up not being around for a while in the first place. It's a self fulfilling prophecy. I'm not saying that you should invest the time, I'm just saying that many people (myself included) like to give new shows a chance and if I like it and it sticks around... great, and if not how much time have I really wasted? If I enjoyed it while watching it, it's not really wasted time. If I don't like it I'm not going to keep watching it.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:36 PM
ya, it is a bit of a Catch 22 situation!

But certain shows I will watch from the get go, this season the only one im def watching from week 1 is Elementary. And I should say, I only include this for hour long shows, not so much sit coms, because a sitcom i can watch from the get go and if it fails, I dont really feel like I missed out on an entire story line.

But i can understand watching a show til it is cancelled.. I watched Eli Stone and The Defenders until they were cancelled, and I loved both shows so very much, was super bummed they were cancelled.

But shows like The Event or whatever the other show was that was exactly like that... I watched those shows from the start and quit watching them after like 10 eps. The shows just got tedious.

Shows like that and the other high concept shows, would work so great as Mini Series... 2 or 3 seasons of 10-12 episodes a season. The problem with these shows having to fill 22-24 episodes a season is that you get too many episodes with pure fluff and nothing that moves the story forward, and it gets very boring.

I can see that happening with this new show Revolution, but we shall see... if that show makes it to a second season, I may give it a shot.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Partners: When you sit down to watch a CBS laugh track sitcom you have a pretty good idea what you're going to get. They are pretty much the only network at this point producing sitcoms that could be called old fashioned. Even further, the show is created by David Kohan and Max Mutchnick, who had great success with Will & Grace in the late 90s to early 00s. This is all clear in watching the pilot. It's traditional and old fashioned, with obvious jokes and bad puns. It's also kind of sweet and has a very talented cast, particularly Michael Urie who is a genius. The whole show also feels exceedingly Jewish, which is more than okay with me. I wouldn't call it good, necessarily, or progressive, or ground breaking, though. It feels like something straight out of 1996. Michael Urie really is great, but this show is really bad.

The Mindy Project: This is a show I'm really rooting for, but the pilot is very muddled. Mindy is a phenomenal talent and she's surrounded herself with a solid ensemble, but these 22 minutes try to do way too much. I have a feeling this will become a very enjoyable show in a few weeks as all of the pieces are in place, but this isn't the best start. Part of the problem is that this pilot couldn't decide if it wanted to be a workplace comedy or a romantic comedy or something a little edgier. The good news is that it's self aware and Mindy and Chris Messina (what a steal to get him on a weekly series) are terrific. I'm on board.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
The Mindy Project: This is a show I'm really rooting for, but the pilot is very muddled. Mindy is a phenomenal talent and she's surrounded herself with a solid ensemble, but these 22 minutes try to do way too much. I have a feeling this will become a very enjoyable show in a few weeks as all of the pieces are in place, but this isn't the best start. Part of the problem is that this pilot couldn't decide if it wanted to be a workplace comedy or a romantic comedy or something a little edgier. The good news is that it's self aware and Mindy and Chris Messina (what a steal to get him on a weekly series) are terrific. I'm on board.
same ... caught the second half of tonight's episode by luck.

Wasn't drawn to the show when i first heard of it but found it funny.

I think the new 2012 shows offering is slim. Probably because i'm just too caught in older shows ( new Dexter in 5 days !! ).

The only new show i'm looking forward is 666 Park Avenue
Old 09-26-2012, 12:18 AM
Ben & Kate - This is the best comedy pilot of the fall. The cast has terrific chemistry, and the tone is already quite assured. It feels smart, genuine, and best of all very funny. This could be a great hang out show. Nat Faxon is top notch and I think a new comedy star.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:40 AM
Vegas: I really wanted to like this more than I did, mostly for the cast. And although the cast is quite good, Dennis Quaid in particular, I just found the show too much like your run in the mill procedural. It was kind of dull. I'll give the show a few more chances with the hopes that it gets better, but so far this is the most disappointing show of the season thus far.

6/10
Old 09-26-2012, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Vegas: I really wanted to like this more than I did, mostly for the cast. And although the cast is quite good, Dennis Quaid in particular, I just found the show too much like your run in the mill procedural. It was kind of dull. I'll give the show a few more chances with the hopes that it gets better, but so far this is the most disappointing show of the season thus far.

6/10
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm iffy on whether I'm going to check it out or not. I may wait a few weeks and see what the word is at that point.

In other news, I liked the second episode of Revolution quite a bit more than the first. It was fun, well structured, and had both an exciting minor plot contained to the one episode and advanced the bigger picture in a fun way. The action sequences are pretty well done. Billy Burke is awesome.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:25 PM
I have to disagree (respectfully of course) with your assessment of ben and Kate.

I did not like it, i thought the comedy was very eh. The end of the show was ok, with that bit of heart.. but they stole some bits from movies (The pulling your shirt up and your bra is revealed is right out of Mean Girls)

I wont be sticking with it, but I hope it sticks around for you Spike.

Mindy Project was ok, i thought some of the comedy was funny and it has potential.

Still the best new show of the season is Go On, I just really love this show, hope it doesnt get cancelled!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:24 PM
Quote:
I have to disagree (respectfully of course) with your assessment of ben and Kate.

I did not like it, i thought the comedy was very eh. The end of the show was ok, with that bit of heart.. but they stole some bits from movies (The pulling your shirt up and your bra is revealed is right out of Mean Girls)

I wont be sticking with it, but I hope it sticks around for you Spike.

Mindy Project was ok, i thought some of the comedy was funny and it has potential.

Still the best new show of the season is Go On, I just really love this show, hope it doesnt get cancelled!
Fair enough. I wouldn't say Ben & Kate is great, but this has been a bad year for comedy pilots thus far. I do think some have potential though (Mindy Project and Go On). I don't see Go On going anywhere anytime soon. It's doing well for NBC and it could evolve into a very good show if they stick with it.

I think The Neighbors, Guys With Kids, Partners, and The Mob Doctor will all be cancelled within a few weeks, with Made in Jersey not too far behind.

Elementary will probably be the biggest new show of the season.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:23 PM
The Mob Doctor is OKAY but I won't miss it when it gets inevitably canceled.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Last Resort - Easily my favorite pilot of the fall thus far, and I could see it staying that way as more shows debut over the coming weeks. Intense, fairly smart, and very well composed. I'm a big fan of Shawn Ryan and know what he is capable of, and coupling with director Martin Campbell this is a very promising start. The cast, especially Andre Braugher, is terrific. I imagine the production value will diminish a bit in the coming weeks as pilots always have much larger budgets, but if the writing and stakes remain high then I have no doubt this will be a good series. What I love, too, is that there's no clear formula or set goals yet. This won't be like any other show. It will form its own path, and that's very exciting. I'm putting a lot of stock in this one, and I hope the ratings are good enough to allow for many episodes to come.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Revolution, The New Normal & Go On have all been given Full Season Pick Ups

I only watch Go On, so I'm happy about that. The New Normal looks painfully terrible and I heard Revolution was kind of dull.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Happy to hear about Revolution. It's not exactly top tier television, but so far it's been an immensely enjoyable show.

I've only seen the first episode of The New Normal and I liked it, surprisingly. So I'll definitely have to catch up on that one.

Hopefully now Last Resort will get a full season pickup. Though I don't know how it did in the ratings last Thursday.

Looking forward for the premiere of Arrow tomorrow now (along with the season premiere of Supernatural).
Old 10-03-2012, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Hopefully now Last Resort will get a full season pickup. Though I don't know how it did in the ratings last Thursday.
Last Resort had a low end start, not doing too well in the 18-49 demographic. I think as long as the ratings dont dip too far you can expect a full season pick up, but a second season is in jeopardy.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:56 AM
Community and whitney have been bumped from their original start dates of October 19, NBC said that they want to focus more marketing on their beginning of the week programs (Mon Through Wed) and thus have no time to market these shows, but they have them in their back pockets for whenever they may need them. I.E: When a new show is cancelled, they will put one of these shows on its place.

NBC continues to be the worst run network on television!
Old 10-09-2012, 12:46 PM
The Mindy Project & Ben and Kate have both been given Full Season Pick Ups.

Mindy Project had some laughs the ifrst episode, but i decided not to stick with it, Ben & Kate I didnt like the premiere episode and thus didnt continue watching it.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Made In Jersey becomes the first casualty of the season as it was Cancelled.

Never saw it, know nothing about it!
Old 10-15-2012, 01:04 AM
Dane Cook's midseason show has been cancelled by NBC even before it aired!
Old 10-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Animal Practice was cancelled today.

Sadly I've already stopped watching Last Resort. Episodes 2 and 3 were silly and bloated and didn't deliver on the promise of the pilot. The #s have also been bad and I'm afraid it will be cancelled soon. Perhaps if it makes it past the new year I'll pick it back up again.

I actually enjoyed episode 2 of Arrow. It's a CW show, but it's fun and confident in what it is. Works for me.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:32 AM
they replaced Animal Practice with Whitney... hopefully Whitney will be cancelled and Community comes back!
Old 10-21-2012, 12:03 AM
This will be Private Practice' Final Season
Old 10-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Vegas & Elementary have been given Full Season Pick ups.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:53 PM
in a weird move Up All Night has been given an extra 3 episode order from NBC, what's weird is that, NBC has decided to change the format of the show from a Single Camera Comedy to a more traditional Sitcom Multi Camera (Filmed in front of a Live STudio Audience) show.

The multi Camera version will premiere in April
Old 11-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Vegas & Elementary have been given Full Season Pick ups.
I'm happy about Elementary. I've become quite attached to the show. I can usually take or leave procedurals, but I'm getting a genuine kick out of Johnny Lee Miller's take on Sherlock. He's some kind of manic genius.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:29 PM

American Horror Story series 3 confirmed!
Old 11-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Last Resort & 666 Park Avenue have both been Canceled

they will finish their 13 episodes and be done.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:17 PM
God damn it. I like Last Resort.

TV doesn't deserve Shawn Ryan.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Community comes back!
Did they hire Dan Harmon back and give it a full season order? No?

Well then Community isn't coming back. Ever.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:15 AM
If there is good news to be had for the cancellation of Park Avenue, it's that Terry O'Quinn is freed up now to go back to Hawaii Five-O AND also join Person of Interest for a John Locke/Ben Linus Lost reunion.

As for Last Resort, I've only seen the pilot and liked it a lot. Was gonna catch up on the show, but due to this unfortunate news, I'm not so sure I'll even bother.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Partners: Canceled!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Quote:
If there is good news to be had for the cancellation of Park Avenue, it's that Terry O'Quinn is freed up now to go back to Hawaii Five-O AND also join Person of Interest for a John Locke/Ben Linus Lost reunion.
There's a lostie reunited this season. Bring Hugo, Desmond, Sayid,, Jack and Sawyer!
Old 11-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Matthew Fox said he's done with television. So don't expect him to do anything. I don't know if that includes a guest appearance or not though.

There was a Lost reunion on Hawaii Five-O since Daniel Dae Kim is one of the stars on that show, and Terry O'Quinn had a recurring role on that show.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Emily Ownes M.D and The Mob Doctor have been Canceled

they will finish their 13 episode runs, and that will be it
Old 11-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Considering the ratings, I'm surprised it took FOX this long to officially cancel The Mob Doctor.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Don't Trust The Bitch in Apartment 23 has been pulled from the schedule and is effectively Canceled
Old 01-23-2013, 05:28 PM
add BEN & KATE to the list of shows that are basically Canceled... fox has pulled it from the schedule
Old 01-23-2013, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Don't Trust The Bitch in Apartment 23 has been pulled from the schedule and is effectively Canceled
sad day for good comedy.