Old 12-22-2011, 03:37 AM
Cloud Atlas [2012] - Wachowski's

The film is based on the 2004 novel Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.

Wikipedia

Synopsis: "[It is] an epic story of humankind in which the actions and consequences of our lives impact one another throughout the past, present and future as one soul is shaped from a murderer into a savior and a single act of kindness ripples out for centuries to inspire a revolution."

Cast:

Speaking with the New York Times (via The Playlist), Berry said that it’s actually hard to keep track of all the different actors on set given the intense amount of makeup going into their characters:
Quote:
“Some days I go into the trailer, I’ll be having a conversation — I won’t even know it’s with Hugh Grant until five minutes in.”
End of production set photo

and some shots from the production

Spoiler:

Last edited by Digifruitella; 12-22-2011 at 03:53 AM..
Old 12-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Who is that monkey with purple hair?
Old 12-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
Who is that monkey with purple hair?
Hey, leave Lar----I mean, LANA alone!
Old 12-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Films quality is irrelevant, has Keith David.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
Films quality is irrelevant, has Keith David.
Agreed, we need an image that summarizes the concept similar to this:

Old 12-22-2011, 02:12 PM
http://qkme.me/35k34x

Last edited by adamjohnson; 12-22-2011 at 02:16 PM..
Old 12-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Keith David looks like he's doing his very best Murtaugh impression. I like that.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
Excellent!
Old 12-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Concept art + still:

Spoiler:

Old 12-28-2011, 09:51 AM
Doesnt matter; has Keith david.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:48 PM
It's actually written and co-directed by the Wachowskis and Tom Tykwer.

I've been following this project/meaning to read this book for ages but Tykwer's involvement has me sold on this no matter what - he's my favourite working director and one of the most underrated imo. Perfume and Princess & the Warrior are two of my favourite films. Really dig Run Lola Run, Three, Heaven, and The International (despite some bad dialogue in the latter). The only film I haven't liked of his is Winter Sleepers.

I picked up Mitchell's Ghostwritten once in a Chapters by happenstance and ended up reading a quarter of the book in-store. It was good stuff. I've started Cloud Atlas several times but I found it more difficult to approach. I might just end up waiting for the movie instead. The concept art looks crazy.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:35 PM
Might be my favourite book of the 2000s, love all of Mitchell's work, so i'm really excited for this.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Runtime: 2 hours 44 minutes
Release Date: December 6, 2012

http://collider.com/cloud-atlas-rele...untime/166949/
Old 05-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Runtime: 2 hours 44 minutes
Release Date: December 6, 2012

http://collider.com/cloud-atlas-rele...untime/166949/
Nice! Cloud Atlas, Life of Pi, The Hobbit, Zero Dark Thirty, Django Unchained, One Shot, and The Great Gatsby...shaping up to be an awesome month! Nice to have a bunch of high-profile, non-sequel, non-comic book films for Christmas .

I was wondering what or how they cut things down with the 2h44 min runtime, considering the script was 230 pages but on further thinking, the script probably works out to less than a minute per page because of the constant transitions between scenes. Most anticipated movie of the year for me, no question.

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 05-17-2012 at 04:22 PM..
Old 05-17-2012, 04:45 PM
i'm psyched too. mainly because it's wachowskis
Old 05-17-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm happy to hear the run time and that it's getting picked up by Warner Bros., no surprise there.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Hmm. Just read that they were contractually obligated to come in under 2 hours and 30 minutes but Warners' president Jeff Robinov waived that requirement and Warners bought the domestic distribution rights for $20 mill.

Crossing my fingers that that's a good sign for the quality of the film itself...
Old 05-18-2012, 02:34 AM
Looks like a great year just got even better.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:02 PM
They've begun screening apparently.

Quote:
"...early reactions from a source, including that it's like The Matrix meets V for Vendetta meets Babel meets Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, which sounds kind of awesome overall. The editing is apparently the best part of the movie, as it does balance all six storylines well, and overall it's beautiful and affecting, shot rather classically, without fancy camera movements or anything that is technically groundbreaking..."
http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/det...ly-3-hour-cut/
Old 06-19-2012, 07:16 PM
I really can't wait for this. Script was pretty great and after the disappointment that was Prometheus, I have my hopes for ambitious epics pinned on this movie.
And now it's being released a full month earlier, on OCTOBER 26.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/06/warn...r-cloud-atlas/

Soooo that's barely over four months from now. Where's the damn trailer already?!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 PM
Your article will display in 15...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwd9mNXu3Uc
Old 07-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
They've begun screening apparently.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/det...ly-3-hour-cut/
Sounds good to me. I like three of those 4 movies. The only part I'm not keen on is the Babel comparison, as I did not care for that movie. However, if they mean in terms of having multiple plot threads, then I'm fine with that as I enjoyed Traffic and Syriana.

Dang, December is going to be an awesome month film-wise.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Actually Cloud Atlas was moved up to late October.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:34 PM
So... where's the trailer?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:43 PM
Crossing my fingers it'll be in front of Dark Knight Rises. It's distributed by Warner Bros so that seems the most likely and perfect fit.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Actually Cloud Atlas was moved up to late October.
I just saw that, my mistake.

