Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Video Games
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Report: Wii U Release Date & price Leaked

The Nintendo Wii U will become available on Nov. 18, according to a leaked memo from Media Land, a popular Japanese video game retailer. The revolutionary new dual-screen home-gaming system will be available on that date in North America and a week later in Japan, per the rumor. The relevant email contained no information regarding when the new console will be available in Europe.

The rumor was leaked by WiiUDaily*, which managed to get its hands on a memo sent to Media Land confirming the release date.

Although this is an unsubstantiated rumor, it makes sense when you consider Nintendo's release-date history. The Wii was released on Nov. 19, 2006, a Sunday. The purported launch date for the Wii U is also a Sunday, and just a day from matching the Wii U's release date exactly. Nintendo had also previously announced that the Wii U would go on sale by the end of this year. Of course, until Nintendo makes its official announcement at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in June, this is all just speculation.

Sources close to Nintendo have revealed that the new home-gaming console will cost about $180 to manufacture, but the system may cost as much as twice that price for Nintendo's consumers, according to Forget The Box. This price will include the cost of the system's tablet-style controller, which costs $50 to manufacture. The same source also revealed Nintendo is assessing the market in general to decide on a final price, which will likely be at least $300.

"Cutting production costs to maximize profits is Nintendo's main concern with the Wii U," the source said. "They are cutting costs in the Wii U's hardware to build back confidence in investors. Nintendo wants investors to view Wii U as a less risky proposition."

Nintendo has announced the Wii U is a deliberate effort to shift its direction and appeal to so-called "hard-core gamers" who have long preferred game titles unavailable on the Wii, while still drawing in families with its stable of game franchises around popular characters like Mario and Link.

The company's new system will put more emphasis on selling games online to compete with other consoles while keeping its own production costs down.

"There is a bigger focus on downloadable content, applications, video content, digital distribution, and services to create a stream of revenue," the source told Forget the Box. "Investors will be ecstatic with the news."
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/3314...2012-price.htm

sidenote
I read somewhere that theses may infact be the Prices for the WII-U:
The System with controller=$300
The Tablet constroller(seprite) =$70-80
Games= $59.99

Last edited by Ruly2; 05-07-2012 at 01:38 PM..
Old 05-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Nintendo Wii U game titles leaked

Some snaps of BlockBuster’s internal system have revealed a bunch of titles which should be coming out on the Wii U, providing the information is correct, of course.

So what are they? Well… deep breath… they are listed by the Sixth Axis as: Aliens Colonial Marines, Assassin’s Creed, Batman: Arkham City, Darksiders II, Dirt 3, Formula One: All Stars, Game Party, Ghost Recon Online.

Then there’s also: Just Dance 4, Killer Freaks From Outer Space, Marvel Super Heroes, Metro Last Light, Monsters Party, New Super Marios Mii, Ninja Gaiden 3, Pikmin, Rabbids Party Land, Raving Rabbids, Rayman Legends, Shield Pose, Splinter Cell 6, Sports Connection, Tekken, Your Shape 2013 and Zombie.

There are no surprises with some of those titles, Just Dance 4 for example is inevitable (we expect this franchise will have a life similar to the Now That’s What I Call Music… compilations).

Reaction has been a little muted to the line-up, although there are some undeniably quality titles on there – Batman, Darksiders and Assassin’s Creed, for starters.

We’re still fairly excited about seeing the Wii U, with its tablet controller, in action. The console will be out this autumn, certainly before Christmas, with the exact release date to be revealed when Nintendo shows the machine off at E3.
http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2012/05/0...titles-leaked/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nintendo-Wii-U-300x276.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	10143  

Last edited by Ruly2; 05-07-2012 at 01:29 PM..
Old 05-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruly2 View Post
Sources close to Nintendo have revealed that the new home-gaming console will cost about $180 to manufacture, but the system may cost as much as twice that price for Nintendo's consumers, according to Forget The Box. This price will include the cost of the system's tablet-style controller, which costs $50 to manufacture. The same source also revealed Nintendo is assessing the market in general to decide on a final price, which will likely be at least $300.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Srsly? If the starting price for hte next joke from Nintendo is really going to be anywhere near $300 its going to bomb. The only reason the Wii out sold anyone for hte time it did was cause it was only $200 while everyone else was at least $500 at the time.

The other companies have already stated they have no plans to release their next gen systems anytime soon so Nintendo will not have any high priced competition to hide behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruly2 View Post
Nintendo has announced the Wii U is a deliberate effort to shift its direction and appeal to so-called "hard-core gamers" who have long preferred game titles unavailable on the Wii, while still drawing in families with its stable of game franchises around popular characters like Mario and Link.
This is at least promising. Not the idea that they want to do more hardcore gaming so much as the idea that Nintendo has realized that they fucked up royaly with the Wii. I understand where they were coming from, wanting to get ppl who don't play video games into playing them. The only problem with that strategy is they forgot to tell the guy who would have said "that's great and all but we can't just forget about the actual gamers.." when they were having the meeting to plan the Wii cause that is exactly what happened.

Also i refuse to listen to Nintendo when they want to talk about everything their shit can do and how well it works. To those statements all i have to say is "Wii Motion Plus".
Old 05-07-2012, 05:52 PM
The Wii was fun for the first month, then it got old.

I do feel many people will buy this console because it is new, but many will not because many fell out of love with the Wii quickly, as I mentioned. I bought my PS3 a long time ago, and I still play it today. People want something they will play for a long time, not a month or two.

