Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Video Games
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 06:58 AM
Official thread for NINTENDO WII U

official Date for Japan

Nintendo will sell Wii U in two configurations in Japan, president Satoru Iwata said Thursday in a livestreamed presentation.

The new console, to be released on December 8 in Nintendo’s home territory, will be sold in Premium and Basic packages. The Premium Set will retail for 31,500 yen (about $405) and include the Wii U console, the GamePad touchscreen controller, AC adapters for both pieces of hardware and an HDMI cable. It will also include a membership to “Nintendo Network Premium,” which gives users discounts on their purchases of digital Wii U software. Finally, it will come with 32 GB of onboard storage for downloadable games.

The Basic Set, which will retail for 26,250 yen (about $337), will include the console and GamePad plus 8 GB of storage.

Based on Nintendo’s historical price points, the Japanese 31,500 and 26,250 yen prices point to U.S. prices of about $300 and $250, assuming Nintendo of America announces similar configurations during its show tomorrow.

Two configurations would seem to be Nintendo’s attempt to have a lower-priced Wii U bundle aimed at price-conscious casual gamers, while tempting the hardcore early adopters with a more expensive package.

Nintendo will not be packing a game in with either of the Wii U sets. In the U.S., the Wii was originally bundled with Wii Sports. Will Nintendo put launch title NintendoLand in the box for the American audience? We’ll find out at 7 a.m. tomorrow during the Nintendo of America presentation.

Our liveblog coverage begins below.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata will unveil the price, release date and other release details for the upcoming Wii U console’s debut in Japan in a streaming presentation set to begin at midnight Pacific time on Thursday.

Wii U is expected to release worldwide during 2012 and come in under the $300 or 30,000 yen mark. Whether it’ll be one penny under that mark, or significantly less, will be revealed soon. Wired will liveblog the presentation in this post Thursday morning.

The Japanese details should give us a clue as to when Nintendo plans to drop Wii U in the U.S. Nintendo of America will officially reveal the price, date and other information about Wii U’s stateside launch in New York City later on Thursday morning, at 7 a.m. Pacific.

11:58: And here we go. Livestream starts in two minutes. Apparently it’ll be 20 minutes in length. There’s actually another livestream for the Japanese audience that will be broadcast simultaneously with the American press briefing, containing new Wii U software announcements. So the briefing that’s about to begin will be restricted mostly to info about the hardware itself.

12:00: Starts right on time. Iwata’s on screen explaining that this presentation is about the hardware, and third party software will be discussed during the next presentation later in the day.

12:01: Iwata is going over Wii U’s upgrades, like HD graphics. Looks like there’ll be 2 GB of RAM on board, 1 GB for games and 2 GB for the system software.

12:02: He’s going over all of the things that having more RAM does for you, like faster load times, etc. Discs will be 25 GB in capacity.

12:03: Wii’s energy requirements: 75 watts.

12:04: You can move your WiiWare and Virtual Console games from the Wii over to the Wii U. (We knew this already.)

12:05: Going over previously known features of the Wii U GamePad.

12:06: Talking about latency — how the GamePad interacts with the TV with no perceptible lag between the two screens.

12:07: Going over what the original Wii hardware was like, how it brought people together into the living room to play games. The idea of Wii U, Iwata says, is you can bring people together to play, or just play by yourself (using the Wii U GamePad as a personal screen).

12:10: Other possible uses of the Wii U GamePad: Have the map and other HUD data for a game on the lower screen, instead of cluttering up the TV! (Yes, yes. We’ve heard this a million times…)

12:11: In the history of TV videogames, Iwata says, this is the first time a home game system lets you play games even if you don’t use the TV.

12:12: Talking up two launch titles, New Super Mario Bros. U and NintendoLand.

12:13: This is the first Mario game to launch with a Nintendo home console since Super Mario 64 in 1996, he says. They’ll be released on the same day as Wii U in Japan. In both disc and download versions.

12:14: The Wii U Pro Controller will launch in both black and white for 5,040 yen (about $50).

12:15: Wii U stand, Wii U Game Pad stand and Wii U Game Pad charging stand will also launch. The Wii U Game Pad will include an AC Adapter and sell for about 13,000 yen (about $150).

12:16: They’re doing two SKUs for Wii U hardware.

12:17: Premium Set: Wii U Hardware, AC Adapter, Wii U GamePad, Game Pad AC Adapter, and HDMI Cable.

Basic Set: 8 GB of onboard storage for digital games, Premium Set: 32 GB.

The Premium Set will include a membership into “Nintendo Network Premium,” which will give users 10% off digital software purchases as well as other benefits.

The Premium Set will also include the stands for the system and the Game Pad.

12:18: They’ll sell a Wii Remote, Nunchuk and Sensor Bar as a set for customers who don’t already have it.

Premium Set: 31,500 yen. Basic Set: 26,250. That’s roughly $350 and $300, but would point to $300 and $250 bundles in the U.S. if the bundles are identical.

Release date for Japan: December 8.

source: wired.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiiu-price-date-japan.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	10580  

Last edited by Ruly2; 09-13-2012 at 07:39 AM..
Old 09-13-2012, 07:46 AM
I don't wanna complain, but, 8gb? Really? I understand Microsoft has done that recently, but that system is $200 and is released for children. Even the 32gb model sounds like a ripoff--especially if we're expected to download a lot of content from the Wii U Shop.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:20 AM
THE OFFICIAL DATE FOR THE USA!!!

Nintendo's Wii U is launching in the U.S. on November 18 for $299.99 and $349.99

Nintendo has finally announced a launch date for its Wii U, in addition to offering up some more details on its upcoming console.

The company's COO Reggie Fils-Aime announced today that Nintendo will launch the Wii U on November 18. The console will come in two versions. A basic set will be offered, featuring the Wii U console with 8GB of memory, the Wii U Gamepad, an HDMI cable, and sensor bar. A Deluxe set will get all of the same features, but adds a charging pad, stands for the controller, additional memory of 32GB, and Nintendo Land.

