Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Actors/actresses you had a feeling would be big before they actually were

Off the top of my head:

Brad Pitt
Leonardo DiCaprio
Ewan McGregor
Zooey Deschanel
Amy Adams
Elizabeth Banks
Old 07-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Good thread.

Emma Stone
Joseph Gordon-Levitt (along with everybody else but still)
Owen Wilson
Jason Schwartzman
Jeremy Renner
Michael Fassbender
Tom Hardy
Old 07-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Mila Kunis
Melissa McCarthy
Woody Harrelson (one of my favorite characters from Cheers)
Rachel McAdams
Old 07-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Joseph Gordon-Levitt comes to mind.

Oh, and Val Kilmer. He's gotten pretty big over the years.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:00 AM
Sienna Miller

I heart her in the short lived FOX series Keen Eddie. It's unfortunate though that she became famous for being with Jude Law than her talents since she is very talented.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:23 AM
The two I had gut feeling about:

James Franco
Andrew Garfield
Old 07-26-2012, 02:16 AM
Ryan Phillipe
Barry Pepper (not really that big)
Jeremy Renner
Old 07-26-2012, 02:27 AM
I'm confused on the meaning of "big" here. Do you mean just popularity or being in demand or something else?
Old 07-26-2012, 06:26 AM
Colin Farrell

First saw him in Tigerland back in 2000 and I said to myself, this guy is gonna be a star.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
I'm confused on the meaning of "big" here. Do you mean just popularity or being in demand or something else?
Either/or, pretty much (ex: when I first saw "Almost Famous," I just had a feeling we'd be seeing a lot more of Zooey Deschanel in the future -- and we have). I did NOT, however, mean it in the way magjournal did in his wisecrack about Val Kilmer (which I figured someone would do).

A few more I forgot in my inital post:

Paul Giamatti
January Jones
Emily Blunt
Old 07-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Andrew Garfield - seeing him in "Boy A", there was already a lot of promise.
Colin Farrell - seeing him in "The War Zone"
Scarlett Johannsen - In "Ghost World" she wasn't yet sexualized, but already showing talent.
Ellen Page - "Hard Candy" remains her best performance, far more powerful than "Juno" imo.

Those were people i definitely noticed and told people to "watch for".

On the other hand, I've had some misses as well.

Alyson Barry - she played the daughter in "Ondine" and i thought she was absolutely brilliant, yet I check IMDB and it remains her only role.

Jessica Chastain - i saw The Debt about a year before release and before Tree of Life or any of other stuff she was in last year. I saw it and i thought "meh" of her performance. Didn't even bother to remember her name.

Charlize Theron - a few of my friends were all over me to see 2 Days in the Valley and i did and i didn't think that Theron was anything more than the next bimbo.

Hindsight's 20/20
Old 07-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Scarlett Johansson was excellent in and gave a star making performance in Robert Redford's The Horse Whisperer. A movie I really love as well.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Colin Farrell comes to my mind. All of a sudden he was in like everything!
Old 07-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Jeremy Renner is the big one for me:

I have loved the movie Senior Trip since I saw it so many years ago, I own the DVD and watch it semi regularly. And every time I saw Renner in a movie after that I was always happy (especially SWAT). I'm glad to see him pushed to the upper echelon now.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:18 PM
James Spader, when I saw him in The New Kids.

Most of the people I tag with this label end up on our "People Who Should've Been Big But Weren't" lists.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Jane Lynch comes to mind for me. She stole The 40 Year Old Virgin and Best In Show and it wasn't until Glee that she hit her peak in popularity.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:30 PM
Dane Cook,
Joseph Gordon-Levitt,
Ellen Page,
Collin Farrell
Old 07-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Tom Green
Pauly Shore
Nick Swardson
Heather O'Rourke
Old 07-28-2012, 06:03 AM
Jessica Simpson
Old 07-28-2012, 01:12 PM
Leonardo DiCaprio - I know I'm not the only Growing Pains fan here.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Idris Elba

May not be a megastar yet, exactly, but compared to just a few years ago when only a select few who'd had the honor of seeing The Wire knew who he even was, his career stock has gone up considerably. And I don't see it stopping; the guy's both a fantastic actor and someone who has the star quality to be one of the leading actors of his generation.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syxxpac View Post
Idris Elba

May not be a megastar yet, exactly, but compared to just a few years ago when only a select few who'd had the honor of seeing The Wire knew who he even was, his career stock has gone up considerably. And I don't see it stopping; the guy's both a fantastic actor and someone who has the star quality to be one of the leading actors of his generation.
Totally. Elba was so good in his small role on The Office. I hated his character so much and now he's really starting to take off. He needs to have a really good leading role to really make his mark.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Emma Stone

Jeremy Renner

Christian Bale - The first movie I ever saw him in was Shaft. No joke. Not even a great performance, but I just had that feeling.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:34 AM
from TDK triolgy joker is the best
Old 07-29-2012, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
I'll admit I never saw little Tommy Solomon ever getting this big; I thought, if anything, he'd end up with a Rob Lowe-sized career. Glad I was wrong.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:10 AM
I had a good feeling about Daniel Craig circa Layer Cake.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syxxpac View Post
Idris Elba

Agreed.

I rarely have any keen insights on these things. I mean, normally it's obvious to any one when someone is going to be a star. Who watched The Professional and didn't think Portman would blow up?

But I saw Elba in The Wire and knew he was going to be huge. Again, most people who saw it probably would've thought the same thing, but in this case, so few people actually watched The Wire when it was on television. He had the talent, the screen presence, the looks... it was obvious.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:30 PM
I thought Freddy Rodriguez was gonna get bigger in action films after seeing him in GRINDHOUSE: PLANET TERROR

I was sadly wrong
Old 08-16-2012, 11:55 PM
Viggo Mortensen is another one.

The first movies I ever saw with him were Young Guns II and TCM III. Not great parts, but sometimes you get that vibe that there is something more than what you're seeing.