#1  
Old 01-12-2012, 09:11 PM
The Absolute WORST Theater Experience of My Life

I know I'm kicking a dead horse with ANOTHER bad theater experience but this one tops the fucking cake.

Before the theater, I called up some friends and wanted to see if anyone wanted to go see The Devil Inside with me. Most of my friends were busy but one of my friends was being on the fence of it. He asked what time the movie started and I told him that it started in 2 hours or so, he didn't know if he was doing anything so I just told him the theater and showtime I was going to and if he was gonna come, just go to that theater and I'll see him in there.

So, I get to the theater and I prefer not to use much cash and use my credit card, well the theater I go to just added a new XD theater to it and re-did most of the theater, including new screens to buy tickets from, in case you don't go to theaters with screens to buy tickets off of, it's exactly what you think, enter your code or swipe your credit card and you can buy the ticket there. Well they put new screens in and I guess no one fucking tested them because they were more buggy than if Fallout: New Vegas fucked Bubsy 3D. When I clicked on the Devil Inside, the screen thought I clicked on War Horse, after two clicks, I got back to the movie menu screen and after a couple more tries, it FINALLY clicked on the Devil Inside. I click for one ticket, but of course these screens suck ass and it said I wanted two tickets but stupid me wasn't checking because I figured that the screens were competent enough to, hmm, I dunno FUCKING WORK. I swiped my card and saw two tickets and a receipt, ah fuck, I accidentally bought two tickets, well they already charged it to my card so I guess if my other friend wants to come, he has a free ticket. I would be more upset if I knew that no one else was coming at all so, whatever, sucks I had to pay another $7 but, the world's not gonna end.

Get my popcorn, my soda and my hotdog (they taste good, dammit!) and go to get my ticket ripped. The guy at the front asked for my ID, now I'm not someone who talks about how magnificent I am but I don't look like some kid. My hands are full so there I am spilling popcorn as I set it on the ground and hand the guy my ID and picked up my popcorn off the ground realizing the mess I made but, fuck 'em, do I look like a kid? Yeah, I know it sounds arrogant to have a sentence like that but, I'm pissed off so, just let it pass.

Get my seat and sit down watching some pre-show bullshit when soon, I see a couple of teeny-boppers running to the top of the stairs and all I hear is "Dude, c'mon, hurry up!" My first thought was "How the fuck did those kids get past?" Now, if you're sneaking into an R rated movie, you should really be quiet and shut the fuck up so no one in the theater reports you to the employees. The second they sat down, ringtones going off, obscene language being yelled over to friends, giggling from two of the girls, and rapid talking. Thankfully the loud trailers washed out the bullshit they spewed from their mouths until the movie started. The movie isn't quiet per-say, but it certainly isn't loud. The whole time is their fucking commentary and those stupid fucking little giggles. Whatever moment that may've been tense or suspenseful is ruined by their in-movie commentary. I swear, if you took a shot for every time their stupid little text tones went off, you'd be dead. At least 4 or 5 people in the theater looking angry looked back at them and just stared. They were shushed twice (and once by me) and it was followed by their laughing and giggling with their whispering to each other. It was at the point where I left the theater and told the guy up front that there are teens in an R rated film and are being extremely noisy, he told me that he'd take care of it. I go back into the theater and for the rest of the movie, no one working there is to be found in sight. These kids were running down the stairs and talking, along with being fucking noisy.

What REALLY got to me is that my friend from earlier had texted me and I'm not at all the time of person to fucking text during a movie. My screen wasn't bright and I slightly pulled it out of my pocket, enough so I can read the short text which basically told me that he couldn't make it, one of the fucking stupid little cunt teens giggles and yells out "Hey! Turn off your phone!" then continues to laugh and whisper to eachother. I wanted to stand up and go August Underground on them, never before have I been so angry at a person in a movie theater, I really wanted to put them in the most physical pain I could possibly imagine.

For the first time ever in my entire 20 years of living, I have never thought or imagined I would stand up, turn around, spilling some of my popcorn and yell "Shut the fuck up!" I had reached my breaking point and when I told what had happened to some friends, they thought I was just making this up and didn't believe me, if my friend had been there, he could've justified for me but he was busy so I'm not angry at him or anything.

There was only about a half hour left and they were giggling and talking but not as much as before. When the film ended and the lights were up, they walked down the aisle and one of the boys looked at me, I heard them saying on their way out stuff like "That movie was so stupid" and "I can't believe we saw that." I wanted to slap the shit out of them for too many reasons to count. The guy I told earlier about the kids FUCKING SAW THEM LEAVE THE THEATER AND DIDN'T DO A DAMN FUCKING THING ABOUT IT! Must be fun being a lower class man of society, too brain dead to not being able to remember what you ate for breakfast. I left the theater in rage watched the little cunts leave and giggle their way out while still on their phones.

And that my friends, is why it is never too late for an abortion.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-dae-su View Post
When I clicked on the Devil Inside, the screen thought I clicked on War Horse, after two clicks, I got back to the movie menu screen and after a couple more tries, it FINALLY clicked on the Devil Inside. I click for one ticket, but of course these screens suck ass and it said I wanted two tickets but stupid me wasn't checking because I figured that the screens were competent enough to, hmm, I dunno FUCKING WORK. I swiped my card and saw two tickets and a receipt, ah fuck, I accidentally bought two tickets, well they already charged it to my card so I guess if my other friend wants to come, he has a free ticket.
It must have been a Cinco device

"Your wifes new legal name is Taargus Taargus"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-12-2012, 09:34 PM
That sounds like one of those shit days. Just piles on top of each other. I feel you man. I wish theaters were a lot more strict on this shit, like Alamo Drafthouse does it. You as much as open your mouth or a screen lights up, you get kicked the fuck out of the theater without a refund.

Most of these employees who work there are fuckin' high schoolers with A.D.D anyway. No wonder he 'missed' it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Don't take this as a personal attack on your taste of movies, but when you go to the theater to see shitty generic movies like the devil inside that's what you get; a shitty movie that attracts a bunch of obnoxious people who don't care about the film they're seeing. Teens sometimes use movies like that as a social gathering ground. I experienced a similar situation when I made the mistake of seeing The Unborn. (Damn you Gary Oldman!)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycheoutsteve View Post
Don't take this as a personal attack on your taste of movies, but when you go to the theater to see shitty generic movies like the devil inside that's what you get; a shitty movie that attracts a bunch of obnoxious people who don't care about the film they're seeing. Teens sometimes use movies like that as a social gathering ground. I experienced a similar situation when I made the mistake of seeing The Unborn. (Damn you Gary Oldman!)
It's my fault for seeing a film I was interested in?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Oh Dae, it wasn't your fault for seeing a movie you were interested in. But anymore than about 10 mins AFTER you told the fucking douchebag in the lobby to kick the cunt teens out and they didn't arrive to do it? I would've complained and asked for a return ticket or a refund. It's experiences like yours (primarily the loud cunt fucking teens) why I don't bother going to the movies anymore. Years ago, I used to go on a weekly basis. But inconsiderate fucking assholes like them are the reason's I may go 3 or 4 times in a years' period of time.

Anyway, I don't blame you for being pissed off... But at the same time, I SO would've left and got a refund or a return ticket for another showing (preferably earliest in the day - when POSSIBLY motherfucker's like them won't be in there to ruin it for ya).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-13-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-dae-su View Post
I wanted to stand up and go August Underground on them
I think that this should be a new phrase we use around here, when we get into our little Schmoe fights. "I'm gonna go August Underground on you!" "Well, not before I pull a Faces of Death on your ass!" "Man, this Thread is uglier than Ogrish Forums!"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-13-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-dae-su View Post
And that my friends, is why it is never too late for an abortion.
Haha nice
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-dae-su View Post
It's my fault for seeing a film I was interested in?
I'm not saying it's your fault, I'm just saying you should anticipate these types of things when you go and see films of lesser quality. We all see shitty films every once in awhile if their subjects interest us, but we kind of need to come to terms with the fact that those films are going to attract some very immature characters. If you anticipate that fact, then you will be less frustrated with your future theater going experiences.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycheoutsteve View Post
I'm not saying it's your fault, I'm just saying you should anticipate these types of things when you go and see films of lesser quality. We all see shitty films every once in awhile if their subjects interest us, but we kind of need to come to terms with the fact that those films are going to attract some very immature characters. If you anticipate that fact, then you will be less frustrated with your future theater going experiences.
I'm not sure if this is correct, Jackarses go to quality movies as well.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-05-2012, 12:17 AM
That's FUBAR, oh-dae-su. I sympathize with you. I really do. I rarely go to the movies anymore, unless it's a film that's bigger than Ben Hur. The last film I saw at the flicks was Immortals in November of 2011. That's over 3 months ago. And I won't be going to see another until The Avengers, TDKR, Prometheus. And that'll be pretty much it for 2012.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-05-2012, 12:46 AM
The theater in my town is fucking awesome. I was the only one in the theater when I went to see Hugo and Inception for the first time and they weren't a matinee showing either. Nobody goes there. I have no clue how the theater makes money actually and I'm worried it might go out of business soon.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-05-2012, 08:08 AM
I made the mistake of going to a late (12:40am) show of Project X (terrible movie) with a friend this past Saturday, and it was without a doubt the worst theatre experience of my life.

As you would expect with a movie like Project X, the theatre was filled with a loud and unsavory crowd of people. They treated the theatre like an outdoor park and chatted the entire time. When the film began and some loud song I didn't know started playing, people not only started singing along but they got up out of their seats and started dancing. As the film's mayhem progress it was as if a party erupted in our theatre, with people dancing, chatting, yelling, etc.

Worst of all, a few people actually took out joints and started smoking weed. In a public movie theatre. Luckily they were escorted out but it caused a scene and it caused the theatre to smell.

I couldn't even believe it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Yeah it's awfully lame. I do feel for the theater workers in that they don't have a ton of freedom to do much in that situation, but it's lame behavior obviously.

I certainly don't think it's the theater-goer's fault for the people being loud. I will say, however, that if the film I want to see is going to possibly be popular with the teenage crowd I do my best to go to a weekday daytime screening. Worst case scenario in those is generally older couples talking out loud about the goings-on onscreen, but that's pretty rare. I'm blessed with a job that grants me a ton of freedom to do this; I know many are stuck with the weekend options only.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-07-2012, 12:03 AM
Oh, man, I feel for you, Oh. I've had experiences like this before, though not to the extent that I want to physically hurt someone, so I can imagine how bad it must have been.

Honestly, I don't understand why some people even bother going to the movies anymore. When I went to see Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, two guys sitting next to me spent the entire commercials and trailers watching Family Guy on an iPod and laughing their heads off. Not loudly, mind you, and they did turn it off once the movie started, but I kept wondering, why are you even here in the first place? And that's not to mention the teens that kept yelling and running up and down the aisles ("We're gonna get kicked out!" Then FUCKING STOP!) They did stop eventually, but again, why bother?

Why is it a new social meeting ground all of a sudden? Really, what's so social about sitting in a darkened room? I can't stand people that text or can't possibly go without their phones for two hours. But then again, I hate phones.

And, whether the movie you watch is good or not has nothing to do with it! If you want to watch a film you should be able to do it without dumb distractions.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-07-2012, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-dae-su View Post
For the first time ever in my entire 20 years of living, I have never thought or imagined I would stand up, turn around, spilling some of my popcorn and yell "Shut the fuck up!"
That is where you and I differ sir! I am the person that as soon as the trailers begin, and the people have not shut up (that have been rudely talking throughout the entire pre show), I will yell "shut the fuck up, you annoying cunts" to which, 9 times out of 10 gets a sweet applause by the other theater goers!

(The most recent time for this was for The Hangover Part 2, at the Universal AMC in Hollywood, i was upstairs waiting for the movie to start and there were a bunch of annoying 16 or 17 year old girls and their wanna be thug boyfriends, they wouldnt shut the fuck up, and then once the trailers began, "Shut the fuck up, you annoying cunts" applause from the rest of the ppl, 1 girls asked the other "what did he say?" "He told us to shut the fuck up"... and from there, about 5 minutes later, they left of their own accord! (Perhaps they thought I was gonna go tell? not sure, but they left)!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Quote:
(The most recent time for this was for The Hangover Part 2, at the Universal AMC in Hollywood, i was upstairs waiting for the movie to start and there were a bunch of annoying 16 or 17 year old girls and their wanna be thug boyfriends, they wouldnt shut the fuck up, and then once the trailers began, "Shut the fuck up, you annoying cunts" applause from the rest of the ppl, 1 girls asked the other "what did he say?" "He told us to shut the fuck up"... and from there, about 5 minutes later, they left of their own accord! (Perhaps they thought I was gonna go tell? not sure, but they left)!
They probably thought the theater was too hostile since an adult in the audience told a group of teenagers to shut the fuck up, cunts. I would have left too if I was on the receiving end of that.

This whole thread is about people frustrated by the indirect if peaceful disrespect of talking, and wanting to solve that frustration with direct disrespect and aggression. I have had more problem with neurotic movie watchers like that in theaters than I have with the chatterers. I'm one of the few movie movie fans on the opposite side of this. I usually avoid these threads because I don't have anything to contribute, but as long as nobody in the audience is bothering me directly, kicking my chair or throwing shit in the theater, watch and let watch. I actually get annoyed at movie fans here, because some people just enjoy films by talking during the films. Some movie fans are fucking up somebody else's movie experience just because they want a private silence in a public forum.

You told a group of teenage girls to shut the fuck up, cunts, because they were talking during the trailers. I can't think of anything that would ruin my own movie experience more than overhearing an exchange like that.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-08-2012, 12:46 AM
your reply that anyone would have left if some person told them to shut the fuck up, only makes my argument stronger i think!

In that i mean: people that are singing loud as hell, trying to show off for everyone, trying to be that super awesome annoying, TRYING to be funny person, and then when the trailers start and they continue the exact same... they deserve to be told to fuck off, because i would rather i nip it in the bud during previews than when the movie starts and I miss some of it. If by me telling them to shut the fuck up and on occasion throwing in a further adjective, if that makes these people say to themselves "man, this theater is no fun" and they leave... I have done my job! (perhaps someone else may have been offended by my use of the word cunt, but if they were, their cries were drown out by the applause I received!)

and I have to ask Shin... do you really not care if you are sittin gin a theater and there are loud ass people in the theater?? Does that not annoy you?

If people do derive such pleasures from talking during movies, than they should have the common courtesy to wait until the movie is on home video and they are at home or a friends house, and they can talk all they want.

When I pay 12 to 20 bucks for a movie, I expect that the movie is the main focus of attention... i think that isnt an unreasonable request, do you??


Also, I just wanna reiterate, these were not some teenage girls who were like, talking at a normal volume prior to the movie... no, these were a group of like 5 girls, and maybe 4 dudes, hispanic, (not that it matters, but I am just scene painting here, so you can picture in your minds eye) and they were screaming at the top of their lungs, dancing in the aisle and seats, running up and down... basically the stereotype of annoying ass teenagers, is what they were all doing. when the previews start, generally ppl are in their seats, watching, still SOME conversation going, but not enough to whre you cant hear the damn screen! At that point, nope, gotta nip it before the movie begins.

I hope I have cleared up my point a little, and by all means, if you still disagree, feel free to fire back at me (Respectfully, of course)!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycheoutsteve View Post
Don't take this as a personal attack on your taste of movies, but when you go to the theater to see shitty generic movies like the devil inside that's what you get; a shitty movie that attracts a bunch of obnoxious people who don't care about the film they're seeing. Teens sometimes use movies like that as a social gathering ground. I experienced a similar situation when I made the mistake of seeing The Unborn. (Damn you Gary Oldman!)
I hate that statement. Yes, you are right, but it shouldn't be that way.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Anyway, I don't blame you for being pissed off... But at the same time, I SO would've left and got a refund or a return ticket for another showing (preferably earliest in the day - when POSSIBLY motherfucker's like them won't be in there to ruin it for ya).
But he had snacks already. It would suck to over pay for snacks and not see the movie or to rebuy snacks another day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-dae-su View Post
I know I'm kicking a dead horse with ANOTHER bad theater experience but this one tops the fucking cake.
.
I was with you up until you picked up your phone. You should know better.

It is a suck ass situation all the way around. I find it best to look around at other people and see if they are annoyed. Try to make eye contact and give a head nod. Then speak up and say something. Any people you make contact with will back you up. Punk ass mids think they are bullies in this situation and will back down when confronted by 2 or more parties not together. The theater is lame, but it is not worth your time to rat the guy out. There are situations where you have to handle things yourself.

To be trailers are the tell tale sign of things to come.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking View Post
I'm not sure if this is correct, Jackarses go to quality movies as well.
It's more often that they gather at shit-fests like "the devil inside me" or "the unborn."
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
Yeah it's awfully lame. I do feel for the theater workers in that they don't have a ton of freedom to do much in that situation, but it's lame behavior obviously.
Agreed. Yes the ushers CAN kick people out for rude or disturbing behaviour, but what do you do if the kids won't leave? If they force them out, they will be fired. If they talk them down, they are disturbing the movie more. It's a lose/lose situation for everyone. Movies should be more policed, but next to impossible. The theatres say they care about customer service but if an Usher forces somebody out physically who is being abrasive, then they can lose their jobs which is unfair. This is why most ushers do "nothing". They are scared to lose their jobs and why lose it for a bunch of rowdy kids?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
I actually get annoyed at movie fans here, because some people just enjoy films by talking during the films.
You've never had a bad theater experiences. Trust me. If you are this unperturbed by people talking then you've encountered polite, occasional whispering several rows away from your own seat.

I am a pretty tolerant person and have only once been irritated enough to tell someone to shut up. And that was mostly because these two guys were literally sitting two seats away from me and their loud talking was distracting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
Some movie fans are fucking up somebody else's movie experience just because they want a private silence in a public forum.
You're right. It's not your house where you can do what ever you want. It is a public forum and public forums come with certain rules. These rules are in place because public forums have specific functions like an auditorium for watching a movie on a large screen.

If these rules didn't exist, I could legitimately have band practice in a public library.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-22-2012, 09:51 AM
This reminds me of what my experience seeing The Artist would've been like. I went with my grandpa (hey, it's a silent film), and he went to the bathroom and I went to get seats. There were these two teenage girls sitting outside the theater, presumably waiting for friends, and I overheard them complaining that they had no idea what The Artist was and either bought tickets for the fuck of it or were movie hopping. One of them asked me what it was and I said "a foreign film from France", to which they asked me "is it in English". I dare not say it was a silent film because when I said "no" they started laughing. Looking back I regret not saying "If you people start laughing and talking in the theater, I'm gonna get you kicked out.", but anyhow, they and presumably their friends walked into the theater, sat at the top, and for whatever reason left before the previews even started. Thank the holy lord.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boombata View Post
Agreed. Yes the ushers CAN kick people out for rude or disturbing behaviour, but what do you do if the kids won't leave? If they force them out, they will be fired. If they talk them down, they are disturbing the movie more. It's a lose/lose situation for everyone. Movies should be more policed, but next to impossible. The theatres say they care about customer service but if an Usher forces somebody out physically who is being abrasive, then they can lose their jobs which is unfair. This is why most ushers do "nothing". They are scared to lose their jobs and why lose it for a bunch of rowdy kids?
Hmm, when I saw The Woman in Black an usher kicked out an entire row of people for talking and throwing shit at the screen....and she was kind of a bitch about it, even though I wanted them out. Hope she was fired.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Think of it like the Scream films: There are rules you need to follow in order to survive at night or day at the movies.

If you're going to see gimmicky, films whose marketing is CLEARLY geared toward the lowest common denominator, and you actually want to pay attention to what's on screen, then you NEED schedule yourself appropriately.

1. DON'T see said film opening night. You are literally just asking for a shitty experience.

You wanna see a film opening night? See something that you are at least 85% sure will be inhabited by adults who actually have to work for their money and attach value to it and can behave. If you tell a teenager about said film and they say it sounds "stupid and boring" that's the movie you should be watching opening night!

2. DO have a list of alternative theatres. Where I lived had a ghetto theater, the new mall multiplex, the old strip mall multiplex, the arthouse/mainstream multiplex. I know exactly what movies I can see at these places and the kind of audiences that frequent those places and chose my movies accordingly.

3. DO get up early and take advantage of AMC's matinee times. Its before 12pm on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and holidays and its about HALF the price of a regular ticket. You are practically guaranteed an uninterrupted moviegoing experience. The theatre can range from being half to less than half full, populated by mainly older people (cause the young people are still sleeping off their late night). However if it is a MEGA marketed film with a mega-star, it could go either way. I saw Am Legend on an early weekend afternoon: PACKED and I had an older woman asking questions behind me. But I was also at the AMC theatre in Times Square. (refer back to Rule #2)

4. DO wait a week or two to see your film on the weekend. The longer you wait, the lower the asshole to movie fan ration drops.

5. DO see movies on the weekdays (not applicable during summer). Go after work if you're not dead tired, or after school if you have the money and the means. The majority of people don't see movies on the weekday and once again less people= less aggravation.

6. DO exercise your rights as a PAYING CUSTOMER. If you go to a restaurant and the food is undercooked or looks bad you send it back. You buy an outfit and there's a rip or a stain you get a refund or a replacement, because that's not what you paid for. You go to the movies to watch and hear a film, NOTHING ELSE. So if someone is hindering your experience you have every right to complain and get a refund. I guarantee if more people reported assholes and asshole teenagers to management or requested refunds for ruined moviegoing experiences, we would see less complaints about people misbehaving in theatres because the theatre management would be strident about getting rid of these people because its costing them money. Word would get out to assholes and they'd make their own lists of theatres they know they can and can't get away with shit at.

You don't have to be n asshole when you do it, and asking for a refund or complaining does not make you an asshole. You say this group is interrupting the movie and yelling and you either want your money back or think they should be ejected.



Sure it sounds like a lot of work just to watch a movie, but if you're a movie fan you have standards. This is what you're passionate about and dammit you want the best experience you can get for what YOU'RE PAYING A SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT OF MONEY FOR!

Last edited by electriclite; 03-29-2012 at 05:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriclite View Post
Think of it like the Scream films: There are rules you need to follow in order to survive at night or day at the movies.

If you're going to see gimmicky, films whose marketing is CLEARLY geared toward the lowest common denominator, and you actually want to pay attention to what's on screen, then you NEED schedule yourself appropriately.

1. DON'T see said film opening night. You are literally just asking for a shitty experience.

You wanna see a film opening night? See something that you are at least 85% sure will be inhabited by adults who actually have to work for their money and attach value to it and can behave. If you tell a teenager about said film and they say it sounds "stupid and boring" that's the movie you should be watching opening night!

2. DO have a list of alternative theatres. Where I lived had a ghetto theater, the new mall multiplex, the old strip mall multiplex, the arthouse/mainstream multiplex. I know exactly what movies I can see at these places and the kind of audiences that frequent those places and chose my movies accordingly.

3. DO get up early and take advantage of AMC's matinee times. Its before 12pm on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and holidays and its about HALF the price of a regular ticket. You are practically guaranteed an uninterrupted moviegoing experience. The theatre can range from being half to less than half full, populated by mainly older people (cause the young people are still sleeping off their late night). However if it is a MEGA marketed film with a mega-star, it could go either way. I saw Am Legend on an early weekend afternoon: PACKED and I had an older woman asking questions behind me. But I was also at the AMC theatre in Times Square. (refer back to Rule #2)

4. DO wait a week or two to see your film on the weekend. The longer you wait, the lower the asshole to movie fan ration drops.

5. DO see movies on the weekdays (not applicable during summer). Go after work if you're not dead tired, or after school if you have the money and the means. The majority of people don't see movies on the weekday and once again less people= less aggravation.

6. DO exercise your rights as a PAYING CUSTOMER. If you go to a restaurant and the food is undercooked or looks bad you send it back. You buy an outfit and there's a rip or a stain you get a refund or a replacement, because that's not what you paid for. You go to the movies to watch and hear a film, NOTHING ELSE. So if someone is hindering your experience you have every right to complain and get a refund. I guarantee if more people reported assholes and asshole teenagers to management or requested refunds for ruined moviegoing experiences, we would see less complaints about people misbehaving in theatres because the theatre management would be strident about getting rid of these people because its costing them money. Word would get out to assholes and they'd make their own lists of theatres they know they can and can't get away with shit at.

You don't have to be n asshole when you do it, and asking for a refund or complaining does not make you an asshole. You say this group is interrupting the movie and yelling and you either want your money back or think they should be ejected.



Sure it sounds like a lot of work just to watch a movie, but if you're a movie fan you have standards. This is what you're passionate about and dammit you want the best experience you can get for what YOU'RE PAYING A SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT OF MONEY FOR!
I think you just wrote the Bible on how to have a good movie-going experience at the theater! hehe.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-16-2012, 08:48 PM
I've gotten to the point where I don't even go to the theater anymore unless it's a SAG (Screen Actors Guild) screening. I can see those free, and there's usually a Q&A with the cast and/or filmmakers afterward. The audiences are much more respectful (because they're in the business), and no one texts or runs their mouths.

I made the mistake of going to see "Avatar" in 3D when it came out (I didn't care for the film, and the 3D looked dark and murky). But even on a weekday matinee showing, a woman's cell phone went off a few seats down from me. She answered the thing and began talking like she was at home - top of her lungs and going on and on. I finally got up, walked over to her, and said "Please hang up your phone!" She gave me a look like I had called her every name in the book. She made me out to be the asshole. And of course she continued to talk on her fucking phone. She eventually hung up, but this was the last time I ever paid to see a movie in the theater.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-17-2012, 12:36 AM
I have about five minutes of patience for little shits like that onve the movie has started. After that I stand up, look directly at them and tell them that if they dont shut the fuck up Im going to beat the living shit out of them in front of their cunt girlfriends. It works most times, mostly they just leave and say something stupid as they do.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-17-2012, 08:13 AM
There were these kids talking when I saw Ted, some douchebag trying to make his friends laugh by commenting loudly at everything. Another dude stood up and told the kid to shut the fuck up.

He was my hero, and later I learned that I actually knew him.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-22-2012, 12:00 AM
I feel your pain, somewhat. That's why every time I go to a movie, I scope out the line up and watch where people sit. It's usually a group of teenagers or just dumb excuses for humans that do this shit. One of my biggest pet peeves is people who constantly check their phones in a movie, and then talking...but since people are so fucking narcissistic nowadays, they always check their phones more to see how important they are on Facebook..at least turn the brightness down to zero.

Just keep an eye on the audience next time. Look for who comes in and where they sit to give yourself a general sense. I always sit at the side if it's not a 3D or IMAX screening. At the side, at the very top. You can always lie that it's occupied.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-22-2012, 09:30 AM
I saw The Campaign yesterday with a buddy of mine and there were these two elderly dames behind us and they kept talking about the most random stuff. It was more funny than it was annoying.

Lady 01: "You know, when I used to change the channels on my television, it was instantaneous, but lately they've just been taking longer to change!"

Lady 02: "Oh my God, I know! I was just thinking the same thing! You know, it didn't used to take awhile but the past few years it just takes forever to change."

Lady 01: "Yeah like when I watch my daytime television, I have to wait like five seconds for it to change! It used to do it in a second or two, but now it's so much longer!"

Me to my friend: "It's a fucking conspiracy, man."
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriclite View Post
Think of it like the Scream films: There are rules you need to follow in order to survive at night or day at the movies.

If you're going to see gimmicky, films whose marketing is CLEARLY geared toward the lowest common denominator, and you actually want to pay attention to what's on screen, then you NEED schedule yourself appropriately.

1. DON'T see said film opening night. You are literally just asking for a shitty experience.

You wanna see a film opening night? See something that you are at least 85% sure will be inhabited by adults who actually have to work for their money and attach value to it and can behave. If you tell a teenager about said film and they say it sounds "stupid and boring" that's the movie you should be watching opening night!

2. DO have a list of alternative theatres. Where I lived had a ghetto theater, the new mall multiplex, the old strip mall multiplex, the arthouse/mainstream multiplex. I know exactly what movies I can see at these places and the kind of audiences that frequent those places and chose my movies accordingly.

3. DO get up early and take advantage of AMC's matinee times. Its before 12pm on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and holidays and its about HALF the price of a regular ticket. You are practically guaranteed an uninterrupted moviegoing experience. The theatre can range from being half to less than half full, populated by mainly older people (cause the young people are still sleeping off their late night). However if it is a MEGA marketed film with a mega-star, it could go either way. I saw Am Legend on an early weekend afternoon: PACKED and I had an older woman asking questions behind me. But I was also at the AMC theatre in Times Square. (refer back to Rule #2)

4. DO wait a week or two to see your film on the weekend. The longer you wait, the lower the asshole to movie fan ration drops.

5. DO see movies on the weekdays (not applicable during summer). Go after work if you're not dead tired, or after school if you have the money and the means. The majority of people don't see movies on the weekday and once again less people= less aggravation.

6. DO exercise your rights as a PAYING CUSTOMER. If you go to a restaurant and the food is undercooked or looks bad you send it back. You buy an outfit and there's a rip or a stain you get a refund or a replacement, because that's not what you paid for. You go to the movies to watch and hear a film, NOTHING ELSE. So if someone is hindering your experience you have every right to complain and get a refund. I guarantee if more people reported assholes and asshole teenagers to management or requested refunds for ruined moviegoing experiences, we would see less complaints about people misbehaving in theatres because the theatre management would be strident about getting rid of these people because its costing them money. Word would get out to assholes and they'd make their own lists of theatres they know they can and can't get away with shit at.

You don't have to be n asshole when you do it, and asking for a refund or complaining does not make you an asshole. You say this group is interrupting the movie and yelling and you either want your money back or think they should be ejected.



Sure it sounds like a lot of work just to watch a movie, but if you're a movie fan you have standards. This is what you're passionate about and dammit you want the best experience you can get for what YOU'RE PAYING A SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT OF MONEY FOR!
This just about says it all! I generally follow the emboldened points as much as I can. Generally, I avoid opening weekends unless it's for an indie film (where the jackarse quotient is lower anyway) and generally see movies in the afternoon because 1) it's cheaper and 2) it's still daylight when I leave (though not always in the winter).
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-04-2012, 09:03 PM
That's a very good set of tips for avoiding the moron movie crowd. I'm usually fortunate enough to avoid those crowds but every once in awhile I'll run into an annoying douche when I'm watching a really big film like Ted or The Dark Knight Rises. Basically only when I break rule #1.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-22-2012, 07:14 AM
Personally, I think American society needs more violent confrontations from people who don't look criminal. They take advantage because they don't think you will fight back.

I usually throw things at people who use their phones or talk in theaters. Or kick the seat
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump