Old 08-25-2012, 04:51 PM
RIP Neil Armstrong

According to NBC News, Neil Armstrong, the first man on the moon, has died at age 82.

He died at 2:45 p.m. on Saturday, suffering complications following his recent cardiac bypass surgery.

On July 20, 1969, Armstrong and his partner Buzz Aldrin made history as the first people to ever walk on the moon. From the New York Times article applauding the achievement:
Quote:
Two Americans, astronauts of Apollo 11, steered their fragile four-legged lunar module safely and smoothly to the historic landing yesterday at 4:17:40 P.M., Eastern daylight time.
Neil A. Armstrong, the 38-year-old civilian commander, radioed to earth and the mission control room here:

"Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."
On Saturday, Armstrong's family confirmed his death, and released a statement:
Quote:
“We are heartbroken to share the news that Neil Armstrong has passed away following complications resulting from cardiovascular procedures.
Neil was our loving husband, father, grandfather, brother and friend.

Neil Armstrong was also a reluctant American hero who always believed he was just doing his job. He served his Nation proudly, as a navy fighter pilot, test pilot, and astronaut. He also found success back home in his native Ohio in business and academia, and became a community leader in Cincinnati.

He remained an advocate of aviation and exploration throughout his life and never lost his boyhood wonder of these pursuits.

As much as Neil cherished his privacy, he always appreciated the expressions of good will from people around the world and from all walks of life.

While we mourn the loss of a very good man, we also celebrate his remarkable life and hope that it serves as an example to young people around the world to work hard to make their dreams come true, to be willing to explore and push the limits, and to selflessly serve a cause greater than themselves.

For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.”
NASA tweeted a reaction to the news, offering its condolences.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1830343.html
Old 08-25-2012, 06:25 PM
The man was the reason astronauts and space were awesome.

Rest in peace
Old 08-25-2012, 08:29 PM
The word 'legendary' is overused and thrown around so much these days, but Neil Armstrong truly was.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:12 PM
And there is number 3! (as in they go in 3's: Tony Scott, Phylis Dyler and now Neil Armstrong)

Actors and Actresses become these god like beings due to their skills as actors, but Armstrong changed the world forever.

Forget any "I'll be Back" or "I Drink Your Milkshake".... "That's One Small Step for Man, One Giant Leap for Mankind" is THE most iconic and memorable line of dialog ever uttered.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:54 AM
Very sad. He's been my personal hero ever since I was young enough to know about him landing on the moon (I'm 26 now). Learning about Neil Armstrong motivated me to do something with science. Today, I have a Master of Aeronautical Science degree, been in the in the US Air Force for 8 years, and get to work with planes, bombs, and rockets everyday. Thank god for people like Neil Armstrong, who inspired millions to excel.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
Forget any "I'll be Back" or "I Drink Your Milkshake".... "That's One Small Step for Man, One Giant Leap for Mankind" is THE most iconic and memorable line of dialog ever uttered.
WORD!

R.I.P
Old 08-26-2012, 08:03 AM
If ever a man can be described as a hero....

RIP
Old 08-26-2012, 03:13 PM
RIP

Its funny though that there are still people that think the Moon landing was fake. And Kubrick was behind it
Old 08-26-2012, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
RIP

Its funny though that there are still people that think the Moon landing was fake. And Kubrick was behind it
I always suspected it was a rumor started by Buzz Aldrin so people would think he was the first man on the moon.

Seriously though, what an amazing life and man. It's a shame he wasn't a more public figure later in life because he had a lot of experience and wisdom to pass on.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Agreed.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Afuckingmen.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:57 PM
Despite the fact it wasn't exactly the line he wanted to say, yes.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
RIP

Quite.

RIP HERO
Old 08-27-2012, 09:39 PM
RIP Neil Armstrong

i heard about his death two days ago
Old 08-28-2012, 11:26 AM
There was a good comment piece in one of our local newspapers today about Neil Armstrong.

Here is the original : http://blogues.journaldemontreal.com...homme-un-vrai/ (It's in french btw )

And here is my loose and condensed translation :

Neil Amstrong - like his predecessors Evil Knievel , Joe DiMaggio , Martin Luther King and John Wayne - joined the American Heroes Hall of Fame.

Those who , like Buzz Lightyear , said "To infinity and beyond...."

Today , the USA ( in one of their worst economic crisis ) is in decline and their real life heroes got replaced by cartoon heroes. Did you notice that everytime America is sinking and loses global political influence , the comic super-heroes are rising ? When i was younger , my heroes were called Neil Amstrong , Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins. Today , the youth's heroes are called Batman , Spiderman and Ironman.

Neil Armstrong was crazy. In his tiny tincan , he blasted to outerspace without knowing the outcome. Imagine the courage he needed. Especially when the cellphone you possess now has way more power than the technology back then. The barrier separating him from death was 1 inch thick.

If someone did what he did today , he'd be on TV 24/7 with shitload of sponsors , selling you shaving cream and running for president.

Not Armstrong . Once back to earth , he kept his feet on the ground. He went to teach aeronautic in a small university while living on a farm.

When we learned of his passing , we really haven't heard from him in a while. He was off the radar.

Quiet , discreet , humble. They don't make them like that anymore.

Last edited by Dirtyfrog; 08-28-2012 at 11:28 AM..