Old 08-20-2012, 06:52 AM
Tony Scott

I'm sure you've doubtless all heard about the tragic death of Tony Scott. I'd say the film world has lost a great director and producer.

A great filmography, without any stinkers in my opinion.

My personal favourite is a toss-up between True Romance and Crimson Tide.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:54 AM
I actually still need to see True Romance.

But Crimson Tide is my favorite of his. Denzel and Hackman going to toe to toe. It just doesn't get any better than that. Acting fireworks.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:15 AM
Crimson Tide by a mile.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:34 AM
True Romance. It's one of those formative films for me as a child. I saw it at a drive-in. It was almost traumatizing in the best way possible. I wasn't sure if Clarence lived or not, but I never forgot that image of his eye being covered in blood. Pieces of the movie always stuck with me. It has such an infectious quality. And now, once I start watching it, it's easy for me to keep it on. Everybody is absolutely great in it, and you can feel how much everyone enjoyed being in that film. The performances are all pretty great in their own way from Christian Slater being so cool as Clarence down to the weird Angelino Clarence talks to at the burger shack. It was also a great combination of two talented filmmakers. Tony Scott complimented Tarantino's writing so well, possibly even better than Tarantino in some ways, which is crazy to admit. The film is a roller coaster, which is funny because they throw one in the film just because. I feel that True Romance had the right kind of story to channel all of Tony Scott's energy, because some times, Tony Scott can have too much energy for a movie. But when he has the right script, it can be magic.

Last edited by Cop No. 633; 08-20-2012 at 07:36 AM..
Old 08-20-2012, 08:55 AM
True Romance for me as well.
Tony made the world a better place by directing that masterpiece.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:07 AM
I'm probably the oddball in that my favourite film of his is Spy Game, which I can watch countless times.

I never agreed with all the criticism about his cutting style and so forth. I thought most of his films were very well made, entertaining and not without soul.

The world is a worse place without him in it.

RIP
Old 08-20-2012, 11:52 AM
I've liked all of his film I've seen. R.I.P.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:08 PM
I have most of his films on dvd. I didn't think Domino was bad. True Romance was obviously the best of the bunch (#659 in my top 1,000 US/UK list) followed by Crimson Tide (on my top 1,000 honorable mentions list). RIP
Old 08-20-2012, 12:12 PM
I think the only movie of his that I like is Enemy of the State. True Romance is monstrously overrated. Most of his output in the past decade or so (Spy Game, Man on Fire, Deja Vu) was mediocre. And Top Gun and Domino are flat-out awful.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Squid Vicious, your a complete douche. RIP Tony Scott, True Romance is a beautifully crafted movie and it does all the right things. Gary Oldman's character in that is one of his most decorated Villian roles. Top Gun will always live as one of the greatest films of my time. Thanks for all the work you did for movie fans around the world. Your a true inspiration. And its terrible to see your legacy end this way.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Just saw a headline, word is he had inoperable brain cancer. If true, can't say I blame him for the jump. Much better to go out quick than go through the hell of wasting away.

Man on Fire is easily in my top 10-15 of all time.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:38 PM
1. True Romance
2. Man on Fire
3. Spy Game

The guy was very talented. We lost a good one
Old 08-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingFellaDriver16 View Post
Squid Vicious, your a complete douche.
Um...okay. All I said was that, overall, I'm not really a fan of Scott's work. It's not like I wrote anything like this.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Solid director, horrible story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
I have most of his films on dvd. I didn't think Domino was bad. True Romance was obviously the best of the bunch (#659 in my top 1,000 US/UK list) followed by Crimson Tide (on my top 1,000 honorable mentions list). RIP
You have a top 1000 list?
Old 08-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Raging: his post was reminiscent of a post you had:

Quote:
Not a fan of Tarantino. Pulp Fiction wasn't the worst experience I've had watching a movie in terms of thinking "oh my god when will this be over!" but it ranks pretty high up there with some other
did anyone call you a "Douche".. I dont think so.. consider this a warning (that I probably shouldn't even be giving.) that type of posting is not welcome here.

As for Scott... one of my all time favorites is Enemy of the State, the guy had a great style, even though Domino goes down as one of his least successful, the way he shot that movie and its look is impressive.

I also love the under rated Taking of Pelham remake.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Man on Fire is my favourite of his. I also enjoyed Taking of Pelham 123, Unstoppable, Deja Vu and I'll have to watch Domino again as well. I found it a bit obnoxious upon recent rewatch earlier this year.... But yeah. Oh, I also enjoyed True Romance too.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Solid director, horrible story.

You have a top 1000 list?
With a 150+ honorable mentions US/UK list (no foreign/short/documentaries). I also have about 3,000 US/UK list but its unrefined. I'll eventually post it when things get slow on the Best/Worst/Favorites forum.

Tony Scott was definitely a solid director with a unique directing/cutting style. I always looked forward to his films. Enemy of the State was also highly enjoyable.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:14 PM
I really can't think of a movie of his that I dind't like. I know he caught a lot of flack recently for the acid trip/rapid fire editing/whatever people called it but I really enjoyed the gritty visuals of his later movies (Post Enemy of the State was when I really notice it)
Old 08-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
Raging: his post was reminiscent of a post you had:

did anyone call you a "Douche".. I dont think so.. consider this a warning (that I probably shouldn't even be giving.) that type of posting is not welcome here.
When he posted that he was quoting somebody else, but not understanding how to quote on forums, just incorporated the original language into his post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Ekerot View Post
Not a fan of Tarantino. Pulp Fiction wasn't the worst experience I've had watching a movie in terms of thinking "oh my god when will this be over!" but it ranks pretty high up there with some other clunkers. Some of the acting was decent but nothing too memorable. Same goes for Inglorious Basterds. Somewhat better movie, decent acting, but overall not so hot. Haven't seen any other Tarantino movies as the 0 for 2 has set a bad precedent for me. I'm open minded but none of his other stuff strikes me as something i'd like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingFellaDriver16 View Post
If your not a fan of Tarantino, than I'd love to hear who you are then. To put PF, in with other " Clunkers" is truely a distaste to a masterpiece. QT's is a master of all NON-LINEAR story telling and if you can't see his genius. I have to question your knowledge/taste.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:11 PM
As I said in the other thread about Tony Scott, he had a really interesting style to his films. It's the kind of branding that a lot of action directors don't have, but he really stood out as an auteur of the genre. His films were thrilling and entertaining as hell, and he was at the center of it all, as a true craftsman should be.

My favorite film of his is Unstoppable which is weird because it was his last film and hasn't really had time to cement itself as a genre classic, but it's also his most exciting in my opinion. I've yet to see True Romance which seems promising. And of course, as much as everyone makes fun of Top Gun for its not-so-subtle homosexual undertones, no one can deny that it's a damn fine movie that packs some quality entertainment in it. The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 and Man on Fire are also cool flicks and they really allow Denzel Washington to showcase his acting chops in a genre where acting often takes a backseat.

Last edited by magjournal; 08-20-2012 at 06:14 PM..
Old 08-21-2012, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishop View Post
I'm probably the oddball in that my favourite film of his is Spy Game, which I can watch countless times.

I never agreed with all the criticism about his cutting style and so forth. I thought most of his films were very well made, entertaining and not without soul.

The world is a worse place without him in it.

RIP
I am another one here.
Spy Game is my most favorite Tony Scott movie. It is also my most favorite "semi-realistic t" type spy movie of all time. (Non-realistic type= James Bond)
I watched Spy Game hundred of times and still love to watch it again and again.
I feel so sad that such a talented director has left us. There aren't all that many good mvoie directors left now.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:12 AM
I liked most of his flms including Beverly Hills Cop II. A very under-rated sequel I thought.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:35 PM
What a grievous loss.

I can't say his work every struck with me, but my sympathy goes out to his family.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:38 PM
Looking over his filmography - he made less movies than I thought he did for some reason. While I wouldn't go so far as to say that he doesn't have any stinkers, of the movies I have seen, Domino was way too long and very tedious, though the final twenty minutes or so were pretty good; Deja Vu was extremely forgettable; Days of thunder was pretty silly.

I haven't seen Top Gun in so long, I'm not sure how kind time has been to it. I loved it as a kid, but I think I caught some of it about ten years ago and didn't think it held up.

But his hits were fantastic:

Beverly Hills Cop II
The Last Boyscout
True Romance
Crimson Tide
Man On Fire

That's a man's list right there. Unstoppable and Pelham 123 were also fantastic, but it's too soon for me to call those all time greats. Enemy of the State was pretty good, but I can't say I loved it. Never saw Spy Game, The Fan, or The Hunger. Saw Revenge way back when it was first on HBO and can't remember anything about it.

And don't forget his BMW film Beat the Devil with Clive Owen, James Brown, Danny Trejo, and Gary Oldman as the devil himself.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:18 AM
Days of Thunder is the only movie of his that I can remember not caring for but it's been so long since I've seen it, I really should give it a rewatch before I truly judge it.

Otherwise, I've pretty much liked all of his movies. Except for True Romance, The Hunger and Revenge all of which I have not seen.

But my ranking of his movies:

Crimson Tide - 9/10
Man on Fire - 8/10
The Last Boy Scout - 7/10
Deja Vu - 7/10
Enemy of the State - 7/10
Unstoppable - 7/10
Domino - 7/10
The Taking of Pelham 123 - 7/10
Beverly Hills Cop III - 7/10
Spy Game - 7/10
The Fan - 7/10
Top Gun - 7/10

Spy Game would have been ranked higher if it were not for the fact that the movie has an extremely anticlimatic and rather abrupt ending.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:23 AM
my favorite movies he directed aside from Top Gun (9/10) are:

the last boy scout 7.5/10

I think this is an underrated movie. I've seen it many times

an enemy of the state 8/10

a great movie. it grabs your attention from the opening scene

True Romance 8/10

Another movie I have seen many times.

beverly hills cop 2 7/10

I also I saw this one a few times

I have always wanted to see Man on Fire but I haven't yet.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:58 AM
Every Sunday at a pub I frequent it's Movie Night at 5pm. They have a HD projector on a 90" screen.
I am supposed to choose the movies.

This Sunday it's TRUE ROMANCE because that's my favorite movie by him.
I am pushing THE BIG LEBOWSKI to next Sunday.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:40 AM
I own True Romance (which is probably my favorite blind buy ever) and Man on Fire. He's made several movies I've enjoyed at one time or another: Top Gun, The Last Boy Scout, Enemy of the State. His style of directing made for some great popcorn movies.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:12 AM
I was thinking about this tonight. With Top Gun, Tony Scott basically paved the way for music video/commercial directors to be taken seriously as Hollywood players. He also essentially created the concept of an "Action Director." Before he set the standard, action movies were mostly made by guys who made dramas. Now we have tons of guys who specialize in action movies. Some people may not like that, but it's fine by me.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Tony may have made formulaic action drivel, but the characters in those movies are actually very well-researched in terms of occupation and lifestyle, if you look close.