Old 08-29-2012, 01:37 PM
How Much Will You Pay For a DVD/Blu-Ray?

I'm kind of a stingy bastard, so I never really spend more than $14.99 on a Blu-Ray and never more than, say, $12.99 on a DVD. I love buying and collecting movies but I can never bring myself to spend a terrible amount of money on one BR/DVD. Don't get me wrong, I can go on Amazon and end up spending $60 on movies, but you can be damn sure I'm getting at least 6 movies for that amount of money. I think the most I spent on a single DVD was like $16.99 for a South Korean import of Eraserhead on DVD (getting it domestically was $99.99 and that ain't happening). I also base it on per-unit pricing, so if I see a box set of like 7 movies for $49.99, I'll still buy it because that's a little over $7 per movie.

So yeah, I kinda got rambling, but for you guys, is there a certain point where you refuse to pay a certain price, or are you okay with spending a ton of money on new releases and whatnot?
Old 08-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Outside of Criterion, Region 2 releases, or other boutique labels, I try to get the best deal possible on movies as well, though there are a lot of exceptions.

Usually go for about $10 and under on DVDs, or $15 or less on Blu-Ray. That said, there are a lot of releases that just never seem to drop price at all and will eventually cave if the price isn't too high.

I stopped buying new releases pretty much altogether and actually become patient as to where I'll wait until they go on sale for like $10 or less which doesn't seem to take long anymore.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:08 PM
about $200 since that's what the Bond 50 boxset is gonna cost me lol
Old 08-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1980 View Post
about $200 since that's what the Bond 50 boxset is gonna cost me lol
Yeah but that's essentially like $9 per movie plus a ton of bonus content, so $200 is actually a pretty fair price for what you're getting. Too much for me to spend all at once, but it's a steal.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:01 PM

Definitely have my price points for all DVD's/Blu's....

"Old" movies on DVD I won't pay more than (usually) $6-$7 and usually try to wait it out until I can snag it for under $5. My price point for an older movie on DVD does also depend on its current price point on Blu. (ex. If I can grab the Blu for a dollar or two or maybe even 3 more I'll go with that)

I buy all new releases on Blu, just not necessarily right away. Unless its a Day 1 must own (ex. The Avengers or The Dark Knight Rises), I pride myself with waiting it out until I see a price point under $10. With the Best Buy trade and save I've gotten a lot of new Blu's for just $5 (Source Code, The Hangover 2, Mission Impossible:Ghost Protocol, Craze Stupid Love), which is an absolute steal.

Playing the waiting game is a love/hate relationship - I love saving the money that most people end up shelling out for, but it does suck waiting for some new releases that take forever to hit bargain prices.

My two main titles I've been waiting and waiting to drop are The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and 50/50.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:26 PM
For the most part, I won't pay more than $15 for a blu-ray. I'll pay up to $20 for titles I want to see again right away (like Cabin in the Woods or The Avengers), which is only a few titles per year. And I'll only get a Criterion title if it's at least half off, even though that's still usually over $20.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:12 PM
I think $24.99 is the most I've spent. Generally, I won't think too much of it in the $15 range. I'd balk at spending more than $30. It really depends on a lot of factors though - availability, how much I want it, well, maybe just those 2 things.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:18 PM
When Lawrence of Arabia comes out in November it'll be around $70 so that.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:33 AM
ya but that Lawrence of Arabia isnt JUST a DVD/ Blu Ray.. it is a massive box set with awesome collectables! I have bought a few of those, the Blade RUnner Briefcase box and the Wizard of Oz set.

The most I pay for a blu ray is usually on release week if the title has some sort of bonus disc or collectable packaging. Recently I bought Hunger Games from target cuz they had a bonus disc AND collectable packaging, and that ran me around $27 after tax.

Aside from those occasions, I will generally wait for a title to hit $10 to $12 before I will buy it. That is what I'm doing right now with Battleship.. it will be down to that price range within 6 months
Old 09-01-2012, 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
ya but that Lawrence of Arabia isnt JUST a DVD/ Blu Ray.. it is a massive box set with awesome collectables! I have bought a few of those, the Blade RUnner Briefcase box and the Wizard of Oz set.

The most I pay for a blu ray is usually on release week if the title has some sort of bonus disc or collectable packaging. Recently I bought Hunger Games from target cuz they had a bonus disc AND collectable packaging, and that ran me around $27 after tax.
The extra stuff that comes with some Blu-Ray releases just doesn't appeal to me to be honest. When I buy movies, all I expect and want are movies; featurettes, BTS videos, etc. don't interest me and things like figures and other physical items are also things I can live without.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:32 AM
I don't buy DVD's new usually at all. The last one I DID buy new was "Fish Tank" but it was in trade with a local record store. It was $20. It was a Criterion Collection DVD of course. But yeah, outside of rare instances like that I just buy 'em all used. And if they're not used, I wait for them to be!