Looking for Wii remotes? According to Fils-Aime, the console will work with those customers are already using on the Wii. That's probably good news for current Wii owners. According to Fils-Aime, Nintendo has sold over 100 million Wii remotes and 65 million nunchuks.

The Basic set will cost customers $299.99, while the Deluxe set will set customers back $349.99.

CNET.com

Last edited by Ruly2; 09-13-2012 at 09:36 AM..
Old 09-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
I don't wanna complain, but, 8gb? Really? I understand Microsoft has done that recently, but that system is $200 and is released for children. Even the 32gb model sounds like a ripoff--especially if we're expected to download a lot of content from the Wii U Shop.
^This.

I can imagine that the WiiU isn't going to be a media player like the PS3 or 360 are but only 8 or 32 gig? Come on. You can't find Flash drives smaller then 8 or so gigs half the time these days.

I know i rag on Nintendo's decisions over the past few years but come on. What purpose does having 8 gig internal memory really serve? They say its expandable by usb, ok but does that now mean i'd have to go drop another $50+ on an external drive?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Nintendo Wii U gamepad not for sale separately in US until games support multiple controllers

By Ben Gilbert posted Sep 13th 2012 9:19PM

Nintendo's Wii U gamepad may be the star of the Wii U show, but it won't be available as a standalone at launch. It will, however, be available when games that function with more than one WiiPad become available, according to Nintendo America CEO and prez Reggie Fils-Aime. "Through the launch window, there are no games that leverage a second controller. And so, during the launch window here in NOA [Nintendo of America] territories, we will not be selling at retail a second gamepad," he told investors during a Q&A this afternoon. "But certainly, when the games come out, we'll be making that accessory available," he added. As for when games will take advantage of a second WiiPad is another question altogether, and one that Nintendo isn't willing to answer just yet.

Initially, the Wii U only supported one WiiPad per game, with additional control handled via the Pro controller or Wii remotes. Nintendo changed its tune, though, following public outcry for multiple WiiPad support.
Source

Are you kidding me? There are NO games that support 2 of the new WiiU controlers? The entire selling point of this new system and you can't even play 2 player games with it. Wow. Also, what happens if this thing breaks? I can't just buy a replacement? I have to send it in for repair thus not having the ability to play the system for weeks?

Nintendo continues to absolutely baffle me with their decisions.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:11 PM
WiiPad price| accessories box art| inforgraphic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
Source

Are you kidding me? There are NO games that support 2 of the new WiiU controlers? The entire selling point of this new system and you can't even play 2 player games with it. Wow. Also, what happens if this thing breaks? I can't just buy a replacement? I have to send it in for repair thus not having the ability to play the system for weeks?
At first I though the WiiPad would cost around $70-80 but now Im heaning that the Wii U tablet controller may get slapped with an unheard of $179 and that games will be between $49-$59.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Accessories
Accessories available for the Wii U include the Pro Controller, a $50 wireless dual analog controller. A new microphone will be sold separately, for use with Sing Party. Other accessories include charging cradles and stands for the GamePad, a vertical stand for the system, and Wii Remote Plus controllers, Nunchuks, and Sensor Bars in Wii U-branded boxes.
Source

here is a look at the new Wii U accessory box art:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nintendo will launch the Wii U with two models: the white “Basic” model, which includes the console, GamePad, AC adapter for the console and the controller, HDMI cable, a sensor bar, and 8 GB internal storage. The black “Deluxe set” adds some additional goodies, including stands for the console and controller, 32 GB of storage, and a copy of Nintendo Land. Nintendo released two infographics showcasing the two models, what’s included in the box, and some photos of the added accessories
http://wiiudaily.com/2012/09/wii-u-i...he-new-models/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wii-u-infographic-2-640x604.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	10584   Click image for larger version

Name:	wii-u-infographic-1-640x604.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	10585  

Last edited by Ruly2; 09-14-2012 at 02:51 PM..
Old 09-14-2012, 02:34 PM
How much money will the WiiU accessories be?

Wii U Rainbow Stylus - $9.99
Wii U Write & Protect pack for the WiiPad - $9.99
Wii U Nerf Armor Starter Kit for the WiiPad - $19.99
Wii U Nunchuk Controller [Black] - $19.99
Universal HDMI Cable 10ft - $19.99
Wii U Energizer Charging System - $29.99
Wii U Remote Plus [ White,Black,Pink or Blue] - $39.99
Wii U Pro Controller [ Black or White] - $49.99
Source

Lets diesect the 32GB shall we?:

Nintendo Wii U 32GB Deluxe Set

•Copy of Nintendo Land -$59.99
•32 GB internal memory for storage - ??
•Wii U Console in Black - $349
•Wii U GamePad in Black -??
•Wii U AC Adapter - ??
•Wii U GamePad AC Adapter - $20 [estimate]
•High Speed HDMI Cable- around $19 [ cost is depending on lengh of cord]
•Sensor Bar - around $20
•Wii U GamePad Cradle - $20 [estimate]
•Wii U GamePad Stand - $20 [estimate]
•Wii U Console Stand -$20 [estimate]

Last edited by Ruly2; 09-14-2012 at 02:44 PM..
Old 09-14-2012, 02:42 PM
I can't wait to see how this turns out in terms of sales.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post

Nintendo continues to absolutely baffle me with their decisions.
You can just pay $300 and get a new one and it'll come with an additional Wii U
Old 09-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
You can just pay $300 and get a new one and it'll come with an additional Wii U
I didn't want to say it, glad you did
Old 09-14-2012, 08:01 PM
I was at GameStop today and I overheard they've already fulfilled the preorders for one of the packaged consoles, I think it's the $300 version I'm not sure.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:10 AM
As excited as I am to see and play this console, I gotta pass on purchasing it for now.

I've learned from the previous generation that buying release-day consoles isn't a smart move (Shitty 360 design comes to mind). The rush on releasing a product to market decreases the quality on the good; waiting another year to pick it up will let Nintendo work out the chinks and release a sturdier console.

Same goes for the next Micro$oft and Sony console.

Besides, the PC resurgence is keeping me happy.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Report: Wii U Deluxe Package Sold Out at GameStop; Walmart Creates Expensive Bundle

The early bird gets to pick up a Nintendo Wii U Deluxe package from their local GameStop at midnight on November 18. The rest of us will have to concoct a plan "B."
Friday afternoon I called one of my local GameStop stores with the intent of confirming they were taking pre-orders for the Wii U Deluxe package (the $349.99 one that blows the basic package out of the water). Upon confirmation, I was going to run down to the store to formally put down a deposit. Since the GameStop employee said hello with a canned message about now taking Wii U pre-orders, I thought it would be quick and painless.

Instead of hopping into the car to lock up a Wii U for pickup, I was informed that GameStop stores nationwide had been flooded with Wii U Deluxe package pre-orders. They got so many that early Friday the console's availability was removed from their system entirely. You could still pre-order the Wii U basic package, but the Deluxe was off the table across the country.

Currently my plan "B" is jumping into a pre-order at BestBuy.com and selecting in-store pickup. That's not necessarily a guarantee that one will be available on launch day with my name on it. Right now it's the best option available without having to rely on getting it post-launch while waiting for it to ship.

With how quickly the Wii U Deluxe package sold out at GameStop, don't be surprised if other retailers start putting together $400 and up bundles of their own to try and sell more software. Hey look; Walmart already has.
http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Wii-U-...e-Bundle/11234
Old 09-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Wallmart's Nintendo Wii U Solution Bundle in details

Name of Product: Nintendo Wii U Solution Bundle w/ Customer Choice of Wii U Game and Wii Remote Plus
Package price: $399.00

Item Description
Wii U Bundle w/ Choice of Game and Remote Includes:
•Your Choice Wii U Console (Basic Set or Deluxe Set) [$249/399 not: Must add $50 (WTF?)]
•Your Choice Wii U Game [$49/$59]
•Your Choice Wii Remote Plus [$19.99]

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nintendo-W...-Plus/21803986

Here is a mock-up I did using the website:

Spoiler:

Your 1 Your Choice Wii U Console

* Nintendo Wii U 32GB Deluxe Console w/ GamePad & Ni...
Adds $50.00

* Your 1 Your Choice Wii U Game
New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U)
[$59.99]

* Your 1 Your Choice Wii Remote Plus (Compatible with Wii and Wii U)
Wii Remote Plus - Blue (Wii)
[$39.99]

*You Added:
Nunchuk Controller - Black (Wii)
[$19.96]

* A Boy and His Blob (Wii)
[$15.00]

Bundle Total:
$483.96

Semi-OT: Here is the Youyube link to the full NINTENDO DIRECT WII U PREVIEW. Video lasts 50min. Must sign into youtube to view..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12vyUOdPXbE
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1113014362355_300X300.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	10588  

Last edited by Ruly2; 09-15-2012 at 09:26 AM..
Old 09-15-2012, 09:02 AM
I love Nintendo. They always give me my favorite systems. Of the 10 greatest games I've ever played, probably 8 were on a Nintendo system.

That said, for some reason... I can't get excited about this. At least not yet. I don't know. Maybe as I get closer to 30 I'm just getting too old for this stuff.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Nintendo's Full Wii U Press Release:

Nintendo today revealed full details about how the new Wii U™ home console and its groundbreaking touch-screen Wii U GamePad controller can revolutionize not only video game play but also the way people find and watch TV and video content. The new HD system will offer entirely new ways for consumers to play games and enjoy their favorite programming when it launches in the Americas on Nov. 18. During the launch window, more than 50 games will be available for Wii U, which will be offered in two different colors and configurations. The Basic Set will be offered in white at a suggested retail price of $299.99, while the Deluxe Set, which includes higher storage capacity, additional accessories and the new Nintendo Land™ video game, will be offered in black at a suggested retail price of $349.99.

At a special Wii U preview event in New York, Nintendo also unveiled Nintendo TVii, an application that will let Wii U owners in the United States and Canada find, watch and engage with their favorite video entertainment in fun new ways. Using the GamePad controller, Nintendo TVii lets viewers seamlessly explore available video content from a variety of sources – including live TV, their TiVo DVR and video-on-demand services such as Netflix – all in one easy-to-use interface.

Additionally, Nintendo shared new information about dozens of games on the way for Wii U, including Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros.™ U, LEGO® City: Undercover, BAYONETTA 2, The Wonderful 101™, Capcom’s Monster Hunter™ 3 Ultimate and Activision’s Call of Duty®: Black Ops II. New Super Mario Bros. U offers unprecedented ways for friends and families to play together and explore Mario’s world using the GamePad. Nintendo Land, which will be available as a standalone game or included with the Wii U Deluxe Set, is a virtual theme park featuring a lineup of 12 playable attractions based on Nintendo’s greatest game worlds, including The Legend of Zelda™, Metroid™, Mario™, Animal Crossing™ and Donkey Kong™. As an added bonus for consumers, a Chase McCain LEGO minifigure will come as a special pre-order bonus for those who pre-order a copy of LEGO City: Undercover at participating retailers while supplies last. All of these games will instantly immerse players in a variety of new game-play experiences that are available only on Wii U.

“The wait is almost over — in just 66 days, Wii U will arrive with the strongest lineup of launch software in Nintendo history,” said Nintendo of America President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime. “With the integrated second screen of the included GamePad and features that instantly enhance the way people play games, watch video and interact with each other, consumers will see how Wii U delivers a completely unique experience and a remarkable value right out of the box. The new system also creates extraordinary new possibilities for game developers, bound only by the limits of their imaginations.”

The Wii U Basic Set includes a white Wii U console with 8 GB of internal storage, one white GamePad controller, AC adapters for both the console and controller, a sensor bar and an HDMI® cable. In the Wii U Deluxe Set, components are black. This bundle includes all elements from the Basic Set, as well as the Nintendo Land game, increased console storage capacity of 32 GB, a console stand, GamePad charging cradle and a stand that allows users to place the GamePad vertically on a table. Consumers who purchase the Deluxe Set also will be enrolled in the Deluxe Digital Promotion, which lets Wii U owners receive points for each digital download and redeem those points for future downloadable content from the Nintendo eShop. The promotion is currently planned through 2014.
Both configurations offer a wealth of one-of-a-kind entertainment experiences, including an online gaming community called Miiverse™ and the new Nintendo TVii application. Using the touch screen on the GamePad controller, Nintendo TVii users will be able to browse programming from sources they subscribe to, including cable and satellite channels, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, YouTube and even their recorded TiVo shows – all from a single starting point.

The selection of third-party games on the way for Wii U will include some of the industry’s biggest names and most beloved franchises. Activision is set to bring several of its leading properties to Wii U during the launch window, including Call of Duty: Black Ops II, Skylanders Giants™ and TRANSFORMERS PRIME™. Other third-party games coming soon to Wii U include Assassin’s Creed® III, ZombiU™, Rayman Legends® and Just Dance® 4 from Ubisoft, Madden NFL 13 and Mass Effect™ 3 from Electronic Arts, Scribblenauts™ Unlimited and Batman: Arkham City™ Armored Edition from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two from Disney Interactive.
“The integrated second screen of the GamePad creates new possibilities for how games can be played, and further reflects the innovation Nintendo has poured into the Wii U,” said Eric Hirshberg, Activision Publishing’s CEO. “We’re excited for our fans to experience the biggest franchises, like Call of Duty: Black Ops II, Skylanders Giants and Transformers Prime, in new ways made possible on Wii U.”

http://hawtwired.com/blogs/news/arch...9/16/1074.aspx
Old 09-16-2012, 12:19 PM
GameStop and BestBuy are both sold| Nintendo replace broken WiiPad for a price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruly2 View Post
sold out at GameStop
[9/16 Update] : It appears the 32GB is the favored option as it is sold out at both BestBuy and Gamestop. The 8GB option is currently available at GameStop, while it is sold out at BestBuy.com. Like most major console launches, it appears that the Wii U will be one of the hot holiday items that will be in stock on a limited baseis and tough to get a hold of...
http://hawtwired.com/blogs/news/arch...9/16/1074.aspx
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nintendo has revealed that it will replace any broken Wii U GamePads for a fee (that’s fee, not free), in case unfortunate players manage to break their controller. Although the specific Wii U warranty details are yet to be unveiled, a Nintendo spokesperson confirmed that it will be possible to replace the tablet controllers, since they won’t be sold separately in stores in the US or Europe.

Nintendo won’t be selling the Wii U GamePad separately in the US (but will in Japan), so what happens when players break their GamePad? That was the question Gimme Gimme Games asked Nintendo, and the reply was that the controller can be replaced. A Nintendo rep said, “individual replacement Wii U GamePad controllers will be available from Nintendo Consumer Service for a fee”.

He didn’t mention what the “fee” was, but it could be considerable, considering the Wii U GamePad will be sold separately in Japan for a hefty $170. The Nintendo rep added that “Nintendo warranties do not cover physical damage”. So don’t expect a free replacement of your GamePad should you abuse it. Like letting your dog play with it.

Nintendo will start selling the GamePad individually in North America and Europe at some point in the future. The Wii U supports up to two tablet controllers at the same time, although when both are used, the game frame rate drops to 30fps.

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/09/broken-gamepads-replace/

(original source: )
http://gimmegimmegames.com/2012/09/b...says-nintendo/

Last edited by Ruly2; 09-16-2012 at 12:29 PM..
Old 09-16-2012, 12:34 PM
official games at launch - Update(s)

According to a recent update on Nintendo’s official site there will be 20 titles for the Wii U on day one. Full list below:

•Assassin’s Creed III
•Black Ops 2
•Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
•Darksiders II
•Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
•ESPN Sports Connection
•Game Party Champions
•Just Dance 4
•MADDEN NFL 13
•Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth
•Mass Effect 3: Special Edition
•NBA 2K13
•New Super Mario Bros. U
•Nintendo Land
•Rayman Legends
•Rabbids Land
•Scribblenauts Unlimited
•Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
•TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 2
•TRANSFORMERS PRIME
•Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013
•ZombiU
http://wegotthiscovered.com/news/wii...es-launch-day/

(update|9/17)

Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Tank! Tank! Tank! Confirmed as Wii U Launch Title

Last edited by Ruly2; 09-17-2012 at 01:55 PM..
Old 09-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Nintendo TVii

TVii comes free with the Wii U (subscriptions to other services are required), but Nintendo was unclear about when the service would go into operation. It is rolling out initially across the U.S. and Canada, and could be brought to other countries at a later time.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57...vii-for-wii-u/

The Wii U GamePad is your universal remote
The Wii U GamePad is your universal remote
It was easy to miss in Nintendo's press conference, but the main thrust of the TVii experience is that the Wii U GamePad is an uber-universal remote for your living room. The GamePad itself sends out remote commands via a built-in IR blaster, so it can control your cable box and TV. At least that's the pitch; it's tough to tell without trying it out whether it will achieve the simplicity of a great, activity-based universal remote like a Logitech Harmony. Full control of all your gear is exactly what Google TV's been trying to do, but its overcomplicated remotes have doomed it. The TVii's touch-pad-centered interface seems like a much smarter, less intimidating approach.

