Old 07-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Losing a Pet

I know there's another thread about pets somewhere, but I didn't feel like searching for it. We just had to put one of our dogs down, and I'm doing whatever I can to get through this. Writing about her helps a little. I've never lost a pet before. I've been dreading this day for a long time, but I knew it was going to happen at some point. She's a lab/chow mix named Cleo. She had full-blown kidney failure. She was 13. I don't know how to fucking talk about her in past tense. I'm an emotional person anyway, so this has been hitting me hard.

I can't look at a picture of her right now without crying my eyes out. Otherwise, I'd post a picture. Maybe I will in a few days.

Feel free to share memories of your fallen pets.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:01 PM
sorry to hear that count. losing a pet is tough, but i'm sure she had a great life
Old 07-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Wow, shitty day for pets. I was just going to start a thread about pets because I got some horrible news this morning.

I have 2 cats, a boy named Galaxy and a girl named Callie (shes a calico). Galaxy has been acting really weird lately after he eats, almost like he is choking or trying to get up a hairball. It's gotten worse to where he kind of kicks at his mouth as he does it. I picked him up last night and my dad checked his mouth and said one of his teeth was bleeding, so I took him to the vet today to get what I assumed was a bleeding/infected tooth fixed.

It's much worse.

The doc looked him over and said his teeth are actually fine, its his jaw that is messed up because he has cancer. He took x-rays and showed me where the jawline on that side is starting to deteriorate already. He said it may be an infection but thats not likely. He gave him an antibiotic shot today and he has to go back in 2 weeks to get another, but if those do nothing then we know for sure its cancer.

The guy is 12 years old and literally had zero health problems, ever. Not even so much as a broken claw. And now he has mouth cancer.

I've spent the majority of my day playing with him and holding him and crying and he's been looking at me like "what the hell is the matter with you" because he's a cat and obviously doesn't know anything is wrong with him.

If it is in fact cancer, my parents nor myself can afford all of the treatments so he'll eventually just get worse and worse until he either gets so bad we have to put him down or he just dies on his own.

Nothing has hit me this hard in a long time. Galaxy and Callie came from the same liter. My parents picked out Callie but Galaxy is MY cat. I picked him out and I named him and he is MINE.

And now he's sick and slowly dying.

My eyes literally hurt from crying today.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula View Post
I know there's another thread about pets somewhere, but I didn't feel like searching for it. We just had to put one of our dogs down, and I'm doing whatever I can to get through this. Writing about her helps a little. I've never lost a pet before. I've been dreading this day for a long time, but I knew it was going to happen at some point. She's a lab/chow mix named Cleo. She had full-blown kidney failure. She was 13. I don't know how to fucking talk about her in past tense. I'm an emotional person anyway, so this has been hitting me hard.

I can't look at a picture of her right now without crying my eyes out. Otherwise, I'd post a picture. Maybe I will in a few days.

Feel free to share memories of your fallen pets.
I am so sorry you are going through this; I know how hard it is. I had to do the same as you last summer and I had her for a bit over 13 years, but she was about a year old when I adopted her. It hit me very hard too; I was a wreck. Just know that she is in a better place right now, in no pain any longer and that she had a good life and was well loved.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson13 View Post
Wow, shitty day for pets. I was just going to start a thread about pets because I got some horrible news this morning.

I have 2 cats, a boy named Galaxy and a girl named Callie (shes a calico). Galaxy has been acting really weird lately after he eats, almost like he is choking or trying to get up a hairball. It's gotten worse to where he kind of kicks at his mouth as he does it. I picked him up last night and my dad checked his mouth and said one of his teeth was bleeding, so I took him to the vet today to get what I assumed was a bleeding/infected tooth fixed.

It's much worse.

The doc looked him over and said his teeth are actually fine, its his jaw that is messed up because he has cancer. He took x-rays and showed me where the jawline on that side is starting to deteriorate already. He said it may be an infection but thats not likely. He gave him an antibiotic shot today and he has to go back in 2 weeks to get another, but if those do nothing then we know for sure its cancer.