Still, the second half of this year looks amazing as far as films go.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:14 AM
First Look - Cloud Atlas - http://afterthecut.com/2012/07/25/fi...las/#more-4724
Old 07-25-2012, 07:19 PM
...And here we go.

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 07-25-2012 at 07:21 PM..
Old 07-25-2012, 07:20 PM

Old 07-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Looks wonderful, just as expected from the Wachowskis (I know Tykwer is on board too, but there's no doubt the more visual pieces are probably Wachowskis parts). I'm pretty sure this surge of photos means they're starting the marketing machine and a trailer is just around the corner. No doubt about it!
Old 07-25-2012, 07:52 PM
It's great to see Hugh Grant in another movie. And in a non comedic role too. I always thought one of my favorite movie's of his and one of my favorite performances of his was the underrated thriller Extreme Measures.

Anyway, some really great images there. Can't wait for a trailer.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:09 PM
From an unverified post on IMDb that based this off of set reports, etc, the breakdown of segments seems to be:

Ewing: Wachowskis (1800s one)
Zedelghem: Tykwer (1930s one)
Luisa Rey: Tykwer (1970s one)
Cavendish: Tykwer (early 2000s)
Sonmi: Wachowskis (dystopian future)
Sloosha's Crossin': Wachowskis (distant post-apocalyptic future)

It's a little disappointing to me that the Wachowskis are taking on the post-apocalyptic setting (and all the most visual ones). I would have LOVED to see Tykwer take on at least one of the more cinematic stories but the Wachowskis got all three.

It looks good but I think Tykwer taking on the post-apocalyptic one would have been something to see. Tykwer's my favourite working director and he's got an incredible eye visually (the last shot of Heaven is just perfection). I was really hoping to see him take on the post-apocalyptic one or the 1800s one but I guess they all figured they would play to each others' previously established strengths (the three picked for the Wachowskis are definitely the ones most in their comfort zone, ditto with Tykwer's set).

I think (and am hoping) the score will written by Tykwer and his two normal collaborators - which would be amazing because the Perfume score is one of my favourite scores of the past several years.

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 07-25-2012 at 08:17 PM..
Old 07-25-2012, 08:19 PM
I've only seen two of Tykwer's movies: Heaven and The International. I liked The International. It's not particularly original but it's a solid effort with a pretty good gun fight near the end.

I didn't like Heaven at all. If it weren't for Cate Blanchett that movie would have been unbearable to sit through. Even with her, it was still kind of a pretentious chore to sit through.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:25 PM
I personally think Heaven is pretty great but it was done as a tribute to/written by Kieslowski (was going to be directed by him before he died) so it's like a cross between the two of them. I like The International; I think it's underrated and on a technical level, it's impeccably made as usual for him but it's crippled by some poor dialogue. Three is a pretty good but minor work for him. It's kind of him letting loose a bit again and just playing around - it's somewhere between the extremes of Run Lola Run and the methodical pacing of his other work. His two masterpieces though are Princess & the Warrior and Perfume as far as I'm concerned. Princess & the Warrior is closer to Heaven in tone so I wouldn't recommend that as much to you, but I think you should give Perfume a try, ilovemovies. It's a darkly gorgeous film that mixes all kinds of tones and somehow makes it all work - from dark comedy to romantic suspense/horror. I personally think the story feels surprisingly full and epic for a $60 million movie though with a very divisive ending (that I dug). I've also watched it something like 10+ times.

Also, here's the title image/font from Facebook:

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 07-25-2012 at 08:37 PM..
Old 07-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
...And here we go.

Where the fuck is Keith David??
Old 07-25-2012, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
I personally think Heaven is pretty great but it was done as a tribute to/written by Kieslowski (was going to be directed by him before he died) so it's like a cross between the two of them. I like The International; I think it's underrated and on a technical level, it's impeccably made as usual for him but it's crippled by some poor dialogue. Three is a pretty good but minor work for him. It's kind of him letting loose a bit again and just playing around - it's somewhere between the extremes of Run Lola Run and the methodical pacing of his other work. His two masterpieces though are Princess & the Warrior and Perfume as far as I'm concerned. Princess & the Warrior is closer to Heaven in tone so I wouldn't recommend that as much to you, but I think you should give Perfume a try, ilovemovies. It's a darkly gorgeous film that mixes all kinds of tones and somehow makes it all work - from dark comedy to romantic suspense/horror. I personally think the story feels surprisingly full and epic for a $60 million movie though with a very divisive ending (that I dug). I've also watched it something like 10+ times.
I forgot that he did Run Lola Run too. I saw that one as well. It's pretty good, though overpraised and not nearly as deep as I had heard it was. But still fairly enjoyable.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:58 PM
pictures look cool and I have NO IDEA what to expect with this film
Old 07-26-2012, 01:58 AM
A 5 minute trailer has leaked online:

http://www.joblo.com/video/player.ph...s-long-trailer

Looks fantastic!
Old 07-26-2012, 02:29 AM
Despite the fact that the trailer is more than 5 minutes long, I STILL have no idea what the movie is about. But it looks very intriguing though.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:48 AM
Ambitious indeed. That looks mental.