Cross-platform browsing and search
TVii also attempts to unify all your video content (streaming, live TV, and recorded shows) into a single integrated interface. You browse or search for a show, and TVii tells you where you can watch it.
Again, the ability to browse and search video content -- regardless of where it resides -- is exactly the pitch for Google TV. But so far the TVii's interface looks a lot easier to use, especially since you're navigating a touch screen, rather than an onscreen interface. (The Xbox 360 can also search through live TV content through its specialized Fios and Comcast apps, but those apps don't offer all the channels available on your cable box.)
Still, there's plenty of reason for skepticism over how well Nintendo will be able to integrate with cable and satellite DVRs. While Nintendo touted TVii's TiVo integration, other TV providers weren't mentioned, although Nintendo says it will work with all major cable and satellite providers, plus over-the-air broadcasts. But the devil is in the details; Google TV technically works with all cable and satellite providers, but only offers deep integration with Dish Network. If Nintendo is similarly limited to TiVo, it won't work as seamlessly as you'd like with other DVRs.

Worthwhile second-screen information?
TVii is also promising an interactive second-screen experience on the GamePad's screen when you're watching live and recorded baseball, basketball, and football games. So if you're watching college football, you can use the GamePad to get additional stats and scores, all powered by i.TV. (Regular TV shows and movies will get a less interactive experience with info from IMDb and Wikipedia.)
I'm generally a "second-screen" skeptic, having seen too many underwhelming apps touting a more "immersive experience," but Nintendo's implementation seems like it could actually be worthwhile.
Profiles
TVii also offers the ability to set up individual profiles, so each user can get a customized interface and recommendations. Nothing revolutionary, but it should make it easier to find the content you're looking for, without sifting through channels and recommendations that don't apply to you.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...tv-has-failed/

Last edited by Ruly2; 09-16-2012 at 01:22 PM..
Old 09-25-2012, 01:31 PM
New info straight from a Nintendo Rep.

I spent about a good hour today talk with a Nintendo Representitive. This is what he said:

In reguards to the memory of the Wii U. The system is limitless and there is no maximum size. He said that you would be able to plug in a external harddrive or a external Thumb stick via USB and be able to save you're data

Extra tidbit: the Playstation 3 has a max capacity of 1-5 TB

Last edited by Ruly2; 09-25-2012 at 01:33 PM..
Old 09-25-2012, 02:39 PM
I was pumped to buy the WII U .... the last console i bought was the Gamecube afterall. ZombieU is my main draw so far and there's no reason to buy the cheaper bundle to save 50$.

But now ... i'm not sure. Seems like Nintendo is going the cheap way so you get into their system then gouge you via overpriced accessories and shit.

The new controller is awesome but there's no point to it if no games can be played 2-players with it.

External harddrive capability ? nice but no thanks .... i have a PC for that. The point of a console is that everything you need is supposed to be included.

The reason i like Nintendo so much is that they always challenged the videogame culture ( not always productive ... R.O.B. & Powerglove were shitty , the gun was great but few games , the N64 controller is classic and of course the WII remote ) but the more i learn about WII U , the more it seems like Nintendo is taking the cheap way out. Plz , don't make an half-assed product !

<-Sad Panda
Old 09-26-2012, 07:27 AM
The only thing that might matter to customers/ buyers of the Wii U

I think that there will be only one thing on customers' minds when the system is release on 12/18.

"Where can I get an extra Wii Game tablet?

The ansawer will be "NO. you can't. You'll have to pick up another Wii U if you want an extra Game Tablet" practically everytime.

If you live in Japan only then will the ansawer be a "yes" because in Japan, They will be welling the game tablet separately (from what ive heard and read)
Old 09-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Quote:
I think that there will be only one thing on customers' minds when the system is release on 12/18.

"Where can I get an extra Wii Game tablet?

The ansawer will be "NO. you can't. You'll have to pick up another Wii U if you want an extra Game Tablet" practically everytime.

If you live in Japan only then will the ansawer be a "yes" because in Japan, They will be welling the game tablet separately (from what ive heard and read)
I'd laugh if ppl get told this and do buy the second system not knowing that there are no games that support 2 WiiU motes.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Engadget has posted a list of games from the Launch and a handful of others:

Quote:
Funky Barn - Launch Window
NBA 2K13 - Launch Window
Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Nov. 18
Skylanders Giants - Nov. 18
TRANSFORMERS PRIME - Nov. 18
Wipeout 3 - Nov. 18
007 Legends - Launch Window
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2013 - Launch Window
Rapala Pro Bass Fishing - Launch Window
Chasing Aurora - November
Cloudberry Kingdom - November
Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game - Launch Window
Ben 10 Omniverse - Launch Window
Family Party: 30 Great Games: Obstacle Arcade - Launch Window
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two - Nov. 18
EA SPORTS FIFA Soccer 13 - Nov. 18
Madden NFL 13 - November
Mass Effect 3 - Launch Window
Trine 2: Director's Cut - November
Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - January
Mighty Switch Force HD - November
TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 2 Wii U Edition - Nov. 18
TANK! TANK! TANK! - November
New Super Mario Bros. U - Nov. 18
NINJA GAIDEN 3: Razor's Edge - Nov. 18
Nintendo Land - Nov. 18
SiNG PARTY - Nov. 18
Game & Wario - Launch Window
LEGO City: Undercover - Launch Window
Pikmin 3 - Launch Window
Wii Fit U - Launch Window
The Wonderful 101 - Launch Window
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - Nov. 18
Aliens: Colonial Marines - Launch Window
Nano Assault Neo - November
WARRIORS OROCHI 3 Hyper - Nov. 18
Darksiders II - Nov. 18
JEOPARDY! - Launch Window
Wheel of Fortune - Launch Window
Little Inferno - November
Toki Tori 2 - November
Assassin's Creed III - Nov. 18
ESPN Sports Connection - Nov. 18
Just Dance 4 - Nov. 18
Rabbids Land - Nov. 18
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013 - Nov. 18
ZombiU - Nov. 18
Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth - Launch Window
Rayman Legends - Launch Window
Scribblenauts Unlimited - Nov. 18
Game Party Champions - Nov. 18
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition - Nov. 18
Old 09-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Black ops 2