Time will tell. I like Nintendo, and hope they can make a good console with many good games.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Given the fact that the Wii U is touting better graphics then the 360 and PS3, and they're still being sold for $200, $300 sounds reasonable.

Imagine what the Xbox 720 or PS4 will go for.
Times are changing, and consoles are getting more expensive.

If it wasn't for Zelda, I'd be keeping to my PC and forgetting about consoles all together.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vong View Post
Given the fact that the Wii U is touting better graphics then the 360 and PS3, and they're still being sold for $200, $300 sounds reasonable.
So you think that putting out a system that can do better graphics then systems that are 6+ years old is a good business plan?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:43 PM
This is basically going to be slightly better looking than 360 and PS3, but does anyone have any illusions that the next wave for consoles (Xbox 3, PS4) won't absolutely crush this system in the graphics department? The Wii U is still essentially based on six year old tech, much in the same way the Wii was built on old GameCube tech, yet still looked better than the GameCube.

As for the real wave of next gen systems, I'm pretty sure $400 is still the standard. Sony found out the hard way that charging $500-600 bucks a console was not a good move.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:48 AM

I've used my Wii pretty regularly since buying it a few years back. I was looking at picking up a PS3 or Xbox for shits and giggles but heard about this system and am glad I didn't. I'm pretty surprised by the price. I was expecting it to be in the 400-500 range due to, like Vong mentioned, the generality of prices going up. It'll still be comparable to the PS3, pricewise (though I presume they'll finally drop those down to $199). There's no way Sony and Microsoft's next consoles will be able to compete price-wise. They'll be left for hardcore gamers that are going to drop the money for the same reason I am (better hardware, new titles).

I'm not sure about the logic behind saying Nintendo only outsold the other guys because of starting prices works out - PS3 and Xbox have dramatically dropped in price and it wasn't until last year that Xbox slipped to the top. Nintendo has still sold more Wiis than PS3 and Xbox combined.

I like the idea behind the Wii U, with the controller. Sony seems to be going this route with the Vita and I'd guess Microsoft will do the same. Apple is already doing this with their AirMirroring and I think that's going to tear into Nintendo more than Sony or MS, since it's for more casual gamers and most people already have iPods and iPads. This all depends on where Apple goes with their AppleTV, a box with a app store for downloading games and/or the speculated HDTV.

I figure 2012-2013 will be pretty exciting times for gamers. It's always cool to have generation changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
As for the real wave of next gen systems, I'm pretty sure $400 is still the standard. Sony found out the hard way that charging $500-600 bucks a console was not a good move.
Especially since they were selling them at a profit loss. I hope for them that their manufacturing costs are kept in the reigns this time around.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
I'm not sure about the logic behind saying Nintendo only outsold the other guys because of starting prices works out - PS3 and Xbox have dramatically dropped in price and it wasn't until last year that Xbox slipped to the top. Nintendo has still sold more Wiis than PS3 and Xbox combined.
how is it that you're not sure of the logic yet you just stated the exact same thing pretty much. Nintendo outsold the competition due to its price. It started at $250 amd the others started at $500-600 depending on the model. When a family is faced with the choice of getting their kids a new system what are they going to go for? The $250 machine or the $600 mnachine?

It was the cheaper alternative and there for outsold the competition. It did not out sell due to quality but price. This time around though that competion won't be there so the sales that were made by the Wii being the "cheaper alternative" wont be made. In fact i'd put money on even less being sold out of the gate then the Wii due to the ppl Nintendo has alienated with the joke that is the Wii.

And don't bother bring ing out how many units are sold as a basis for anything, ok? Do you really think that ANY of these systems have been constantly adding to their #'s as they did anywhere during their releases? Hell no. If Xbox has only recently caught up and over take the Wii its cause Wii just sold so many out of the gate, because its was the cheaper alternative.

That's great that you enjoy your Wii, hell i have one myself and my gf plays it from time to time. But Nintendo is in the buisiness of making money and the total lack of games for the "hard core gamer" killed the Wii, hands down. Hard core games are where the money is cause they are the ones that play the system beyond lame party games and the newest installment of Mario/Zelda/Metriod. They are the ones that Nintendo is now desparately trying to get back into their fold. And personally i laugh at the idea that the WiiU is going to do that.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
how is it that you're not sure of the logic yet you just stated the exact same thing pretty much. Nintendo outsold the competition due to its price. It started at $250 amd the others started at $500-600 depending on the model. When a family is faced with the choice of getting their kids a new system what are they going to go for? The $250 machine or the $600 mnachine?

It was the cheaper alternative and there for outsold the competition. It did not out sell due to quality but price. This time around though that competion won't be there so the sales that were made by the Wii being the "cheaper alternative" wont be made. In fact i'd put money on even less being sold out of the gate then the Wii due to the ppl Nintendo has alienated with the joke that is the Wii.

And don't bother bring ing out how many units are sold as a basis for anything, ok? Do you really think that ANY of these systems have been constantly adding to their #'s as they did anywhere during their releases? Hell no. If Xbox has only recently caught up and over take the Wii its cause Wii just sold so many out of the gate, because its was the cheaper alternative.

That's great that you enjoy your Wii, hell i have one myself and my gf plays it from time to time. But Nintendo is in the buisiness of making money and the total lack of games for the "hard core gamer" killed the Wii, hands down. Hard core games are where the money is cause they are the ones that play the system beyond lame party games and the newest installment of Mario/Zelda/Metriod. They are the ones that Nintendo is now desparately trying to get back into their fold. And personally i laugh at the idea that the WiiU is going to do that.

