Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Horror Movie talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2004, 12:12 AM
Hey guys- guess what's on AMC right now? "Inside-out bear!" Ahhh!!!

Just wanted to see if anyone is up or were up watching AMC's Fear Friday presentation of the one, the only - Prophecy (1979). You know? the beloved thing some of you schmoes have previously tortured me with??? Yea, THAT movie.

Was just flicking channels and caught it on. My damned morbid curiousity now has rendered me powerless against changing channels. I am now, once again, the victim of the "inside out" bear. Help me god - for surely I will not sleep tonight.

*goes back to staring at TV, frozen with fear*
Old 02-07-2004, 01:20 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
Hey sometime check out the movie Grizzly
it is good and the bear is huge.

I did not watch this on tv but I have the video and my Husband got all the music cue's one day untitled and I helped him name some of them. Like the cue played when the ducks were swimming and one was attacked I proudly got to name that Duck Death.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:29 AM
I dont know what it was skweem, but when I saw this flick I ended up really hating it for some reason. It just didnt do it for me, I think it was the creature itself which I didnt dig much.

But I did like the confrontation between the indian people and the ones who wanted to tear down the forest.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Prophecy (1979)- 6/10

Really, I must admit that I enjoyed this pretentious B-movie. The effects are cheap (just the way I like them) and them movie is definately light on horror, but the characters are driven and have depth, the script is rather intelligent, and the the acting is actually well done.

Of course, it's a mixed bag, sometimes it's just silly (the dog tried to commit suicide!) and other times it was dead pan serious.

The exploding sleeping bag scene was worth it though.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Some spoliers.

---------------------------------

Prophecy this is a truly horrible movie and so I completely recommend it. It did bring back some great memories. The exploding sleeping bag scene made me laugh. Its perfect! This scene was in the trailer and played on TV. When my brother and sister and I saw the ad on TV we laughed so hard we almost peed our individual pants.

Also, there is a scene where the group is hiding in a underground tunnel for the prophecy muto-bear to go away. Prophecy Bear is silent for several minutes and so one of them decides its safe and climbs up the ladder, only to have his face re-arranged in a design more closely aligned with the Prophecy's face-design sense. I love that scene. SO predictable, but funny because of its predictability.

This was a perfect horror movie morality play. The paper mill was using mercury in their paper milling process. This type of mess with the environment and it will mess with you - plot happens over and over again in the seventies. You don't really see that quite in the same way anymore.

This movie is avail. on DVD. I already have my copy. What about you?
Old 02-09-2004, 03:08 PM
I don't know if it's the one of the movies you guys were talking about but I did catch a little bit of this one film on amc, it was towards the end and involved some giant grizzly bear attacking people.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:43 AM
It must, MUST be known that I love this movie not for it's genuis or the beautiful, tranquil scenery of the Maine woods, or even Robert Foxworth's era worthy perm but because - when I was little, when it came out in '79 - it FUCKED me up for LIFE!!! And it's that heart-pounding anticipation of nostalgia that drives me to love ol' Inside-Out Bear.

It just tapped into one of my most primal fears and having done so, renders me powerless even as a woman on the brink of turning 35. To this day, I feel that little repressed twinge of tense and suspense as CHEESY as it is because it invokes great feeling of "kid vulnerability." And I love that.

I love you Inside Out Bear. Despite the bowel-turning fear you birthed in me. I love you. *sniff*
Old 02-10-2004, 01:05 AM
I always forget about the twist ending. Makes ya really want to eat some fish eh?

You gotta love Armand Asante as a native American though. Um, guys... he's not.. never mind.

Of course you've seen Food of the Gods. Right? Has a simliar twist. Not the same, But also another "Nature Bats Last" movie that the 70's was so good at.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:48 AM
i realllly wanna see this film, but i cant find the damn thing anywhere near me

off to ebay i go
Old 02-10-2004, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by skweemkween
when I was little, when it came out in '79 - it FUCKED me up for LIFE!!!

Yeah, this movie disturbed me as a kid too.
In particular, the aformentioned sleeping-bag scene and the scene where the helicopter pilot is tied to a gurney and Inside-Out Bear just casually walks by and rips the poor guy`s head off!
Old 02-11-2004, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Elgyn
In particular, the aformentioned sleeping-bag scene and the scene where the helicopter pilot is tied to a gurney and Inside-Out Bear just casually walks by and rips the poor guy`s head off!
Oh Christ. Ya had to remind me just as I'm about to go to bed. Why do I keep on reading. Why?
Old 02-11-2004, 11:59 AM
I dont know about anyone else but I have to see this movie!