The Nintendo Rep. told be he has spend alot of time with the new 'Black Ops 2' on the Wii U using the Controller and the tablet. he said that the overall look of the game was that f the Xbox 360 or the PS3 in terms of graphics. He also said that the Launch Window will be from November to March. The Next time he come back to see me and the place I work at.. he will bring the Wii U Display unit. he didn't give me an exact date of return BUT I think he will be at the store the week before ASSASSIN'S CREED 3's launch.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Wii U demo stations hitting Best Buy on Oct. 17th

Last year, 3DS demo stations started cropping up at retailers everywhere about a month before its March launch, and it looks like Wii U is set to repeat that performance. A Best Buy employee tipped off Kevin “RawmeatCowboy” Cassidy at GoNintendo about the store’s plans for Wii U demos – they’ll be installed beginning this Wednesday, October 17. We also know that you’ll be able to see pre-order cards for major first-party games (as well as ZombiU) at the endcaps of Wii U’s aisle.

What we don’t know is what games will be available for demonstration. In an ideal world, we’d be able to play basically everything, since Wii U demos have tended to run off digital copies which should be fairly easy to install on demo stations. In the real world, however, we’ll likely be limited to Mario, Nintendo Land, and maybe an Ubisoft game or two. We’ll see this Wednesday!
http://gengame.net/2012/10/wii-u-dem...ay-october-17/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wii_u_demo_kiosk.png
Views:	23
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	10788  
Old 10-17-2012, 07:16 AM
FIRST LOOK: Best Buy's Wii U demo station/end cap

Well, looks like we'll definitely be playing New Super Mario Bros. U on these demo stations, at the very least. Also seems that there will Wiimote/Nunchuk setups to drive home the fact that they're compatible - GoNintendo.com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wiiuendcap1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	10806   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiiuendcap2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	10807  
Old 10-19-2012, 11:57 PM
I'm still on the fence about buying a WiiU. The plan is that I'm only going to buy one of the next generation consoles, but I don't know which one I'll settle on. I keep saying to myself, I can't live without the Mario and Zelda exclusives, but I can't live without Uncharted and Resistance, nor can I live without Halo. So who knows, I'll probably end up with all three again, but I guess to appease the girlfriend I'll still say I'm just getting one.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:10 AM
Question... When is Nintendo going to stop making shitty consoles? Better yet. When will they just stop making anything?
Old 11-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Wii U demo kiosk date change.. The Unboxing of the Wii-U via Nintendo Direct

Quote:
A Best Buy employee tipped off Kevin “RawmeatCowboy” Cassidy at GoNintendo about the store’s plans for Wii U demos – they’ll be installed beginning this Wednesday, October 17.
Nintendo has teamed up with Best Buy to offer playable Wii U demos at select brick-and-mortar stores across the country.
The playable Wii U consoles at Best Buy began arriving on Wednesday (11/7) and should be set up and ready to go by now. Unfortunately you cannot determine if your local Best Buy has one set up via the company's website. You must pick up the phone and call your local store to determine availability.

Select Best Buy stores will also be opening at midnight on Sunday, November 18 to sell their Wii U inventory to those in line.

We're approaching the two week mark until Nintendo's big Wii U release. Expect potentially more early play opportunities to arise in the days ahead.
http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Play-W...y-Stores/11552

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nintendo beat their fans to the punch and delivered the first unboxing video of a Wii U on the Internet in the latest Nintendo Direct installment. Donning white gloves as if he was handling the Stanley Cup, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata carefully removes and showcases each piece of hardware that comes with the Wii U Deluxe set, one by one.
The downside to the nearly one-hour video is that it is made for Japanese audiences and there is no English translation. That's a shame as Iwata digs deep into the Wii U's online features, reveals the WaraWara Plaza and how it functions, and generally shows a lot of new nifty functionality we didn't know the Wii U and GamePad had - until now.

Some interesting features presented visually that don't require a translation are the ability to transfer virtual console games from Wii to Wii U via an SD card, and the ability to pause a game running on the GamePad, open a web browser, and surf the web to your heart's content or as long as the GamePad battery lasts. This latter feature will prove especially handy when looking for cheats for FAQs for the game your playing. Instead of running off to a computer to do a little research, you can do it right from the GamePad and seamlessly return to the paused game without missing a beat.

Nintendo of America released a truncated version of the new video that runs just over six minutes long. It focuses on the WaraWara Plaza and new Wii U Chat feature, demonstrated during the first official test with Iwata and NOA President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime. It would be nice if Nintendo opened up the sandbox a little and offered a Skype app for cross-platform chat, but that would undermine their own proprietary chat software.

Be certain to watch both of the new Nintendo Wii U videos below whether you already pre-ordered a Wii U or are on the fence. It's hard to believe Wii U makes its North American debut in less than 11 days.

Nintendo Direct (11/7/12)
Video duration: 53 minutes 19 seconds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=uHJO7w5lbu0

Wii U WaraWara Plaza and WiiU Chat
Video Duration: 6 minutes 6 seconds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=PZIpfOEb_80

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Ninten...ionality/11577
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11552.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	10919  

Last edited by Ruly2; 11-14-2012 at 07:20 AM..
Old 11-14-2012, 07:12 AM
Nintendo details Wii U storage limits and no Wii GamePad screen play

The Wii U will not support play of Wii Virtual Console or Wii Ware games on the GamePad tablet controller’s screen, Nintendo has revealed, while storage shortages in the Basic 8GB model may make installing games a headache. After formatting, the cheapest Wii U will have 7.2GB of its 8GB capacity (or 29GB for the 32GB model) but the console requires 4.2GB itself, Nintendo confirmed in a new Japanese-language Direct video; that means, with New Super Mario Bros. U and Nintendo Land weighing in at roughly 2GB and 3.2GB respectively, gamers won’t be able to fit both onto the basic Wii U set at the same time.

