Old 09-13-2012, 06:20 PM
2012: The Worst Year For Movies

I have only seen about 10 movies all year. Almost nothing looks good enough to see. This is the worst year of movies I can ever remember. Only one movie was worth seeing twice.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:34 PM
2007 was shit (save for Zodiac) until late September hit and it is now regarded as one of the best years for movies in the last few decades. Have patience, some good ones are coming.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:37 PM
2012 is gonna blow 2011 out of the water, and I'm one of the few who was very happy with what we got in '11.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
I have only seen about 10 movies all year.
This explains the problem. You're not seeing much and you're probably seeing the wrong movies. People make this exact complaint pretty much every year and invariably it's because they saw shit and didn't bother with the great films that may require a little more seeking out.

It's also true that we're just now entering the season which tends to hold at least half of the greatest films released in a year and often more, so much of the best is yet to come.

If you're interested in turning your opinion around, try Miss Bala, Once Upon A Time in Anatolia, The Master (coming out next week), The Imposter, Better This World, Safety Not Guaranteed, or Beasts of The Southern Wild. Even some dumb action movies have been spectacular as far as that goes, with The Raid and Sleepless Night being a few cuts above what Hollywood does with action pics. With hundreds of movies released each year, there are always going to be a ton of great films, you often just have to wander outside the multiplex to see them.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
This explains the problem. You're not seeing much and you're probably seeing the wrong movies. People make this exact complaint pretty much every year and invariably it's because they saw shit and didn't bother with the great films that may require a little more seeking out.
This. The whole "worst year for movies" thing irks me, since I've been hearing it every single year as far back as I can remember.

Though it mostly comes from stuffy, jaded film critics.

Every year has good and bad films. Hasn't been a bad year for me, mostly because I've been going to the movies a lot more often (Thank God for having two jobs).
Old 09-13-2012, 07:32 PM
For me personally, Prometheus was the biggest letdown of the year 2012. But what's even worse, it was also the biggest disappointment of this century. Prometheus was my absolute most anticipated movie of all time. That's about it for me at this point in time. Many would argue with my opinion on this. But I stand by my comments.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:36 PM
I can't believe everyone hasn't realized yet that 99.9% of the best movies come out Oct-Dec. That being said 2012 has almost already surpassed 2011.

Last edited by creekin111; 09-13-2012 at 07:38 PM..
Old 09-13-2012, 09:13 PM
You can certainly make the argument that the Summer season is the worst in recent memory. It seems like pretty much all the blockbuster films have disappointed in some way, with the exception of a few surprises like Ted.

I think 2008 is the worst year for movies in the new millenium so far. Most of the big prestige pictures and other fall releases were underwhelming to me.

I don't think 2012 will reach the heights of 2007, but it looks set to be pretty good. Paul Thomas Anderson and Michael Haneke both have movies out this year. Both are pluses. Hopefully Looper delivers. There looks to be some good stuff coming up.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:24 PM
I personally think it's been a pretty good year so far and there is plenty of movies that I missed that could make it an even better year.

I also think it's been a pretty decent summer movie season as well. The Avengers, Snow White and the Huntsman, The Dark Knight Rises, The Amazing Spider-Man, The Bourne Legacy all delivered the goods in a big way. Plus, smaller gems like The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. And lots of fun and solid stuff like Expendables 2, The Dictator, The Campaign (I especially love this from all of the comedies), Lawless among others. And plenty I still need to see like Hope Springs, Compliance, Celeste and Jesse Forever, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, Safety Not Guaranteed, Your Sister's Sister, Ruby Sparks, Magic Mike among others.

There have been some disappointments. Chief among them being the Total Recall reboot, Oliver Stone's Savages, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and Pixar's Brave.

Then there is Prometheus, which I liked even though it was still kind of a letdown. And Ted was enjoyable but severely over hyped.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:50 PM
Just checking my personal ratings for the past year.

In 2011, I rated NOTHING a 10/10. This year, I have three.

In 2011, I rated 17 films all year 8/10 or higher.

In 2012 so far, I rated 9 films 8/10 or higher.

Still a lot of time left. 2012 will be just fine but there has been more middle of the road/average films released this year IMO.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
2007 was shit (save for Zodiac) until late September hit and it is now regarded as one of the best years for movies in the last few decades. Have patience, some good ones are coming.
I have to admit, I feel this way pretty much every year until September roles around. I think partly what motivates Erroneous was that this year had a pretty weak blockbuster season that wasn't really able to hold us over.

Last edited by Gordon; 09-14-2012 at 12:25 AM..
Old 09-14-2012, 02:30 AM
I've really enjoyed this year actually, only one film out of the 35 I have seen would I say was actually bad, John Carter.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:22 AM
avengers,Tdkr disappointed me.waiting to see Django unchained,skyfall,hobbit,silver linings playbook,cloud atlas,jack reacher
Old 09-14-2012, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bourne View Post
avengers,Tdkr disappointed me
Really? I thought they were two of the better movies released this year. But that's just me.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
There have been some disappointments. Chief among them being the Total Recall reboot.
That comes as a total surprise to me... not. I knew it would be crap as soon as it was officially announced.
The same story will hold true for both the Dredd, and Robocop reboots. You wait n see.
Why must studios constantly push crappy remakes out like turds?
Old 09-14-2012, 04:22 AM
Watch more movies.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
That comes as a total surprise to me... not. I knew it would be crap as soon as it was officially announced.
The same story will hold true for both the Dredd, and Robocop reboots. You wait n see.
It was a disappointment to me because I am a fan of the director and the cast.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
I've heard nothing but good things about Dredd
Old 09-14-2012, 12:36 PM
hang in there Erroneous, there are gonna be a bunch of awesome films coming out soon (The Master, Looper, Killing Them Softly, Django Unchained etc etc)

And honestly I thought the summer films were pretty damn good for the most part. Did you happen to catch Moonrise Kingdom?
Old 09-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Yeah, this hasn't been a great year.

Films that I enjoyed:
The Grey
Cabin in the Woods
Avengers

Films that were just 'meh':
The Amazing Spider-Man
Snow White and The Huntsman
John Carter

Films that I was looking forward to yet turned out to be massively disappointing:
Prometheus
The Dark Knight Rises

Films that I'm looking forward to for the rest of the year:
Looper
Cloud Atlas
The Hobbit
Sky Fall
Django Unchained
Old 09-14-2012, 05:18 PM
I also loved the avengers and the dark knight rises. I agree that it's still too early there are a lot of movies still to be released.

surprisingly I am looking forward to Rob Zombie's Lords of Salem

cloud atlas looks like a tree of life type of movie experience

Looper also looks interesting

of course I'll be watching The Hobbit

and I also really want to see beasts of the southern wild
Old 09-16-2012, 09:31 AM
Every year has good and bad movies; some more than others. I personally find it impossible to compare years as far as movie releases are concerned. Too difficult to judge for me.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:13 PM
When isn't every year a 'worst year' - it's all subjective
Old 09-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
Every year has good and bad movies; some more than others.
Many schmoes only see what's been released from Hollywood and not what's in the indie and foreign market.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightAngel View Post
Many schmoes only see what's been released from Hollywood and not what's in the indie and foreign market.
To be fair, it's not entirely their fault. Most of the time, the only people who have access to those kinds of movies is if you live near a major city. If you live in the middle of nowhere, it's doubtful you'll be able to see art house fare at least until it comes to DVD or netflix or red box.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Well l have to admit there is not much to see at the theatre at the moment

Alot of it is just silly stuff which you would want to pay for

There is only one movie l want to see which is not out yet but it will be coming soon

The Taken 2

I would like to see if it will be better than the first one
Old 09-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
hang in there Erroneous, there are gonna be a bunch of awesome films coming out soon (The Master, Looper, Killing Them Softly, Django Unchained etc etc)

And honestly I thought the summer films were pretty damn good for the most part. Did you happen to catch Moonrise Kingdom?
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post

It's also true that we're just now entering the season which tends to hold at least half of the greatest films released in a year and often more, so much of the best is yet to come.

If you're interested in turning your opinion around, try Miss Bala, Once Upon A Time in Anatolia, The Master (coming out next week), The Imposter, Better This World, Safety Not Guaranteed, or Beasts of The Southern Wild. Even some dumb action movies have been spectacular as far as that goes, with The Raid and Sleepless Night being a few cuts above what Hollywood does with action pics. With hundreds of movies released each year, there are always going to be a ton of great films, you often just have to wander outside the multiplex to see them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
I can't believe everyone hasn't realized yet that 99.9% of the best movies come out Oct-Dec. That being said 2012 has almost already surpassed 2011.
I go to the movies for fun and entertainment. It does not have to be the best movie for me to enjoy it. I can see through a Bay film and be quite entertained and go home happy. One blockbuster was worth seeing twice (Avengers) EVERYTHING else did not live up to the hype at all. I never posted a Dark Knight Rises review, but the whole movie was depressing. Far, far below The Dark Knight. I maintain that the year has sucked so far this year, but I am hopeful for a better ending quarter.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Quote:
I maintain that the year has sucked so far this year, but I am hopeful for a better ending quarter.
That's better.

Its always a better ending quarter. Always.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:42 PM
It hasnt been that bad. I thought Avengers and TDKR were amazing. I have yet to see Amazing SpiderMan yet but I have heard good things from friends. To be fair, I havent watched many movies this year yet but I certainly dont think it has been the worst.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Oh there is one Australian movie called The sapphires and it has had very good reveiws

i am suprised that we dont look at a few of the aussie movies that are coming out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywAGVfuFzxA
Old 09-21-2012, 07:23 AM
In the last 7 years there has been only two films that I have seen twice in the theater THE AVENGERS and THE INCREDIBLE HULK. I know INCREDIBLE is not the geatest film ever(but it is when the Hulk has been your hero since yu were like 3 years old) but I wanted to get a chance to see it twice. THE AVENGERS to me was amazing, all my favorite herores brought together in one Great film. Regardless if you like it or not It will always be on my top lists. It was great to see my family love it too.
Haven't seen too many films this year at the theatre, but I'm really looking foward to SKYFALL. The last two Bond films have been great. Truely good action films.
One thing I miss from the big screen is a good Marital Arts film. Doesn't seem to be too many released besides THE EXPENDABLES 2. Remember when all of Jet Li's films were theartriclly released? So do I.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Quote:
I go to the movies for fun and entertainment. It does not have to be the best movie for me to enjoy it. I can see through a Bay film and be quite entertained and go home happy. One blockbuster was worth seeing twice (Avengers) EVERYTHING else did not live up to the hype at all. I never posted a Dark Knight Rises review, but the whole movie was depressing. Far, far below The Dark Knight. I maintain that the year has sucked so far this year, but I am hopeful for a better ending quarter.
Still you'd have had to see more than 10 2012 movies to say the year sucked, no?
Old 09-22-2012, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
Still you'd have had to see more than 10 2012 movies to say the year sucked, no?
NO. Very little has come out that makes me want to go see more movies. I have not seen a movie since Dark Knight Rises. Nothing since mid July, Aug and mid Sept. Just pure shit week in week out
Old 09-22-2012, 09:31 AM
Go see Looper next weekend, Erroneous. I have a feeling your faith in 2012 will be restored. Hell, check out End of Watch or Dredd this weekend. I've heard great things about both. From this point on there's pretty much something every weekend to look forward to.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Go see Looper next weekend, Erroneous. I have a feeling your faith in 2012 will be restored. Hell, check out End of Watch or Dredd this weekend. I've heard great things about both. From this point on there's pretty much something every weekend to look forward to.
I have zero interest in Looper. I have little faith in Willis these days. It looks like about a dozen other movies I have seen already. Dredd? I don't think so. End of Watch looks interesting, but not enough to see it in the theaters.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:41 AM

Looper currently has a 97% rating on RT. I'd think its safe to say its gonna be a blast. Plus I love that its rated R.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Looper currently has a 97% rating on RT. I'd think its safe to say its gonna be a blast. Plus I love that its rated R.
That is cool. I still have no interest. The whole concept is just stupid to me. Time Travel is run by the mob? Goofy. I never cared how the people of RT rate a movie.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:51 PM
seems like a pretty good year for bad trolling
Old 09-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
seems like a pretty good year for bad trolling
reported. nothing to do with the thread. just trying to start trouble...again
Old 09-23-2012, 08:20 PM
If you think 2012 is the worst movie year ever, you're either really young or just haven't seen enough movies. This year wasn't that bad and the summer was awesome.