I don't even know if you read and digested what I wrote, or just reacted to the fact that I want a Wii U. So if you want to talk about this, that's cool, but don't think I'm trying to calculate some self-serving debate for the sake of defending something that I use to weigh myself.

I touched on your question about why I wasn't following in my post:

Quote:
PS3 and Xbox have dramatically dropped in price and it wasn't until last year that Xbox slipped to the top.
The logic being that if it was about the price point, then PS3 and Xbox would have been more competitive earlier. It's been a long ass time since a base PS3 has been over $300. I just stated that I didn't understand something and you turned it into something else. You're essentially comparing your gaming system, which I see as something for more hardcore gamers (read: serious gamers), to something that I know best as a toy my 6 year old kid primarily plays with. His girlfriend too. I regularly play with it, but probably not nearly as much as you play with yours, so maybe you are picturing me much more in love with the system when really I don't care that much.

And you're bringing up more questions when you say their sells were so great because Nintendo sold so many out of the gate, and that's why they are the best selling. From 2006 - 2010, Nintendo had the most sells, by year. How is 4 years later "right out of the gate"? The DS also sold more units than Sony or Microsoft in 2010. Those suckers cost less than a $100 less than an Xbox, and a Wii (at the time) cost about $50 less, so I really can't see how price is such a huge issue unless you are earning money panhandling to save up for your next system.

For the life of me I don't know what you mean when you are saying not to look at units sold in order to see which one sold best. I can't even begin to understand why I would even need to explain how that doesn't make sense. Nintendo earned more money by selling more units.

I just simply disagree with your logic about why the Wii sells. Maybe instead of telling me that I understand the logic and going on to reiterate earlier things, you could offer some more expansion in what you said. But even still, I really don't think retirement homes, hospitals and adult foster cares are buying the Wiis because they can't afford the dime for a more advanced gaming system. My reason for not buying a PS or Xbox had absolutely nothing to do with price. By the time I latched onto a new system, I could get them both for around the same price I'd spend on partying in one weekend or even one night if I was diligent about it.

And that's one of the reasons the Wii succeeded, because it appealed to a different audience. I don't get why you think they are in some kind of direct competition. The Wii is used in a lot of physical treatment programs. I doubt people in detainment centers are playing Grand Theft Auto. There's an entirely different market that the Wii tapped into. You are making it into some kind of thing like Star Wars movies vs. The Lord of the Rings movies, when the Wii is probably more like a Gone With the Wind in 3-D. It had a catch that renewed the interest the old fans who I simply don't think you understand, as well as appealing to people who weren't interested in gaming. I thought this was pretty much accepted fact that everyone was cool with. This price difference thing is something new for me.

Like I think I said earlier, when I bought the Wii, it was because I was interested in the interface, nothing more. I already had plenty of gaming options on my computer and with the consoles I'd collected through the years, starting in the early-80s but then skipped from around the Genesis to the 1st gen Playstation. I wanted to get something different, not just something with a faster process and graphics card.

That's me, though. I grew up in the age of arcades and for me gaming was always a social experience. Graphics were never really exciting to me because I was brought up on relatively shitty graphics. The cut scenes on the Genesis were like movie scenes to me. When I saw the first Resident Evil, it didn't seem like it could get any better. By the time the PS2 rolled out, I was jaded and maxed out in my sense of childlike awe when it came to real-lookin' video games, and lost interest in one player gaming because I didn't have much alone time. It all just got kind of old.

It's my understanding that the Wii's core audience is also in this boat (including people who owned the first Pong-like consoles -- Wii is some futuristic stuff to those folks. Serious games are like another language to them - 360 worlds scare and confuse them. i've seen it firsthand.) The Wii showed up and sparked an interest by doing something different. Most of the Wii's costumers, I really don't see how price is an issue because we are talking about a lot of the 30 and older crowd. If you seriously know people who own a $199 Wii because they couldn't afford a $299 Playstation (and yes, the Wii was outselling Sony at those prices despite your proclamations) then once again, this is just because we are apparently from different worlds when it comes to our lifestyle. Even my kid has more disposable savings than that.

I didn't even address whether or not the WiiU would follow the same path as the first one, but since you brought it up - I want to buy one because I know they won't be making games for the Wii, and the interface seems neat to me. And yes, I'm starting to see a future where I'm going to have an increase in alone time, and titles like Arkham Asylum seem pretty cool to me. I'm just not going to buy an entirely new brand just to play them. (even though I've been tempted, I simply don't need more devices on my shelf). It has nothing to do with me thinking, "Wow! The Wii is the best system ever!!" (which seems to be the context your one-side-debating from)

However, I don't think all these treatment type centers and baby boomers are going to be upgrading out of the gate. Plus, it's different now because the interface that made Wii unique has been adopted by Sony and Microsoft, and as I mentioned, I'm pretty confident Apple is going to be rolling something out and that'll be difficult for Nintendo to compete with because probably more people own an iPod or iPad than they do a Wii. And what Apple has right now is essentially like the WiiU, minus the gaming options - using a tablet or iPod to interface with something connected to the TV. Then there are the other computer manufacturers who are going to be appealing to these tablet crowds. Android will be doing the same thing. Sony already has a streaming box similar to AppleTV. It's pretty wide open. That'll probably be a bigger detriment to Wii sales than Wii's own failure. Don't lie, man. You know there's millions of people who won't care as long as they can play Angry Birds on the big screen. It's not probably not as awesome as your games, which I know are great and all, but that's the way it is. Those people don't care. I don't care.

Last edited by The Postmaster General; 05-12-2012 at 02:22 PM..
Old 05-13-2012, 05:23 PM
I agree with the general sentiment that this just isn't that great of an idea for reasons that have been stated all over the interwebs.

Especially considering you'll soon be able to get an Xbox for 99 dollars. I just don't see how Nintendo is going to compete.

They are getting beat at their own game.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:55 PM
"hard core gamer" is my least favorite phrase ever. It's even worse than "Real Americans."
Old 05-13-2012, 09:48 PM
People love to shit on the Wii, Bubba. They don't like its success and triumph over the other consoles. It had inferior graphics, a novel motion-sensor concept, but was still loved by hardcore and casual gamers, alike.

Just like the Wii before it, the Wii U will get flak for being another novel concept machine. But I believe the success of the Wii will more than likely transfer to the Wii U. The touch-screen that acts and feels just like an iPad will communicate to non-gamers the simple concept behind its design.

I, myself, probably won't get any of the new consoles when they first came out. Another irritating staple of the current generations of consoles are the faulty workmanship that goes into it. I'll wait until they go down in price and fix all the hiccups and flaws that will no doubt become apparent once they are in use for long periods of time.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
"hard core gamer" is my least favorite phrase ever. It's even worse than "Real Americans."
It makes sense to me. "Real Americans" is totally metaphoric, unless you are talking about people who are real and also Americans, which it's never used that way. "Hardcore" has the definition of "intense loyalty and devotion" and we are talking about gamers. I would say the equivalent comparison to "Real Americans" would be "Video Game Geek/Nerd"

It being a stupid phrase makes sense to me too, because "hardcore" really does imply more seriousness than is actually warranted.

Quote:
People love to shit on the Wii, Bubba. They don't like its success and triumph over the other consoles. It had inferior graphics, a novel motion-sensor concept, but was still loved by hardcore and casual gamers, alike.

Just like the Wii before it, the Wii U will get flak for being another novel concept machine. But I believe the success of the Wii will more than likely transfer to the Wii U. The touch-screen that acts and feels just like an iPad will communicate to non-gamers the simple concept behind its design.

I, myself, probably won't get any of the new consoles when they first came out. Another irritating staple of the current generations of consoles are the faulty workmanship that goes into it. I'll wait until they go down in price and fix all the hiccups and flaws that will no doubt become apparent once they are in use for long periods of time.
Yeah, brand-hatred in general makes no sense to me but you see it with everything from cars to cellphones and everything in between and all around. I wonder if back in days before modern civilization, men were fuming over stuff like how to best build shelter. "Oh, look at Ogg! He's a pine wood man. Haha. Fucking loser probably couldn't find any oak." Then Ogg is standing over there talking about how the oak guys are nothing but trendy hipsters.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:08 AM
I have no loyalty to any brand, beyond the ability to play my old games on new consoles. That was the number one reason I bought a PS3. Not because I'm a Sony lover, but because I had spent hundreds/thousands of dollars on PS1 and PS2 games.

Now though, it's pretty much guaranteed that none of the new consoles will have compatibility. So my Sony "loyalty" is complete out of the window.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Now though, it's pretty much guaranteed that none of the new consoles will have compatibility. So my Sony "loyalty" is complete out of the window.
I don't know about Sony, but the next Xbox and the Wii U will use backwards compatibility. It was revealed last year that the Wii U will run old Wii games, but not Gamecube games.

Doesn't stop you from using your older consoles to play those games, you know
Old 05-15-2012, 11:04 AM
This should be interesting come this Winter. I have a feeling out of the gate, the Wii U will end up like the 3DS and not sell very well and will probably have a terrible lineup of launch titles that can be found on 360 and PS3 just with optimized controls for the controller. Some third parties have even claimed the Wii U isn't as power as many are saying and they don't intend to release certain games for it. I'm not drinking the kool-aid this time around like I did with the Wii. Nintendo needs to get their heads out of their asses and release something that isn't just a console but a entertainment system. Over a decade later and your Nintendo system can't even play a CD or DVD.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Ha, don't make me laugh. I mean i agree with you that there are ppl out there who just like to hate on this brand or that name but if you really want to play off the current hate for Nintendo being only that then you are, in fact, insane.

Lets just forget about every other company for the moment out side of the general tech that is CD's/DVD's and now Bluray's. If Nintendo knew what the hell they were doing they never would have released the N64 as a cartridge based machine. That was their first HUGE misstep and its cost them ever since.

Next they come out with the Game Cube and AGAIN instead of getting with the fucking times they decide to go with the folly of a Mini Disc based machine. This was their second HUGE misstep and it has also cost them.

Next we get the Wii. Now for the most part my real problem with the Wii was that it was about 50% bull shit. The hype they were making pre release was no where hear the finished product. Yes there were motion controls but they did not work as advertised and you could do any of these things by sitting on your couch and flopping your wrist around. They had to scramble and aput out "Wii Motion Plus" just to get their tech even close to what they had claimed it could do during pre release.

The games for the most part were pathetic time wasters that you can now find the equivalent of commonly on smart phones these days. Any games that were cross platform that were any lvl of graphic intense the Wii started to get their own shitty versions, the Green Lantern game is a prime example of this. The only thing they have going for the Wii is the Virtual Consol (though that is hardly unique to them anymore) and the newest installments of the franchises they've been cashing in on for DECADES!

What part of the above actually gives you confidence that Nintendo has their shit figured out this time around? Personally i'm not one of these "Nintendo haters" that you speak of like its trendy or something. A "hater" is someone asks them why they dislike something their only response is "i dunno, it just sucks" which is a bull shit cop out and i'm right there with ya that those ppl suck and have nothing to contribute to a discussion such as this. But do not play it off as that is all that encompasses the current hate for Nintendo.

