Old 10-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Seven Psychopaths

Directed by Martin McDonagh

Written by Martin McDonagh

Genre: Comedy

Plot Outline: A struggling screenwriter inadvertently becomes entangled in the Los Angeles criminal underworld after his oddball friends kidnap a gangster's beloved Shih Tzu.

Starring: Colin Farrell, Sam Rockwell, Christopher Walken, Woody Harrelson, Tom Waits

Rated R for strong violence, bloody images, pervasive language, sexuality/nudity and some drug use

Runtime: 109 minutes

Hands down the funniest film of the year and one of the best films of the year in general. It's Adaptation by the way of The Big Lebowski with a side of In Bruges. The trailers are really underselling this thing, which I think is good (although it may bite them in the ass financially). It literally gives away nothing and highlights only moderately funny moments.

Enjoy the ride.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:30 PM
I rewatched In Bruges twice this past month (Such a solid and hilarious flick). I'm there opening day!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:32 PM
In Bruges is EASILY one of my favorite films of the last decade. I will be all over this.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:54 PM

My friend in LA saw this and said it was one of the funniest films he's seen in a long time (and he's really picky).

I loved the hell out of In Bruges so definitely count me in.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:36 PM
In Bruges put me to sleep. Only parts I laughed at were Ferrell with the fat couple at the tower and the dwarf and hookers scene.

"Come on, leave it fatty" had me in stitches. But seriously, besides that what is it about this film? Sure those two scenes are rip roaring funny but the rest of the movie really isn't. At least not to me. Did I miss something here?

Seven Psychopaths here looks more my style. Looking forward to it.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:48 AM
Martin McDonagh is one of the funniest and most inventive writers currently working, both on film and especially on the stage.

This looks terrific.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:57 AM
Not a fan of In Bruges but this looks better. I love the cast and it looks fairly funny.

Based on the trailer, it looks like it'll be Christopher Walken, not surprisingly, who will steal the movie. Love the scene in the trailer where Zeljko Ivanek is holding a shot gun to Walken and he refuses to put his hands up!
Old 10-05-2012, 05:55 AM
Loved In Bruges, pretty sure I will love this.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Based on the trailer, it looks like it'll be Christopher Walken, not surprisingly, who will steal the movie.
Walken is great, but it's Sam Rockwell who steals the show by a long shot.

Also, there are a couple of great cameos that I had no idea were coming.

Last edited by Bourne101; 10-05-2012 at 01:31 PM..
Old 10-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Friggin loved In Bruges....and this is cleaning up over @ Rotten Tomatoes....I can't wait to check it out.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:07 PM
The cast is more than awesome
Old 10-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Funniest film of 2012 so far. (Full review when i get around to it)

8.5/10
Old 10-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Rex Reed says: "The result is a twitching convulsion of vicious drivel passing itself off as a movie, which can be best appreciated by the kind of people who dig Showgirls, the Saw franchise and Spike Jonze-Charlie Kaufman flicks."
Old 10-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
Rex Reed says:
That is never a good way to start a sentence.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
the kind of people who dig Showgirls, the Saw franchise and Spike Jonze-Charlie Kaufman flicks.
One of these things is not like the others, and that happens to be the one that actually resembles Seven Psychopaths in some way.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:59 AM
Martin McDonagh is an incredibly sharp and clever writer, and with 2008′s In Bruges he proved that his talent extends to feature filmmaking as well. Seven Psychopaths is a beguiling and unexpected movie with a concept, though difficult to articulate, that is fairly brilliant. A brilliant concept isn’t all that a good film requires, though, and sometimes a writer can allow the cleverness of the concept to muddle or consume an entire product. McDonagh’s most recent play “A Behanding in Spokane” (also starring Christopher Walken and Sam Rockwell) had this problem and now so too does Seven Psychopaths. There are many wise and hilarious beats throughout this film, but unfortunately it never quite adds up to what McDonagh was seemingly intending.

Without divulging too much of the film’s surprising narrative, I will say that the film exists as a genre deconstruction. It is clear that McDonagh is fed up with the cliches and obvious notes of the post Pulp Fiction crime dramedy, and in many cases through clever dialogue he eviscerates them. Mentions are made of extreme and gratuitous violence, the underuse of the female character, the convoluted plot twists, and the big shoot out finish – and, keeping in form, this film has all of those. It is a self aware, metatextual film that is at its best when the characters are simply sitting around discussing the nature of screenwriting and the film industry.

Like any crime dramedy should have, McDonagh has crafted some wonderfully bizarre characters and given his actors free room to play to the hills. Both Christopher Walken and Sam Rockwell are terrific, with Rockwell being completely unhinged and Walken given the most depth and nuance of any character he has had since Catch Me If You Can. Both are hilarious, but Walken comes out as the soul of the film. His work allows him to both rely on his trademark Walkenisms while also explore a little deeper into the human condition. Colin Farrell and Woody Harrelson also do fine work but are not given as much room to play, and Tom Waits has an appropriately strange supporting turn.

After a while, though, the clever commentary and sharp dialogue begins to lose steam as the characters are left in a strange and eventually uninteresting game of kidnapped dog. Are the characters well rounded and developed or do they just exist to serve the larger intellectual game? Many jokes are made at the expense of the characters, but I also think that this ends up being at the expense of the film itself. It begins to crumble towards the end as it becomes a sort of self fulfilling prophecy. The film does a good job of keeping the viewer on their toes, but the end is sadly predictable and the exact sort of thing the earlier portions of the film were arguing against. The film loses its spark as we are left with an unfortunately dull conclusion that doesn’t tie the film’s earlier ideas into a cohesive whole. As I mentioned earlier this is a case of a smart concept overwhelming the film’s narrative. The film is not given the opportunity to morph past its intellectual conceit and thus becomes a stagnant, somewhat messy affair.

Throughout the film we meet the Seven Psychopaths. It becomes increasingly unclear how exactly this is all going to tie together. Hints of the work of Charlie Kaufman run amok and the line between reality and what lies inside the head of the writer becomes unclear. At first this works as a fun head game, but eventually it becomes clear that while most things will make sense there will be a few unnecessary stragglers. Perhaps this is the point; the art of screenwriting is messy and it is difficult to know what to include and where to trim the fat. Unfortunately, though, while a valid point, this doesn’t make for a particularly engaging or rewarding film.

Last edited by SpikeDurden; 10-13-2012 at 09:57 PM..
Old 10-15-2012, 09:21 AM
Seven Psychopaths is one of the most insane and unpredictable films i have ever had the pleasure of watching.
Sam Rockwell as Billy Bickle is the psycho from which most of the madness stems,an actor with
a screen writer buddy Colin Farrell as Marty Faranan with writer's block and Christopher Walken as Hans
who assists Bickle in kidnapping dogs and then collecting the reward.Everything seems to be going well until they take the dog of
a psycho gangster Woody Harrelson as Charlie Costello.
This flick completely threw me off and i liked it.I found myself moved by an intense moment and then shocked
and laughing at an over the top violent moment.The whole cast is great and they all look like they are
having a good time great moments from Tom Waits as Zachariah Rigby a rabbit carrying psycho
and even though some of the characters express what may or may not happen in the film i was still
surprised by some of the turns in the script.
The numerous and overlapping story strands start to wear thin towards the end of the film but this is a flick
that would make any fan of Pulp Fiction happy and Quentin Tarantino bow down with praise.

Scale of 1-10 an 8
Old 10-15-2012, 08:53 PM
This was a pretty entertaining film overall. It's not as clever as it wants to be, but it's fun watching all the actors riff off of each other. The story kinda doesn't matter. It's a film about the banter and the characters, not the plot. I prefer In Bruges. Seven Psychopaths is more like it's entertaining cousin who rambles a lot, but you don't ever mind it because they make you laugh.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:53 PM
I'm looking forward to it for 2 reasons

1. Christopher Walken

2. The best OFFICIAL parody trailer ( yes , made by the same team behind the movie )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IAgSnstlKlE

imo a future cult classic in the making
Old 10-17-2012, 07:34 PM
There’s something special about the work of Martin McDonagh. His debut film In Bruges was something very special, mixing a dramatic hit-man film with a dash of comedy, and the result was something that felt wholly fresh and innovative. Now, McDonagh is at it again with Seven Psychopaths, but this time the director is more inclined with throwing more genres in the bus. A little crime caper film, drama, and a meta-commentary on screenwriting, McDonagh’s latest film does have a bit much on its plate, but the film is so hilarious that the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

If you are in love with In Bruges as I was, then the tone that his latest film goes around will feel right at home with you. The film follows a frustrated screenwriter Marty (Colin Farrell) who’s trying to come up with the next great film. In the midst of his writer’s block, he has to deal with his zany best friend Billy (Sam Rockwell), an actor who kidnaps dogs with his friend Hans (Christopher Walken) in order to reap their potential rewards. Ultimately, Marty gets in deep with Billy and Hans when the dog napping duo get their hands on a mob boss’s beloved shit-Tzu.

Now, while the concept seems a bit all over the place, the script does it’s very best to have it all come around in the end. There are more layers to the film than the above plot explanation, and those reveals make the film all the more fun, engrossing, and downright hilarious. This is mostly due to McDonagh’s handling of the collection of actors in his film. This guy knows how to get the best from everyone in his ensemble. If you need any evidence, just see Colin Farrell in In Bruges (Or just see In Bruges right now, if you can.). Farrell, this time around, is more a cypher to allow all the shenanigans to take place, being more reactive to the other characters than a fully formed character. That doesn’t mean that he’s terrible, as he gets some solid comedic moments when given the chance.

No, the real scene-stealers are Sam Rockwell’s Billy and Walken’s Hans. Rockwell is a ball of pent up energy, almost always stealing a scene whenever he’s given a chance. The man is truly a great actor, just see Moon to see him cement a grandiose performance in cinema history, but he’s a revelation in this comedic role. He’s the off-the-wall “wild card” character that you don’t know what he’s going to do next, and it’s an absolute blast.