The guy is 12 years old and literally had zero health problems, ever. Not even so much as a broken claw. And now he has mouth cancer.

I've spent the majority of my day playing with him and holding him and crying and he's been looking at me like "what the hell is the matter with you" because he's a cat and obviously doesn't know anything is wrong with him.

If it is in fact cancer, my parents nor myself can afford all of the treatments so he'll eventually just get worse and worse until he either gets so bad we have to put him down or he just dies on his own.

Nothing has hit me this hard in a long time. Galaxy and Callie came from the same liter. My parents picked out Callie but Galaxy is MY cat. I picked him out and I named him and he is MINE.

And now he's sick and slowly dying.

My eyes literally hurt from crying today.
I'm sorry about your kitty. I've got a kitty that has all kinds of health problems but is a tough little guy. He's on about 3 meds right now. He doesn't seem to be in any pain though and he still eats and plays like a little kitty and he's about 16. A few weeks ago I thought I would have to make a decision on what to do but he's a fighter and the vet is amazed how well he's doing. I truly believe the saying that cats have nine lives.

I wish the same for your cat; I hope he gets better. I hope it is just an infection. Spend as much time as you can with him and try to think positively; I believe that animals can definately sense a negative vibe from you.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Yesterday my Ma and Pa's cat (I chose her when I was a wee one) died at the ripe old age of 21. She went peacefully in her sleep next to my Mother and even though they know she had a helluva good innings it doesn't make it any easier for them.

They buried her in the garden this morning between our two old dogs, Ranger II (a little, timid mongrel from the animal rescue shelter) and Ranger III (the daftest great lolloping Scooby Doo-alike with the biggest heart).

My Dad is just in pieces and it's hard to know what words of comfort to offer without making it seem like you are almost belittling their grief.

I hope you feel better in time Count, my heart really does go out to you...and it would be lovely if you could share some memories of her if and when you feel up to it.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:54 PM
I've lost two cats that I was insanely attached to.

The first was Racie (silly name, I was like 6 or 7 when I named him). I can't remember how old I was when we found out that a wound he had from fighting with another cat (his nostril was torn, he was fiercely territorial) that would never really heal (we thought that he kept getting opened back up) was cancerous. His nose would just keep getting worse and we couldn't stand to let him go through the pain.

The second was Buddy. He had seemed to be in pain and coughing when he laid down. I took him to the vet and as I was holding him, he started gasping and choking and then he died right in my arms. He apparently had had fluid in his lungs. It was one of the most traumatic things I've ever experienced.

The worst for my dogs was a family of a mother (Copper) and two younger sisters (Sissie and Sassie). Copper and Sissie were hit by a truck which Sassie avoided, Copper was paralyzed instantly and Sissie died a short while after the accident. We had to put Copper down and I was too young to be there, horrified already as i was. The worst was Sassie, who survived that but never did recover from the effects (she was always paranoid and even when comforted with attention, she would cower) ended up with cancer as well and I able to be there along with my mother and sister this time. It was hard to even look at her, but we stayed with her the whole time.

It hurts a lot, thinking back on those times but it is good to talk about this stuff and let it out in their memory.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Yeah, it's tough. I have a boxer called Dickson. He's 9 now, and just had surgery to remove cancer from his jaw and is on the mend. I'm helluva grateful.

Dickson is my fourth boxer. They are the greatest pets a guy could hope for: loyal, protective, strong, friendly. But he IS the fourth, and I can tell you that the loss of my first dogs hurt more than the death of my grandparents.

Don't know why. Don't feel the need to justify this. It's just a fact.

Sorry to hear your bad news, count.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:42 PM
I feel for you, Count. I really do. Going through this is REALLY tough. That with everything else that's been going on in your life. So sorry to hear of this dude.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:38 PM
I don't mind putting them down, but I don't like having to take them to the vet to do it. I'm still surprised there's no effective prescription vets could give you so that you can do it at home. Put something in the food or water and then let them nod off all relaxed. I knew a guy who ended up shooting one of his pets because it was sick and very undomesticated, very wild and natural and not at all accustomed to being on a leash in some room and then being guided into a smaller room with a stranger and he knew the animal would have had a miserable experience going out that way. Which I totally approve of. He took the animal into the deep woods where they always hiked together and shot it nice and quick, right in the head, no muss, no fuss, no inaccuracy and no delay. The animal was relaxing one minute and then popped the next. I don't know how many people would agree with that, but for my money it's so much better for an animal. To go out in the blink of an eye, in an area it loves, without a clue.
I was really proud of the dude for being able to burden himself instead of burdening the animal.

The thing is I usually like keeping my pets as wild as possible, and most of them hate going to the vet. I'm not at all okay with the idea of dragging them to some place they're freaked out about so they get put down. Maybe I wouldn't be able to literally shoot an animal just because I don't own a powerful gun and I would only do it if I knew I could make it instantaneous, one shot... But I just wish there was another way to put one of them down peacefully. The vets do the best they can, but I figure it's a stressful last few minutes for some animals.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:09 PM
I'm sorry to all the folks who have recently lost a pet and to those who have lost them in the past in unfortunate circumstances. Losing a pet is like losing a human loved one. It's not just A cat or A dog, it's YOUR companion.

I remember the first time one of my pets had to be put down. He was an old dog and he had a long run, but I remember coming out of the shower and my mum, tears in her eyes, said "Come and say 'goodbye' to Tom." I got dressed and held him for a very long time before my father put him on a leash and took him to the vet's. When I was embracing him, he licked my ear and wagged his tail even though he had a severe case of arthritis.

The second major experience I had was when my dog Woody had to be put down due to health complications. Some days he was full of beans, others, he vomited and didn't have an appetite and could barely move. One day he collapsed while I was hanging out the washing and I rushed him to the vet's only to be told that he was on his last legs. I don't know how this happened, but the vet told me to take some time to pat and cuddle him before he had to be put to sleep. To this day I don't know precisely what it was that made his health degenerate that way, but nothing could change the fact of how upsetting it was for me.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagia_Romero View Post
I remember the first time one of my pets had to be put down. He was an old dog and he had a long run, but I remember coming out of the shower and my mum, tears in her eyes, said "Come and say 'goodbye' to Tom." I got dressed and held him for a very long time before my father put him on a leash and took him to the vet's. When I was embracing him, he licked my ear and wagged his tail even though he had a severe case of arthritis.
Heart breaking to say the least
Old 07-09-2010, 02:50 AM
I am very sorry for your loss.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:16 AM
Im at work reading this thread trying not to cry. Ive always been a cat person. We have four at the moment. I prefer cats over most humans.

Im sorry for everyone who has lost a pet here.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:22 AM
I guess we're animal people

Schmoes can move from surprising callousness to bewildering sensitivity at the drop of a hat
Old 07-09-2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
Schmoes can move from surprising callousness to bewildering sensitivity at the drop of a hat
Unless the hat is dropped while Michael Bay is wearing it! Wha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!
Old 07-09-2010, 06:50 AM
I'm sorry to hear about you losing your dog Count. I've been there myself, and it's painful. My situation was made worse because my dog went missing for a few days before we found him in the worst possible situation and we had to put him asleep because there was no other choice. It's a tough decision, but that's life. At least you have other animals to take care of. That always helps, even if it's just a little.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I'm sorry to hear about all of your losses. Cleo was buried in our backyard last night. I visited her grave, so to speak, about an hour ago. Obviously, it was hard not to get emotional, but at the same time, I'm glad that she's finally resting peacefully. My dad picked the perfect spot. It's a place in the shade that she would usually go to in the summer to lie down.

I'll write more later. I want to write her "story." Nothing too epic, but I just have so many things to say about her. As any dog lover can tell you, each one has a distinct personality.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Really sorry to hear about your dog Count. It is always shitty when a pet passes away.

My cat is 13 years old and I am dreading the day when she passes.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Sorry to hear about your dog, man. If my dog died... shit hes like a family member by now.

Before that we had a hamster, all of a sudden stopped eating and we spent about a day trying to revive him before nature took it's course. Urgh.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:56 AM
My sister just lost her cat. This isn't new since this has happend before. Her old cat might have died and went somewhere. Out where I live in Leominster, there fisher cats at night, which might have killed her. Not a safe place for a cat to be. When my sister first got the cat from her boyfriend, my mom said don't let her out and stuff. Then she started to go outside around Spring this year. I think losing a pet is sad but you have to remember things at times, like around your neighborhood. I feel sorry for you count.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Two months ago my dog of 13 years was put down after being mauled by the dog from next door. And the worst thing about it was that it was the third time that it happened. This time it just happened to be so bad that she had to be put down. I was very wary about the dog next door, because our house basically doesn't have a fence seperating the front and back yards, she is free to walk where she pleases and when my mother is out, she sits out the front on the driveway and waits for her to come home. She does this for hours. Even though I spend most of my time in my room, every time I left my room I made sure I knew where she was. If she was outside, I'd pick her up and bring her in a and close the doors.
Unfortunately the last time she was attacked by the next door dog I was out of town. I'm certain that if I was home it wouldn't have happened. After the second time the dog was attacked I spoke to the next door neighbour, things got heated but stayed civil. When my mother heard about it, she was angry at me for stirring things up. She likes to keep things civil, always smiling at the worst of people. Even when she saw the neighbours (who still maintain that it is our fault our dog was attacked by their dog) she'd say hello and smile and they would ignore her. It wasn't until after our fucking dog died that she said it was her fault for not being more assertive and worrying what the neighbours thought of her, I personally think she said that make it sound as if she was the victim and to get a response from me (aka "no no, don't be so hard on yourself.") But you know what? It was her fucking fault, I told her after the second attack that I would open and close the gate every time she left/entered the house so that our dog wouldn't' run out the front, but she didn't like the inconvenience. I loved that dog, she was my best friend, in the last couple of weeks of her life she actually slept in my room at night. I came home from work one night to find that my mum had moved her bed into my room because she basically lived here anyway.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by overwatch View Post
Asshole neighbors......
You should personally go put your neighbors dog down. Or, even better, go put your neighbors down. That shit would have stopped the first time their pet attacked my pet. If it got to the point of where my pet died because of them......hoo boy.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:07 PM
that's really sad to hear, overwatch

^Is there anything anybody can do in those situations?
I know if a dog bites a person they have a degree of power with the situation- which is why no matter how scary it is, always get in the middle of a fight your dog is having so long as it's in public and you are in no mortal danger, because if the other vicious dog bites you, a person, then it's fucked. But I don't know there's anything you can do when a neighbor dog kills your own.

Anybody knows the ins and outs?

And overwatch, my mom is just like that. I visited her a few months ago and there is this pack of vicious neighbor dogs the owners treat like shit who are always barking twenty four seven. Every time I visit I want to do something about it or call someone, but she doesn't want to stir anything up. Okay, maybe they aren't barking 24/7 and maybe they aren't being abused, just reprimanded, but still. I get where you're coming from on that one. Jeez louise, what a thread.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaStrangelove View Post

Unless the hat is dropped while Michael Bay is wearing it! Wha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!
Hahaha, I loved those guys.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:54 PM
My wife and I dropped the kids off at daycare and on the way home she spotted a little cat walking in the grass along a busy street. I pulled over to take a look and saw it was a baby kitten. Very cute. Long story short, I grab the kitty and brought it home, fed it and talked to a bunch of neighbors in the area. The kitten's mom and her were strays and the mom was run over about a week ago. I brought it to the clinic to get looked at (I have two cats) and some guy brought in his dog to put to sleep. He gave the dog a milk bone and went into the back with the dog. 10 minutes later he came out with only the leash. Very sad. The kitten is only 1 lb and is about 3-4 weeks old. She (found out she is a she) has three kinds of pests in her stomache and she is very lucky she can be treated and live. She is living in my bathroom for now. Very cute, friendly and happy. I will try to find her a good home, but if not I will keep her.

