Old 10-26-2012, 03:27 PM
FRANKENSTORM!

All yous on da nawth east coast be prepared for Sandy's wet hell.

NCEP's GFS Loop

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/a...l=&imageSize=M

Old 10-26-2012, 03:41 PM
This is what I hate about working in news. I'm getting sent to the beach to cover this on Monday and Tuesday nights in 12 hour shifts. If I don't return, I want you to know that I love all of you... except for LordSimen.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
This is what I hate about working in news. I'm getting sent to the beach to cover this on Monday and Tuesday nights in 12 hour shifts. If I don't return, I want you to know that I love all of you... except for LordSimen.
lol
Stay safe Davey
Old 10-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Sorry..(seriously, stay safe Davey!)

Old 10-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Yes l heard about that super storm New York is going to have
I hope the people and members who live in this area keep safe

I heard it is going to cause alot of damage and flooding

hey Erroneous you come from newyork city l hope you will be taking care of yourself and your family through this
Old 10-27-2012, 12:00 AM
Old 10-27-2012, 02:12 AM
Why are hurricanes named after women?
Old 10-27-2012, 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
They're not.

Hurricane Andrew anyone?

This is for all ya'll up North.

Last edited by electriclite; 10-27-2012 at 02:25 AM..
Old 10-27-2012, 02:20 AM
^^Charley, Floyd...

But to play along...

Quote:
Because they show up all wet and when they leave you've your house.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriclite View Post
They're not.

Hurricane Andrew anyone?
Did I say named only after women? As Bondgirl would say, "Geez."

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
^^Charley, Floyd...

But to play along...

Because they show up all wet and when they leave you've your house.
They take your home and your car, thank you. Ten points for anyone who gets the movie that I was referring to.

Last edited by creekin111; 10-27-2012 at 02:28 AM..
Old 10-27-2012, 02:30 AM
Quote:

They take your home and your car, thank you. Ten points for anyone who gets the movie that I was referring to.

Hey, some humor doesn't translate so obviously on the net.

To be honest though upon first reading, it sounded like you had misquoted Ed Harris in "The Abyss".
Old 10-27-2012, 02:34 AM
Nope not The Abyss.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Nope not The Abyss.
No, I wasn't guessing what movie you were talking about. I was stating that "Why are hurricanes named after women?" sounded like a misquote from the Abyss.

See, things aren't always clear on the net... especially at 3:30am.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:43 AM
I know that wasn't your guess.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:29 AM
I love how the news mentioned the storm was going to hit the New York / New Jersey area.
MAN is that localized.
So, Boston, Connecticut will be bone dry while we get doused?

Don't believe what you hear but prepare for the worst.
It is a lovefest when storms crop up nowadays to terrorize the hell out of people and get 'em all worked up.
Media loves it. Great ratings.

Am I saying there is no spoon?

No, of course not.
All of that tracking equipment has to be doing something.
I have simply seen a winter that socked us under with 2ft of snow and then the following winter when everyone went out and bought TONS of salt to face another wintery blast, we got nothing.

We shall see.
Stay safe, fellow Easterner Schmoes.
I'll see you when the skies are clear.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Quote:

Luis Guzman says that joke in Traffic, although I think he gets some of the words wrong.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Luis Guzman says that joke in Traffic, although I think he gets some of the words wrong.
10 points to Davey!
Old 10-27-2012, 03:47 PM

Well this don't look pretty...
http://climate.cod.edu/janis/satelli...tlantic-vis-48

All the models for this storm looks like this is going to be the worst case scenario.

