Old 08-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Premium Rush

Directed by David Koepp

Written by David Koepp and John Kamps

Genre: Action/Thriller

Plot Outline: In Manhattan, a bike messenger picks up an envelope that attracts the interest of a dirty cop, who pursues the cyclist throughout the city.

Starring: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Michael Shannon, Jamie Chung

Rated PG-13 for some violence, intense action sequences and language

Runtime: 91 minutes

I honestly thought they were just dumping this in August, but apparently it's actually pretty damn good. The reviews have been very positive thus far.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:51 AM

Yeah I was just gonna start a thread about this film.

I'll definitely be seeing it since the reviews have been positive.

Apparently Michael Shannon steals the show.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:41 AM
It looks OKAY. Not great, not terrible.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:02 PM
Didn't Kevin Bacon do this movie 25 years ago? Maybe not the exact same plot but it was bicycle messengers in NYC.

I understand Hollywood is out of original ideas and things need to be revisited. But if an idea sounded dull 25 years ago its probably still going to be dull today. Just sayin.......
Old 08-23-2012, 12:17 PM
90% on RT after 22 reviews.

Sitting at a 70 on Metacritic after only 5 reviews.

Feedback seems positive.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysyringe View Post
Didn't Kevin Bacon do this movie 25 years ago? Maybe not the exact same plot but it was bicycle messengers in NYC.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091814/

That movie owns. I wonder if it got a blu-ray release yet. Premium Rush looks like a rental/netflix for me.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Im going to see this pry on video cuz I will watch anything with JGL. Dude is one of, if not my favorite actor(s).

but the trailers for this make it seem like:

JGL is just a dick, if he just gave Michael Shannon the envelope, he could have just went on his merry way! But JGL has to say "once it's in the bag..."! Just seems like the movie is going to be one where, one VERY simple thing could render the movie pointless!

Just a small thing that has annoyed me from the trailers!

David Koepp is a great writer, and his directing credits have been pretty solid so far
Old 08-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Definitely checking this out, especially because I enjoy and trust Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Michael Shannon's general tastes in projects. Looks like a really fun time at the theater.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysyringe View Post

I understand Hollywood is out of original ideas and things need to be revisited. But if an idea sounded dull 25 years ago its probably still going to be dull today. Just sayin.......
Want to know something even weirder? Kevin Bacon starred in Stir of Echoes which was directed by.... David Koepp!

The conspiracy is bigger than you think.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:23 PM
I'm very surprised by the reviews for this. I thought it looked like potentially goofy fun, but now I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing it.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:20 PM
As a former New York Messenger this is a must see for me.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Silliness is sometimes an under-appreciated element in films, because when it is executed well it can make for something pretty special. Action films that are silly, in particular, can make for joyous and gleeful affairs. Life is pretty silly, after all. Not everything is grim and dour and dark like so many action movies tend to be these days. This isn’t always a bad thing, but a counterpoint can be nice too. Premium Rush is that counterpoint. It is incredibly silly, as evidenced from the premise itself. A bike messenger action film? Ridiculous. But for a certain audience member, that kind of ridiculousness might be right up their alley. It mostly was for me.

Premium Rush’ best aspects are its pace and its construction. The film is an appropriately short 90 minutes and it absolutely flies. The film never stops, filled with chase scene after chase scene and stunts that seem absolutely real. Director David Koepp and his DP Mitchell Amundsen shot the film viscerally, with moving cameras that get right up in the action. New York City and all of its streets, alleys, shops, and taxi cabs are vibrantly captured with speed and force. This certainly gets the adrenaline pumping and makes for a tight, breathless ride that looks great.

Intermixed with the plethora of chases are Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Wilee (like the Coyote) and Michael Shannon as a corrupt, gambling-addicted NYPD detective. None of the other characters matter, even though Dania Ramirez rides the hell out of her bike too. Joseph is quietly charismatic and snarky, and he sells the bike messenger gig. This is really Michael Shannon’s movie, though, and he’s positively absurd. Eyes bulging, voice wavering, hands flailing; Shannon, capable of great anger and fear, plays this film the absolute right way, with over-the-top buffoonery. Few performances are as gleefully zany as Shannon’s, and in his hands the film becomes hilarious. It is clear that everyone here knew what type of tone to strike. Nobody could possibly take this film seriously, and there are coincidences and contrivances that suggest that nobody did. Perhaps I’m giving this all too much credit, but it felt like my laughter was intentional.

On the other hand, things do get a bit serious. The film uses lots of great visual tricks and gags, including a ticking clock and cool sequences of Wilee imagining various bike routes (almost like a 6th sense). What it also does is play with the linearity of the narrative, slowly releasing past pieces of the puzzle that make it clear just why everyone is chasing everyone else. This is an effective technique and makes for some nice respites from the breakneck pace, but the film falters when it attempts profundity. Some works are simply better left as goofy confections, and that would have been the case here. Luckily Premium Rush never strays too far into the serious, and David Koepp shows appropriate balance. There’s just enough weight for the film to not be completely vapid, and more than enough silliness and fun for you just not to care. Appropriate balance indeed.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:02 PM
If my theater is any indication, this movie is going to bomb big time. The show is about to begin and there are a total of 6 people in here.

Got to go, it's starting.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz68 View Post
If my theater is any indication, this movie is going to bomb big time. The show is about to begin and there are a total of 6 people in here.

Got to go, it's starting.
Just saw the Friday numbers debuting at #8 Well at least i will have the theatre to myself.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:13 PM
It was decent. Michael Shannon owns this movie and had me cracking up thru out it. He definitely stole the show and I was actually rooting for him as the film went along.
Some of the bike messengers were kinda dicks and unlikable.

Overall, definitely worth seeing but probably not in theaters.

7/10
Old 08-25-2012, 04:05 PM
I didn't care for this movie at all. The whole selling point of this movie was getting to see some exciting, heart stopping, edge of your seat chase scenes. What we get is a guy riding through traffic, dodging cars every so often. A good chase scene can really put you on the edge of your seat and makes you say "wow" when it's over, there was nothing in this movie that even came close to giving me that feeling.

Michael Shannon was good, but there's nothing memorable about his performance. All of the other actors were decent, but there really wasn't much acting going on, given the plot.

One thing that really bothered me about the film was
Spoiler:
Michael Shannon's character being executed in the middle of the street. It felt way out of place given the tone of the movie. This was more of a light-hearted chase flick, and suddenly BOOM, dude gets one to the brain.

The best thing about this movie was Dania Ramirez. Now that is one sexy, toned woman.

Save your money and wait until this is available for rental.

5/10
Old 08-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
It was decent. Michael Shannon owns this movie and had me cracking up thru out it. He definitely stole the show and I was actually rooting for him as the film went along.
Some of the bike messengers were kinda dicks and unlikable.

Overall, definitely worth seeing but probably not in theaters.

7/10
This.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:06 PM
6/10. JGL was solid enough as Wilee but his character is such an arrogant douche I didn't root for him at all. Also, the latina chick, as hot as she is, is a DREADFUL actress. She always made me cringe in Entourage, too (and also extremely erect).

Michael Shannon was worth the price of admission.

One thing that always bothers me about less-than-stellar written chase movies:

Spoiler:
Despite the fact that this is basically life and death for Nami's child, and it's all on JGL, all the characters have the wherewithall and time to jibber jabber back and forth and talk shit on their bikes.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:17 AM
I wish my time as a New York messenger had been as exciting as some of the scenes in Premium Rush.
My messenger days consisted of glares from receptionists if my manifest was damaged or if i told them it needed
to be signed for by the recipient on the package,and riding or waiting for freight elevators meant for trucks even
though at times i was only carrying an envelope.
This fast paced tale of Bike Messenger Wilee (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) who picks up an envelope from his ex-girlfriends,
Vanessa's (Dania Ramirez)roommate, Nima (Jamie Chung) and then is pursued by a bad ,degenerate gambler N.Y.P.D detective
Bobby Monday ( a scenery chewing and then some Michael Shannon)
for the contents of the envelope,is stylish and fun for the most part.
Gordon-Levitt is his usual charming and capable self.
I liked being visually placed on every chance taking curve along with Wilee,and his "Spider-Sense" premonition of what may
happen when he chose a certain snake like path through the crowded streets of Manhattan.
The running gag of him being pursued by a bike cop was very funny.
What didnt work and took the wind out of the sails of the film was a subplot involving a fellow B.M named Manny (Wolé Parks)
who has some lame rivalry going for Vanessa and who's the fastest B.M. The character of Manny is one of the most
obnoxious characters i have ever seen on the big screen.
There are a few more corny moments but aside from that P.R mainly gets everything else right.How to get to point A to B,
grabbing a bite to eat between jobs,and maneuvering through the hot Summer streets of N.Y.C

Scale of 1-10 a 7½
Old 09-07-2012, 02:23 PM
my web site

I higly reocmmed it i enjoyed it kiind of like trapotter but with a bike you can read my reviw at

http://home.comcast.net/~heathjack/s...ater_Reveiws_/

be sure to check out my web site

http://home.comcast.net/~heathjack/site/?/home/
Old 12-26-2012, 12:22 PM
not as much pursuit as i wanted and more "comedy" than i expected .... not a bad movie but not the bad-ass movie the trailer led me to believe.

basically a movie your 9 yo niece could watch