Old 11-17-2012, 03:00 AM
Twilight Fan Hate & Mockery

The chances are good that you know what it means to be a fan. I’d like to think that everyone is a fan of something, whether it be broad topics like sports or movies or classical music, or more specific fandoms like being a diehard Yankees fan, loving Harry Potter, or relishing the work of Beethoven. Being a fan inspires passion within: looking at pictures, remembering stats and facts, anticipating new chapters or sequels or the upcoming game, discussing and analyzing with friends, purchasing merchandise. In life we latch on to things and bonds form that fill our time and enrich our existence. I believe this is something we can all understand.

The fandom that has emerged surrounding Twilight is fascinating. It is nothing short of a phenomenon, beginning with Stephanie Meyer’s books and continuing on to the hugely successful film franchise. The series has catapulted its young leads into stardom, made billions of dollars worldwide, sold merchandise and spurned events – all things a fandom tends to do. Yet no modern success story has received nearly as much mockery and, frankly, obnoxious and disgusting hate. I suppose that on an objective level, both the Twilight novels and films are qualitatively bad. But this should not matter. Many of the millions of Twilight fans out there are intelligent and independent young women (and men too, indeed) that enjoy the teen angst, romantic melodrama, and supernatural undercurrents that the Twilight series provides. They are no different than the Batman fans or the Harry Potter fans or the men who go to the Football game every Sunday and paint their face in support of the team they love. They are no different than film critics, who are surely (I would hope!) such passionate fans of film that they have decided to make it a profession or strong hobby. Sure, like all things there are those that have allowed their obsession to reach unhealthy and potentially creepy levels, but that extends to all things, and certainly not just Twilight. Yet the mockery and hate continues and reaches levels that can only be described as vitriolic. Twilight is undoubtedly an easy target. It is the rare franchise targeted more towards females than males, it features a strong romantic element, there is some questionable religious and sexual subtext, and it’s frankly pretty silly. These are all easy things to mock. But do any of these Twilight fans sit around and mock or exude hate upon Batman or Football? Do they send tweets making fun of those waiting in line to see the film or use awful terms like “Twitards,” a spin on the fan name “Twihards?” No. Or at least not to the extremes and extent with which their own fandom receives it. It’s a shame, and it upsets me. All fandoms deserve respect from each other because we’re all in this together. We are merely living our lives and finding comfort and enjoyment in sports or entertainment. Why should what I choose to like be any better than what you choose to like, and why then should I express this in a derogatory fashion? I shouldn’t. You shouldn’t. Nobody should.

And no, for the record, I'm not a Twilight fan. Which also shouldn't matter.

Last edited by SpikeDurden; 11-17-2012 at 03:03 AM..
Old 11-17-2012, 09:01 AM
The series is pretty terrible but I see no point in actively hating something when I'm too lazy to do more than just ignore something I don't like.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:21 AM
Well said.

Most people make fun of things they do not understand and are unable to open their minds. It is easier to make fun of it rather than try to understand it or accept the difference in opinon from others. Making fun of it and the people who follow it, makes those people feel better about themselves.

I have been forced to see these movies, but I get sex out of it, so it is a win win. Honestly, they are not all that bad. Very chickish, but well done. The special effects are very well done. I can't stand when people say, "Vampires don't sparkle.", because 1 vampires are fictional and 2 in Twilight they do. There is a huge market 50% just I checked for marketing movies to the female half of our species. I think people just need to live with the fact that Twilight and others like it are not meant or marketed to them and move on.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magjournal View Post
The series is pretty terrible but I see no point in actively hating something when I'm too lazy to do more than just ignore something I don't like.
Just out of curiousity, what is so terrible about them?
The story is actually better than most blockbusters out these days.
The special effects and top notch.
There are some pretty decent actors in this series. Certainly much better than most blockbusters at least.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Just out of curiousity, what is so terrible about them?
The story is actually better than most blockbusters out these days.
The special effects and top notch.
There are some pretty decent actors in this series. Certainly much better than most blockbusters at least.
The story is stagnant, the visual effects are pretty mediocre despite the fact that the movies have an impressive budget, the dialogue is atrocious, and the acting is incredibly wooden (at least in stupid blockbsuters like Fast Five, the actors have some charisma). It's the WORST kind of blockbuster. It doesn't have the intelligence of something like Skyfall nor does it have any of the fun of something like The Expendables 2. It's just so bland.

And there are plenty of movies directed at females that I can enjoy. The Twilight series, however, is bad, regardless of demographic.

Last edited by magjournal; 11-17-2012 at 11:19 AM..
Old 11-17-2012, 01:13 PM
I really enjoy the Twilight movies. I agree with the OP, it doesn't deserve the hate it receives. It's FAR better IMO than movies like the Harry Potter, Pirates of the Carribbean and Lord of the Rings series!
Old 11-17-2012, 01:47 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised by the response to this thread thus far, particularly when I've seen some very derogatory words used towards this franchise on this very forum.

I'd also like to add that I've seen many grown men over the past few days exulting in joy that this franchise is over. What exactly has the franchise done to these grown men, and why do they really care that it's over? They could simply choose not to see the films and thus it has no affect on their lives whatsoever. I don't get it.

Anyways, thanks for being mature. It made my day just a tad better.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:53 PM
I just hate Twilight because of all the spammers on the forum when a new movie comes out.

I never watched or cared about it so i really don't actually have any opinion. But , man , these WATCH FREE ONLINE posts are annoying as fuck.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:32 PM
The Twilight movies are the kind of bad that can be really entertaining. So for that at least I applaud them. There's certainly no reason to be so overtly hateful.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:42 PM
The only real venom I've had for Twilight recently was for kicking the last Cloud Atlas screening by me out of the theater.

Other than that, I could care less for this series. I've seen all the films on cable and they are certainly terrible, but I don't really harbor any ill will towards them or the fans that enjoy them.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
I'm pleasantly surprised by the response to this thread thus far, particularly when I've seen some very derogatory words used towards this franchise on this very forum.

I'd also like to add that I've seen many grown men over the past few days exulting in joy that this franchise is over. What exactly has the franchise done to these grown men, and why do they really care that it's over? They could simply choose not to see the films and thus it has no affect on their lives whatsoever. I don't get it.

Anyways, thanks for being mature. It made my day just a tad better.
I'm rather glad it's over. That has less to do with the movie's themselves than it does with movie theaters unfortunately giving these movies 5 or 6 screens to them which for a moviegoer like myself who likes to have more movies to choose from, more variety, more screens for these movies means less variety. So yeah, fuck that. I'm glad this franchise is over with now.

I was also glad that the Transformers franchise was over when I thought Michael Bay had said the last one would be his last. Obviously he, unfortunately, changed his mind.

But I wouldn't call this franchise bad, more mediocre really. I mean, New Moon was awful. But the rest of the films were mostly mediocre. Although I have to confess to actually kind of liking Breaking Dawn Part 1. Despite that though, my expectations for Part 2 are very low.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:02 AM
The Twilight saga is complete and utter crap as far as I'm concerned (my opinion). That's all there is to it. There, I said it. But I hold no intense hatred for the fans out there. And I am willing to bet that the books are actually alot better? I also hate that PA series. But once again, I hate the series, not the people who love it. The thing, is one of my friends here on this forum is a fan of both of these franchises, and I certainly don't hate him. Not even remotely. He knows who he is. We all have a difference of opinion. And when I say that I hate a movie, it doesn't mean I want to go out and kill anybody because they are a fan. And that also applies to fans of anything. I am a big fan of Arnie's films. If somebody hates Arnie's movies, then whatever. I won't hate them. It doesn't affect my viewing pleasure in the very least. And in turn, I hope that they don't hate on me for liking those flicks. So, you see, jaw, I don't hate you, so I am sorry if you got offended by my comments. You know what I am talking about. Remember, I troll alot. So, not every single comment I make is completely true or accurate, buddy. In closing I will say that I have seen some of these movies out of curiosity, and I wasn't impressed. Although there is one girl. I don't know her name. I liked her alot. Dunno why. As for Twilight being better than LOTR. Hmm...

Last edited by God of War; 11-18-2012 at 05:32 AM..
Old 11-18-2012, 04:42 AM
I read the first book & it was horrible (the vampire baseball scene made me actually groan out loud). So I stay as far away from the movies as possible.
However, I gave the book to my 13 yr. old niece & now, she's a fanatic.
She enjoys the movies, but not as much as the books.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Quote:
The story is stagnant, the visual effects are pretty mediocre despite the fact that the movies have an impressive budget, the dialogue is atrocious, and the acting is incredibly wooden (at least in stupid blockbsuters like Fast Five, the actors have some charisma). It's the WORST kind of blockbuster. It doesn't have the intelligence of something like Skyfall nor does it have any of the fun of something like The Expendables 2. It's just so bland.

And there are plenty of movies directed at females that I can enjoy. The Twilight series, however, is bad, regardless of demographic.
OK cool. That is your opinion. There are millions of women that would disagree with you 100%. I think you might be jaded. I am not a fan and judging them as an independent and I don't know where you are getting half the stuff, but hey your opinion is your opinion. More power to you
Old 11-18-2012, 08:57 AM
My main problem with the Twilight movies was that I was just never able to buy into the Bella/Edward romance. In the first Twilight movie, he treats her like shit and instead of thinking of him as a jerk like she should, it only draws her more to him and I just didn't buy it.

It doesn't help that there isn't much chemistry between the leads and that Pattinson is a pretty bland actor. Although he and Lautner do get better as the franchise goes on. And I will say, in Breaking Dawn, for the first time, I actually did feel the chemistry between them. For whatever reason, Breaking Dawn was the ONE movie in this franchise that managed to get me sort of, semi caught up with the cornball romance. But not the in other movies. I also will say, I liked the tent scene in Eclipse. You could feel the tension between Edward and Jacob in that scene. And Lautner actually gets a chance to do some acting in Breaking Dawn Part 1 since his character actually does some growing.

New Moon aside, the movies do get better as they go along, although I still think it's a pretty mediocre franchise as a whole.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:22 AM
Twilight is bankrupt of anything remotely entertaining or good. That goes for the novels and the films.

If anything, I'd say the books are even worse than the films. Although I only managed to read the first one. At least you laugh at the horrible acting and effects in the movies. Reading the books you just groan out of sheer pain.

And yes, I will freely admit to disliking the fanbase. Not because I hate the material, but from of experience.

My fiance used to work at Borders Booksellers before than went bye-bye, and they had a Twilight party for the release of the first film on DVD. I go to pick her up to have lunch together on her break and the place was a madhouse. Ok, so what? No big deal right? I walk in to look for her (as she was supposed to meet me outside) and what I saw was nothing more than a bunch of tween/teen girls acting like idiots. One group had a life size cutout of Edward they were harassing people with....following people with it and cracking jokes while giggling like idiots. They also were leaving it at ends of aisles to block people.
I saw another group taking Twilight books from the big display they had and placing them over all the other non-Twilight books as if Twilight is the end all be all of literature. I fought the crowd to the cafe where my lady had been kept past her break for obvious reasons. We exchanged looks and I sat down at a table to wait for her.
It was then a little Twilight Q&A began near the children's section of the store due to that being the largest open space. They managed to wrangle most of the girls and quiet them down a tad. The Q&A begun at it hadn't gotten 5 questions in when they started being rude to the employee who was forced to do it.
"These questions are stupid and easy! Why don't you ask us more harder questions?! Like what quote is on what specific page!?"
"Yaaaa, how can everybody NOT GET these questions!? You're making it to easy for everybody to win!"

There was some type of prize to be given away. What I don't remember. My girl finally managed to get out of there and she proceeded to tell me how much of a made house it had been for the 2 hours prior of my showing up.

So ya, I have a dislike of the fanbase. Does that mean ALL fans are like that? No, it doesn't. Does it mean I'm generalizing too harshly? Probably but I don't really care at this point. MY stance also goes for ANY fanbase that acts like retards in public. It doesn't just have to be Twilight. I've been around fanboys and girls before at local Cons and such and I used to frequent a comic shop that always had card tournaments goings on and Cosplay days. And not once did I encounter them acting immature and rude like the Twihards at Borders.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
The Twilight saga is complete and utter crap as far as I'm concerned (my opinion). That's all there is to it. There, I said it. But I hold no intense hatred for the fans out there. And I am willing to bet that the books are actually alot better? I also hate that PA series. But once again, I hate the series, not the people who love it. The thing, is one of my friends here on this forum is a fan of both of these franchises, and I certainly don't hate him. Not even remotely. He knows who he is. We all have a difference of opinion. And when I say that I hate a movie, it doesn't mean I want to go out and kill anybody because they are a fan. And that also applies to fans of anything. I am a big fan of Arnie's films. If somebody hates Arnie's movies, then whatever. I won't hate them. It doesn't affect my viewing pleasure in the very least. And in turn, I hope that they don't hate on me for liking those flicks. So, you see, jaw, I don't hate you, so I am sorry if you got offended by my comments. You know what I am talking about. Remember, I troll alot. So, not every single comment I make is completely true or accurate, buddy. In closing I will say that I have seen some of these movies out of curiosity, and I wasn't impressed. Although there is one girl. I don't know her name. I liked her alot. Dunno why. As for Twilight being better than LOTR. Hmm...

No problem boss, I hear ya and we're cool. I wasn't offended or anything like that at all. Perhaps more annoyed more than anything, but I'm over it.

I can certainly understand someone's dislike for a particular franchise/series of movies. Everyone has an opinion, it's cool you can seperate the material from the fan!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:36 AM
I had to take my little sister to see the 2nd one. 2 hours of my life I will never have back. At least the background scenery is nice.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:46 AM
Personally, I've never hated anyone--especially a fan base for a particular movie because it's not even worth the thought. However, like God of War, I hate the series. The fact that it's utter garbage stems more from its lead actors, terrible cgi (lacks consistency), as well as Bella Swan being a terrible role model for the female teenagers following these movies have accumulated. Additionally, it just seems like a series that possessed no attempt and have actually become a mockery that just becomes more and more ridiculous and somewhat knowingly comedic. But once again, it's just an opinion.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:48 PM
I don't hate the twilight films or twilight fans because I think "hate" is too strong a word to describe how I feel about the films, (although I think anyone who regards twilight as having any sort of substance to it is lacking good taste and good judgment concerning films/books). I don't want to be obnoxious in my criticisms of the franchise either, but...

The Twilight franchise sucks and the movies are only enjoyable on a so bad it's good level. Just my honest opinion.

Legions of fans who pine over every new twilight release seldom bother me though. Let those who like the films/books to satiate a desire for a guilty pleasure do so, and as for the people who believe that Twilight actually has substance...well...no need to hate, not everyone can have good taste.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:22 PM
vampires do not sparkle in sunlight period..they burst into flame
Old 11-20-2012, 03:50 AM
Having lived the past 3 years of my life with a stepdaughter in her teens and who also happens to be a massive Twilight fan, I consider myself to be eligible to give my own views on the phenomenon. Ive also seen the first film and random bits and bobs from the others.

I totally agree that anyone should be allowed to be a fan of anything they like and should be allowed to do so without being mocked because of it. Lord knows ive been a fan of some crazy shit in my time, those of us who werent around back in the day have surely seen old news footage of the Beatles arriving at gigs and being surrounded by all sorts of crazy which makes Twilight fans look like lightweights in comparison.

However, heres my beef with the whole thing... The films have been practically engineered to generate a response with a target demographic, the keyword here being engineered. We are not speaking of movie making anymore in the traditional sense. Everything in Twilight feels ( and probably is ) carefully planned and crafted with the sole purpose of generating tingles in the clits of teenage girls.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:59 PM
I have broken down the entire Twilight Saga into the below.

Girl meets undead vampire. Girl falls in love with unholy creature of the night/day. Vampire falls in love with girl. Overgrown furball gets green with jealousy, and falls in love with girl. Girl plays both sides. Girl becomes slut. Slut gets her her pork on one hairy, and one stone cold fork. Slut prefers cold man flesh to over grown hair ball with bad attitude and smelly canine breath. Slut has off spring to vampire. Furball has to accept it and gets all shitty over it. Crap sticks to fur.

The very foundation is quite simply a slut who prefers to fuck the undead rather than a lycanthrope. So, not only is she a slut, she is also into bestiality.

Last edited by God of War; 11-21-2012 at 12:02 AM..
Old 11-21-2012, 05:37 AM
http://www.magjournal.net/in-defense-of-twilight/

My blog post, "In Defense of Twilight," in which I call out the people celebrating the end of Twilight.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:57 AM
Edward: Do you have a taxi ready for the date?
Bella: There's a taxi over there.
Edward: Fart box.

See what I mean, writing Twilight is harder than it looks.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Quote:

Girl meets undead vampire. Girl falls in love with unholy creature of the night/day. Vampire falls in love with girl. Overgrown furball gets green with jealousy, and falls in love with girl. Girl plays both sides. Girl becomes slut. Slut gets her her pork on one hairy, and one stone cold fork. Slut prefers cold man flesh to over grown hair ball with bad attitude and smelly canine breath. Slut has off spring to vampire. Furball has to accept it and gets all shitty over it. Crap sticks to fur.

The very foundation is quite simply a slut who prefers to fuck the undead rather than a lycanthrope. So, not only is she a slut, she is also into bestiality.
I don't even really have a problem with the quasi-polygamous relationship depicted in the films, I just think they're very poorly written, acted, and executed.

Also, why is it that when we see a movie in which the protagonist is a woman and she is conflicted with choosing between two love interests that she is often labeled a slut or a whore if she has feelings for both? We praise this behavior when the situation is reversed with a male choosing between two females, yet often condemn it when a female is given the same choice. Society is hypocritcal sometimes, no?

If Bella is a slut, James Bond is an even bigger slut.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycheoutsteve View Post
I don't even really have a problem with the quasi-polygamous relationship depicted in the films, I just think they're very poorly written, acted, and executed.

Also, why is it that when we see a movie in which the protagonist is a woman and she is conflicted with choosing between two love interests that she is often labeled a slut or a whore if she has feelings for both? We praise this behavior when the situation is reversed with a male choosing between two females, yet often condemn it when a female is given the same choice. Society is hypocritcal sometimes, no?

I agree with you, but I think the big difference is that a man conflicted between two women need not necessarily MANIPULATE those women. And as for James Bond being a slut, I agree, but at the same time, Casino Royale did a great job of giving a reason towards why he uses women for sex. If Bella Swan had a backstory or was given a reason why she manipulates men, or maybe if she wasn't like 18 years old, it would be more acceptable. Oh, and also, most of Bond's relationships are carnal while Bella plays with guys for love; much more long-term.

Just how I see it personally.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Quote:

yes l think some of the twilight saga was abit over the top

But l ahve to admit l didnt mind 4 movies but the current one got on my nerves

There was way to much talking then a few sexual acts and then we went into a huge fight between vampires where there were certain characters losing there heads in a very twisted manner and then sudderly we come back from a dream

Why the hell did they do this l was getting really into the fight seen and then it was just a dream abotu who would win in the end

iI just feel that breaking dawn was so over the top and should ahve been better directed
Old 11-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Quote:
I agree with you, but I think the big difference is that a man conflicted between two women need not necessarily MANIPULATE those women. And as for James Bond being a slut, I agree, but at the same time, Casino Royale did a great job of giving a reason towards why he uses women for sex. If Bella Swan had a backstory or was given a reason why she manipulates men, or maybe if she wasn't like 18 years old, it would be more acceptable. Oh, and also, most of Bond's relationships are carnal while Bella plays with guys for love; much more long-term.

Just how I see it personally.
I appreciate your perspective on this topic, but I feel like that logic doesn't quite hold up for me. Whenever Bond or some other male character causes a love triangle or has several brief flings with women, society typically deems it charm. If a female character engages in the same situations, society typically deems it manipulation. As long as the male character is of consenting age, no one really cares exactly how young or old he is. On the other hand, for some reason it's an especially big deal if the main character is a young woman.

Providing logic for why James Bond frequently sleeps around and uses women to satisfy some psychological/carnal need doesn't make his actions more justifiable than Bella's. It makes him a more dynamic character because the story he's in is more detailed, interesting, and compelling, but that's all.

Also, I should think that choosing one full time relationship with one of two possible candidates would be more morally permissible than just using a bunch of people for sex, but that's just me.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:52 PM
Quote:
I just think they're very poorly written, acted, and executed.
Agreed 100%. This much is certain.
Quote:
Also, why is it that when we see a movie in which the protagonist is a woman and she is conflicted with choosing between two love interests that she is often labeled a slut or a whore if she has feelings for both?
There's an old expression... If the shoe fits, wear it.
Quote:
We praise this behavior when the situation is reversed with a male choosing between two females, yet often condemn it when a female is given the same choice.
We is a very broad range given the discussion. For me personally I have never ever praised the given situations in both real life, on screen/off screen of males who have more than one female at once at their disposal. I think it's degrading to the woman, and the man in question. I dislike sluts. And by the same token I despise men who do the very same thing. In real life that is. In movies I couldn't give a shit.
Quote:
Society is hypocritcal sometimes, no?
No. Not sometimes. All of the time.
Quote:
Not if. She is a slut. And realistically, you can't compare Bond to Bella. Bond has style. Bella has no style. She is just your average everyday girl at best. While on the other hand, James Bond is all about style and finesse. Yes, he has put more female pork on his undercover fork than most males in any given life time. But that is besides the point here. Bond is cool. Bella is a dumbass. And I am not being sexist or prejudice against the girls here. Bella IS a dumbass. But hey, at the end of the day she has a much fatter bank balance than you, me, and just about anybody else we know. So, being paid to act like a slut is worth her while, no?

Last edited by God of War; 11-21-2012 at 10:58 PM..
Old 11-22-2012, 12:42 AM
Bond is a "player" no doubt about that. Though in his defense, it's hard to sustain a relationship in his line of work.

On the other hand, to call Bella a slut is patently ridiculous and absurd. And there was never much of a triangle romance in these movies. I mean, Jacob crushed on Bella, but Bella was never in love with Jacob. She cared about him, but they were never more than friends and Jacob's love was definitely unrequited. So, yeah. No real love triangle. Bella always belonged to Edward.

Look at me, defending Twilight and I don't even like Twilight. I mean, I don't hate it, but it's definitely been a pretty mediocre franchise.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:48 AM
It's a shame these movies had to be called Twilight since prior to these novels ever being written there was another, much better movie called Twilight that starred Paul Newman, Susan Surandon and Gene Hackman. Reese Witherspoon showed her breasts in that movie too!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
And there was never much of a triangle romance in these movies. I mean, Jacob crushed on Bella, but Bella was never in love with Jacob. She cared about him, but they were never more than friends and Jacob's love was definitely unrequited. So, yeah. No real love triangle. Bella always belonged to Edward.
Sounds almost like The Young & The Restless, but with supernatural creatures in it
Old 11-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Yeah I never understood it either, just let people like what they want, and just like what you want.

My girlfriends a fan so i have to go see them with her, but she always comes to movies she doesn't want to see with me, so it evens out
Old 11-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Why is Twilight hated? Let me tell you:

-atrocious source material
-atrocious acting (especially from Kristen Stewart)
-atrocious directing
-atrocious writing

What's the worst aspect? It inspires copy cats and rehashes.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:17 PM
Well in my opinion the acting in Twilight 1,2,3,4 was quite good

But the 5th movie was sort of out of place meaning part two

I felt as though you were in one scenio and then flicked to other
Old 11-25-2012, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by razgriz21 View Post

-atrocious directing
-atrocious writing

We have a winner
Old 11-25-2012, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by razgriz21 View Post

-atrocious directing
-atrocious writing

Should anyone go to all the trouble of actually investing enough emotion into something they don't like just to express that they hate it? I think that's the question here in this thread. There are plenty of movies out there that have all the aspects you mentioned, but not all of them have inspired the hate that Twilight has inspired. This hatred has also been put upon the fans, mostly because certain people just can't accept that other people like the films and books.

Like i said before, I would only go so far as to say that those who think Twilight is well written and acted have questionable tastes. I don't hate anybody who likes the franchise, and I don't even hate the franchise itself. I don't like it, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate it.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Quote:

I definitely disagree when you generalize that all movie watchers will easily identify a woman who participates in a love triangle as a slut but if it were a man we'd probably praise him or simply see it as typical. Spider-Man 3 comes to mind as being the easiest example of this act in practice. Peter was infected by a foreign goo (Venom) that increased both his testosterone and hormone levels which in essence created a completely different Peter Parker thus him getting a sudden interest in Gwen having only recently breaking up with MJ.

With James Bond, yes he is a slut, and it's been mentioned in numerous movies as an ongoing element of his character, but to a certain extent, Bond isn't in the wrong here. Every time he sleeps with a woman it's normally not under false pretenses that he's in love with her and wants to make her Mrs. Bond, it's typically a one-night stand. Whereas with Bella, at least how she's portrayed in the movies, as someone who can't seem to make up her mind about what she wants and in the end, it doesn't matter who she hurts just as long as she's happy. Bella is labeled as a slut by many who watch the movies--not just a group of secretly repressed misogynists--because of her constant need for affection from the 'loner' who seems different from the rest who don't really notice her. Once she obtains this attention, and is later abandoned by this lover, she seeks companionship with her best friend who is secretly in love with her. Now, this is what best friends are for of course, but Bella makes the decision to take this relationship one step further and explore the possibilities of being with this best friend. Later, upon numerous reckless behavioral acts, she decides she'll abandon this best friend in an effort to reclaim her former lover.

I guess, like most things, words have conceptual definitions that aren't applicable in all contexts and should be first defined before a proper discussion can be conducted in order to avoid going on endless rants
Old 11-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
I definitely disagree when you generalize that all movie watchers will easily identify a woman who participates in a love triangle as a slut but if it were a man we'd probably praise him or simply see it as typical. Spider-Man 3 comes to mind as being the easiest example of this act in practice. Peter was infected by a foreign goo (Venom) that increased both his testosterone and hormone levels which in essence created a completely different Peter Parker thus him getting a sudden interest in Gwen having only recently breaking up with MJ.

With James Bond, yes he is a slut, and it's been mentioned in numerous movies as an ongoing element of his character, but to a certain extent, Bond isn't in the wrong here. Every time he sleeps with a woman it's normally not under false pretenses that he's in love with her and wants to make her Mrs. Bond, it's typically a one-night stand. Whereas with Bella, at least how she's portrayed in the movies, as someone who can't seem to make up her mind about what she wants and in the end, it doesn't matter who she hurts just as long as she's happy. Bella is labeled as a slut by many who watch the movies--not just a group of secretly repressed misogynists--because of her constant need for affection from the 'loner' who seems different from the rest who don't really notice her. Once she obtains this attention, and is later abandoned by this lover, she seeks companionship with her best friend who is secretly in love with her. Now, this is what best friends are for of course, but Bella makes the decision to take this relationship one step further and explore the possibilities of being with this best friend. Later, upon numerous reckless behavioral acts, she decides she'll abandon this best friend in an effort to reclaim her former lover.

I guess, like most things, words have conceptual definitions that aren't applicable in all contexts and should be first defined before a proper discussion can be conducted in order to avoid going on endless rants
Read my words more carefully. I said that people OFTEN make those judgments, not that all people do. I didn't generalize, but the aforementioned subject is something that happens quite often in our society.

Spider man 3? Really? That's the example you revert to? It's clear that the intention of the filmmakers was not to have us support Peter's choices during those scenes because he wasn't in his right mind when he made them. It's less black and white with James Bond. As I said before, you can toss around all the explanations you want about why Bond sleeps around so much, but in the end they only give credit to the writers and their intent to explore Bond's psyche. The explanations DON'T JUSTIFY his actions, they merely make him a more dynamic character.

Bella's a one note character for sure, but why would anyone call her a slut when she didn't even cheat on anyone? She didn't even intend to hurt anyone, IMO. Also, I think you've pretty much just injected your own theories on the motivations and actions of her character instead of just translating what the movie presented them as.