Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 02:12 PM
"How to Catch a Monster" - Ryan Gosling's directorial debut

After much deliberation over the years, it looks like The Goose is about to become a director and is eager to team up with Christina Hendricks for his first effort behind the camera, which will also come from an original screenplay of his own.

A taste of what to expect:

Quote:
"'How To Catch a Monster' weaves elements of fantasy noir, and suspense into a modern day fairytale. Set against the surreal dreamscape of a vanishing city, Billy, a single mother of two, is swept into a macabre and dark fantasy underworld while her teenage son discovers a secret road leading to an underwater town. Both Billy and Bones must dive deep into the mystery, if their family is to survive."
I'm all over it. In my opinion Gosling is the most interesting and talented actor of his generation (for me his work in Blue Valentine is second only to Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood in terms of performances of the past 10 years) and to see him flex his creative muscles like this is gonna be something I'm going to be really excited to see. Not to mention the fact that the plot sounds so strange and out-there...can't wait to hear more about it! Apparently the movie will be optioned at the upcoming Toronto Film Festival and filming is expected to begin during the spring of next year.

Last edited by Reckoner; 08-29-2012 at 02:17 PM..
Old 08-29-2012, 03:38 PM

I'm all over this as well Filmking

Gosling is one of the best in the business and is a flat out talented artist (both in film and music)

The plot sounds...odd but I have no doubt that it'll be worth seeing.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Very intriguing ... I'm all over it.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Gosling was just in my restaurant a couple days ago, I'm guessing he's scouting locations.
This part of the description certainly sounds like Detroit.

Set against the surreal dreamscape of a vanishing city
Old 08-30-2012, 04:45 AM
Sounds like my secret diary will be getting more entries with hearts scribbled in the margins.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:45 AM
I'm having a hard time picturing Gosling directing a fantasy/fairy tale - mostly because I've never seen him in one. I'm not saying he can't pull it off, but I know him from movies like Drive; Blue Valentine; Crazy, Stupid, Love; . . . Remember the Titans, among others. He hasn't done a lot of fantasy movies, if any, so it's simply hard to imagine him directing one.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
Sounds like my secret diary will be getting more entries with hearts scribbled in the margins.
You too?
Old 08-31-2012, 05:12 AM
I hope it's terrible.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop No. 633 View Post
I hope it's terrible.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
I'm having a hard time picturing Gosling directing a fantasy/fairy tale - mostly because I've never seen him in one. I'm not saying he can't pull it off, but I know him from movies like Drive; Blue Valentine; Crazy, Stupid, Love; . . . Remember the Titans, among others. He hasn't done a lot of fantasy movies, if any, so it's simply hard to imagine him directing one.
Same here. I think he can do it, but this definitely isn't the kind of film I would have seen him tackle for his directing debut.