Last edited by creekin111; 10-27-2012 at 03:51 PM..
Old 10-27-2012, 08:43 PM
How are hurricanes named? Simply, there's a list and they just go to the next name down...

http://geology.com/hurricanes/hurricane-names.shtml

Something something climate change...
Old 10-27-2012, 08:49 PM
What about climate change? It changes?
Old 10-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Just to note, starting this season, they'll begin naming Winter storms. I'm too lazy to find the list and give actual examples, but the names are based in mythology. They have Khan on the list. KHHAAAAAANNNN!
Old 10-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Quote:
actually they are NOT. Basically they just go down the A-B-C-D-etc road alternating between male and female name

so it would go down something like Andrew-Bertha-Carl-Denise-Eric-Fanny-George-Hayley-etc

most named hurricane are so worthless that it's normal we miss a few down the line of naming (from a news report pov).

Anyway .... Sandy doesn't bother me because the USA knows how to deal with that shit !

Old 10-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
actually they are NOT. Basically they just go down the A-B-C-D-etc road alternating between male and female name
Read above.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:32 PM
I live near Philly and we're expecting and preparing to get hit hard. I don't remember when it was, but a while back we were bracing for a storm and it turned out to be a real dud. I hope that's what happens with Sandy. I really don't want to be without power.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
I live near Philly and we're expecting and preparing to get hit hard. I don't remember when it was, but a while back we were bracing for a storm and it turned out to be a real dud. I hope that's what happens with Sandy. I really don't want to be without power.
No chance its a dud. This is going to hit hard. Major flooding at the minimum.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:37 PM
It's the worst case scenario happening here. Not a lot of time left and most models are on one spot now. Euro came in with about a Point Pleasant landfall and the same as the GFS.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Read above.
thought i explained good for people who didn't want to click .... and yes they do alternate between female and male name on that list like i said ( the obvious is hard to notice sometimes )

didn't know they stopped at W tho .... no wonder i'm still waiting for hurricane Zoe !
Old 10-27-2012, 11:29 PM
With regards to the "eye"...

This isn't a hurricane in the sense that the wind will be worse near the center. The wind is going to be around 60 MPH sustained in LI, NYC, Hudson, and Bergen Counties for a very long time with gust over hurricane strength. Storm surge will be bad too.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:31 AM
Im following this storm quite closely.. on Monday I am leaving for Maryland from California.. it is generally a 3 day trek, and I am hoping I dont get stuck in shitty weather on the east coast.

from the looks of it, I should miss out on the worst of it, but we will see what it says tomorrow, since I am driving, I have the luxery of waiting til tuesday to leave!
Old 10-28-2012, 02:11 AM
fwiw, this is something some dude on reddit said:

Quote:
Telling Northeasterners to chill is a bad idea. A local meteorologist explains why:

So here we are about 3 or 4 days away from what may be the worst storm for the Northeast since humans populated the area. I'm not kidding, that is a possibility. We know neither how strong this beast will be or exactly who will get the worst of it. Why? Because what is about to happen is unprecedented in the years that human have attempted to understand how the atmosphere works. Hurricanes have merged with colder air as an energetic jet stream interacts before. But perhaps not with the intensity of the factors coming into play this time. A similar scenario has happened before, back in 1991 ... the "Perfect Storm" of movie and book lore was born. Forecasts of that storm were awful leading up to it. The center of that system never made landfall along the East Coast. In fact, at its strongest the core of that storm was a few hundred miles east of New England. Here's what resulted: 80 mph winds and 25-foot waves on the Massachusetts Coast. Offshore buoys recorded 40-foot waves (that is enough to swallow a fishing boat). The Maryland Coast recorded record high tides. The lowest barometric pressure with that storm was 972 mb (that corresponds to 28.70" for those of you who are familiar with those units). Some computer forecast models drop the lowest pressure with Sandy to below 940 mb (27.75"). If you have a barometer at home, take a look at it - it doesn't go that low. If that occurs, this storm will bring the lowest barometric pressure ever recorded on the East Coast. Low pressure means wind, an tropical storm force winds already extend hundreds of miles away from the center of Sandy. Some believe as the storm approaches the coast it may intensify which means stronger winds. That means a widespread area of damage and power outages in the most populated part of the country. I feel there is a good chance we will still have some areas, perhaps entire communities, that lose power and still do not have it come Election Day a week later. Think about that ... no power on Election Day ... a hanging chad could pale in comparison.

But here's the problem ... the computer forecast models that all the forecasters will lean on so heavily have no chance of getting this exactly right. Models are either configured (numerically, in terms of the mathematical equations that drive them), to handle either tropical system well, or what we call mid-latitude systems well, that is ones with warm and cold air clashing. There is no model that handles both well. If there were we would have one great model and my life would be far less stressful. The hurricane will merge with colder air and energy from the jet stream and transition from a tropical system into what we call an extratropical one. Historically the computer forecast models are not good when this happens. The latest National Hurricane Center forecast takes Sandy early Tuesday into the New Jersey or Deleware Coast on a westward track (which by the way has NEVER happened since we have been keeping track of these sort of things). They may be weighing the models that handle tropical system a bit more heavily, but those models should become less accurate as the colder, mid-latitude air works into Sandy's circulation near landfall. As of early this afternoon we have a threat or landfall anywhere between the eastern shore of Maryland and Massachusetts. It may be later Monday or even as late as early Wednesday. We will hear about this storm for weeks after it happens. Homes will fall into the ocean and lives will be lost. If the damaging winds are widespread enough, it may be one of the costliest weather events in U.S. history due to the population likely affected.

Hopefully those near and along the coast in the Northeast are preparing for what will certainly be one for the ages.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Halloween is gonna suck for those of us in Ontario...though we may see some brave children battling hurricane strength winds for candy, it's been seen before!
Old 10-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Living in Lancaster County, PA - Im fucked! Snowstorm on my birthday last year, hurricane this year....whats next?
Old 10-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Donna 1960 NYC
Old 10-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Power outage map for NJ.
http://outages.firstenergycorp.com/nj.html

http://gizmodo.com/5955575/earth-pho...s-massive-size
Old 10-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Well l am feeling for all of you who are having to batten down with this storm

There have been reports that this is the worst ever storm to happen

I just hope any of you who are in these areas dont get hurt or lose your houses

i know you guys are joking around but l sort of feel abit worried about any cmembers who might be hurt during this or lose there house

i seen a satilite image of how huge this storm is and it looks terribly huge

Take care and Erroneous l hope your area doesnt get hit since you are in new York area
Old 10-28-2012, 09:54 PM

Norfolk, VA

Hurricane Sandy's Twitter
https://twitter.com/AHurricaneSandy

Last edited by creekin111; 10-28-2012 at 10:57 PM..
Old 10-29-2012, 12:25 AM
I'm in Manhattan and while I'm not expecting any damage to my building, I am almost positive I'll lose power sometime tomorrow. I also except very dangerous winds to cause a lot of damage around the city and make it almost impossible to go outside tomorrow or perhaps even the next day.

Yet my sister texts me and wants to meet for lunch tomorrow! She's ridiculous.

Anyways, I have flashlights and batteries, books, water and food, a fully charged iPad and 3DS, candles, etc. My dog and I will be on the couch away from windows ready to accept whatever is coming.

My hope is for everyone's safety and that things are clear and safe enough to go outside on Halloween, but I'm skeptical of that. I have a feeling Halloween will be spent inside in the dark reading The Shining. But we'll see.

I hope everyone in the Northeast is safe and smart and has prepared properly.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:46 AM
I feel fortunate to live in Eastern Ohio and not further east. They have us on a flood watch and we are to expect gusts of wind up to 60mph, but that's not nearly as bad as what a lot of poor people are going to have to deal with the next two days.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:53 AM
http://google.org/crisismap/2012-sandy

NHC should release a special bulletin increasing the sustained winds to 90MPH. Cat 2 is no joke.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:59 AM

AC

VA

Wildwood, NJ

Last edited by creekin111; 10-29-2012 at 02:08 AM..