Old 05-16-2013, 10:13 PM
The Office: Series FInale

Just finished watching this and I gotta chat about it!

One of the best series finales I have ever seen. It wrapped everything up so perfectly and of course

Spoiler:
Michael Scott coming back, and the way they did it, and the way Jim did it within the episode, broke me down to tears in seconds!

I always get that feeling in series finales, that pit in your stomach sad feeling, and this one hit that note perfectly.

This is the first show I can remember watching from the first episode on TV to the final on a first run basis... I was a fan of the original Ricky Gervais Office, and when this one came on I loved it!

From the start to the finish it was a great story with great comedy and some of the best written emotional moments of any TV show, and this series finale was absolutely perfect.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:11 AM
YES!

What a perfect way to wrap up the show. It was full of laughs, tears and surprises. I totally agree with you on the spoiler.

The 1 hour retrospective before the finale was also very good. My 2nd favorite comedy behind 'Friends' will have to go down in history as one of the funniest comedy TV shows ever.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:36 AM
That's how you do a proper finale. I expected to tear up more, as I had done with the previous 2 episodes of the season and the retrospective, but for the most part I just had a smile on my face the whole time.

I'll really miss this show. Even when everyone was bashing it for being a shadow of its former self, it was still consistently funny and entertaining.

Andy's final words to camera really got me more than anyone else.
Spoiler:
I wish there was a way to know you were in the good ol' days before you've left them.
You could tell Ed Helms was really breaking up as he was delivering that.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Turned off the finale after about 20 minutes. Found it excruciating. I missed Michael Scott? Oh well. I have seasons 1-5 of the Office and that's all I need.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Is it wrong that I've never watched an episode of this show? Like EVER???
Old 05-17-2013, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
It's funny, and I enjoyed the first half of its run, but its nowhere near as groundbreaking as they tried to play it off. It made Steve Carell a star, so I will always thank it for that.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Only the first 3 seasons are truly great. After that, it gets weaker with each passing season. And I still blame Jim and Pam getting together as being the main catalyst of said decline. Rashida Jones' Karen would've made a far more interesting long-term romantic interest for Jim, IMO.

Honestly, given how bad the show had gotten last season, I decided not to even bother watching this final season... though I guess it's nice to hear the show went out on a high note.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post
but its nowhere near as groundbreaking as they tried to play it off. I
Well to be fair, it did bring the mockumentary sitcom to America at a time when that hadn't been seen and has inspired countless sitcoms that followed their lead. It also was a pioneer of webisodes on a major show. And while the series undeniably ended in somewhat of a tailspin, letting their main love story be concluded by the end of the third season is fairly ballsy for a network sitcom.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
Well to be fair, it did bring the mockumentary sitcom to America at a time when that hadn't been seen and has inspired countless sitcoms that followed their lead. It also was a pioneer of webisodes on a major show. And while the series undeniably ended in somewhat of a tailspin, letting their main love story be concluded by the end of the third season is fairly ballsy for a network sitcom.
I don't believe it concluded at the end of the third season. I felt as if they were always the prominent storyline and found it very stagnant for the final, Christ, 5 years. But I'll give them credit for bringing over the mockumentary format, for sure.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:03 AM
In a way, the conclusion felt fitting, while in others it felt inconclusive. The return of Michael Scott felt natural, as well as the transition of Jim and Pam's relationship. I'm glad that it's finally over, I just wish it ended a years ago.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:27 PM
I really enjoyed the finale. The retro show before the finale was very cool, too. I'm sure it was
Spoiler:
Carell's idea to make his return minimal so it wouldn't become 'The Michael Scott Show'. He also gave us a classic Michael Scott line, "It's like all my kids grew up and married each other. It's every parents' dream."

As much as I haven't really enjoyed the show the last one and half seasons, the finale and few weeks leading up to it were very entertaining. I will definitely miss The Office and will revisit it a lot.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:16 AM
This was one of the best finales I've ever seen. It had a perfect blend of humor, emotion and even plot which is more than I can say about most show's finales these days. With that being said, the show was down right bad after Michael Scott left and I was really not expecting much from this finale but it really did blow me away.

Spoiler:
Michael Scott's return could arguably go down as one of the best moments of the entire show especially since his first line was "that's what she said"

Spoiler:
It's about time Creed got arrested.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Damn, I might have to give this a go on OnDemand and not be so bitter going into it, lol. I didn't expect overwhelming love for this as this show has jaded a lot of JoBlo'ers, myself included.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:39 PM
I thought it was "ok".
I hated the Q&A session bits to no end.
There were some funny moments, such as Dwight with the stripper waitress.

I like Jim's commitment to do everything he could to improve Dwight's day and Bachelor Party.

I agree that Ed Helm's final line was beautiful. I thought his going away song when he quit working in the office was more poignant, though.

Whatever the case, even after season 5 there were hilarious moments, but it was hardly worth going more than one or two more seasons after Michael left.
Which surprises me, because I didn't expect it to be THAT MUCH less interesting.

The biggest problem I had was that all management after Michael were so irresponsible, blatantly repulsive in their actions and abusive of their authority that there was no way in HELL they could legally get away with their behavior. It alienated me from the show and it's pseudo-reality.

Michael Scott, on the other hand, did horrible things and made blatantly ignorant decisions, but there was no ill-intent behind it. He was a good guy at heart, and it was his child-like sense of life and living that made his actions "acceptable". He did things with the best of intentions, not for selfish gain.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:18 AM
The finale was the perfect closure to an amazing (hilarious) show. Every character had their moment and the appearance of one character in particular, quite unexpectedly I might add, made me cheer.

It sucks that it's over but the series needed its end. As far as series finales go, I'd put this one up close to the top.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFreak1827 View Post
Every character had their moment
The opening had me rolling: "At least mine's chocolate" was pure Kevin.