Old 04-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Trance

Directed by Danny Boyle

Written by Joe Ahearne and John Hodge

Plot: An art auctioneer who has become mixed up with a group of criminals partners with a hypnotherapist in order to recover a lost painting.

Starring: James McAvoy, Vincent Cassel, Rosario Dawson

Rated R for sexual content, graphic nudity, violence, some grisly images, and language

Runtime: 101 minutes

After a couple of duds, I can say I'm actually looking forward to a Danny Boyle film. I'll probably catch a matinee.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:33 PM
What duds? I didn't think 127 Hours was as great as a lot of people, but it was still good.

I actually still haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire yet, so I can't comment on that movie.

And Sunshine had a weak 3rd act where it basically turns into a slasher movie in space, but I'd still say it was a solid effort on is part.

Those were his last 3 films.

Anyway, definitely looking forward to this. The trailer makes it look like a really fun mindfuck of a movie!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Why ask "what duds?" when you've already given me the answer.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Because, Slumdog aside, which I haven't seen, I wouldn't call those movies duds. Flawed, sure. But not duds.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:54 PM
I'm afraid that, this too, is a dud.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Because, Slumdog aside, which I haven't seen, I wouldn't call those movies duds. Flawed, sure. But not duds.
I think you'd quite like Slumdog, ilovemovies, I wouldn't call it a dud, but each to their own
Old 04-05-2013, 02:32 AM

I'm definitely up for seeing this film. Love me some Rosario Dawson (and I still can't believe Boyle is hittin that damn)

I pretty much love all of Boyle's films. Sunshine & 127 Hours were both brilliantly made imo.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:00 AM
I love all of Boyle's movies with the exception of 127 Hours. Over-rated, boring bullshit IMO. Slumdog Millionaire was fun as hell and Sunshine I believe, is one of the greatest sci-fi movies ever made!

Having said all of that, I will definitely check this one out!
Old 04-07-2013, 01:23 PM
I'd like to check this out once it goes a bit wider.

From what I've heard from a couple of people, it's middle of the spectrum Boyle fare. They both say it's definitely good but not one of his best, with some great performances, fast and frentic editing, and great performances with a little surrealism cherry thrown on top.

That sounds like the Boyle I love. I totally get the love for and technical achievement of 127 Hours, indeed I think it is a wonderfully crafted/incredibly well acted film-but I doubt I will ever watch it a second time. I honestly do not and probably wont ever understand the love for Slumdog as it is not only my least favorite of his, but a film I genuinely disliked. Sunshine was the last of his that I truly loved and with the talk of Trainspotting 2 starting I am excited to see him make more a return to form with Trance.

Not too say I don't appreciate how much he has proven himself to be a versatile filmmaker, he's just way more fun IMO when he isn't concerned with awards season.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:25 AM
The theft of a high priced painting opens the door to a multi layered brain tripping
story in Director Danny Boyle's Trance.Thats about all i can say about Trance
without giving to much away.
The 3 leads James McAvoy as a fine-art auctioneer, named
Simon,Vincent Cassel as Franck a thief and leader of the heist crew,and Rosario Dawson
as Elizabeth a sexy Hypnotherapist blend right into this brain teaser of a story as they talk directly to the
audience and mislead the audience.

Some of the action and twists are overdone and head for the preposterous zone,but when the
film ended i was still putting the pieces together and connecting the dots.Proof that most of Boyle's
red herrings,distractions and stunning visuals set to a pulsating soundtrack worked.
Writers Joe Ahearne and John Hodge borrow a bit from films like Inception and Memento.
With the inclusion of repressed memories due to traumatic events connected to the memory and
one memory eclipsing another due to guilt or remorse.

Trance may lose its way a couple of times,but this is one sexy,mind bending thriller that aims to please and
does in various ways.

Scale of 1-10 an 8

SIDE NOTE:

The Q and A after the movie with Danny Boyle was great.Some of the highlights:

Boyle stated that Rosario Dawson is so hot,he had to give her a cool flat in the film.

Michael Fassbender was cast as Franck but had to drop out .Boyle said when he met with him
Fassbender asked if he could wear a dress at some point in the film.To this day Boyle says
he doesnt know if Fassbender was joking or not.

Everyone met with Hypnotherapists before filming started ,but on their own.No one wanted to be
put under in front of anyone,out of fear of what they might say or do.

Boyle wanted to make the film in New York

The auction house used in the film is Sotheby's

He hopes that people still go to theatres stating there is
Nothing like sitting in a dark room with strangers watching images
flicker on the big screen
Old 04-15-2013, 01:40 AM
I definitely dug the film. The style and music are rampant, but I think they suited the narrative well and never went too far over the line for my taste. Boyle likes to experiment and he's done a good job crafting the tone and feel of this film. McAvoy and Dawson are excellent and get to go to some places I was not expecting, which is essentially how I feel about the entire film. It may be style over substance to an extent, but I was actually surprised by what the film ended up having to say. There may be some plot holes, but I didn't really care because Boyle and co. sufficiently had me in their grip.

Spoiler:
Critic Drew McWeeny compared the film to Eternal Sunshine and I think that's a really apt and thoughtful comparison because the film mostly ends up being about the nature of obsessive relationships and dependency as told through a lens of memory and memory loss. For the entire film I thought there was one major contrivance until it was revealed that Elisabeth had asked him to steal a painting for her, and then it all clicked into place quite well for me.

Not an unqualified success, but a fun, stylish, and thoughtful time at the movies for me with some nice Boyle flair.

Last edited by SpikeDurden; 04-15-2013 at 10:12 AM..
Old 04-15-2013, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
I think you'd quite like Slumdog, ilovemovies, I wouldn't call it a dud, but each to their own
Oh, I wasn't calling it a dud. I don't think I'd call any movie that won best picture at the Academy Awards a dud. Even if I don't like it (like The King's Speech, a best picture winner I didn't really care for). Besides, I wouldn't call any movie I haven't seen a dud because, well, I haven't seen it.

It was Lazy Boy who called it a dud. Not me. I was merely disagreeing with him on 127 Hours and Sunshine being a dud.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Oh, I wasn't calling it a dud. I don't think I'd call any movie that won best picture at the Academy Awards a dud. Even if I don't like it (like The King's Speech, a best picture winner I didn't really care for). Besides, I wouldn't call any movie I haven't seen a dud because, well, I haven't seen it.

It was Lazy Boy who called it a dud. Not me. I was merely disagreeing with him on 127 Hours and Sunshine being a dud.
Oh yeah, sorry that was unclear, I knew you didn't call it a dud
Old 04-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Saw this yesterday and it was pretty good. Immediately after the movie I thought it was really good but the more I think about it the more I dislike it

Perhaps they could have spent more time developing other charecters? We really only get the dirt on 2.5 of them throughout the whole film. Rosario looks damn good though.

1-10, I give it a 7.