Old 04-14-2013, 03:00 PM
Oblivion

Didn't see a thread for this so I'll go ahead a start one for this film. Apparently its already playing overseas and has been getting some decent reviews so thats good. I'll probably check it out. Oh and for all the people overseas let me know if its worth seeing in IMAX.

Plot: A veteran assigned to extract Earth's remaining resources begins to question what he knows about his mission and himself.

Director: Joseph Kosinski

Stars: Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman
Old 04-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Catching an early screening on Tuesday. I'm pretty indifferent towards it so far, but it looks like decent fun. Hopefully it'll surprise me.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Catching an early screening on Tuesday. I'm pretty indifferent towards it so far, but it looks like decent fun. Hopefully it'll surprise me.
Nice dude! Let me know how it was. I'll probably see it opening night. But I'm just debating whether or not to see it in IMAX or not.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:04 PM
I also feel indifferent to it, but I'll probably catch it in IMAX.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:08 AM
Saw it last tuesday. One of the better SF movies of the couple last years. All the performances are great and the story keeps intriguing you till the last minute. The effects are topnotch, especially the drones. 9/10

This movie made me forget about the awful 'Jack Reacher'.

Spoiler:
Althought Oblivion had some great plot twists I couldn't help think they got some inspiration from Sam Rockwell's 'Moon'
Old 04-15-2013, 07:40 AM
I saw it last week. It's a damn fine sci-fi movie. All the elements are top-notch (performances, music, sets, action, visual effects, photography). The only weak point I think it has is the story, it goes to drink at some other sci-fi sources, like
Spoiler:
Matrix, Moon, ID4
, for example. Nevertheless, it's an awesome movie, and my favorite of the year so far.

8/10

Last edited by miguel_montes; 04-15-2013 at 10:18 AM..
Old 04-15-2013, 08:16 AM
I think you should put those sci-fi sources in spoiler tags. Just saying.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:13 AM
It appears as if the IMAX shows will begin Thursday at 8pm, so I hope to make it to one of those. Visually it looks quite impressive, and I'm always up for a little Tom Cruise. Perhaps best of all is the great score M83 has written, which should sound fantastic in an IMAX house.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
I think you should put those sci-fi sources in spoiler tags. Just saying.
No problem. Edited.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:22 PM
I say definitely catch it in IMAX. Between the gorgeous visuals and excellent soundtrack--IMAX would be the way to go.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:10 PM
This movie has scenes that were specifically shot in IMAX, right?

If so, how much of it was filmed with that expanded ratio?

That will make my decision on whether I see it in Imax or regular theater.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Eh, it was whatever. Some beautiful visuals and thrilling music were certainly its biggest assets, but everything else made for a very dry and bland experience. I went in with practically no expectations hoping to be surprised but the film ended up doing nothing for me with its predictable story and completely uninteresting lead character.

It's a technical marvel for sure though, and for those interested in seeing the film I'd say that IMAX is the best way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
If so, how much of it was filmed with that expanded ratio?
I saw it on IMAX and I didn't notice any ratio difference throughout the film (unlike something like The Dark Knight Rises which was constantly switching ratios on IMAX). The whole thing looked pretty great and while I didn't necessarily enjoy what the film had to offer story/character wise, the IMAX experience definitely made it worthwhile. I'd say it's the best way to go.

Last edited by Reckoner; 04-19-2013 at 02:55 PM..
Old 04-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Maybe the IMAX had some sort of influence on me, but I'm giving this a recommendation just in that format alone. The visuals are beautiful and the soundtrack, while reminiscent of the too much "Whaaaaammm!" of Hans Zimmer, is so good that I purchased it from iTunes. Oblivion is Kosinski knowingly cobbling bits and pieces from other, better sci-fi films but what we have here is solid enough that I appreciated it. Too many chefs in this kitchen lead to the film losing a little steam in the last act. I really enjoyed staying above the planet's surface with Harper (Cruise) and his lover Victoria. Andrea Riseborough is sexy, gorgeous and plain good in her role. Her chemistry with Cruise leads to a fantastic melding of sight and sound with a nighttime pool sequence.

Also,

Spoiler:
the reveal of Sally as a giant surround sound speaker God was chilling and works perfectly as a twist to actually seeing Melissa Leo's face on a screen but never in person the whole time. Kinda great

7/10

Last edited by Lazy Boy; 04-19-2013 at 05:55 PM..
Old 04-19-2013, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
Her chemistry with Cruise leads to a fantastic melding of sight and sound with a nighttime pool sequence.
Completely agree, that was certainly the stand-out scene for me as well (do you happen to know of the name of the specific track that plays during it?)
Old 04-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Completely agree, that was certainly the stand-out scene for me as well (do you happen to know of the name of the specific track that plays during it?)
I believe it's "StarWaves"
Old 04-19-2013, 05:09 PM
Kosinski is 2 for 2 in my book! I loved Tron: Legacy so much and this movie is fantastic.

The visuals are perfect, top notch, the vision of this post apocalyptic world are some of the best I have ever seen.

The performances are all top notch, although in her last 2 movies, I have been thinking Melissa Leo wasn't the best, even though I love her (This and Olympus Has Fallen)

Spoiler:
The twists, were fantastic and had me analyzing it until the very end, I loved the radiation zone was the boundaries for each clone of Cruise.

Just a solid Science Fiction movie

Spoiler:
And I agree with the influences you all mention, Moon and ID4 are the big ones I noticed while watching it

I have to read up on the Imax stuff, cuz I saw it in Imax, and there were no aspect ratio changes, but the filmn had the ratio of IMAx, so I wonder how it was filmed, due to Imax film stock being too expensive and loud to film the entire move with!
Old 04-19-2013, 05:30 PM
I just got back from this and I liked it. I wasn't blown away but the story was good, the acting was great, and I really dug the end of the film. Tom Cruise is gold in my book and he didn't disappoint with Oblivion. It has the look and feel of a big summer blockbuster but it isn't, great job on the release timing because I have a feeling if it was released after iron man 3 or star trek it may have failed box office wise.

Whew... 3 movies at the theater in one week. Trance, The Place Beyond the Pines, and Oblivion. I gotta say I enjoyed Oblivion more than the other two.

1-10, I give it an 8.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
Kosinski is 2 for 2 in my book! I loved Tron: Legacy so much and this movie is fantastic.

The visuals are perfect, top notch, the vision of this post apocalyptic world are some of the best I have ever seen.

The performances are all top notch, although in her last 2 movies, I have been thinking Melissa Leo wasn't the best, even though I love her (This and Olympus Has Fallen)

Spoiler:
The twists, were fantastic and had me analyzing it until the very end, I loved the radiation zone was the boundaries for each clone of Cruise.

Just a solid Science Fiction movie

Spoiler:
And I agree with the influences you all mention, Moon and ID4 are the big ones I noticed while watching it

I have to read up on the Imax stuff, cuz I saw it in Imax, and there were no aspect ratio changes, but the filmn had the ratio of IMAx, so I wonder how it was filmed, due to Imax film stock being too expensive and loud to film the entire move with!
The film was shot entirely with 4K cameras which I think allowed them to expand and enhance the image to a bigger IMAX size than is usually allowed with regular film to IMAX conversions.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:36 PM
wow all these positive reviews from you guys is really making me want to see it in IMAX now. I'll definitely be catching it next weekend in IMAX for sure.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:00 AM
Saw this tonight and really enjoyed it. Some pretty great twist its best to go in knowing as little as possible, that is what I did and I had a good time with it. Pretty solid cast I was happy to see Nikolaj Coster-Waldau in there from Game of Thrones one of my favorite actors. And the movie was just beautiful to look at, wish I could've checked it out in IMAX but it still looked good on the regular screen too.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:52 PM
So yes, indeed, count me in as one of those who greatly enjoyed the film. Elements are indeed derivative of other scifi works, but that didn't hinder my enjoyment at all. I think of it as a scifi smoothie; a bit sugary, blended together, but ultimately delicious. This movie stands out for me for a variety of reasons, much of which has to do with the thought and themes put behind it all. This isn't a case of overwhelming f/x; the f/x work is absolutely stunning and used to create a tangible, gorgeous universe. These visuals are absolutely incredible, and are clearly the work of someone with great artistic talent. Some of the twists I saw coming, others took me for a big surprise. It's all constructed in a way that feels legitimate, though, and like the film is attempting to be something more than just a candy coated scifi blockbuster. And it certainly is. The film feels moody and well constructed, and ultimately a piece unto its own. This isn't trying to set up a new franchise nor is there a huge amount of action. The action, elegantly and cleanly shot, enhances the story at hand, but never overwhelms it. The film stops to build characters and its world. Shared moments create stronger ties. The pool scene, mentioned above, took my breath away.

Cruise is a great anchor, brooding and thoughtful and still our best screen runner. The tech is fascinating and cool and used to create greater thematic points. Morgan Freeman has one of his best film entrances ever. Plus, Cruise has two wonderful ladies to play off of; both Olga and Andrea impressed me greatly with their work.

Best of all is M83's score, which I think takes the film to the next level.

Last edited by SpikeDurden; 04-21-2013 at 02:55 PM..
Old 04-22-2013, 07:59 AM
No matter how many times i see it on T.V or in a film,the visual of a desolate big city,and it's
massive buildings and landmarks barren and partially intact can still inspire awe.
In Oblivion the aforementioned landmarks are buried in moss and grass covered
canyons,and waterfalls.

Oblivion is one of those films in which the visuals are so stunning and the SFX are so sleek,i have to
respect the hard work and i can partially forgive the films plotholes,multiple endings,and drawn out
guess what Sci-Fi movie we borrowed this scene from plot.The plot involves a drone repairman named
Jack Harper (Tom Cruise) who along with his communications officer and lover Victoria (Andrea Riseborough)
head an operation to extract any remaining resources left on Earth after a great battle with the alien Scavs
60 years ago in the year 2017 made Earth a wasteland.

Why is Jack having vivid flashbacks/dreams of another woman named Julia (Olga Kurylenko)?
Why are a group of people all dressed in black and lead by a man named Malcolm Beech (Morgan Freeman
wearing the coolest almost Darth Vader outfit ever!!)living underground?

The leads all do a fine job,but the semi love triangle between Cruise,Riseborough and Kurylenko
never feels believeable,no intensity just ho hum feel to it.

While Oblivion isnt a home run it's still interesting enough and stunning to at least make it to second base.
Im looking forward to reading the graphic novel on which the film is based.

Scale of 1-10 a 7
Old 04-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Potential Morgan Freeman Spoiler...

Spoiler:
It's interesting that Morgan Freeman is getting co-star credit even though he's really only in the film for what, 5-10 minutes?
Old 04-24-2013, 11:19 PM
Tom Cruise in April. odd
Old 04-26-2013, 06:25 PM

well that fuckin sucked. I must have watched a completely different film than all of you cause I fuckin hated it.

Never have I been so bored. Sure the score and of course the visuals/cgi were impressive but thats about it.

The story went absolutely no where and I didnt give a shit about any of the characters

I'll give this a very modest 5/10
Old 04-27-2013, 09:35 AM
I thought it was shockingly good. Although it was not particularly original as far as science fiction goes, it was very well made and Tom Cruise brought his usual A-game.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone. It was one of the best pure scifi movies I have seen in a very very long time.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Pretty damn good sci-fi movie. 8/10
Old 04-29-2013, 12:09 AM
I just got back from seeing this movie and I really liked it, but Tom Cruise needs to step it up in a major way. His formula for a movie is almost exactly the same everytime over the last 10 or so years. That formula works and is entertaining, but boring at the same time. Half way through I thought to myself, Jack Reacher, MI2 and MI3 and MI4, Knight and Day, War of the Worlds, Minority Report (1000%), The Last Samurai, fuck damn near all his movie have the exact same format and formula and that is why he is not the star he used to be. He plays the same character in all those movies I listed. Think back, what characters did we (well me) love the most from Tom in recent years? Jerry Maguire, Frank Mackey and the best was Les Grossman.

That said, the story is sound. The acting is well done. Olga Kurylenko is a really pretty women, even without makeup. The special effects is top notch. I really hated the very end. Very typical and predictable. I give it a 7/10. I will probably watch it one more time this year on dvd and maybe 2 or 3 times in the next 15 years. Decent movie and forgetable at the same time.

That is why I say Tom needs to break out of his story telling formula. Same could be said about Will Smith who is following in Tom's steps. When was the last time we got a good and fun type film from either of these two guys? Knight and Day was a piss poor attempt. I say except for Tropic Thunder, which he did not star in it would be A Few Good Men. Will Smith seems like he is dying. Even Men in Black, he went from a fun loving type to a bitter, angry, lonely, humorless agent type. Hitch is his last movie that he seemed to be a happy fun living guy and that was in 2005.

Anyway 7/10 for Oblivion. It would have been nice to see at least what the aliens looked like
Old 04-29-2013, 07:11 AM
I woke up this morning wondering something about the movie.
Spoiler:
What happened to all the other Jack and Victoria teams after the alien ship was destroyed? We know there were at least 50 other Jacks and 51 Victorias.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
I just got back from seeing this movie and I really liked it, but Tom Cruise needs to step it up in a major way. His formula for a movie is almost exactly the same everytime over the last 10 or so years. That formula works and is entertaining, but boring at the same time. Half way through I thought to myself, Jack Reacher, MI2 and MI3 and MI4, Knight and Day, War of the Worlds, Minority Report (1000%), The Last Samurai, fuck damn near all his movie have the exact same format and formula and that is why he is not the star he used to be. He plays the same character in all those movies I listed. Think back, what characters did we (well me) love the most from Tom in recent years? Jerry Maguire, Frank Mackey and the best was Les Grossman.

That said, the story is sound. The acting is well done. Olga Kurylenko is a really pretty women, even without makeup. The special effects is top notch. I really hated the very end. Very typical and predictable. I give it a 7/10. I will probably watch it one more time this year on dvd and maybe 2 or 3 times in the next 15 years. Decent movie and forgetable at the same time.

That is why I say Tom needs to break out of his story telling formula. Same could be said about Will Smith who is following in Tom's steps. When was the last time we got a good and fun type film from either of these two guys? Knight and Day was a piss poor attempt. I say except for Tropic Thunder, which he did not star in it would be A Few Good Men. Will Smith seems like he is dying. Even Men in Black, he went from a fun loving type to a bitter, angry, lonely, humorless agent type. Hitch is his last movie that he seemed to be a happy fun living guy and that was in 2005.

Anyway 7/10 for Oblivion. It would have been nice to see at least what the aliens looked like
Spoiler:
There were no aliens.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
Spoiler:
There were no aliens.
This is how I understood it.

Spoiler:
Sure there were. What was Sally? Why would they need to pilfer earth's resources if not to support some kind of life? My understanding is that there were aliens, but we just never get a clear idea of what form they take. Is the giant ship in the sky like Brainiac, just artificial intelligence? I don't think it's ever really sorted out.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston_79 View Post
This is how I understood it.

Spoiler:
Sure there were. What was Sally? Why would they need to pilfer earth's resources if not to support some kind of life? My understanding is that there were aliens, but we just never get a clear idea of what form they take. Is the giant ship in the sky like Brainiac, just artificial intelligence? I don't think it's ever really sorted out.
Spoiler:
I assumed he was talking about the aliens that were supposedly on earth (that invaded) seen scurrying around, which were of course just actually humans in their clever costumes. As for Sally, that's a different story and not what I thought Erroneous was talking about. She's clearly a very cognizant and high functioning piece of artificial intelligence. As to who/what she serves (other than herself, of course) I don't think it really matters.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Spoiler:
There were no aliens that invaded Earth, this was made clear in the movie. Whether or not the Tet was ultimately sent there by aliens or not was never clarified.

As for the other Jacks and Vicas, they probably all died of starvation right? Assuming all the alien tech stopped working just like the drones did, then they would have all died of starvation in their above ground houses with no way to get down or call for help.

The only reason that other Jack happened to survive was because he got trapped on the ground when Tech 49 stole his craft.

Personally I thought a better ending instead of the happy one they tried to give in the last 30 seconds, would have been to show a scene of all the Jacks and Vicas dropping dead across the Earth when the Tet was destroyed, similar to how we saw the drones drop dead.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Spoiler:
There were no aliens that invaded Earth, this was made clear in the movie. Whether or not the Tet was ultimately sent there by aliens or not was never clarified.

As for the other Jacks and Vicas, they probably all died of starvation right? Assuming all the alien tech stopped working just like the drones did, then they would have all died of starvation in their above ground houses with no way to get down or call for help.

The only reason that other Jack happened to survive was because he got trapped on the ground when Tech 49 stole his craft.

Personally I thought a better ending instead of the happy one they tried to give in the last 30 seconds, would have been to show a scene of all the Jacks and Vicas dropping dead across the Earth when the Tet was destroyed, similar to how we saw the drones drop dead.

Spoiler:
Why would you think that they had no way to get down? Every station had an air vehicle. I'd imagine that after going a while without food, they'd set out and start exploring.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz68 View Post
Spoiler:
Why would you think that they had no way to get down? Every station had an air vehicle. I'd imagine that after going a while without food, they'd set out and start exploring.
Spoiler:
Yeah I don't see them getting down as a problem. I also don't think they would starve to death that quickly. They portrayed Jack as being an exceptional human being, so I think he would figure something out.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz68 View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I said that was assuming all their tech stopped working like the drones did. No technology = no way in hell they are getting down lol.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 PM
I don't know what you people are talking about. lol

Humans did not make the clones and attack the earth and ....... ect, ect, ect
Old 05-01-2013, 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
I don't know what you people are talking about. lol

Humans did not make the clones and attack the earth and ....... ect, ect, ect
Nobody said that. At all.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Earth was most certainly
Spoiler:
attacked by aliens. The twist here is that instead of them doing the dirty work, they captured a couple of humans, cloned them, and let them go about wiping out humanity. Even more brilliant on the part of the aliens is that they then left some of the clones behind to watch over the mining operations while they all moved on to their next target.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Fun movie. Interesting twist. Lots of borrowing or "homages" to other sci-fi flicks. Andrea Riseborough was smokin' hot; in the end, I didn't think it was anything special.

7/10