In fact, according to a translation of the key points at NeoGaf, there are a few storage considerations to bear in mind. Data can be stored on a USB hard-drive up to 2TB in capacity – though not a flash drive, which Nintendo says is a stability limitation – but it must be formatted to suit the Wii U and then cannot be used with a PC. Files can be shuffled between the Wii U’s internal storage and an external drive via an option in the Data Management menu.

Only one external drive can be plugged in, at least at launch, though Nintendo says it is working on an update to change that. SD cards, meanwhile, can be used to store PC, Wii Virtual Console, Wii Ware, and Wii save data, but not Wii U game save data. USB drives will not be hot-swappable, either.

As for GamePad limitations, according to Nintendo the Wii mode will only support the TV as display, not the tablet controller’s own 7-inch screen. However, a new Wii U Virtual Console game is in the pipeline, that will support the feature.

Nintendo also detailed some system tidbits, including the ability to lock down internet browsing, e-Shop purchases, Miiverse functionality, friend registrations, videos, data management, and other settings, based on age, preventing children from accessing content their parents would rather they didn’t. There’ll also be individual dictionaries for user-added words for each gamer.

NINTENDO DIRECT for 11/14/2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6q8sNhm4uM

source: SlashGear
Old 11-14-2012, 12:09 PM
*Enters the Nintendo Cynic*

Quote:
The Wii U will not support play of Wii Virtual Console or Wii Ware games on the GamePad tablet controller’s screen, Nintendo has revealed, while storage shortages in the Basic 8GB model may make installing games a headache. After formatting, the cheapest Wii U will have 7.2GB of its 8GB capacity (or 29GB for the 32GB model) but the console requires 4.2GB itself, Nintendo confirmed in a new Japanese-language Direct video; that means, with New Super Mario Bros. U and Nintendo Land weighing in at roughly 2GB and 3.2GB respectively, gamers won’t be able to fit both onto the basic Wii U set at the same time.
Fail. Though i suppose this isn't something new or only practiced by Nintendo so i guess you can't fault them entirely. But still, fail.

Quote:
In fact, according to a translation of the key points at NeoGaf, there are a few storage considerations to bear in mind. Data can be stored on a USB hard-drive up to 2TB in capacity – though not a flash drive, which Nintendo says is a stability limitation – but it must be formatted to suit the Wii U and then cannot be used with a PC. Files can be shuffled between the Wii U’s internal storage and an external drive via an option in the Data Management menu.
So the HD MUST be formatted to whatever file system Nintendo is using and then won't be usable with a PC while in this file system format? What garbage! Nintendo has now effectively made it so that you have to give them money to be able to watch shit on their system if you are storing your data on and external HD.

So they want to compete with Sony/Microsoft and before its even released they are already putting limitations on the system for things the others do just fine for no other reason then to try and bilk you for more money? And ppl want to complain about DLC i can't wait till this info his the main stream.

Quote:
Only one external drive can be plugged in, at least at launch, though Nintendo says it is working on an update to change that. SD cards, meanwhile, can be used to store PC, Wii Virtual Console, Wii Ware, and Wii save data, but not Wii U game save data. USB drives will not be hot-swappable, either.
This is a moot point since you're only going to be able to have their content on these drives anyways and the idea that they will have any where near 2 TB of content for a reasonable price at launch is not realistic.

Quote:
As for GamePad limitations, according to Nintendo the Wii mode will only support the TV as display, not the tablet controller’s own 7-inch screen. However, a new Wii U Virtual Console game is in the pipeline, that will support the feature.
How much you want to bet it will cost a few bucks to get the feature when it comes out? Wouldn't put it past them.

Quote:
Nintendo also detailed some system tidbits, including the ability to lock down internet browsing, e-Shop purchases, Miiverse functionality, friend registrations, videos, data management, and other settings, based on age, preventing children from accessing content their parents would rather they didn’t. There’ll also be individual dictionaries for user-added words for each gamer.
Just another tool for neglectful parents to use so they can plop their kids down in front of something instead of being mindful of them.
=================

Honestly the more info they release about this system the less and less chance i'm going to pick one up (though i'm sure it will still happen somehow). We are in a day and age that ppl are fully aware of poorly tested products getting put out in order to meet a deadline (in this case the christmas rush) and from all i'm hearing from Nintendo so far the WiiU might fall into the list. Whether its the consumers over inflated expectations (and i don't expect Nintendo to be amazing so much as to not suck) or the manufacture/producers over blown promises during the initial announcement period this system is just not looking good.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:14 AM
Quote:
Nintendo has teamed up with Best Buy to offer playable Wii U demos at select brick-and-mortar stores across the country.
The playable Wii U consoles at Best Buy began arriving on Wednesday (11/7) and should be set up and ready to go by now. Unfortunately you cannot determine if your local Best Buy has one set up via the company's website. You must pick up the phone and call your local store to determine availability.

Select Best Buy stores will also be opening at midnight on Sunday, November 18 to sell their Wii U inventory to those in line.

We're approaching the two week mark until Nintendo's big Wii U release. Expect potentially more early play opportunities to arise in the days ahead.
http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Play-W...y-Stores/11552

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nintendo beat their fans to the punch and delivered the first unboxing video of a Wii U on the Internet in the latest Nintendo Direct installment. Donning white gloves as if he was handling the Stanley Cup, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata carefully removes and showcases each piece of hardware that comes with the Wii U Deluxe set, one by one.
The downside to the nearly one-hour video is that it is made for Japanese audiences and there is no English translation. That's a shame as Iwata digs deep into the Wii U's online features, reveals the WaraWara Plaza and how it functions, and generally shows a lot of new nifty functionality we didn't know the Wii U and GamePad had - until now.

Some interesting features presented visually that don't require a translation are the ability to transfer virtual console games from Wii to Wii U via an SD card, and the ability to pause a game running on the GamePad, open a web browser, and surf the web to your heart's content or as long as the GamePad battery lasts. This latter feature will prove especially handy when looking for cheats for FAQs for the game your playing. Instead of running off to a computer to do a little research, you can do it right from the GamePad and seamlessly return to the paused game without missing a beat.

Nintendo of America released a truncated version of the new video that runs just over six minutes long. It focuses on the WaraWara Plaza and new Wii U Chat feature, demonstrated during the first official test with Iwata and NOA President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime. It would be nice if Nintendo opened up the sandbox a little and offered a Skype app for cross-platform chat, but that would undermine their own proprietary chat software.

Be certain to watch both of the new Nintendo Wii U videos below whether you already pre-ordered a Wii U or are on the fence. It's hard to believe Wii U makes its North American debut in less than 11 days.

Nintendo Direct (11/7/12)
Video duration: 53 minutes 19 seconds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=uHJO7w5lbu0

Wii U WaraWara Plaza and WiiU Chat
Video Duration: 6 minutes 6 seconds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=PZIpfOEb_80

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Ninten...ionality/11577

Ruly2 - Do you think it'll be necessary to shop at midnight to get one of these by Xmas, or do you think the supply will be just fine?
Old 11-15-2012, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
Ruly2 - Do you think it'll be necessary to shop at midnight to get one of these by Xmas, or do you think the supply will be just fine?
The in-store supplies (aka system units) will be in very small supply and from my knowledge.. No stores will have midnight lauches for the Wii-U due to limited quanitees. With that said: I know stores are open at midnight on Black Friday and from what i've heard (dont quote me on this): I believe Nintendo is goona try to get as meny Wii-U system units out as possible. So, I say there may be a chance of getting ahold of the "U" by Christmas but it would be a very small window... I personally will wait untill stores have more stock of the 32GB version in stock. I always hate trying to get something at launch becase everybody else will be trying to get that item (whatever that my be).

Last edited by Ruly2; 11-15-2012 at 07:43 AM..
Old 11-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Memory (update)..An Issue

Quote:
The Wii U will not support play of Wii Virtual Console or Wii Ware games on the GamePad tablet controller’s screen, Nintendo has revealed, while storage shortages in the Basic 8GB model may make installing games a headache. After formatting, the cheapest Wii U will have 7.2GB of its 8GB capacity (or 29GB for the 32GB model) but the console requires 4.2GB itself. Source: SlashGear
With the Nintendo Wii U due for launch later this week on November 18, those people who are planning to pick up the Basic edition will want to grab an external hard drive too - as the model comes with just 3GB of available space.

The Wii U Basic hardware touts 7.2GB of flash memory, while the Premium model offers 29GB. However, as part of a Nintendo Direct broadcast, and as translated by Kotaku, the console requires 4.2GB of that space for setting up your Nintendo Network ID and account data.

In other words, once the Wii U console is ready to go, the Basic offers just 3GB of space, while the Premium model has 25GB.

Put in the context of downloadable titles, New Super Mario Bros. U is around 2GB in size, while Nintendo Land is 3.2GB -- hence, the latter will not fit on the Basic model if downloaded. In comparison, Wii U retail discs can hold up to 25GB of data.

The solution, says Nintendo, is to purchase an external hard drive for the console. External hard drives of up to 2TB can be connected up to the Wii U, allowing users to store games and content for the console.

source: gamasutra
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	usb_to_wii_u.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	10957  

Last edited by Ruly2; 11-15-2012 at 07:39 AM..
Old 11-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Quote:
The in-store supplies (aka system units) will be in very small supply and from my knowledge.. No stores will have midnight lauches for the Wii-U due to limited quanitees. With that said: I know stores are open at midnight on Black Friday and from what i've heard (dont quote me on this): I believe Nintendo is goona try to get as meny Wii-U system units out as possible. So, I say there may be a chance of getting ahold of the "U" by Christmas but it would be a very small window... I personally will wait untill stores have more stock of the 32GB version in stock. I always hate trying to get something at launch becase everybody else will be trying to get that item (whatever that my be).

Best Buy is doing midnight launches this Saturday/Sunday. There's one about 5 minutes from my house, I have the night off and usually work midnights. So it's kind of the perfect setup for me. I'm kinda like you though -- I've never done a midnight launch thing since I'm usually a late adopter but this year I decided it would be fun to get one of the new toys. It seems like it would be too hectic to do it first thing though -- Hmmm… Maybe this is what all those nights standing in lines for nightclubs has prepared me for.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Best Buy is doing midnight launches this Saturday/Sunday. There's one about 5 minutes from my house, I have the night off and usually work midnights. So it's kind of the perfect setup for me. I'm kinda like you though -- I've never done a midnight launch thing since I'm usually a late adopter but this year I decided it would be fun to get one of the new toys. It seems like it would be too hectic to do it first thing though -- Hmmm… Maybe this is what all those nights standing in lines for nightclubs has prepared me for.
I've only stood in line for game releases but never a console release so it could be crowded. One thing places like Best Buy tend to do some times as well is only let like 10 ppl into the store at a time to get the product so they are not having to worry about ppl trying to steal stuff.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Quote:
I am highly considering doing the midnight Best Buy launch tomorrow as well, the question is just what time should I show up. I waited outside a Best Buy all night for the Wii and it was one of the most fun nights I've had, but I was with friends that time and this time I'd be alone. I'm going to stop by the store later today and see if they have any inclination as to how things might go tomorrow.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Thank, everyone. Spike, when you say you waited out all night for the Wii - Like what time did you get there and what time did you leave? How far back were you in line? This might be something I just drive by a few times during the night and see how the line is going.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Any word on whether Best Buy will have additional inventory, or will they not be able to give out any Wii U's unless you have a pre-order? I'm thinking of waiting in line, too.