Sounds like my cup of joe....I think Ill make it a Blockbuster night.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:04 PM
i found some pics of skweem's beloved "inside out bear", so i thought i'd share them w/the rest of you...

here goes...

<holds skweem's hand>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inside out bear.jpg (9.1 KB, 161 views)
Old 02-12-2004, 03:05 PM
and another...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inside out bear 2.jpg (16.0 KB, 151 views)
Old 02-12-2004, 03:06 PM
another one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inside out bear 3.jpg (9.4 KB, 148 views)
Old 02-12-2004, 03:06 PM
here's the last one (i promise, skweem)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inside out bear 4.jpg (9.2 KB, 146 views)
Old 02-12-2004, 03:07 PM
The last one is one of the last frames of the movie. Funny scene. Makes me laugh every time.

How did you do the frame capture?
Old 02-12-2004, 03:08 PM
i didn't...i found these pics on a site

Death to Beth

~darchangel~
Old 02-17-2004, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by darchangel
i didn't...i found these pics on a site

Death to Beth

~darchangel~
AAHHHHHHHHHH!!!! AAAHHHH!!!!! AHHH!!!! Damn you darchangel, "Damn you all to hhhhell!"*

And with that said, what do I go and do? I buy the official Prophecy press book off ebay. I'm a dead man. er, woman.

*vague obscure Charleton Heston reference.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:49 PM
I have to admit that the pictures of that thing are f-in' TERRIFYING! I totally don't judge anyone for being scared.

"be you angels?"
Old 02-18-2004, 05:11 PM
WTF is going on with this movie?

I've never seen it but those pictures Darchangel posted are really creepy.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:27 PM
Ya gotta watch it to understand. I think the thing is funny. Funny like Evil Dead II funny. But thats me. I seem to be in the minority here.

You can rent the movie via netflix or purchase it outright.

Classic 70's Horror.

-mice
Old 02-18-2004, 06:12 PM
I finally broke down and ordered this from Amazon. And I'll share my oft-told tale of seeing the uncut version of this movie before it was released WAY back in the day. It was WAY gorier, the shots lingering longer, such as when the guy crawls under the chain fence. In the cut I saw, you hear more crunching and see more blood sprayed on his face. I saw this with maybe 3 other friends and when it was released weeks later, we told everyone to go see it; well, the version released (PG) was a watered down version and less effective. I had hoped to see a director's cut, but sadly, John Frankenheimer died and we'll probably never see that version unless someone out there has a copy stashed somewhere.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:03 AM
It might be cut but it's still THE bloodiest PG rated movie in my opinion
Another thing I love about Prophecy is the score. Anybody notice that demonic-like humming sound that can be heard in the background? Always gives me the creeps ...
Old 02-19-2004, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by edit
It might be cut but it's still THE bloodiest PG rated movie in my opinion :)
Another thing I love about Prophecy is the score. Anybody notice that demonic-like humming sound that can be heard in the background? Always gives me the creeps ...
Yep, I notice that music. Eerie as hell. I had a dream about the Inside-out-bear last night, like I did last year. Trust me people, he's waaaay freakier in your dreams! Imagine getting chased by that thing while trying to hide. Brrrrrrrr....
Old 02-19-2004, 10:08 AM
I haven't seen the DVD, or the movie, for a long time and I'm looking forward to a little blast from the past when I get it delivered. Should come the same time my new surround speakers arrive.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Elgyn

Holy shit! I saw that when I was a kid and it fucked me up big time!! I never knew what film you were talking about, but when you mentioned that scene, it all came flooding back.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:28 PM
What the hell is the mutant that rears his head up before the end credits?! That scared the hell out of me!
Old 02-21-2004, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by psycho path
What the hell is the mutant that rears his head up before the end credits?! That scared the hell out of me!
I always assumed that was Inside-Out Bear`s mate.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:36 AM
Intersting. I just assumed that was the prophecy bear. I never got that there were two of them.

It always made me laugh because they were clearly out of danger. And then the bear comes into view. Just silly.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:09 AM
It didn't really resemble a bear, it looked like a...well, I dont know...It's nose is wierd. It freaked me out because, not to brag or anything, but I have a bigass widescreen T.V.(61 inches), and seeing that "thing" popping up out of nowhere terrified me. I feel so ashamed...

And am I the only one who noticed that it looked way more realistic then inside-out-bear?

Last edited by psycho path; 02-22-2004 at 09:11 AM..
Old 02-22-2004, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by miceland1
Intersting. I just assumed that was the prophecy bear. I never got that there were two of them.

You weren`t supposed to think there were two during the movie - I thought at the very end that was supposed to be Inside-Out Bear`s mate, and it was supposed to be a 'surprise' ending.
Also leaving the door open for a sequel (which, obviously, never happened).
Old 02-25-2004, 01:27 PM
I can't tell you how happy I am to have found this site!!!

I can't believe I actually get to discuss this classic film. I tried to get my fiance to watch it not too long ago & she refused to watch any further than . . .

*** SPOILER ***

THE MUTANT TADPOLE!!!! So obviously she didn't get to experience the fury of the mental raccoon & the drama of the sleeping bag dance.

I was also traumatized by this flick as a kid.

To quote Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla, "History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man!"
Old 02-25-2004, 03:11 PM
While the DVD isn't the greatest transfer ever, this skill of John Frankenheimer is evident. I absolutely LOVE the scene where the music builds and builds, stops, and THEN the monster shows up. A fun movie, but nothing to keep me out of the woods, unless its near a pulp mill!
Old 03-03-2004, 08:45 AM
Quote:
love you Inside Out Bear. Despite the bowel-turning fear you birthed in me. I love you. *sniff*
Qweenie, I still remember your love for inside out bear when my previous incarnation was Lady S.

True confession time: I found Prophecy kinda creepy at 3 am in the morning, trying to laugh but seizing with fear as the Bear destroyed the cabin near the end of the movie.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:38 AM
okay, so over spring break i finally got the chance to watch Prophecy (referred to often as "inside out bear")...here are my thoughts on it...

SPOILERS!!!

umm...okay...nothing happens for like the first hour of the movie!!! they talk about mercury poisoning!! Inside out bear is only in the movie for like the last half an hour!!!

second, i totally agree with everyone else that inside out bear is obviously a guy in a bear suit by anyone's standards...

third, THESE CHARACTERS ARE FUCKING MORONS!!! i WANTED them to end up a chew toy for a mutant grizzly!!! here are some points that the characters may want to look at:

to the main character guy (or grizzy adams lite, as i will call him):

*hmmm...let's see....you can't seem to figure out what's wrong with your wife even though she gets really agitated and asks suspicious questions whenever you mention mercury's effects on the fetus....hmmmm....SHE'S PREGNANT, YOU FUCKING CUM STAIN!!!! DUH!!!!!!

to everyone else in the movie:

* give back the damn bear cubs!!! you idiots!!! a entire forest full of mutated eight foot long fish and tadpoles the size of a potbellied pig and you need the BEAR CUBS as proof of poisoning!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!

* why why WHY does the old native american guy find it necessary to try to make sweet love to the goddamned bear every time it shows up!! RUN FORREST, RUN!!!!

* the sherriff waits all of ten seconds before popping his head out of the tunnel!!! yeah, he deserved what he got

* the kid in the sleeping bag...i can't even comment on how stupid that was, even though i'm sure he got a guinness world record for being the only person to potato sack race till he died

*the developer trying to fit his fat ass under the chain link fence while inside out bear is gaining speed...honestly, it's no wonder a mentally retarded mutant bear is killing you people left and right

...and those are my thoughts on Prophecy (Inside Out Bear).

thank you for your time.

Death to Beth

~darchangel~
Old 03-24-2004, 11:47 AM
Is there a trailer anywhere on the net?
Old 03-24-2004, 12:50 PM
Quote:

* the kid in the sleeping bag...i can't even comment on how stupid that was, even though i'm sure he got a guinness world record for being the only person to potato sack race till he died

I love that scene. It's hilarious and jaw dropping the same time
Old 03-24-2004, 03:54 PM
I caught this Friday night. It was nice to still get the willies just because the movie scared me as a kid and also realizing how awful it really is. My goodness that bear is horrible.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:06 PM
Quote:

SPOILERS!!!

* give back the damn bear cubs!!! you idiots!!! a entire forest full of mutated eight foot long fish and tadpoles the size of a potbellied pig and you need the BEAR CUBS as proof of poisoning!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!
LOL, good point! I never really understood why the female lead wanted to bring the cubs.

Quote:
*the developer trying to fit his fat ass under the chain link fence while inside out bear is gaining speed...honestly, it's no wonder a mentally retarded mutant bear is killing you people left and right
Heheheh

...P.S. - I have to ask, who is Beth?