Also its not so much about stacking up to one another. Nintendo stated their reasons for things like not having the Wii be an HD machine and they were sound reasons. Its more about their promises that they did break when it came to the Wii. And yes other systems have had short comings, i'm still sort of pissed my PS3 can't play PS2 disks at all, but Nintendo is the only company who seems to choose to head in the wrong direction time after time.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Ha, don't make me laugh. I mean i agree with you that there are ppl out there who just like to hate on this brand or that name but if you really want to play off the current hate for Nintendo being only that then you are, in fact, insane.

Lets just forget about every other company for the moment out side of the general tech that is CD's/DVD's and now Bluray's. If Nintendo knew what the hell they were doing they never would have released the N64 as a cartridge based machine. That was their first HUGE misstep and its cost them ever since.

Next they come out with the Game Cube and AGAIN instead of getting with the fucking times they decide to go with the folly of a Mini Disc based machine. This was their second HUGE misstep and it has also cost them.

Next we get the Wii. Now for the most part my real problem with the Wii was that it was about 50% bull shit. The hype they were making pre release was no where hear the finished product. Yes there were motion controls but they did not work as advertised and you could do any of these things by sitting on your couch and flopping your wrist around. They had to scramble and aput out "Wii Motion Plus" just to get their tech even close to what they had claimed it could do during pre release.

The games for the most part were pathetic time wasters that you can now find the equivalent of commonly on smart phones these days. Any games that were cross platform that were any lvl of graphic intense the Wii started to get their own shitty versions, the Green Lantern game is a prime example of this. The only thing they have going for the Wii is the Virtual Consol (though that is hardly unique to them anymore) and the newest installments of the franchises they've been cashing in on for DECADES!

What part of the above actually gives you confidence that Nintendo has their shit figured out this time around? Personally i'm not one of these "Nintendo haters" that you speak of like its trendy or something. A "hater" is someone asks them why they dislike something their only response is "i dunno, it just sucks" which is a bull shit cop out and i'm right there with ya that those ppl suck and have nothing to contribute to a discussion such as this. But do not play it off as that is all that encompasses the current hate for Nintendo.

Also its not so much about stacking up to one another. Nintendo stated their reasons for things like not having the Wii be an HD machine and they were sound reasons. Its more about their promises that they did break when it came to the Wii. And yes other systems have had short comings, i'm still sort of pissed my PS3 can't play PS2 disks at all, but Nintendo is the only company who seems to choose to head in the wrong direction time after time.
Quote:
People love to shit on the Wii, Bubba.
QED
Old 05-17-2012, 08:09 AM
Quote:
QED
what ever you gotta tell yourself man
Old 05-17-2012, 10:03 AM
I think Vong is just messing with you vesaker. No one really thinks you enjoy shitting on the Wii. All you want to do is enjoy yourself in the numerous other gaming threads, but then people start talking about the Wii and you have to set them straight. It's purely a sense of duty and in no way a source of pleasure. Props to you, man.

Vong, I guess I can add "and/or people who aren't interested in sitting on their couch and flopping their wrist around" to the expansive demographics I mentioned earlier that weren't just gamers looking for the next best thing.

Should I really have one of these Wii Motion Plus things, Vong? Or is it one of those things that I didn't think I needed until someone told me I did? I'm not really an expectations kind of guy when it comes to this stuff but you seem to have a pretty good insight on the system. If it's something that is really going to make the system seem more awesome, I'd pick one up.

EDIT: Ah, just realized the light blue controller I got for my kid is a Motion Plus. I didn't realize there was a difference. Is he handicapping me with that thing? Little cheat!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Nintendo never really pushed the idea that their consoles would be all about graphics. They push gameplay.

Now the Wii was a creative idea. The execution was not strong though. Add in that the games were very poor. Why were people playing Wii Sports longer than the actual games released? Not a good sign for long term.

Most people that play video games play them to let off some steam. They do not want to be up and moving around. It is lazy time for most, myself included.

But, some people do want to move and try new things.

For many, myself included, after a few months, the Wii became a paperweight. I have gone probably 2 years without playing mine.

But, nobody should ever say Nintendo has been about graphics, or that is why they are failing. How can you be failing when your console was the top one of the newest 3 released?

Personally, the only console I play out of the 3, I own all 3 of them, is the PS3. I had the RROD on the 360, sent it in, got it back, and played it once or twice in the last year. I have no issue with any of the console makers, and cannot wait to see what they release next.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
I think Vong is just messing with you vesaker. No one really thinks you enjoy shitting on the Wii. All you want to do is enjoy yourself in the numerous other gaming threads, but then people start talking about the Wii and you have to set them straight. It's purely a sense of duty and in no way a source of pleasure. Props to you, man.
I'm sry but the Wii just fell short of pretty much every promise they were throwing out during the time leading up to release. maybe its cause i actually followed that stuff pretty closely that time around and was left horribly disappointed by what they put out.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:34 PM
Quote:
I'm sry but the Wii just fell short of pretty much every promise they were throwing out during the time leading up to release. maybe its cause i actually followed that stuff pretty closely that time around and was left horribly disappointed by what they put out.
I'd disagree in that regard. The remote controller, when utilized for a number of games, was a pretty amazing control scheme to utilize. For one, I'd say it's the best console FPS control available. (I stress the word "Console" Keyboard + mouse is still best overall) The Wii Sports titles was a pretty brilliant way of bringing millions of young and old to the gaming fold.

The area where Nintendo messed up the hardest was online. I hated Friend Codes from Day 1 and their Wii Shop fizzled out fairly quickly. Even their Virtual Console service has been terribly limp the last 2 years as releases have been rare at best. From what I've read, the policies regarding sales & profits on the developer side for WiiWare was pretty awful. They've rectified it with their set-up of the 3DS eShop so it remains to be seen what will happen for Wii U.

Along with Online, the biggest area the Wii faltered but the Wii U is looking to fix in an interesting manner is 3rd Party support.

Judging from reports, the power of the Wii U should be high enough that there won't be a power gap like we saw with the Wii and the PS360. It won't be even as powerful as the PS4/720 but close enough to receive ports of them that don't lose too much in graphical fidelity.

They're in an interesting spot to leverage on their side in regards to time and system power. The $300 price point can work in their favor. It seems a bit high but who knows how everything will shake out when the PS4/720 are out.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc5145 View Post
I'd disagree in that regard. The remote controller, when utilized for a number of games, was a pretty amazing control scheme to utilize. For one, I'd say it's the best console FPS control available. (I stress the word "Console" Keyboard + mouse is still best overall) The Wii Sports titles was a pretty brilliant way of bringing millions of young and old to the gaming fold.
I'm not saying the motion controls were dumb i'm saying they were not as precise as advertised. When they were pitching the system at E3 they were talking about actually needing to move like the thigns in the game. You actually need to stand and swing like a tennis player to play the tennis, you need to stand and swing like a golfer to play the golf, etc. But that was not the case. You could sit on your ass and flop your wrist around and get the exact same effect.

Also i'm not sure how many different games you played, myself i've maybe played 15 different Wii games tops and many of them the Marios, Zelda's and Kirby's, but often i found they tried to use the motion stuff where they had no business. The biggest one was Marvel Ult Alliance 2. I just wanted the regualr button layout like on other systems/past similar games but no i had to swing to the left instead of press X or do a circle instead of square or what have you. Oft times the controllers couldn't figure out what motion i was doing though i got frantic sometimes. Metroid Prime 3 was the only game i played where the motion controls felt really well used.

Quote:
The area where Nintendo messed up the hardest was online. I hated Friend Codes from Day 1 and their Wii Shop fizzled out fairly quickly. Even their Virtual Console service has been terribly limp the last 2 years as releases have been rare at best. From what I've read, the policies regarding sales & profits on the developer side for WiiWare was pretty awful. They've rectified it with their set-up of the 3DS eShop so it remains to be seen what will happen for Wii U.
Yeah i never got into the friends code thing either. The virtual console i grabbed about 7 or 8 games in a month period but after that i haven't gotten any. They don't release them fast enough, same with the PSN and their PS1 classics.

Quote:
Along with Online, the biggest area the Wii faltered but the Wii U is looking to fix in an interesting manner is 3rd Party support.

Judging from reports, the power of the Wii U should be high enough that there won't be a power gap like we saw with the Wii and the PS360. It won't be even as powerful as the PS4/720 but close enough to receive ports of them that don't lose too much in graphical fidelity.

They're in an interesting spot to leverage on their side in regards to time and system power. The $300 price point can work in their favor. It seems a bit high but who knows how everything will shake out when the PS4/720 are out.
Yeah i'm sure it will sell, just not like the Wii did. I'm sure i'll even get one eventually just like the Wii as i will want to play the next Zelda and the like as those seem to be the only games Nintendo puts out that interest me anymore.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Quote:
I don't know about Sony, but the next Xbox and the Wii U will use backwards compatibility. It was revealed last year that the Wii U will run old Wii games, but not Gamecube games.

Doesn't stop you from using your older consoles to play those games, you know
Where is it confirmed that the next Xbox will have compatibility? I didn't know info had been released already?

Either way, I don't own any Xbox or Wii games so it's a moot point. Your right I can just keep my old consoles but that just takes up storage/shelf space. I'm really anal about keeping things around that aren't being used much.

Honestly I might just take this opportunity to rid myself of consoles completely and just stick to casual PC gaming.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Honestly I might just take this opportunity to rid myself of consoles completely and just stick to casual PC gaming.
This seems to be everyone's best bet now. There's a recent resurgence of PC playing (probably due to Diablo 3, ha!), and except for the first-party franchises that consoles will release, most-if-not-all third-party titles will go on the PC for much cheaper.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:07 AM
Quote:
searching the net :

Sony - When the Kotaku source informed the blog about the PlayStation 4 Orbis codename and 2013 release date, they also said something quite frightening: that the PS4 will not be backwards compatible and will have a used-game lock.

Microsoft - Xbox720 will have no disk drive and use a new format instead ( like a SD card for example ). No disk drive = no backward compatibility

Nintendo - confirmed Wii games will be playable on Wii U
Old 05-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Quote:
I'm not saying the motion controls were dumb i'm saying they were not as precise as advertised. When they were pitching the system at E3 they were talking about actually needing to move like the thigns in the game. You actually need to stand and swing like a tennis player to play the tennis, you need to stand and swing like a golfer to play the golf, etc. But that was not the case. You could sit on your ass and flop your wrist around and get the exact same effect.
I agree in this regard and I think they botched it a bit by releasing the Wii Motion Plus and fragmenting the user base.

Quote:
Also i'm not sure how many different games you played, myself i've maybe played 15 different Wii games tops and many of them the Marios, Zelda's and Kirby's, but often i found they tried to use the motion stuff where they had no business. The biggest one was Marvel Ult Alliance 2. I just wanted the regualr button layout like on other systems/past similar games but no i had to swing to the left instead of press X or do a circle instead of square or what have you. Oft times the controllers couldn't figure out what motion i was doing though i got frantic sometimes. Metroid Prime 3 was the only game i played where the motion controls felt really well used.
A lot games did showhorn motion controls in a stupid manner but when utilized well, they were awesome.

