Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Celeb Talk/Gossip
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Director Of Wiily Wonker And The Chocolate Factory dies Of cancer

http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/-/w...ly-wonka-dies/

This is sad but at least Mel Stawart lived to the ripe old age of 83

Geez l never knew that his daughter starred in a camero role in Willy wonka

Plus the movie was at fisrt a book before it went to film and he only did this because his daughter because she loved the childrens book









Last edited by Bondgirl; 08-10-2012 at 11:24 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-12-2012, 03:06 PM
RIP
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Hahahaha "Willy Wonker" rofl

Dude, that's fuckin' hilarious.


Too bad the director died, but I mean "Willy Wonker". lmao
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-12-2012, 04:55 PM
That's a shame. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is a favorite of mine.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Plus the movie was at fisrt a book before it went to film and he only did this because his daughter because she loved the childrens book
You didn't know the movie(s) was based on a book? Hmmm . . . you should read it; it's a good book. As is the sequel. Here's another tidbit: the author of the book hated the Gene Wilder movie.

Last edited by bigred760; 08-12-2012 at 09:51 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-12-2012, 09:50 PM
I LoL'd at "Willy Wonker" as well.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Geez at least l knew of the movie grins

I feel as though they wrecked Willy Wonka the second time around when Johnny Depp starred in it

I prefered Gene Wilder acting and how he came across in it

I do think they should have stuck to the original

Well if they have it at the local library l will try and borrow it and have a read of it
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-12-2012, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Geez at least l knew of the movie grins

I feel as though they wrecked Willy Wonka the second time around when Johnny Depp starred in it

I do think they should have stuck to the original

Well if they have it at the local library l will try and borrow it and have a read of it
Actually the Johnny Depp one is more the like the book than the first one.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
Actually the Johnny Depp one is more the like the book than the first one.
First one's a classic though. I don't like how Hollywood tries to fix shit that ain't broke. (IE. remakes/reboots, etc.)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-13-2012, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
Actually the Johnny Depp one is more the like the book than the first one.
Very true, but it was a pretty bad movie.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-13-2012, 10:41 AM
This is my favourite non-A Nightmare On Elm Street film of all time. The book is entertaining as well, but the film surpasses it in every darn way. The Tim Burton movie is terrible. Sure, it sticks a little closer to the book, but the entire tone was changed. Case in point: compare Wilder's witticisms with Johnny Depp's hushed voice and "I don't lyke you." Christ.

Anyways, I'm really sad to hear about the director's passing, as he has affected my life in a huge way for someone whose name I had never known until now.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-13-2012, 10:47 AM
With all due respect to the departed, am I the only one who thought a porn director died?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
I LoL'd at "Willy Wonker" as well.
Same here




I actually just saw Mel Stawart on an episode of Hollywood Treasure that I watched on Netflix about a month ago and he looked pretty good for his age..Then again I don't know how old the episode is and the cancer could have hit him pretty quick..sad news

Last edited by Beard_of_Meat; 08-14-2012 at 06:06 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Even if there are people who think Burton's was a better film, I don't know how you can honestly say Depp's Wonka is better than Wilder's.

Wilder owns that role. It's one of the all time great performances not nominated for an Oscar.

I also happen to love the film, so the director's passing is sad for me.

RIP
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
Actually the Johnny Depp one is more the like the book than the first one.
Well if it is like the book l am very surprised as when Johnny Depp pretrayed the willy wonker character he came across quite scary l would find that if young children went to see the second one they would be likely to be scared of his pretrayal

With Gene Wilders character he was not like that at all

But like you said l will have to read the book to see what l think of the main charater

I feel these days that when certain rolles are played in a childrens movie they are more scarier these days
Where they should get back to a more sweeter verstion than scaring the living day lights out of children
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
First one's a classic though. I don't like how Hollywood tries to fix shit that ain't broke. (IE. remakes/reboots, etc.)
Thats how l feel too

it would be nice for directors and producers to think of new ideas instead of going backwards in time

What is wrong with Hollywood cant they think of new ideas as they did a few years back
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
With all due respect to the departed, am I the only one who thought a porn director died?
Yes you are right

RIP Mel Stewart

But it is nice to discuss other areas of his life and how he made the original version Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory

I know we have brought Gene Wiler and Johnny Depp into the discussion but all have been associated with starring and the making of the movie plus talking about the book which the idea of the movie came from has also been interesting
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Well if it is like the book l am very surprised as when Johnny Depp pretrayed the willy wonker character he came across quite scary l would find that if young children went to see the second one they would be likely to be scared of his pretrayal

With Gene Wilders character he was not like that at all

But like you said l will have to read the book to see what l think of the main charater

I feel these days that when certain rolles are played in a childrens movie they are more scarier these days
Where they should get back to a more sweeter verstion than scaring the living day lights out of children
I don't know about scary, but he's portrayed as odd in the book - which Johnny Depp certainly was. Gene Wilder doesn't come across as odd in WW . . . he's more of a recluse. I enjoy both, but I prefer the Depp version because I thought the characters were fleshed out more and the message was delivered much better.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump