Old 08-20-2012, 12:01 AM
RIP Tony Scott

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...,6600078.story
Quote:
'Top Gun' Director Tony Scott Jumps to Death in San Pedro

SAN PEDRO, Calif. (KTLA) -- British film director Tony Scott jumped to his death to his death Sunday afternoon from the Vincent Thomas Bridge in San Pedro, The Daily Breeze reported. .

The director climbed a fence on the south side of the bridge's apex and jumped off without hesitation about 12:30 p.m., the Breeze reported. He reportedly left a suicide note inside his black Toyota Prius, which was parked in the bridge's eastbound lanes.

Officers from the LAPD, the CHP and the U.S. Coast Guard worked together to pull Scott's body from the water and bring it to a dock in Wilington, where it was turned over to Los Angeles County coroner's officials.
Wow, that's rough news.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:04 AM
Wow... that's just too crazy. What would possess him to do something like that?? It's not like he was done on his luck or something. Nor did it seem he was terminally ill.

Either way, RIP.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:05 AM
wat the fuck
Old 08-20-2012, 12:07 AM
Holy shit... that is absolutely terrible news. I feel really bad for Ridley, didn't they have another brother who died a long time ago?

This is insane news... why would he kill himself???

I have been wanting to watch Enemy of the State again recently too, one of my favorites.

The guy was a tremendous action director.

My mouth was agape when I saw this headline... then i click, expecting to see he died from a heart attack or something to see he jumped to his death... insane.

Insane
Old 08-20-2012, 12:09 AM
RIP

my favorite movie from him is probably unstoppable
Old 08-20-2012, 12:14 AM
Absolutely horrible news. That he felt there was no other option is tragic.

A vital artist. So sad. RIP.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:15 AM
Tony Scott managed to make his action movies have a style that was more obnoxious and overloaded than Michael Bay's and still have more entertainment in them than Bay's films combined.

He was one of my favourite working directors in Hollywood, this news is really bumming me out.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:19 AM
I wonder what this does for the proposed Top Gun sequel??

I seriously feel bad for Ridley Scott right now, dude lost one brother in the 80's to Cancer (just Wikepedia'd it) and now his other brother to Suicide.

Plus I wonder what Denzel is thinking right now, seeing as Denzel was to Tony Scott as Depp is to Burton
Old 08-20-2012, 12:29 AM
He was, at one point, rumored to be possibly be involved with the 24 movie.

This sucks. Of all the celebrity deaths that has happened this year, this one probably hit me hardest. He was such an awesome filmmaker.

RIP

Old 08-20-2012, 12:33 AM
Just read this. What the fuck?
Old 08-20-2012, 01:03 AM
I still have the WTF?! on my face. I mean, WTFF?!

Like others have said, he had his own visual style. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, but he always persisted with his style. I enjoyed Enemy of the State and Man on Fire and tons of other films from him.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:05 AM
What the fucking hell? Wow. Unbelievable. I really like a lot of his movies.... How sad.

RIP Tony
Old 08-20-2012, 01:13 AM
Really fuckin' sad news! Just found out after watching a great action film! WTF?!?!?! It's unbelievable to me? R.I.P. Tony Scott...at least he left us with greats such as Top Gun, True Romance and Crimson Tide!

Just in shock and bewilderement?!
Old 08-20-2012, 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
I wonder what this does for the proposed Top Gun sequel??

I seriously feel bad for Ridley Scott right now, dude lost one brother in the 80's to Cancer (just Wikepedia'd it) and now his other brother to Suicide.

Plus I wonder what Denzel is thinking right now, seeing as Denzel was to Tony Scott as Depp is to Burton

His other brother died prior to the filming of Blade Runner.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:20 AM
I saw this posted by The Arrow on facebook. I almost wish I had not turned on my computer one last time today.

I can't imagine what he was going through that he felt like he had to take his life, but this is truly heartbreaking news. I have admired and enjoyed his work since I was young and I guess I took for granted that he and Denzel would always have a new action movie come out every couple of years.

The first time I saw any Tony Scott movie I was a kid and Days of Thunder was on TV. Tom Cruise was being arrested and the cops ended up being strippers...and he had a pretty nasty car crash. Never finished it but I'll have to sit down with a copy one day.

Then I saw Enemy of the State when I was in maybe 5th or 6th grade. I don't know how many times I've seen that damn movie but I love it to death. Went to see Spy Game when it came out in theaters and really enjoyed it.

Crimson Tide: Yay. Last Boy Scout: Hilarious. So many one-liners. The Fan: doesn't hold up but not as bad as they say, and it has NIN in the soundtrack. Even Domino was fun times for all its flaws.

I LOVE True Romance and Man on Fire. I watched those movies every time they came on TV when I was in high school, and True Romance was usually late night on Cinemax playing the Director's Cut. I just got the DVD from Ebay a few weeks ago and it remains one of my favorite films. I watched the deleted scenes and the alternate ending on my laptop and I listened to Tony Scott's commentary on that scene. He disagreed with Quentin on the fate of Clarence and Alabama because he had grown to love those characters and wanted to see their story end happily.

But this is the wrong ending for the life of Tony Scott. Just awful. I'll say a prayer tonight for the Scott family and all the people who were a part of his life.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:45 AM
When I saw Man On Fire back in 2004, I was calling it his masterpiece. He was a solid director and we've lost a talent.

RIP.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:59 AM
Ugh. This is fuckin terrible news.

RIP Tony
Old 08-20-2012, 02:09 AM
Wow...I am just speechless. Wow... what the fuck...
Old 08-20-2012, 02:23 AM
I was reading the story and comments over on Cnn.com and in the comments section people are saying he was recently diagnosed with Inoperable Brain Cancer. If that proves to be true, that explains his decision and it seems he did not want to have to suffer (nor his family) through what that hell would be like.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:26 AM

This is fucking terrible news. My thoughts go to his wife and sons
Old 08-20-2012, 02:43 AM
Quote:
I was reading the story and comments over on Cnn.com and in the comments section people are saying he was recently diagnosed with Inoperable Brain Cancer. If that proves to be true, that explains his decision and it seems he did not want to have to suffer (nor his family) through what that hell would be like.
Opens the debate on euthanasia again. =(
Old 08-20-2012, 02:51 AM
If it's true that he did this because of being diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer, then he probably wouldn't have lived that much longer anyway. When my mother's cancer had spread to her head, that was basically the beginning of the end for her. She died less than a month later.

Although of all the ways to kill yourself, couldn't he have chosen a less painful way to go out?
Old 08-20-2012, 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdude View Post
This is fucking terrible news. My thoughts go to his wife and sons
Not to mention his brother. Ridley is a pretty awesome filmmaker too. One can only imagine what he's currently going through.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:58 AM
If that is what happened, he got diagnosed with Inoperable Brain Cancer and then he wrote a note, went to a bridge and jumped.. i find that ending to very suitable, in a very cinematic sense.

My guess is he knew what he was doing, as you said Movies, brain cancer can strike you down within 1 month of being diagnosed.

No guns, cuz then that is messy and his family may have to clean it up, or be forced to live in a home where this happened... no pills for the same reason, as well as it is not a guaranteed way out... this ending was very cinematic and in all honesty, respectful to his family and friends.

I know some people say Suicide is a cowards way out (expect a Westboro Church comment within a day), but if this news happened to me, I would take care of every last affair I needed to and probably do the same thing, I do not want to suffer nor do my family and friends need to live through that type of hell.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:59 AM
very sad sad news probably like alot of us here I grew up watching his films my thoughts go out to his family RIP
Old 08-20-2012, 06:31 AM
Wow.....horrible, awful, terrible news.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:18 AM
I wish him and his family the best. He gave us some damn fine movies for our benefit. We'll never get a Tony Scott film again and that saddens me. In the strangest of ways, Tony Scott's suicide is oddly appropriate given his style. His movies were always on the edge and over the top.

RIP
Old 08-20-2012, 07:42 AM
Quote:
One lane of the eastbound side of the bridge was closed to traffic during the investigation. Cargo vessels moved at reduced speeds through the east side of the port's main channel during the search, said Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphey
RIP Tony Scott. Thank you for all your good work.

Fuck you for being so selfish. I feel bad for those people and boats who had their day delayed, because of his selfish asshole. He is lucky no one else got hurt while they looked for his body. If people are going to kill themselves they should do it at home with drugs or a shotgun.

I do feel sorry for the family. Suicide is a very selfish act.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Wow...I am just speechless. Wow... what the fuck...
This

I was just discussing True Romance last night because one of my inlaws had never seen it..Truly sad news
Old 08-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Mind telling me how you could kill yourself by jumping into water? Forgive the ignorance but I am genuinely intrigued.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 AM
I will always recall Top Gun as the film that made me long to join the Air Force and ride a motorcycle.
True Romance and Crimson Tide some of my favorites of all time
R.I.P
Old 08-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe8byrant View Post
Mind telling me how you could kill yourself by jumping into water? Forgive the ignorance but I am genuinely intrigued.

With approximately 185 feet (56 m) between you and ocean you don't fare well after jumping
Old 08-20-2012, 08:42 AM
RIP
Old 08-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beard_of_Meat View Post

With approximately 185 feet (56 m) between you and ocean you don't fare well after jumping
I know it is a stupid question but I mean it's water! Wouldn't it be like diving?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Yeah, I wonder this too... I guess the force of hitting the water will knock you out and you drown? I dunno, I'm dumb.

But aside. Fuckin hell. True Romance was the shit. Will miss the man and his talent.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe8byrant View Post
I know it is a stupid question but I mean it's water! Wouldn't it be like diving?
Hitting water at that speed is like hitting a brick wall.

Pretty terrible news. First thing I thought of was that he had been diagnosed with a fatal illness, and I wouldn't be surprised if that rumor on cnn turned out to be true.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:40 AM
At this height (56 meters) , you will hit the water at around 120 km/h which basically means the water is like concrete.

That's terrible news to wake up to. My theory is that he was recently diagnosed with either a stage 4 cancer or a degenerative disease.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Very sad news indeed. I always enjoyed his work and at only 68 years of age he had time to put out more great films. I can't say I would blame him for what he did though if the cancer rumor is true, one of the worst ways to die is from cancer. RIP
Old 08-20-2012, 12:05 PM
My prayers go out to his family. This is just stunning and awful news all the way around.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Yep that's what it was.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...BQOLhD3ByNBJlK