The 1st Godfather game was effectively a GTA clone but the controls were sublime with the wii remote + nunchuck. I really hope the actual GTA, if it comes to Wii U, allows for a similar option.

Zack & Wiki by Capcom had some of the best use of the remote in the puzzels they crafted.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 1 had great controls that allowed you to wield the lightsaber with the remote and force powers with the nunchuck. Force choking someone then slamming them with the nunchuck felt stupidly satisfying everytime I did it.

The re-done Resident Evil 4 (also Capcom, go figure) also controlled excellently with the IR pointer to the point where I'd prefer to play RE 6 on the Wii U if it allowed for the remote + nunchuck combo.

That sort of reminds me...why the hell haven't Lucasarts made a Full on Lightsaber Wii game with Motion Plus? It's far more capable to pull it off than the crummy Kinect.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:56 PM
Quote:
This seems to be everyone's best bet now. There's a recent resurgence of PC playing (probably due to Diablo 3, ha!), and except for the first-party franchises that consoles will release, most-if-not-all third-party titles will go on the PC for much cheaper.
Blizzard games are a large part of it yes. But I think Steam deserves the majority of the credit for bringing back PC gaming to something respectable.

Plus with PC games, the free to play model is becoming more and more popular. Just look at the success of League of Legends as an example.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Blizzard games are a large part of it yes. But I think Steam deserves the majority of the credit for bringing back PC gaming to something respectable.
Steam is pretty cool. I was only introduced to it when i got Skyrim but from the looks of it it makes it easy for you if you want to play PC games by having so many there at your disposal should you choose to pay their prices. I always remember having to goto this or that specific store to find any selection of PC games.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:20 AM
An article on Gamespot about how much the WiiU should cost

Quote:
Wii U must be under $300 - Analyst

June 13, 2012 6:54AM PDT
By Eddie Makuch, News Editor

Wedbush's Michael Pachter says optimal price for Nintendo's new console is $250 or less, system lacks "killer app" to help drive system sales.

The Wii U must retail for under $300 at launch later this year, Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter told CVG. The industry watcher further explained that an optimal price for the system is $250 or less.
Only Nintendo knows just how much the Wii U will cost.

If the Wii U launches at $250, it will mirror the Wii, which went on sale during November 2006 in North America at that price point. Nintendo showed off the Wii U GamePad at the 2012 Electronic Entertainment Expo last week and highlighted new games like Pikmin 3 and Lego City Undercover, but has yet to reveal a price for the system, which is due for a worldwide release this holiday season.

A report from April suggested the Wii U would cost more than $300 at launch. This estimate was based on a purported total cost of materials required to manufacture the Wii U console, as revealed by sources involved with manufacturing and distributing Nintendo products.

Pachter also spoke about the Wii U's GamePad, saying the new controller is "sufficiently novel and different from traditional controllers," but his praise for the system ended there. He said the Wii U lacks a "killer app" that will drive system sales in the way that the system-bundled Wii Sports did for the Wii.

The analyst also said he was confounded by some of the design choices for Wii U software. In particular, he leveled his criticisms at the newly announced Sing game from DJ Hero studio FreeStyle Games.

"At E3 I was not particularly impressed with many of the games, and in particular found Sing baffling," he said. "I don't understand why I need a tablet to read karaoke words rather than reading the words on the TV screen instead."
Source

He makes some interesting points. I had forgotten that the Wii had came with Wii Sports (which again fell short, they said you were gettign 5 games not mini games) which would have helped its sales along with other factors.

I'm not sure how they are going to keep the cost of the controllers down either. I mean Wiimotes are $30-$40 depending on where you get them i can't imagine how much a controller with a screen that your supposed to be able to keep playing the game on will cost to replace.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:31 PM
My biggest complaint about the Wii is the weak games. Where are the sandbox games? I love open world games and Wii just doesn't have any. When I say open world I mean something like San Andreas. I think the hardware is just slightly better than the original xbox, but you wouldn't know that playing the games on it.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston_79 View Post
My biggest complaint about the Wii is the weak games. Where are the sandbox games? I love open world games and Wii just doesn't have any. When I say open world I mean something like San Andreas. I think the hardware is just slightly better than the original xbox, but you wouldn't know that playing the games on it.
Yeah they lack of processing power was made more prevalent with the cross platform titles as well. Just check out these boxes for the Green Lantern game

Old 06-17-2012, 03:13 PM
RUMOR: Leaked Best Buy Kiosk Photo Prices Wii U At $300

article info:
By McKinley Noble, Contributing Editor
Posted on June 10, 2012 AT 06:55pm
http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/...-wii-u-at-300/

Nintendo has been incredibly cagey about the price of the Nintendo Wii U, going as far as keeping it a secret during E3 2012. But according to an alleged leaked photo from a Best Buy employee kiosk, the console may launch at $300.

An anonymous tipster leaked the photograph in question to fansite GoNintendo, who ran the picture earlier today.

Although the picture isn’t close to conclusive (most retailers use placeholder prices), but the source appears to be legit. Searching for the SKU shown in the image—”5709727″—on the regular Best Buy website leads right to the retailer’s current Wii U product page: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...egories&ks=960.

Should you believe it or not? Most Best Buy rumors are generally hit-and-miss, but the retailer has leaked accurate information in the past about the following products:

* Sony’s 40GB PlayStation 3 model
* Nintendo’s $199 Wii (price drop)
* The Motorola Xoom’s street date
* Apple’s white iPhone 4
* The Verizon Galaxy Nexus’ North American street date
* Sony’s PlayStation 3 Slim redesign

Then again, for every street date and price Best Buy posts, there’s another one that’s wrong—recently, the electronics retailer was way off the mark about Diablo III‘s release date, claiming it would hit in February 2012. As we all know now, that game wouldn’t be ready until more than three months later.

Regardless, $300 would be the sweet spot for the Wii U’s launch. Not only does that price it competitively with the cheapest PlayStation 3 ($250 for the 160GB “Slim”) and Xbox 360 ($199 for the 4GB unit), but that should place the Wii U well below whatever the successors to each console will likely cost at launch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Update) on the Best Buy page( provided above) and under the "Narrow Your Results". There is this:

* Price
$250 - $499.99 (1)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...s&nrp=15&iht=n

Last edited by Ruly2; 06-17-2012 at 03:23 PM..
Old 06-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston_79 View Post
Yeah that's what I believe is the biggest shame for the Wii; the shitty games. They had absolutely no standards for 3rd party titles released this gen. I actually had to write a paper on Nintendo's success with the Wii in college last year and found that they actually haven't been doing so great recently. This is probably why they want to win back "hardcore gamers". And the quality of games research I did just backed up the weak games argument. They ended up having an enormous lead over both the 360 and PS3 in percentage of games released on their console that received poor reviews (and by poor, I mean seriously shitty, not "average" 7/10s that many game review sites have as their standards; I'm talking more 3/10 and lower averages). There is no arguing this after I found "The Bachelor: The Videogame" in a store for the Wii.

But I am curious to see how the Wii U turns out. Every few years I always end up getting nostalgic for the classic Nintendo franchises like Mario and Zelda. I understand they still make top quality games with those characters, but it's hard to justify buying a system to get 1 great game maybe once a year to play. They seem to have better 3rd party support going in for the Wii U, but most of the games announced; while great, we've already gotten to play on either the 360 or PS3. Don't see the point in buying them again. They need more original stuff like that Zombie U game. I'm afraid they'll slip back into getting shitty support though once the PS4 and whatever the next Xbox is called comes out. They'll both inevitably crush the Wii U specs and make it impossible for 3rd parties to develop the same title for all 3 consoles again.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:00 PM
This article from Kotaku's Stephen Totilo is a good read.

If the last generation has taught us anything, is that Microsoft and Sony were anxious to target the non-gamer demographic that Nintendo tapped into with their own (in Sony's case, duplicated) versions of motion control. What Microsoft and Sony need to do is make a system that counters what Nintendo is offering and not just replicate it. Like any industry, the gaming industry needs variety. And copying a novel concept from a rival company doesn't benefit the market in terms of competition. It only means to saturate it with the same bloody concept and turn it into an overused fad.

So far the only next-gen console that for sure has my money is the Wii U. I recently upgraded my PC, so any title (besides first party) that will be offered on the other consoles, I'll have for cheap on my rig. The next gen console for Microsoft and Sony better offer more than just updated graphics. Otherwise, I'm not bothering to get 'em.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:52 PM
Well my money is on the WIIU for innovation but Nintendo really needs to up their game library.

I mean , making MS/Sony incorporate a joystick or 2 on their controller was great ( N64 was first ) and the WIImote motion detection paved the way for Kinect and Move.

Yet beside Mario & Link they failed to attract the big players. Sure , MGS and Splinter Cell were ported but they were half-assed attempts not capturing the true potential of the machine.

I wish WIIU does that. I watched the ZombieU trailer and noticed how many shit can be done with the new controller. Hope 3rd party make use of it to the full extend instead of lame ass port.

Makes me remember when playing Tiger Wood on my Gamecube was more awesome if i plugged a gameboy into the console.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Rumor: Wii-u = 11/14/2012

Nintendo's Wii U console made a big splash at this year's E3, showing off a plethora of upcoming games, the new GamePad, as well as showing off the upcoming Miiverse in-game social network. If you were hoping for a release date or retail price to be announced, you were most likely disappointed after E3. Nintendo has yet to make an official announcement, but it looks like their release date might have been leaked.

According to a leaked internal GameStop memo, there are fourteen total games planned for release for the Wii U, the earliest of which have a release date of November 14th. Seeing as many of Nintendo's previous products have launched in mid-November, it would seem this rumor launch window would be ideal for the company's newest console.

Big name publishers such as Ubisoft, EA, and Warner Bros. Interactive have already announced their upcoming Wii U titles such as Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition, Assassin's Creed 3 and Mass Effect 3. Many of these titles have already been released on the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC, but some of these titles will have Wii U-exclusive content.

Seeing as it's the end of July, this bit of news gives you four months to save enough of your hard-earned money in order to purchase the Wii U. Let's just hope Nintendo keeps it under the magical price of $299.
http://www.idigitaltimes.com/article...d-november.htm
Old 07-24-2012, 10:20 AM
I'd say that either that is a fabrication or Nintendo is crazy.

A # of games to be released on Jan 1st when nothing is open? Sure those dates can change but it just looks fishy.

$100 a game? are you fucking kidding me? Brand new games sell for $70 tops unless its some sort of special edition. Also if they are selling something like Assassins Creed 3 for $60 how the fuck are they going to sell something like LEGO Undercover for $100?

If these sort of prices are Nintendo's attempt to keep the price of the system down they can go fuck themselves.