Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Official STAR WARS: EPISODE VII: THE FORCE AWAKENS Thread (December 18, 2015)

Man just read on the front page about Disney buying LucasFilms for 4 billion dollars AND they have announced a new SW film slated for 2015. I am super excited about this at the moment. What do you guys think?

Last edited by SkyNet; 11-18-2014 at 08:12 PM..
Old 10-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Could have the potential to be either liquid shit or absolutely fucking cool. I guess we'll see in about 2+ years!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Screw a white Christmas. I am dreaming of a Joss Whedon SW!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:33 PM
As a said on the Joblo movie main page, this is absolutely great. Lucas was sitting on infinite potential, with games, novels, and even an animated television show surpassing the prequels in quality. Disney is smart, they'll make some theme parks, some great tv shows, and of course some silver screen movies. I can only imagine the potential of seeing someone like J.J. Abrams, Joss Whedon, or some other aspiring filmmaker putting their spin on Star Wars. And of course, a Marvel crossover has to be around the corner.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
And of course, a Marvel crossover has to be around the corner.
Haha never thought of this. I doubt a real crossover would happen, but who knows what Marvel aliens can be seen in the background.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:34 PM
First I've heard of this. Sounds good!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Take it away, guys...
Old 10-30-2012, 07:05 PM
No offense, but Joss Whedon and J.J. Abrams would be very uninspired choices to direct the next Star Wars movie. Of course they're talented, but Whedon already has a Disney-owned franchise of his own (The Avengers, assuming he's making the next one), and even more, Abrams has Star Trek. I'm not saying it's impossible, but do you really think they're going to let the same guy handle Star Wars and Star Trek? That would be too much.

Give it to David Lynch. It would make up for him turning down Return of the Jedi, and he's already worked with Disney before (The Straight Story). I'm kidding, of course, but only a little bit.

Frankly, I'm more excited about the remote possibility that Disney could make an entire Star Wars-themed amusement park. There have been rumors about a fifth theme park in Disney World for years. I wonder if they'll try to make it happen.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:05 PM
I could be cynical and call this the cash-grab it is, but even then, it's still the best thing that could have happened to the Star Wars franchise. Lucas seems rather done creatively while this has just opened up the Star Wars universe to a whole new world. I wouldn't have been that excited about another Lucas Star Wars, but I would definitely be interested in seeing other stories and interpretations within the Star Wars universe.

Joss Whedon as writer? Okay. Joss Whedon as director? Please no. The Star Wars universe has a ridiculous amount of potential on a visual scale but Whedon is a pretty terrible director when it comes to the visual aspects as well as the mood. Everything I've ever seen Whedon direct looks and feels bland or TV-like. I'd like to see a grander style in a Star Wars movie. J.J. Abrams wouldn't be a terrible choice, I think he could keep it mainstream but still give it a bit of flair, but he wouldn't be at the top of my list. Any of those Bad Robot type of directors could probably pull it off competently, if not spectacularly.

Robert Zemeckis could probably pull off a pretty cool Star Wars movie that could remain true to the tone of the previous ones.

There's other directors I'd be curious on a visual level to see interpret the world, like say Joseph Kosinski, Darren Aronofsky, etc. Of course tonally they probably wouldn't be anywhere close to the Lucas films but I think this world has such big potential it could accommodate all kinds of stories set within (like the Batman franchise, for example). Would love to see a slightly more serious (not heavy, but just a bit less broad) Star Wars movie ala the game Knights of the Old Republic.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:39 PM
If Disney goes for a darker approach, I wouldn't mind seeing Darren Aronofsky, Michael Mann, Danny Boyle, or even David Fincher...but I doubt any of these would happen. The reason I mentioned Abrams and Whedon is because Abrams has an undying love for Star Wars which directly inspired his approach to the Star Trek revamp. With Whedon, Disney trust him to assemble a cast and deliver on general nerd goodness, but I don't think he'll direct Episode VII--especially since it'll go into production sometime next year which would directly conflict with him shooting The Avengers 2. It'll be interesting to see what direction Disney goes: they said they intend on releasing one every two years or more, so I'm wondering if they'll be directly connected or will we be getting different stories in the same universe.

We'll most likely get Gore Verbinski to direct one...

Last edited by Roy Batty; 10-30-2012 at 07:42 PM..
Old 10-30-2012, 07:40 PM
A new Star Wars movie without George Lucas at the helm with Disney overseeing?

Awesome. (No sarcasm here at all.)
Old 10-30-2012, 07:45 PM
I cant wait to see how Disney Handles 'EPISODE 7' I am so excited

(update)

looks like Disney will have their hands full:

Star Wars: Episode VII (2015)

Star Wars: Episode VIII (2018)

Star Wars: Episode IX (2021)

Last edited by Ruly2; 10-30-2012 at 07:53 PM..
Old 10-30-2012, 07:49 PM
You guys are all wrong... This is a job for Brad Bird!
Old 10-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
If Disney goes for a darker approach, I wouldn't mind seeing Darren Aronofsky, Michael Mann, Danny Boyle, or even David Fincher...but I doubt any of these would happen. The reason I mentioned Abrams and Whedon is because Abrams has an undying love for Star Wars which directly inspired his approach to the Star Trek revamp. With Whedon, Disney trust him to assemble a cast and deliver on general nerd goodness, but I don't think he'll direct Episode VII--especially since it'll go into production sometime next year which would directly conflict with him shooting The Avengers 2. It'll be interesting to see what direction Disney goes: they said they intend on releasing one every two years or more, so I'm wondering if they'll be directly connected or will we be getting different stories in the same universe.

We'll most likely get Gore Verbinski to direct one...
From what I've heard, it sounds like this first trilogy will be connected to each other but how connected they are to the previous Star Wars films I'm not sure. You've got a point about Disney and darker material but I'm hoping eventually they'll open up the world more.

I actually would be on board with Verbinski. For a mainstream, tentpole director, he's got a very distinctive and rich style. He would just need to keep it less bloated and more focused than his Pirates sequels (which I think are really interesting visually).

Brad Bird would be a pretty great choice, actually. Kind of similar to Abrams in appeal but with more flair and a better track record.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
From what I've heard, it sounds like this first trilogy will be connected to each other but how connected they are to the previous Star Wars films I'm not sure. You've got a point about Disney and darker material but I'm hoping eventually they'll open up the world more.

I actually would be on board with Verbinski. For a mainstream, tentpole director, he's got a very distinctive and rich style. He would just need to keep it less bloated and more focused than his Pirates sequels (which I think are really interesting visually).
I think if The Lone Ranger does well, that's probably who Disney will want.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop No. 633 View Post
You guys are all wrong... This is a job for Brad Bird!
I agree
Old 10-30-2012, 08:23 PM
:)

I found this funny poster on twitter. I hope they [Disney] know what they are doing by taking Star Wars under their wing..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	680024565.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	10909  
Old 10-30-2012, 08:33 PM
While Gore Verbinski seems like a likelier choice than Abrams or Whedon, I still don't think they should give it to him. I'd much rather see them bring on someone who hasn't already done a franchise before. I mean, I'm sure Peter Jackson would do a wonderful job with it, but I seriously doubt he'd even want to do it after 6 LOTR movies.

Brad Bird would be pretty good choice. Even though he's done an entry in a franchise, he hasn't actually had a whole franchise of his own, so I'd be on board. Fellow Pixar alumnus Andrew Stanton would be cool too, although I doubt Disney would trust him with it after the box office disaster of John Carter.

What about Alfonso Cuaron? He made what many consider to be the best Harry Potter movie. I bet he could handle a franchise of his own, and he's certainly got the visual flare for it.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Neil Blomkamp.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Best news I have read since the Hobbit started shooting. I thought I would have to wait until Lucas died. This is awesome.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:43 PM
Lucas made some fucking paper on this whole deal, didn't he!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Give it to somebody out of left field like... David Cronenberg. That way we can get Viggo Mortensen as a Jedi. Damn, that really needs to happen.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:28 PM
I must admit, I was completely and utterly floored by this. I never saw this coming. Now on to the speculation....

As far as directors go, Brad Bird would be the best all-around choice in my book. While I'd love to see Neill Blomkamp wade into that galaxy far far away, I think he wants to do his own films and maintain creative freedom. Two other possibilities include Alfonso Cuaron (eager to see what he does with Gravity) and Guillermo Del Toro (I could easily see him tackling some of the stuff I've read in the Expanded Universe). I can't see Darren Aranofsky doing it, but either Danny Boyle or David Fincher would be interesting possibilities. I could actually see Boyle doing it and doing it well.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:36 AM
Oh boy it's going to be interesting to see what they come up with.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:25 AM

Alfonso Cuaron would be an outstanding choice.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:15 AM
WOW..........just wow....I can't believe this news..
Old 10-31-2012, 10:47 AM
I don't know what to think exactly, if anything I guess I am excited.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:03 PM
Old 10-31-2012, 12:44 PM

What would you rather see, an adaptation of the Thrawn trilogy including recasting some roles (nathanfillionforhansolo.com) or a whole new story that might retcon the Expanded Universe with all new characters?
Old 10-31-2012, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald View Post
What would you rather see, an adaptation of the Thrawn trilogy including recasting some roles (nathanfillionforhansolo.com) or a whole new story that might retcon the Expanded Universe with all new characters?
Of the two, I would prefer the first. Another option would be to set the new trilogy after the events of the books/comics.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald View Post
It doesn't necessarily have to be a full-on adaptation of the Thrawn books. I'd probably take a few strong characters from that like Thrawn, maybe a few story bits and come up with something mostly new. Of the three main characters from episodes 4-6, I could see Luke having the largest role as an aged Jedi master like Kenobi and cameos for Han and Leia. After that is done, 2-3 movies, do expanded universe stuff of past, present and future in that universe.

The other thing I'd do is reboot episodes 1-3, doing just two episodes and keeping just the Kenobi vs Skywalker bit from episode 3. Everything else would be completely new.

Assuming good writers and directors are hired and Disney/Lucas don't meddle, Disney should make back their $4B in under a decade.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:08 PM
I have had roughly 24 hours to let this soak in now and still am excited about the potential. I have also thought about how horrible it could be too but I am doubtful it will go that way. I was only a fan of the movie series, never picked up the books, so I have no real idea of what Episode 7 could be but I would like some continuation from 6 with a return of Luke, Han, and Leia and hopefully not some future generation I have no idea about.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
A new Star Wars movie without George Lucas at the helm with Disney overseeing?

Awesome. (No sarcasm here at all.)
This
Old 10-31-2012, 05:07 PM
Has anyone from Disney actually been quoted as saying "Episode VII?"

It's not going to have that title. "Episodes" were Lucas' thing.

They aren't rebooting something with 7 in the title. Just like Edward Norton's Hulk wasn't called HULK 2.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Not wasting any time, are they? 2015? I hope the plan is to not just release one, but three . . . if not six. Don't do just one movie and make it the redheaded stepchild of the franchise.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
Not wasting any time, are they? 2015? I hope the plan is to not just release one, but three . . . if not six. Don't do just one movie and make it the redheaded stepchild of the franchise.
They intend on releasing the first in 2015 then two follow-ups every other year. After that, they said they would see where they would go from there which I can assume means they'll be making these things like the Harry Potter movies.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomhero24 View Post
Has anyone from Disney actually been quoted as saying "Episode VII?"

It's not going to have that title. "Episodes" were Lucas' thing.

They aren't rebooting something with 7 in the title. Just like Edward Norton's Hulk wasn't called HULK 2.
First, yes they have specifically said it will be titled Episode 7.

Secondly, they're not rebooting or remaking anything. They're making more films in the Star Wars expanded universe.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectRatio1986 View Post
ROFLMAO!

But just when we bought Star Wars: The Complete Saga, they do this. Fuck me.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:56 AM
If they really are shooting for a 2015 release date...Director, cast and crew announcements would have to pretty much be in the next year or so if you do the math on big productions like this.....as a lifelong SW fan I remain skeptical, yet hopeful.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Can this be the "Official" SW movie thread? It would be my first sticky so would be cool!