On the more human, but still hilarious, side of the acting spectrum, there’s Christopher Walken. This role is truly a showcase on why Wlaken is just awesome at what he does, playing the pacifist Hans with such gusto and “Walkenism”. But, when it comes to the meatier, dramatic moments, Walken bites into those scenes with relish. He downplays everything perfectly, never overdoing or under handling a scene, he plays those moments just right. On the more minor, but still solid, side; there’s Woody Harrelson as the mob boss who just wants his dog back, and Tom Waits as a lunatic with a bunny. Trust me, the latter role makes more sense in context.

For McDonagh’s second feature, the director still has the chops and tenacity to make a film that is certainly his own vision in tone and comedy. There’s not a concise handling like In Bruges, but the ideas and themes are handled just right that the film never really misses the mark completely, just strays a bit space or two outside the bulls eye. But, despite those minor inconveniences, this is certainly one of the (if not THE) funniest comedies of 2012, and you’d be crazy not to see it.

8.5/10
Old 10-18-2012, 12:56 AM
This movie just flat out rocks. I enjoyed every minute of it.

9.9/10
Old 10-24-2012, 03:38 PM
My Review

Plot: A screenwriter is attempting to write and finish a script about seven psychopaths

Review:
I had no idea what I was getting myself into going into this movie. I had never seen any of the directors work before, and my god, was I blown away. What a movie, I mean, between the characters, actors, performances, cinematography, and plot, it's up there with my top movies of this year. Between how violent it was, to how funny it was, the movie never had a dull moment. Go see this movie, it won't disappoint. Christopher Walken is the man.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:21 AM
Just got back from seeing this and as a fan of In Bruges, I am honestly disappointed. I think three words can accurately sum up this movie: disjointed, sporadic, and frustrating. I don't think Seven Psychopaths is a bad film, but a satisfying one it is not.

With In Bruges, McDonaugh was able to stay focused, yet accomplish the feat of inserting some non-typical plot elements and characters into his story. He attempts to do the same thing here, but achieves only mixed results. The pace is really uneven, the humor is inconsistent, and the story never achieves the cohesion it seems to strive towards.

One of the major problems this film has is with one of its main characters, played by Sam Rockwell. The performance is excellent, but this character, while obviously written to beat offbeat and defiant of cliches, is absolutely repulsive and infuriating at every turn. He's a psychopath, and maybe that's the point, but when McDonaugh actually goes so far as to try and have the audience empathize with his character I just lost it. This is the character that is responsible for nearly every death in the film, who repeatedly lies and manipulates people, and somehow, I'm supposed to perceive him as a kind of hero by the end of the film?

You can argue that such an arc wasn't the intention behind the writing, but as many genre conventions as McDonaugh side steps in this film, IMO, he doesn't really get away with putting Rockwell's character in "the grey area" between good and bad. I mean, the line is clearly drawn between who the good guys are and who the bad guys are in this film. We know that we're supposed to be siding with Rockwell, Walken, and Farrell pretty early on. He tried too hard to make Rockwell's character likeable, to trick us into liking a psychopath. As hard as he tried, I could never empathize with someone, even a fictional character, that does the things Rockwell's character does. To have his character get that last little bit of satisfaction when the dog finally pawed his hand at the end of the film just irked the shit out of me. I kept praying for someone to blow his head off.

In summary- Seven Psychopaths contains some really good ideas and a handful of funny and creative moments, but it ultimately ends up being inconsistent and dissatisfying. 6/10
Old 10-28-2012, 10:38 AM
I thought the movie had a great concept, interesting characters, and clever execution - as far as the direction was concerned. It wasn't as funny as I'd hoped it would be, but the characters alone and how psychotic they actually are made the movie for me. Their actions, quips, and stories were all simply so "out there" that it was difficult to not at least chuckle at how insane they were. The story and how it connects all the characters' storylines and insanity is really well done and everything is wrapped up quite well.

7/10
Old 10-31-2012, 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Walken is great, but it's Sam Rockwell who steals the show by a long shot.
Rockwell was good, but my initial guess that Walken would steal the movie ended up being correct, to me any way.

Yes, Rockwell had some funny lines and he was enjoyable to watch. Walken was funny as well but also brought something much more to his part. What I wasn't expecting was the unexpected depth that Walken brings to his role and the movie. He brings a real sense of melancholy sadness during the second half of the movie.

Spoiler:
The look at Walken's face when he finds his wife's bloody, dead body was just incredible. He doesn't scream. He doesn't say anything. It's all in his eyes. And then when he sits across from Woody Harrelson and just looks at him. Again, just absolutely devastating.

The more I think about the movie, the more I really love Walken's performance. More than anything else in the movie, that is what has stayed with me. He deserves an Academy Award nomination IMO.

The movie was good though certainly not great. I had my problems with the ending, what the story, at least how I conceived it to be, was ultimately kind of about. But Walken was tremendous.

Last edited by ilovemovies; 10-31-2012 at 03:38 AM..