Old 12-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Brazil (1985)

I just re-watched BRAZIL (1985), and I have to say I think Terry Gilliam did an amazing job.
Anybody know why the title, though?
Old 12-06-2012, 01:03 AM
The title carries significance at several levels. First, the film was conceived as a reaction to the sight of a man on a beach with a radio listening to the song Brazil. Second, the word represents the unknowable unattainable utopic existence which always lays beyond the realm of the possible. This is understood at perhaps two levels. The most obvious being the song itself, which reappears throughout the film. If you listen to the song you will hear that the mood represents the type of transcendently perfect existence the protagonist (and you, right?) dreams of. Also, the lyrics mimic well what is going on at the narrative level of the film, and what the protagonist (and by extension you while you're phenomenologically stuck at the level of the protagonist, right?) dreams of as his paradoxically unrealizable future. Third, the title is referencing the fact that during much of the 20th century the country of Brazil mimicked a great deal of the practices portrayed in the film. For example, forcing people to finance their own torture and murder at the hands of the state through a private credit line was taken from actual practices taking place in Brazil. Fourth, the title represents the fact that Brazil is the real life motivation behind both the hell and the utopia of the film. The State seen in the film is largely mimicking the State of Brazil, while the song which represents his ultimate unknowable unattainable utopic existence is in fact about Brazil. His paradise is his hell, and it is inescapable (unless you watched the Love Conquers All version, then yeah forget all this analysis).

Worth mentioning, it was originally going to be called 1984, a reference to the two largest influences on the film: 1984 and 8. If you like Brazil and haven't seen the latter, I highly recommend it.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:15 AM
This is among my all time favorite films. Without adding to Gordon's greatness is touching on the title significance, all I'll say is that I'm excited to check out the new BR release on this from Criterion, though am puzzled it only includes the one version. Between this an the Qatsi Trilogy hitting BR, Xmas is going to keep me on the couch during -- glad I got my vacation time approved. Ho ho ho!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:50 AM
Love this film. Its # 225 on my top 1,000. I feel like this is one of the more under appreciated films of the 80's. Its funny, its unique, has great production value, the music is incredible and its completely off the wall. It seems to only get better with age. Love the DeNiro small role. At first I didn't care much for the ending but it definitely grew on me and now I really like it.

Last edited by creekin111; 12-06-2012 at 05:52 AM..
Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the insights, very interesting. This is one of the films that I cycle back to every few years. Can't even say exactly what it is about it that I find so compelling. Probably something deeply subconscious. I just think it is a quiet masterpiece.

Will def check out 8 1/2... thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maude View Post
Thanks for the insights, very interesting. This is one of the films that I cycle back to every few years. Can't even say exactly what it is about it that I find so compelling. Probably something deeply subconscious. I just think it is a quiet masterpiece.

Will def check out 8 1/2... thanks for the heads up.
Yes check out 8 1/2 immediately! I bought the Blu-Ray not too long ago but even dvd is fine.