Anyone want a kitten?
Old 06-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCoverVersion View Post
Herman aka Catface Meowmers or The Squawker.

He's thick as a brick but we love him.

My kitty cat Herman suffered a very sudden aneurysm 3 hours ago...he had to be put to sleep at an emergency vets.

I'm absolutely beside myself right now...most upset by the sudden traumatic nature of his passing. He was being his natural self at around 7:10 and then at 7:30 I heard a noise behind me as I was making tea and it was Herman unable to drag his seemingly paralysed back legs through the catflap.

He came in, his breathing rattling and heavy and his hind completely cold and unresponsive...at first we thought he'd been hit by a car or attacked by another animal but there wasn't a mark on him. He lost control of his bowels within a few more minutes and as I was phoning the emergency vets I knew there was something seriously wrong.

An hour later he was being euthanised as I comforted him as much as I was able to.

I know these feelings will pass...but I'm shocked, incredibly upset and it's not that I'm fishing for sympathy, I'm just a wee bit confused. I'm typing because I don't really understand it or know what else to do (other than wallow).

What do I tell my 3 year old in the morning when 5 hours ago he was hugging a happy moggy and telling him stories?

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Has anybody else experienced anything remotely similar to this?

God I miss that stupid cat...right now he would be attacking my ankles for food or purring on my lap.

RIP Herman. x
Old 06-12-2011, 07:47 PM
I'm so sorry. I know how difficult it is - we had a kitty who had to be put down when our oldest was 5, and it was TERRIBLY difficult to explain. In fact, he *still* talks about Bam and how he was his best friend, etc. - and he's now 10.5.

I think the best thing you can do is be honest with him and explain that sometimes kitties get sick, and the best thing we can do is to make them not be in pain and hurting anymore.

It sucks. There's no questioning that.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:53 PM
I'm worried that honesty might lead to many questions about death and heaven and religion...all subjects I find a little heavy for a 3YO, that's all.

I'm thinking that Herman partying with other cats on a super major rad cat farm right about now, because he's awesome and shit...well, that might be the kinder (EASIER) and less loaded option.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by overwatch View Post
Two months ago my dog of 13 years was put down after being mauled by the dog from next door. And the worst thing about it was that it was the third time that it happened. This time it just happened to be so bad that she had to be put down. I was very wary about the dog next door, because our house basically doesn't have a fence seperating the front and back yards, she is free to walk where she pleases and when my mother is out, she sits out the front on the driveway and waits for her to come home. She does this for hours. Even though I spend most of my time in my room, every time I left my room I made sure I knew where she was. If she was outside, I'd pick her up and bring her in a and close the doors.
Unfortunately the last time she was attacked by the next door dog I was out of town. I'm certain that if I was home it wouldn't have happened. After the second time the dog was attacked I spoke to the next door neighbour, things got heated but stayed civil. When my mother heard about it, she was angry at me for stirring things up. She likes to keep things civil, always smiling at the worst of people. Even when she saw the neighbours (who still maintain that it is our fault our dog was attacked by their dog) she'd say hello and smile and they would ignore her. It wasn't until after our fucking dog died that she said it was her fault for not being more assertive and worrying what the neighbours thought of her, I personally think she said that make it sound as if she was the victim and to get a response from me (aka "no no, don't be so hard on yourself.") But you know what? It was her fucking fault, I told her after the second attack that I would open and close the gate every time she left/entered the house so that our dog wouldn't' run out the front, but she didn't like the inconvenience. I loved that dog, she was my best friend, in the last couple of weeks of her life she actually slept in my room at night. I came home from work one night to find that my mum had moved her bed into my room because she basically lived here anyway.
That neighbor should be fucking sued for having an animal that so easily can attack another animal like that and isn't even leashed!
And yeah, your mom was right, she wussed out and prioritized how other people thought about her over the safety and well-being of her pet.

I'm sorry about your dog. I know how it feels to lose a furry friend.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:26 PM
yes it is terrible when you lose a pet you have had for yrs

Well the first one l lost was a kelpie cross it was so full of life and Cindy would always be with you anywhere you would go

But as she approached 17yrs old she became very sick and we had to put her down

it was so hard seeing her in the vet having the needle to put her asleep but when you think of it you dont want a pet to suffer if they are in pain and if you cant make it well it is better to put them down

Well the most recent dog we have lost is a Black Lab called tess she was full of life and a great freind

She got cancer of the stomach and the cancer was the size of a football you couldnt remove it because it had grown too big

This was so upseting to us and in the end she had a needle to put her asllep but before she had it she sat up and looked at us we were all crying at the thought of waht we were doing

Anyway we left the vets to find a angel which was next to the car and we took it thinking this was a bleesing from God that she was still near

We put a photo of her so we could remeber her and put that angel right next to it
Old 06-13-2011, 09:40 PM
This is why I stick to fish. When they die, you just send 'em on a ride down the porcelain express and buy a couple of new ones.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Well l also had two little goldfish when l was a kid

I over fed the poor things and they died

Also they dont live long
Old 06-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
This is why I stick to fish. When they die, you just send 'em on a ride down the porcelain express and buy a couple of new ones.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Fish live for a very very long time if they are well taken care of. It's just a lot more effort than most people are willing to put into a pet that gives you little reward. Also for some reason people feel less guilty for killing many fish through irresponsibility than one dog. If someone killed their dog because they forgot to feed it there would be a mob at their doorstep.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:13 AM
The less dogs this world has the better.

Unless it's your dog. I love your dog soooooooooo much.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Count, I can feel your pain, believe me. I own 3 miniature schnauzers, one is a teacup that I just bought last year. The other two girls, one is 10 and one is 9 years old. They are my babies and I love them so very much. Last year, I thought I was gonna lose my Heidi. She had spade surgery, and we didn't think she was gonna make it. The doc at first thought it was a tumor, and I went balistic and crying my eyes out at the vet office, screaming at them, telling them that i wanted them to go on with the surgery because I knew in my heart that was going to be the only thing to save her, and I did save the day because they initially wanted to put her to sleep.

You would never guess who helped me through that difficult time. The drummer from the band Sorcery, Perry and I were exchanging emails and he was of great support. I don't think I could have made it through without him. Perry was right there emailing me sending prayers and wishes during her surgery. And when I got the call that she had made it through the surgery, it was a huge weight off my shoulders. I was so happy to be able to bring her home and take care of her.

I'd just like to say that I'm sorry for your loss. I know it's difficult. I am teary -eyed just thinking about my girls. They are such loving souls, and I am convinced that pets have a bigger heart than a person does. And I dread the day because they are pretty old now. Ok now I'm gonna cry.

Hugs Count.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:05 PM
When I was like 10 years old, a spurned ex-boyfriend of my older sister ran over my dog Posey on purpose. I was 10 years old. There was nothing I could do to retaliate. Can you imagine how that felt? I think that's where some of my anger issues stem from.

I hope that guy got ran over by a bus later in life.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm with you Elygn, and if you had been a bit older, I'll bet you'd have beat the shit out that ex-bf of your sister's. I know I would have! No holds barred. I don't and won't tolerate people like that.

Let's hope that guy did get ran over by a bus, or maybe even a semi! People like him sure would deserve it!
Old 06-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgyn View Post
When I was like 10 years old, a spurned ex-boyfriend of my older sister ran over my dog Posey on purpose. I was 10 years old. There was nothing I could do to retaliate. Can you imagine how that felt? I think that's where some of my anger issues stem from.

I hope that guy got ran over by a bus later in life.
That was terrible that the exboyfreind of your sister would do this
it would have been terrible for you to have seen him do this
Plus being only ten yrs old would have hit you hard