#1  
Old 05-02-2013, 11:08 PM
Morning After Pill for 15 year olds

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/05/0...fter-pill.html

Quote:
By this summer, a 15-year-old girl will be able to walk into a drugstore, scan the shelves and purchase the morning-after pill without a prescription, a controversial national decision at the intersection of women’s reproductive rights, parenting, sciences and the role and reach of government.

On Tuesday the Food and Drug Administration ordered retailers to offer the emergency contraceptive Plan B One-Step as an over-the-counter option — the latest ruling in a long battle, both legal and social, about the rights of women to have access to the drug. Before now, the pill, which is used after sexual intercourse to help prevent pregnancy, was available to women ages 17 and older without a prescription, but the medication was kept behind drugstore counters.

The FDA’s decision came weeks after a federal judge ordered that over-the-counter emergency contraception be made available to females of any age — a ruling the Obama administration is appealing.

Even with many practical questions still unanswered and the specter of more court rulings looming, reaction has been passionate on both sides of the issue.

“This is a… policy issue that basically represents people’s core beliefs,’’ says Nicole Ruggiano, an assistant professor of social work at Florida International University’s Robert Stempel College of Public Health and Social Work. “This is about people’s beliefs about premarital sex, parenting, religion, right to life and those kinds of issues.’’
there's more.....

This is just a disgrace. No way any child under 18 should be able to get this without a prescription. I need a drivers license to get sudafed, but....... seriously? Put aside the abortion issue here. I can't believe a kid can get this drug all by herself and walk out. Welcome to The Continuing United States of Do Whatever the Fuck You Want Completely Unchecked.
  #2  
Old 05-02-2013, 11:31 PM
Teenagers will have sex anyway. Better to give them protection against unwanted pregnancy, especially at such a young age. It's no coincidence that the states that push abstinence while condemning birth control (southern states) have the highest teen pregnancy rates.


Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
  #3  
Old 05-03-2013, 12:56 AM
Sex ed isn't looking so bad in comparison.

Seriously, I mean we deny kids sex education, parents clam up when it comes to talking to their own kids about sex, don't even think of providing them with clinics that pass out free condoms, and in some instances condemn even the act of masturbation and just tell people to pray away the desire or deny that it even exists.

What exactly did they think the pressure released was gonna look like? Did anyone really think that naturally this imbalance would not be compensated against?

Last edited by electriclite; 05-03-2013 at 01:07 AM..
  #4  
Old 05-03-2013, 08:11 AM
The saddest part is I would wager that 80 or 90% of the population has no clue what the morning after pill actually does.

Countless adults take it when it has no impact on their chances of pregnancy, I can only imagine how many teenagers will be taking it incorrectly and fucking up their hormones permanently.
  #5  
Old 05-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Isn't this more on the parents than anyone?
  #6  
Old 05-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Next is alcohol and cigarettes right? If 15 year olds are responsible enough to make adult decisions alone (without talking to their parents) like this then they should be mature enough to use alcohol or cigarettes. Right?... oh that's right I didn't think so because then that means we would be using consistent logic and we wouldn't want that now would we?

Oh and God forbid a 15 year old child wants to work a job full time on a salary. Wouldn't want to encourage and expose our youth to all the evils and dangers of working full time too early in life now that would be bad... we must shield them from long hard work but don't worry about them spreading STDs they'll be fine... no pun intended.

Last edited by creekin111; 05-03-2013 at 05:21 PM..
  #7  
Old 05-04-2013, 01:30 AM
Yes. A terrible idea. Clearly the best thing to do is make sure that 15 year old girl gets pregnant and carries the baby to term. Nothing bad could result from that at all.
  #8  
Old 05-04-2013, 06:32 AM
First, I don't think anyone can refer to this decision as a negative, fully, if you are a man because you have no chances of getting pregnant. Second, offering this option isn't going to make 15 year old girls suddenly gung ho to go out and have sex anymore than they probably already currently are. It's like the ill-informed argument that birth control shouldn't be taken because it's preventing God's intention of allowing a child into the world. Finally, what difference does it make offering this option between a 15 year old and 16 year old, really? This idiotic argument that when suddenly someone reaches a certain age they magically gain consciousness and can no longer make the stupid, childish decisions they made at the age before. Comparing the morning after pill to cigarettes and liquor is amusing, but nonetheless a very bad comparison.
  #9  
Old 05-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Abstinence just isn't worth teaching anymore. Teenagers get impulses and they give into those impulses pretty easily. And again, the more religious states that demonize birth control tend to have more teen pregnancies. Why? Because abstinence doesn't work.


Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
  #10  
Old 05-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Don't most studies say that teens actually aren't really having much sex at all? And there are less teen pregnancies now than basically ever before?

