Old 04-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Life of Pi

So Life of Pi screened some footage at CinemaCon and here are some reactions, courtesy of The Film Stage:

Quote:
@Breznican:

Ok, so Ang Lee’s “Life of Pi” will be getting a best picture Oscar nomination. The footage screened at #CinemaCon could claim one for short!

@firstshowing:

Most impressive footage – Ang Lee’s Life of Pi. Looks magical, wonderful. From what we saw… this is going to be a strong Oscar contender. I just said to @akstanwyck after coming out of Life of Pi footage: “the Oscar race has begun.” Her reply “yes it has.” Looks wonderful.

@colliderfrosty:

They also premiered footage from the fantastic looking Ang Lee Christmas movie LIFE OF PI. 3d looked great. Looks like this years HUGO. Also LIFE OF PI is an absolute Oscar contender for Best Picture. Looked incredible, magical, and everything you want in a movie.

@slashfilm:

Footage from Ang Lee’s Life of Pi screened at CinemaCon: full of cinematic magic, wonder. Underwater 3d stuff looks amazing. I know it’s too early and stupid to make such claims but I’d be amazed if Life of Pi isn’t nominated for Best Picture.

@loquaciousmuse:

Wow. Tons of Life of Pi footage just showed. The co-star is a giant cat! Underwater 3D stuff is wow. I teared up a little at the trailer.

@EriktheMovieman:

Mark my word, based on the footage shown at #cinemacon Ang Lee’s LIFE OF PI is going to be a MAJOR player at this year’s Oscars.

@moiseschiu:

LIFE OF PI footage absolutely wrecked me. I cried. Choking up thinking about it. This doesn’t happen to me. The master at work. #cinemacon

@LynneMcQ:

Ang Lee’s LIFE OF PI looks so special, wonderful to hear him speak about it, can’t wait to see him bring that book to life #CinemaCon

@AmyKinLA:

“Life of Pi” footage didn’t disappoint. The waves and underwater scenes look amazing in 3-D. #CinemaCon
It was only about 10 minutes of footage so take it with a grain of salt, but this is certainly encouraging.

Last edited by Bourne101; 04-26-2012 at 05:06 PM..
Old 04-26-2012, 03:27 PM
NICE!

Didn't think it would be getting such high praise because honestly, with the way this project has been perculating i thought it would be burnt by now.

I had this feeling that critics will rip it apart, but now after seeing these reactions: I'm not so sure. Still though, apparently the animals are all CGI which really, really, sucks.

Def. reading the book before watching this one.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:48 PM
If the movie looks anything like that still, I'm going to LOVE the look of this.

Can't wait for a trailer.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:47 PM
The book is one of my all-time favorites, and judging by those tweets it seems like Lee has absolutely nailed it. I think the thing I was most worried about concerning a film adaptation would be the likelihood of it placing more emphasis on the quirkiness and whimsy of the story instead of focusing on the sublime thematic undercurrents (particularly concerning Pi's faith) that were so deeply affecting in the book. Well, it looks like I have nothing to worry about after all.

Definitely in my top 3 most anticipated of the year.

Last edited by Reckoner; 04-26-2012 at 06:00 PM..
Old 04-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
Still though, apparently the animals are all CGI which really, really, sucks.
I think I heard somewhere that Lee was using the same technology as Rise of the Planet of the Apes, which I would say is a good thing.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:15 AM
http://youtu.be/3mMN693-F3U

looks pretty surreal
Old 07-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Can't watch the trailer yet though I'll get to it the minute I can, but did anyone else see the 3D footage that aired in front of Prometheus (in standard theatres)? It was the crazy fish scene that was one of the segments screened at Cinemacon and it looked fantastic. The 3D was very well-done.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:55 AM
trailer - http://afterthecut.com/2012/07/25/trailer-life-of-pi/
Old 07-25-2012, 11:18 AM

Alright finally got to watch the trailer. Seems like an instant Oscar contender for art direction at the very least.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:05 PM
This shot up my most anticipated movies of the year list....it's like Cast Away with a tiger friend.

Too bad in the trailer they showed the fate of the tiger.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Eh, looks really uninteresting to me.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
Too bad in the trailer they showed the fate of the tiger.
Nope, not at all.

Probably only behind The Master for my most anticipated of the year. The book is one of my all time favorites and it looks like Lee and co have nailed it...at least visually. Can't wait to see what they did with the heavily spiritual themes of the novel.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:49 PM
Looks like a kid version of Cast Away. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. We'll see. The one thing I will say is that visually it looks astonishing!
Old 09-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Director of Life of Pi, Ang Lee talks about his highly anticipated film - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-1Y9
Old 09-28-2012, 01:58 PM
I just came back from the world premiere of Life of Pi at the NYFF for press and industry and I was blown away.

It's a beautiful film that uses 3D not as a gimmick but to enhance it's image 10 fold. One of the best films of the year, so vibrant and colorful. A true tale of faith, survival and the triumph.

Afterwards Ang Lee, Suraj Sharma, the author of the book Yann Martel, and one of the Warner Bros. people spoke about the film. Lee mentioned how he thought doing this film in 2D was impossible and how he brought an actual survivor at sea on board as a consultant, and Suraj used him for inspiration and direction in the film.

it's an amazing film - one of the best of the year no doubt in my mind it'll be in the awards race for several categories.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Exclusive to ATC - Ang Lee and Suraj Sharma talk about Life of Pi at the world premiere this morning at the 50th New York Film Festival - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2a3