Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Celeb Talk/Gossip
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Bob Hoskins To Retire From Acting After Being Diagnosed With Parkinson's

This is so sad. He was so underappreciated and deserved more great roles.

Thanks for all the great work you've done all these years Bob. I wish you and your family well.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,0,86488.story

Quote:
Bob Hoskins, the "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" actor seen most recently in "Snow White and the Huntsman," has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and will retire from acting, it was announced Wednesday.

The 69-year-old father of four made the decision "following his diagnosis of Parkinson's disease last autumn," read a statement from his agent obtained by Movies Now. "He wishes to thank all the great and brilliant people he has worked with over the years, and all of his fans who have supported him during a wonderful career.

"Bob is now looking forward to his retirement with his family, and would greatly appreciate that his privacy be respected at this time."

Hoskins, who turns 70 in October, has more than 100 movies, TV movies and TV series to his name, according to IMDb, and was Oscar-nominated for his lead role in "Mona Lisa."
Old 08-08-2012, 07:13 PM
I was never a huge fan but he is a true talent and I have never heard a negative thing about him. Such a shame.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Retire? I thought he was retired. Sad though why he had to retire. I hope be enjoyed his life.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMaster View Post
I was never a huge fan but he is a true talent and I have never heard a negative thing about him. Such a shame.
I agree with this. Whatta rotten shame.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:20 AM
I always liked Hoskins as a heavy or even the helpful side kick (Shattered)
sad to see him retire but you do what you must in this life.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:19 AM
If you haven't seen it yet check out The Long Good Friday with him in the starring role. He was totally BOSS in that film.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:38 AM
I absolutely love Who Framed Roger Rabbit, one of my all time favorites. Very sad news, indeed.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Definitely in my top ten of actors.

He should've won the Oscar for Mona Lisa. Wrong, wrong decision that year.

Pauline Kael's ML review really sums up Hoskins in one great sentence:

Quote:
The friend sitting next to me summed him up: "He's like a testicle on legs."
Old 08-09-2012, 01:46 PM
A great actor, in my opinion.
Sad to hear this news.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectRatio1986 View Post
I absolutely love Who Framed Roger Rabbit, one of my all time favorites. Very sad news, indeed.
He was flat out awesome in Roger Rabbit.

This is just too bad and I wish him all the best.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Shit, well, he's done more than contribute his part to modern cinema, let him retire in peace!
Old 08-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post

Pauline Kael's ML review really sums up Hoskins in one great sentence:
That's an awesome quote. I'll never forget how unsettling he was in Felicia's Journey. It's still one of the creepiest performances I've ever seen.

You know, ever since Nolan rebooted Batman, I kinda hoped Hoskins would have a cameo as the Penguin.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Quote:
I totally agree. Paul Newman's win for THE COLOR OF MONEY was a sympathy vote/lifetime achievement award (Newman should have won for HUD, THE HUSTLER, THE VERDICT or any other prior nomination instead!). I also loved Hoskins in THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY and ROGER RABBIT! A truly underrated talent!
Old 08-10-2012, 09:08 PM
It is sad that he has decided to stop acting

I kow when Michael J Fox was diagnosed with parkersons he continued to work and still gets certion acting jobs

But he is on tablets to control alot of the effects of parkersons
Old 08-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio141 View Post
I totally agree. Paul Newman's win for THE COLOR OF MONEY was a sympathy vote/lifetime achievement award (Newman should have won for HUD, THE HUSTLER, THE VERDICT or any other prior nomination instead!).
I'll third this.

He pretty much won every award there was for Mona Lisa, except the Oscar.

First he won the Cannes Best Actor prize, then swept the critics awards, then won the Golden Globe. It should have been a slam dunk for him. Damn the Academy and their make-up wins.

He also deserved a nomination for Who Framed Roger Rabbit. He's the biggest reason the movie works.

Edit: Sort of off topic, but I was looking over the Best Actor race for that year and Woody Allen isn't there for Hannah And Her Sisters. I thought for sure he got nominated for that.

Last edited by Matchbox225; 08-10-2012 at 09:50 PM..
Old 08-10-2012, 10:39 PM
He was such a great, badass villain in Unleashed. Not to mention how awesome he was Smee in Steven Spielberg's Hook and as Mario in Super Mario Bros!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:59 PM
Best film he was in was in Brazil albeit a small role.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B61_5sRoBI
Old 08-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Just hearing this got me watching Long Good Friday.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Sad news. But at least he's only, presumably, experiencing the early stages of it right now and was able to experience a long career. Michael J. Fox wasn't so lucky.

I'm going to say what others don't feel and what others are afraid to admit. Instead of mentioning the bigger movies of his, I will comment on "Super Mario Bros." It isn't that bad, and not bad at all really. And part of the reason is Bob Hoskins' portrayal of Mario. He was the perfect actor to play him and his presence helps make it watchable. The movie is not a perfect translation from the video game and wasn't supposed to be. What movie could? Mario jumping ten feet in the air, eating mushrooms, and growing twice his size? No movie adaptation could do that and I wish fans would realize this when they tear it apart.

Anyway, with a lesser actor as Mario, it could be bigger joke than it is considered today, and Hoskins plays a big part in making it an entertaining movie. So did John Leguizamo and Dennis Hopper. Thank you, Bob, for "Super Mario Bros.," "Hook," "Unleashed," and "Who Framed Roger Rabit?," among other movies I cannot recall at the moment.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:27 PM
A great and underrated actor. He was great in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Hook and Danny the Dog, among others.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIrqJU0pjPs

The Newman Win/Absentee Vote in 1987 (for '86)...Hoskins was gracious but I think he was still holding out hope!

Last edited by Antonio141; 08-11-2012 at 09:38 PM..
Old 08-12-2012, 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop No. 633 View Post
That's an awesome quote. I'll never forget how unsettling he was in Felicia's Journey. It's still one of the creepiest performances I've ever seen.

You know, ever since Nolan rebooted Batman, I kinda hoped Hoskins would have a cameo as the Penguin.
Felicia's Journey is one of his most overlooked movies and performances. He was fabulous in Mona Lisa and The Long Good Friday.

We mustn't forget his work in Pennie From Heaven either.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Pennie from Heaven you say? I have to check that one out.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop No. 633 View Post
Pennie from Heaven you say? I have to check that one out.
It was a 70's TV series written by Dennis Potter, later made into the movie with Steve Martin. I like both but the TV series was definitely darker and a little more surreal.