I am all for letting 15 year olds buy birth control, and that is literally all this is, but I think the pharmacies should give an explanation to teens as to what this pill really does before they are allowed to sell it to someone under the age of 18. I guess in the end it wouldn't change anyone's mind and they would take it "just in case."
  #11  
Old 05-04-2013, 12:32 PM
There's a bigger picture that a lot of people don't see that goes way beyond just the morning after pill. Issues like this don't exist in a bubble. The thing is if you're going to make something legal for minors to do even though its dangerous "just because they're going to do it anyway." Well kids are also going to find a way to take alcohol and use drugs. So by that logic shouldn't we start loosening other laws where they won't have to ask their parents for permission?

If abstinence doesn't work then sure as hell preventing teenagers from using alcohol and drug use doesn't work either. Kids are going to have sex and kids are going to drink and do drugs. The only difference is that it here it is politically safe to let them have sex. People only go by the way things sound and don't really look deep into their philosophical thoughts or logic.

For instance the pro-abortion crowd is only inconsistent if they frame their position as a philosophical matter of free choice. If they were to just say they are "pro-abortion" then all they're really doing is taking a position on that specific issue. Couching it in terms of being "pro-choice" means you are for free choice as a matter of principle. Principles don't stop being principles whenever they happen to be politically inconvenient. If they did, they wouldn't be principles.
  #12  
Old 05-04-2013, 10:53 PM
I'm against taking choice away from anyone, even teenagers
  #13  
Old 05-05-2013, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Yes. A terrible idea. Clearly the best thing to do is make sure that 15 year old girl gets pregnant and carries the baby to term. Nothing bad could result from that at all.
You have probably the worst attitude that I have ever read. Why not teach responsibility? Your whole "do whatever the heck you like in life" does not seem to be working as society is not getting any better, kinder, loving, gentle, smarter, ect from all these types of things you support when the answer is clearly personal responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Batty View Post
First, I don't think anyone can refer to this decision as a negative, fully, if you are a man because you have no chances of getting pregnant. Second, offering this option isn't going to make 15 year old girls suddenly gung ho to go out and have sex anymore than they probably already currently are. It's like the ill-informed argument that birth control shouldn't be taken because it's preventing God's intention of allowing a child into the world. Finally, what difference does it make offering this option between a 15 year old and 16 year old, really? This idiotic argument that when suddenly someone reaches a certain age they magically gain consciousness and can no longer make the stupid, childish decisions they made at the age before. Comparing the morning after pill to cigarettes and liquor is amusing, but nonetheless a very bad comparison.
I will tell you why I think it is fully negative. First thing this is reality, all teenage girls who are sexually active will start taking these things like candy everytime they have sex. I know I would, because why not, If it is legal and I can take it and not get preg. That is the wrong attitude. Secondly, these are drugs and drugs react differently to everyone. I wonder if there have been studies to examine the effects of abuse. I doubt it. I bet years from now there will be all sorts of problems stemming from this. There is not a person alive that can say with 100% assurance that this drug will not have any long term negative effects for women. Even the pill (birth control) is not for every woman. There are lots of negative issues stemming with this "harmless" pill. Third, it will lead to more unprotected sex and do I really need to get into why that is a bad thing or do you all live in a world full of unicorns and rainbows. Forth, as for the male part, I am a father and although I can not get pregnant, my daughters one day will be able to and that will effect me, so in reality it still matters to men too. The bottom line of this decision is simple to me, it is a powerful concept and drug that is now in the hands of people who can not this power and will only lead to trouble down the road.

I do agree with some of the stuff you said in regards to the comparisions.

Last edited by Erroneous; 05-05-2013 at 09:21 AM..
  #14  
Old 05-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
You have probably the worst attitude that I have ever read. Why not teach responsibility? Your whole "do whatever the heck you like in life" does not seem to be working as society is not getting any better, kinder, loving, gentle, smarter, ect from all these types of things you support when the answer is clearly personal responsibility.
Yeah, ideally responsibility is nice and all, but reality doesn't work that way. The girl has already had sex and isn't ready to be a mother. I'd rather she take Plan B than try and raise a child, or pass it on to her mother (or grandmother), or add another body to an already overburdened Foster Care system.

And you are monumentally wrong about society "not getting better." Go on and travel back in time to the 40s or 50s or 60s and see how society treats itself and get back to me. Or just go watch 42 and tell me we aren't better off now than we were then.

As for girls taking Plan B "like candy" - this tells me that (no surprise) you don't know what you are talking about. Yes, the FDA has approved Plan B as safe for OTC distribution, and that it need not be restricted to girls over 15 (that was an Obama thing), but you don't just take it and go about your day. Plan B makes you pretty sick for several days - not something most people want to repeat. Once a girl has to go through the pain of using it, she'll probably make damn sure a condom is used next time.

The simple fact is that comprehensive sex education and access to birth control is the best way to reduce teen pregnancy. That is indisputable. But no system is bulletproof, hence the name "Plan B."

But, lucky for you, the most vulnerable people in society who would need these pills the most probably won't even know they are available, will wind up pregnant and raising a child at age 15, teaching them your dream of personal responsibility while they are no longer able to go to college.
  #15  
Old 05-05-2013, 01:17 PM
I traveled back to the 40s or 50s or 60s and see how society treated itself and people in America were treated a billion times better than anyone else in the world at that time. It was a great time for America but for other nations... not so much. But of course we're the "enlightened" society now.

Oh btw I won't let any of you use my time machine.
  #16  
Old 05-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Yeah, ideally responsibility is nice and all, but reality doesn't work that way. The girl has already had sex and isn't ready to be a mother. I'd rather she take Plan B than try and raise a child, or pass it on to her mother (or grandmother), or add another body to an already overburdened Foster Care system.
Reality used to work just fine that way up until the 60's. Or if you take a look at it from this point of view, that girl will serve as a nice example as to what not to do for millions of other girls.

Quote:
And you are monumentally wrong about society "not getting better." Go on and travel back in time to the 40s or 50s or 60s and see how society treats itself and get back to me. Or just go watch 42 and tell me we aren't better off now than we were then.
I guess we agree to disagree. Yes, race relations and genders are more equal than ever. Pretty much everything else is worse. I can site numerous examples, but I would be wasting my time.

Quote:
As for girls taking Plan B "like candy" - this tells me that (no surprise) you don't know what you are talking about. Yes, the FDA has approved Plan B as safe for OTC distribution, and that it need not be restricted to girls over 15 (that was an Obama thing), but you don't just take it and go about your day. Plan B makes you pretty sick for several days - not something most people want to repeat. Once a girl has to go through the pain of using it, she'll probably make damn sure a condom is used next time.
Many girls just opt for the shot. But, we shall see about what reality is in 10 years. One thing about you is you never look beyond the now. You don't think they will make different and better ones that avoid the side effects now that they have a whole new market to go after? Just look at the viagra example. I noticed you ignored the other health related issues I brought up.

The simple fact is that comprehensive sex education and access to birth control is the best way to reduce teen pregnancy. That is indisputable. But no system is bulletproof, hence the name "Plan B."

Quote:
but, lucky for you, the most vulnerable people in society who would need these pills the most probably won't even know they are available, will wind up pregnant and raising a child at age 15, teaching them your dream of personal responsibility while they are no longer able to go to college.
LOL Dude, you are funny. Again, now that there is a new market, you don't think that the drug companies won't be advertising or the schools and fed, state and local govt's won't do their part to make sure that "the most vulnerable people" have info and access to this? Try to use your head for once and think long term.

Now that I think of it, this might be good for the republican party. You have to figure that most of the girls that will take advantage of this drug will be democrats making other democrats. If I were the republican party, I should start a program at all the most vulnerable people's schools and neighbors and give them out like candy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
I traveled back to the 40s or 50s or 60s and see how society treated itself and people in America were treated a billion times better than anyone else in the world at that time. It was a great time for America but for other nations... not so much. But of course we're the "enlightened" society now.

Oh btw I won't let any of you use my time machine.
You suck. Let me ride it once?
  #17  
Old 05-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
You suck. Let me ride it once?
Its mine! Shit maybe I should go into the past and take away my post that reveals I have a time machine.
  #18  
Old 05-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Many girls just opt for the shot. But, we shall see about what reality is in 10 years. One thing about you is you never look beyond the now. You don't think they will make different and better ones that avoid the side effects now that they have a whole new market to go after? Just look at the viagra example. I noticed you ignored the other health related issues I brought up.
Any medication can have harmful effects on a certain percentage of the people who use it. What's your point? Tylenol and Nyquil can do a lot of damage to some people. That's what warning labels are for. Plan B is no different.

And let's assume that they do make a better version in the future - one that has no side effects like the current version... so what? Abortion is legal. Plan B is not abortion. It prevents the egg from attaching to the uterus wall and it is then instead flushed out. No different than half of all fertilized eggs in women who don't use Plan B. A woman has the right to have dominion over her bodily functions.

What you're doing is trying to legislate your morality, but what you are really doing is fighting the future, and losing (especially if you think the world was better off prior to the 60s).
  #19  
Old 05-05-2013, 10:51 PM
I dunno about the whole entire world collectively as a whole being better off in the 60s... How was it in Zimbabwe?... How was it in Bulgaria?... Hong Kong?... Was our culture more or less advanced than those others? As far as our nation is concerned it has been regressing in every way compared to many other nations since then. Especially in the common sense department.

Last edited by creekin111; 05-05-2013 at 10:54 PM..
  #20  
Old 05-05-2013, 10:56 PM
I don't think the world is worse off, but it's also not better. People have always been naturally selfish in all senses, and people have always been capable of committing deep harm upon other humans. The stats are worse because, frankly, we've created easier and cheaper ways to kill people, but the capacity and willingness has always been there, and hasn't lessened.

On the abortion/pill issue, there's merit to the idea that some pro-choicers tend to intentionally dehumanize the fetus/baby, and some pro-lifers tend to intentionally minimize the mother's existence. That's not all, of course, but they tend to be the most vocal. No matter the side you're on, I still think the issue is trying to limit the demand, not the supply. I'm firmly anti-abortion, but to make it illegal at this point would just create more Kermit Gosnells.
  #21  
Old 05-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Governments have always been naturally selfish in all senses and governments have always been capable of committing deep harm upon other humans. The stats are worse because, frankly, the government has created easier and cheaper ways to kill people, but the capacity and willingness has always been there, and hasn't lessened.
  #22  
Old 05-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
I'm against taking choice away from anyone, even teenagers
Even their choice to legally own a gun? To drive on public roads? To drop out of school and go work 40+ hours a week at a low wage job? To vote? To legally be allowed into strip clubs? ...believe it or not that is being "pro-choice".
  #23  
Old 05-06-2013, 06:36 PM
Pro-choice refers to abortion rights. Don't get technical with the phrasing, because I could just as easily say that pro-life people should also be against the death penalty and be for free healthcare for the poor, but we all know that those ideologies generally don't go together like that.


Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
  #24  
Old 05-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Of course if its only within the context still doesn't mean what they're saying is correct as a general principle on both sides.

Last edited by creekin111; 05-06-2013 at 09:25 PM..
  #25  
Old 05-12-2013, 07:05 PM
If a teenager can choose to have sex then they can choose to use this product which is available to them in the market.
  #26  
Old 05-12-2013, 07:10 PM
If a teenager can choose to have a 40 hour job and drop out of school then they can choose to have any job which is available to them in the market.
  #27  
Old 05-18-2013, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post

I will tell you why I think it is fully negative. First thing this is reality, all teenage girls who are sexually active will start taking these things like candy everytime they have sex. I know I would, because why not, If it is legal and I can take it and not get preg. That is the wrong attitude. Secondly, these are drugs and drugs react differently to everyone. I wonder if there have been studies to examine the effects of abuse. I doubt it. I bet years from now there will be all sorts of problems stemming from this. There is not a person alive that can say with 100% assurance that this drug will not have any long term negative effects for women. Even the pill (birth control) is not for every woman. There are lots of negative issues stemming with this "harmless" pill. Third, it will lead to more unprotected sex and do I really need to get into why that is a bad thing or do you all live in a world full of unicorns and rainbows. Forth, as for the male part, I am a father and although I can not get pregnant, my daughters one day will be able to and that will effect me, so in reality it still matters to men too. The bottom line of this decision is simple to me, it is a powerful concept and drug that is now in the hands of people who can not this power and will only lead to trouble down the road.

I do agree with some of the stuff you said in regards to the comparisions.
Trust me, teenagers who suddenly have access to something won't run out and get it and making it unobtainable based on an age restriction won't help either. If that were the case, teenagers wouldn't be getting alcohol or cigarettes but they're doing both. Having access to a pill that is preventing pregnancy as a safe guard isn't going to make teenage girls go buck wild and suddenly say fuck condoms because even with no condoms present, no form of birth control, these girls are still using the pullout method. And I never said it doesn't matter to me, I just said men shouldn't be the one making this decision. If girls/women want access to something that prevents unwanted pregnancy, and it's done in a safe way, why not? Sure 'certain' birth control pills have had horrendous effects on its recipients, but this is the morning after pill for goodness sakes.
  #28  
Old 11-04-2013, 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Any medication can have harmful effects on a certain percentage of the people who use it. What's your point? Tylenol and Nyquil can do a lot of damage to some people. That's what warning labels are for. Plan B is no different.

And let's assume that they do make a better version in the future - one that has no side effects like the current version... so what? Abortion is legal. Plan B is not abortion. It prevents the egg from attaching to the uterus wall and it is then instead flushed out. No different than half of all fertilized eggs in women who don't use Plan B. A woman has the right to have dominion over her bodily functions.

What you're doing is trying to legislate your morality, but what you are really doing is fighting the future, and losing (especially if you think the world was better off prior to the 60s).
Has the right to have dominion over bodily functions? Are you serious? I guess that means you'd support a pill that made you stop taking a shit?
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump