Old 11-13-2013, 04:39 AM
True Detective

The lives of two detectives, Rust Cohle (Matthew McConaughey) and Martin Hart (Woody Harrelson), become entangled during a 17-year hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roiKrE5KLbk

Premieres: January 12th, 2014

I'm genuinely excited about this show. It looks like it has true potential. Aside from the lead actors, I am genuinely curious about the show spanning 17 years. And I love the setting. We're so used to seeing serial killers set in dark and rundown cities or mid-Western towns, but not so much in the South.

And it goes without saying that Woody and McConaughey smoked themselves retarded during the making of this show.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:41 AM
Lots of potential here. The back and forth between the 2 leads here is worth the price of an hbo trial subscription alone.

It looks as though Shea Whigham may have a prominent role as a theatrical preacher man, which should excite all you Boardwalk fans.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:52 PM
Very excited about the show for the reasons stated above as well as the fact that Cary Fukunaga is a very promising talent and that he directed all ten episodes. It should be quite a feat to watch.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:11 PM

Umm yes please!

McCounghey is unstoppable at the moment.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Yeah, this one's a no-doubter.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:17 AM
Well this just had the best damn pilot I've seen since at least Breaking Bad.

McConaughey has been consistently topping himself for four projects in a row now. Hart and Cohle are endlessly fascinating and the performances are pitch perfect. Love the dialogue, the tone, the world. I am supremely excited for the rest of this series. Shows often struggle to find their footing in their opening hours and get better as they go along, but no show that has started this strong has ever disappointed me.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:48 AM
I wish I had HBO

gonna have to stream the pilot sometime soon cause I really want to see this

Last edited by echo_bravo; 01-13-2014 at 08:05 PM..
Old 01-13-2014, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
Well this just had the best damn pilot I've seen since at least Breaking Bad.

McConaughey has been consistently topping himself for four projects in a row now. Hart and Cohle are endlessly fascinating and the performances are pitch perfect. Love the dialogue, the tone, the world. I am supremely excited for the rest of this series. Shows often struggle to find their footing in their opening hours and get better as they go along, but no show that has started this strong has ever disappointed me.
I'm in complete agreement. The confidence displayed on every level in this project, from the writing, cinematography, and music, down to the acting (my god, the acting), period authenticity, and even the title sequence is just staggering. A marvel right out of the gate. Cannot wait to see more.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:57 AM
I don't say this often, but if I were to describe this show, it'd be poetic. There's something in the language, the way McConaughey and Harrelson speak, the pacing of the episode, and how the story unfolds. It doesn't feel quite like a show, and it doesn't feel like a film either. It's something else, and I'm very impressed by it.

They've given McConaughey some gems: "I don't sleep, I just dream."

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading."

"It's Thursday and it's past noon. Thursday is one of my days off. On my days off I start drinking at noon. You don't get to interrupt that."

I'm hooked.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:34 PM

"then start asking the right fuckin questions"

Everything that came out of Matthew's mouth was golden. Very well written .

I too am hooked.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop No. 633 View Post
I don't say this often, but if I were to describe this show, it'd be poetic. There's something in the language, the way McConaughey and Harrelson speak, the pacing of the episode, and how the story unfolds. It doesn't feel quite like a show, and it doesn't feel like a film either. It's something else, and I'm very impressed by it.

They've given McConaughey some gems: "I don't sleep, I just dream."

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading."

"It's Thursday and it's past noon. Thursday is one of my days off. On my days off I start drinking at noon. You don't get to interrupt that."

I'm hooked.
Thank you for saying what I've been trying to wrap my mind about on what I felt about this show. Those quotes complimented the work at hand in this show, and kept me utterly engaged.

I'm gonna get my parents hooked on this show just so I can rewatch the pilot.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop No. 633 View Post
"I don't sleep, I just dream."
The brief Harrelson reaction shot to that line was priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
"then start asking the right fuckin questions"
That line, followed by The Black Angels song cue, followed by the cut to black gave me chills. The filmmaking is so assured, it's insane. I think we have another HBO classic, folks.

Last edited by Bourne101; 01-14-2014 at 06:29 PM..
Old 01-14-2014, 06:22 PM
I really liked Fukanaga's Sin Nombre and McConaughey has been hitting it out of the park this year so I'm excited to see this.

I had read some reviews that made it sound like it took a few episodes to warm up so I was going to wait and binge a few altogether but the reactions here have me convinced to give it a go sooner
Old 01-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Can't imagine this show blowing up. But whether it does or doesn't, this and Rectify have to be the most impressive shows that have begun in the last 2 years. Both remind me so much of Denis Johnson stories, and I get engulfed into the characters. This premiere was downright filthy lol. Loved it.

"I believe we, as brothers and sisters, should walk hand-in-hand into extinction."
Old 01-14-2014, 07:03 PM
Fantastic. McConaughey was just wonderful to behold.

Also nice to see HBO regulars like Clarke Peters and Kevin Dunn show up.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:29 PM
First episode really impressed me, can't wait to see what the rest of the series has in store. Every one seems perfect for their roles, too.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:53 AM
I'll echo everything written so far.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post
Can't imagine this show blowing up.

Well, if the first episode is any indication, it may just do that.

http://www.thewrap.com/203317/

Although I can't imagine it will carry the same pop culture appeal of Game of Thrones, no matter how good it is.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:30 AM
But I do wonder how many tuned in mostly for the McConnaughey/Harrelson combo and won't continue because the show, it turns out, is not a normal procedural (always the highest-rated dramas on TV) and is far more a character study than most.

I hope it does well, I loved the first epsiode. But I wouldn't be surprised, with some of the reactions I've seen, if the shows falls to the 1.3-1.5 range.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:05 PM
"Then start asking the right fucking questions."

That simple line, combined with Matthew McConaughey's delivery and the use of The Black Angels' "Young Men Dead", gave me fucking chills!

What a killer pilot! This is EXACTLY how you make an effective, compelling pilot. One of the best pilots I've seen in quite some time. Everything - the performances, writing, direction, cinematography - is top-notch. I'm totally hooked, and I can't wait to watch more! HBO has another winner on their hands!

Strider
Old 01-18-2014, 06:38 PM
Great pilot, but when do get to see blue eye's double ds?
Old 01-20-2014, 07:41 PM
I wouldn't say I'm "hooked," but I'm definitely intrigued. As QUENTIN mentioned, McCoughnahey has been absolutely killin' it recently.

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 01-21-2014 at 07:34 PM..
Old 01-20-2014, 07:48 PM
Speaking of last night's episode, I don't usually like nudity for the sake of nudity, especially in high-grade shows like this, but . . . .

I'm making an exception.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:11 PM

Haha ^^^ amen outsyder. I agree. Caught the second episode and DAMN I want to see Alexandra Daddario jumping on a trampoline.

Oh and of course another great episode. Excellent use of music and I love how wacky & intense Matthew's character is. This has some really good depictions of white trash in it as well.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:33 AM
I have to agree on all counts about the nudity. Yes, MY GOD, what a sight to behold, but it's also the only moment of the first two episodes when I sighed and felt the show was falling into familiar, trodden territory.

With that said, I am intoxicated by this show. The cinematography and the poetic dialogue absolutely slays me. I am completely hooked into this thing.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:18 PM
Watched the pilot. Seems like really good quality. Has a sombre tone that reminded me of Hannibal (even down to the antlers shit). I read up that this will be anthology series and the cast will change every season like American Horror Story.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:36 PM
Just saw the pilot as well. I'm transfixed.

I'm still in awe at how far McConaughey has come & grown.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:47 PM
Apparently the half charred and gutted church from this latest episode was built from the ground up for this show. Talk about amazing set/production design. Loved that scene. The way they filmed the actors walking through the back half of the building amongst the jutting support beams made it look as though they were standing within a giant skeleton. Appropriate, given the tone and subject matter, wouldn't you say? Really digging the little details and the atmosphere of this show.

Spoiler:
With Boardwalk not returning until September, I'm really looking forward to seeing Shea Whigham pop up in the coming episodes. If the trailer is any indication, my guess is that he plays the pastor of the tented congregation that Rust and Martin are seeking out.

Last edited by Delmont ; 01-22-2014 at 09:55 PM..
Old 01-23-2014, 12:37 AM
This show is so good.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:09 PM
Saw the second ep. Yeah, it's a brilliant show. HBO just fucking knows.

McConaughey has impressed me so much in 2013 he made me honour him in my new avatar - the guy has just completely transformed, it's really something else.

Oh and yes, I didn't mind the nude scene in episode 2 one bit. Not one bit.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:10 PM
It is really good, but I find the writing slightly overblown in places and the structure somewhat distracting. It's a slow-burner, for sure, and in the very best sense of the word. The setting and locations are fantastic and both leads are, as one would expect, flawless.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:36 AM
Episode 3 was my favorite.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:30 AM
"THERE'S A MONSTER AT THE END OF IT."....

The last shot from this episode was so fucking well done and creepy. It's seems that the next few episodes are gong to get really dark.+
Old 01-27-2014, 09:55 AM
Shea Wigham did not disappoint. His physicality and kinetic energy in that sermon alone was quite impressive. Hope we see him again.

McConaughey is getting a lot of love (and rightly so), but Woody is going toe-to-toe with him, and last night was a good showing for what he can do. The juxtaposition of his faux joviality and good ole boy cool mixed with his intense insecurity/rage is a high wire act that a lesser performer would botch.

Surely I'm not the only one who thought that it was a brave choice to show a presumed villain in nothing but tighty whities and a gas mask (albeit brandishing a machete). While it was certainly an image that sparked a great curiosity, perhaps there should be a temporary moratorium on the image in the wake of Breaking Bad's conclusion.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:50 AM
There is gonna be one hell of an epic viral video made sometime after the end of this season, exclusively for those misanthropic McConaughey moments and Harrelson's priceless reactions TO them. Mark my words.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:19 PM
3 for motherfucking 3, so far. Good lord.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmont View Post
Shea Wigham did not disappoint. His physicality and kinetic energy in that sermon alone was quite impressive. Hope we see him again.

McConaughey is getting a lot of love (and rightly so), but Woody is going toe-to-toe with him, and last night was a good showing for what he can do. The juxtaposition of his faux joviality and good ole boy cool mixed with his intense insecurity/rage is a high wire act that a lesser performer would botch.

Surely I'm not the only one who thought that it was a brave choice to show a presumed villain in nothing but tighty whities and a gas mask (albeit brandishing a machete). While it was certainly an image that sparked a great curiosity, perhaps there should be a temporary moratorium on the image in the wake of Breaking Bad's conclusion.
And he was probably cooking Meth , there was also one of those sticks figures in that scene.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:59 AM

another great episode. And you can't go wrong with Shea Wigham.

that last shot was chilling.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:06 PM
Love Shea Wigham.

Bit roles now in Wolf of Wall Street, American Hustle, and now True Detective. He's having a pretty damn good year.

Last edited by outsyder; 01-28-2014 at 06:08 PM..
Old 01-28-2014, 07:26 PM
This show is getting better by the episode. Loving all the philosophical discussions. I wanna say this is what The Killing would look like if set in Louisiana.