Old 10-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Decent Sword & Sorcery Flicks

This is partially a rant, and a way for me to think out loud, and partially a question.

Why are there so few good sword and sorcery films? That's the basic question. The 80's and 90's were certainly friendly to the genre; the game DnD exploded, Robert Jordan's novels took off, Conan, Krull and other fantasy flicks prospered. Still there was definitely a negative stigma to those who liked Dungeons and Dragons and fantasy lit. People could justify Conan by Arnold, violence and women, so that wasn't nerdy, and movies like Labyrinth, Legend and Dark Crystal were written off as childrens movies. The 90's (in my memory) lacked anything major in film from a fantasy point of view, but then again Robert Jordan was a best seller, Terry Goodkind took over the NY Time Best Sellers list, and the Redwall books skyrocketed. Then came Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings movies which, I think, boosted the popularity of the genre and also shook off some of the stigma. But again that was short lived, Harry Potter got increasingly dark and realistic and the LOTR movies could only last so long. Here we are now almost 10 years later waiting for the release of The Hobbit, which will certainly do well at the box office. So my question is, why are there only a few decent S&S flicks (granted Harry Potter really isn't S&S)?

It would seem to me that the Sword and Sorcery films that are given a decent budget seem to succeed. Can some of that success be explained by LOTR's prior success as a literary work? probably. Legend of the Seeker, the television show has achieved a huge cult following of late, and even though it was cancelled was a financial success. So again, why do we see so little of the genre? hell I even liked Uwe Boll's In the Name of the King. The Dungeons and Dragons movies are always a little disappointing. Fantasy, on screen requires a larger budget than they are often willing to grant, which again i find confusing given the fact that when it is granted a budget it tends to succeed.

I'll toss viking oriented flicks like Ring of the Nibelung (which is fucking awesome) into the genre for the sake of this thread as well.

So let's try and compile a list of good Sword and Sorcery movies, or even more losely fantasy. Maybe in doing this we can string together a pattern and explanation.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:50 PM
would Willow qualify?
Old 10-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Fond of The Sword and the Sorcerer. Cheesy as fuck these days I don't doubt. But it's silly, fun and gory as fuck.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Hawk The Slayer!!!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:42 PM
ROAR
Old 10-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Lord of the Rings is Sword and Sorcery now?
Old 10-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
would Willow qualify?
I'm a big fan of Willow; it's been too long since I've seen it.

Gonna throw in The Highlander as an example. It doesn't have much sorcery - at least the original didn't, some of the sequels did - but it has some great swordfighting scenes and there's no doubt it has fantasy elements.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Space View Post
I'll toss viking oriented flicks like Ring of the Nibelung (which is fucking awesome) into the genre for the sake of this thread as well.
I love that movie. It is awesome.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Not sure if you're looking for suggestions or anything, but Army of Darkness HAS to qualify. Great movie. Not exactly a new release though...
Old 10-14-2012, 02:15 PM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 05:21 PM..
Old 10-15-2012, 07:29 AM
If we're going by Norse mythology, does Thor count?

Hmm what else... Ladyhawke? How about The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (although granted, it's more Middle-Eastern)?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:05 AM
You could try:

Soloman Kane
Black Death
Season of the Witch

Pretty modern and I think combine swords and sorcery
Old 10-16-2012, 10:57 PM
Sorry it took me a few days to get back to this thread, the LOTR forums I take part in just had one of the central figures die and we're trying to clean up a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald View Post
Lord of the Rings is Sword and Sorcery now?
Well the argument could certainly be made, and if nothing more, Tolkiens work was a catalyst for later S&S works. If you want to talk more about categorizing the works of Tolkien do feel free to contact me, it's a fun discussion to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
I love that movie. It is awesome.
I think you were the one who recommended it to me a few years back! I love the ending, very norse in execution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonham View Post
Not sure if you're looking for suggestions or anything, but Army of Darkness HAS to qualify. Great movie. Not exactly a new release though...
I agree it definitely has elements of S&S. That film really is a melting pot of genres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Montana View Post
If we're going by Norse mythology, does Thor count?

Hmm what else... Ladyhawke? How about The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (although granted, it's more Middle-Eastern)?
I don't think Thor counts, though i have made a few threads (ok 7 years ago but whatever) about Norse films. For the purpose of expanding the genre which doesn't have a ton of flicks in it I expanded the parameters of the definition but I'd like to keep it more or less out of modern settings.

While I love the recommendations and a few of them are new to me (figures Cronos would come up with something I've never heard of), I'd liek to focus the thread on WHY there aren't that many.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:05 PM
call me old school but The Beastmaster rocked .... who cares if the tiger died 2 years later from cancer from the black paint he was covered to make him look like a kick-ass black tiger ( like tiger aren't kick-ass on their own )

who knew it was the same director as the Phastasn serie and Bubba Ho-Tep movies
Old 10-17-2012, 01:25 AM
Paul Verhoeven...

Old 10-17-2012, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
who cares if the tiger died 2 years later from cancer from the black paint he was covered to make him look like a kick-ass black tiger
I never ever knew that. I look at the film much differently knowing this now. And for so many years The Beastmaster was a favorite of mine. That is so sad to learn.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
I never ever knew that. I look at the film much differently knowing this now. And for so many years The Beastmaster was a favorite of mine. That is so sad to learn.
forever a softie.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Seems the picture I posted above isn't showing up.

It was Paul Verhoeven's Flesh + Blood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VOy1JZBH5c

Try and see the unrated version if you haven't seen it before.